PDA

View Full Version : A question on train spawns

Pat Pattle
August 11th, 2015, 23:01
There are no passenger trains in cfs3. So I set about making a standalone of the b_boxcar, butchering the texture and renaming it to b_carriage. I now have a crude passenger carriage (in GWR colours of course).

I'd like to see more passenger trains about so does anyone know (thinking of you Daiwilleti!) how I can make a passenger train spawn please? I've looked at the spawn files for trains but am none the wiser.

Thanks,

Clive

mrjmaint
August 12th, 2015, 06:22
You would need to make a xml in the spawns folder that builds your train. The cars are selected using the "Pick Type" that is in the .xdp file of your passenger car. For an example see some of the train spawn xml files that are already there.

After you have your train xml file built you need to have it as a choice in the railtraffic.spawns file if you want it to show in a campaign or if you are using random spawns while flying missions.

If you want to make a mission specifically for your spawns you will have to make your own .spawns file calling your train xml file for use in the mission.

Pat Pattle
August 12th, 2015, 12:24
Great, thanks Mitch! That did the trick. :wavey:

Here's the train, a bit rough and ready but I wanted to see if I could do it. I may have a go at a proper UK outline engine and carriage one day or are there some around already? I think Charlie made a Castle class some time back. Why didn't M$ put a tender with the loco???

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/cfs3%20testing/fd3d57d0-a02d-4bc0-ab1e-7f0611d38d60_zpsvj0uuwvx.jpg

Daiwilletti
August 12th, 2015, 13:58
Looks like you have your xml file set up. You can add it to the list in the ground.spawns file, as an additional line, if you want to see even more trains. You need to amend the die size entry as you add entries.

For example I like to have more variety in the random ship spawns, so I have three entries each for friendly and enemy ships in the ground.spawns file. The die size is increased by 6 to get all the options working. In this way I can get naval battles going on or ships shelling the coast as cruisers spawn in a campaign.

HouseHobbit
August 12th, 2015, 18:07
COOL!! I likes shooting trains.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Pat Pattle
August 13th, 2015, 00:55
Looks like you have your xml file set up. You can add it to the list in the ground.spawns file, as an additional line, if you want to see even more trains. You need to amend the die size entry as you add entries.

For example I like to have more variety in the random ship spawns, so I have three entries each for friendly and enemy ships in the ground.spawns file. The die size is increased by 6 to get all the options working. In this way I can get naval battles going on or ships shelling the coast as cruisers spawn in a campaign.

Thanks David, any chance I could have a copy of one of those spawn tables to look at please?

COOL!! I likes shooting trains.

You beast Owen, that trains full of schoolchildren!!! :boxing:

HouseHobbit
August 13th, 2015, 12:57
OOOPPS!
:banghead:
:biggrin-new: :biggrin-new:

I still likes shooting up trains.

Daiwilletti
August 13th, 2015, 14:02
Thanks David, any chance I could have a copy of one of those spawn tables to look at please?

Roger that, Clive. (thinks to self - that WWII era phrase does not bear scrutiny in modern parlance....) :mixed-smiley-010:

I will PM you some text. Some of the stock facilities called in ground.spawns and frontline.spawns contain errors and never appear unless the facilities are corrected. Once corrected CFS3 looks a little different.... Hence once you start looking at these files other facilities files really need replacing to see the random ground spawns as intended by MS.

But for the interim some additional lines in ground.spawns should work fine.

D

gecko
August 13th, 2015, 16:51
There are some passenger cars available, I think by Jaycee or Dancat, or both.

Pat Pattle
August 13th, 2015, 22:06
There are some passenger cars available, I think by Jaycee or Dancat, or both.

Found them thanks Daniel, and a brilliant British outline loco by Klass'o'44

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=154&sort=d&page=3&pp=20

I will PM you some text. Some of the stock facilities called in ground.spawns and frontline.spawns contain errors and never appear unless the facilities are corrected. Once corrected CFS3 looks a little different.... Hence once you start looking at these files other facilities files really need replacing to see the random ground spawns as intended by MS.

But for the interim some additional lines in ground.spawns should work fine.

Thanks David, cfs3 does need a bit more 'life' in it.:)

Capt. Winters
August 17th, 2015, 02:20
Hi Clive,

check out the ETO vehicles folder

ETO_Carriage_1 and ETO_Carriage_2 rework of Jaycees carriage to an even more English feel, with updated damage effects and textures.

theres a few ETO train carriages of various types grouped together in the folder.

regards Rob.