PDA

View Full Version : ASN vs ASE

patful
August 6th, 2015, 19:03
Hello. I just read about the 30% off sale on Active Sky Next. I've used ASE for several years, and have been happy with it. Can somebody give me a comparison of frame rate hits between the two versions? Is Next really that much better than Evolution? Also, since I would be upgrading, does the new program simply overwrite the old, or do I have to uninstall? And there's something about being limited to only ten re-activations. What happens with #11? Thanks.

Pat

rich12545
August 6th, 2015, 19:21
I have ase but bought asn. Much better imo. Don't know about frames. I got a 20% discount for being an ase owner. Maybe you can double dip on the discounts. Even without, it would be a good move imo. The operation just seems so much better. Like driving a ford you're happy with and then driving a mercedes.

rich12545
August 6th, 2015, 19:23
Wait, I think that was a $20 discount, not 20%. I tend to forget stuff sometimes.

patful
August 6th, 2015, 19:28
Thanks for the reply. I can get it for around $17.50 right now. I don't have a high-end computer, so I'm always concerned about frame rates.

rich12545
August 6th, 2015, 19:42
I really don't believe the frames are any different and it's the textures that would cause a loss imo. I also don't have a high end computer and combine asn with rex texture direct 4. They go very well together imo.

patful
August 6th, 2015, 19:49
Yep, I'm also also looking at REX Texture Direct vs FEX. REX sounds better, but I hate to put WinZip back on the computer after all these years without it just for one download.

manfredc3
August 6th, 2015, 21:14
I also have ASN with the textures from REX Texture Direct and don't fly without it. Am lovin' it

patful
August 7th, 2015, 08:28
Okay, I bought the ASN upgrade. The ZIP file contains no instructions, and I'm too impatient to wait for feedback from the company. Am I supposed to uninstall ASE first, or does this upgrade simply overwrite ASE? Thanks.

wombat666
August 7th, 2015, 08:36
Yep, I'm also also looking at REX Texture Direct vs FEX. REX sounds better, but I hate to put WinZip back on the computer after all these years without it just for one download.

Just use winRAR.
Much better.
:adoration:

patful
August 7th, 2015, 08:49
Just use winRAR. Much better. :adoration: Thanks. Just found a portable version of 7Zip too.

manfredc3
August 7th, 2015, 09:08
Okay, I bought the ASN upgrade. The ZIP file contains no instructions, and I'm too impatient to wait for feedback from the company. Am I supposed to uninstall ASE first, or does this upgrade simply overwrite ASE? Thanks.

The installer will upgrade your existing ASE with no problem.

And if you ever have to do a clean install, all you need is the ASN upgrade the ASE key. Just be aware that ASN does not come with weather textures. It is a weather engine only!

I hope that answers your questions.

Happy Flying

patful
August 7th, 2015, 09:15
The installer will upgrade your existing ASE with no problem. And if you ever have to do a clean install, all you need is the ASN upgrade the ASE key. Just be aware that ASN does not come with weather textures. It is a weather engine only! I hope that answers your questions. Happy Flying Questions answered. Thanks so much!

Craig Taylor
August 7th, 2015, 13:51
I'm not sure if the upgrade from ASE will be different for you, but ASN installed completely separate when I upgraded from AS2012. This allowed me to run AS2012 and switch textures whenever I wanted/needed to (and then close it, of course), and then run ASN to inject/manage the weather. I did experience an improvement in frames as well with ASN. Hope your upgrade goes smoothly as well.

patful
August 7th, 2015, 18:25
I'm not sure if the upgrade from ASE will be different for you, but ASN installed completely separate when I upgraded from AS2012. This allowed me to run AS2012 and switch textures whenever I wanted/needed to (and then close it, of course), and then run ASN to inject/manage the weather. I did experience an improvement in frames as well with ASN. Hope your upgrade goes smoothly as well. Thanks. When I ran the installer, it didn't search out my copy of ASE, so I stopped the installation and uninstalled ASE (no textures in that version). Manually took out all the remaining files and all entries in the registry other than the license key. ASN installation went well, the program found the license key, and it does seem to run much smoother than ASE. A bargain at $18.