PDA

View Full Version : Running CFS3 in Windows 10: solved for now

hairyspin
August 4th, 2015, 11:39
It had to happen sooner or later...

I'm running Windows 10 on a separate HD from my trusty Win7 setup. This is not an upgraded setup, it's a new, clean install for evaluating the new OS.

Yesterday I got CFS3 installed from scratch on my Windows 10 hard drive and the installation went smoothly. BUT... CFS3 won't run in Windows 10. It doesn't seem to know how to look for the CD to authenticate the install each time it runs. FS9 users have reported the same problem with their CDs. :banghead:

The answer is well known to many of us, and it's the no-CD patched version: CFS3 starts and runs with that every time. I don't see any reason ETO, MAW and the rest shouldn't also work that way.

As many of us also know, discussion of this patch on SOH is barred as a longstanding policy. Please refer to Tom Clayton's post in the FS9 forum (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?95307-Windows-10-upgrade-in-regards-to-FS9&p=970049&viewfull=1#post970049) for the reasons and do any file hunting away from SOH.

Thank you!

Edit: Recent updates borked that too, see hypercide's post (#13) below for the current answer.

Daiwilletti
August 4th, 2015, 12:56
Hi Hairyspin,

My dvd copy of CFS3 comes with the no-CD/DVD version as standard, so the game does not need to refer back to the installation disk. Perhaps SOH might reconsider its approach to discussion on the subject.

All of my separate installs use the later official cfs3.exe which is just over 4Mb in size, whereas the original cfs3.exe was IIRC 4.6Mb. Sounds like the smaller, later exe version might be needed for Win10?

hairyspin
August 4th, 2015, 13:08
Some are lucky to have that DVD version David, mine is the two CDs from way back.

NSS
August 4th, 2015, 21:42
Likewise mine.

I believe that the DVD version was put out by UBISOFT, and like the original is still available on a certain well known selling site.

I am still awaiting for my Windows 10 "Upgrade".

Really quite pleased about that as many of the wrinkles should have been resolved before I do install it.

Kev

hairyspin
August 4th, 2015, 22:41
If you have the facility Kev, download the ISO and burn it to a DVD. Saves hanging on a broadband connection.

NSS
August 5th, 2015, 05:00
I have already done that. :ernaehrung004:

Still going to wait a while though!!

Kev

Ed Burk
September 17th, 2015, 06:35
I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and now my CFS3 will not run nor MAW, OFF, ETO, ...ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? Thanks, Ed Burk

hairyspin
September 17th, 2015, 10:00
See the first post, Ed.

NSS
September 18th, 2015, 09:55
I have also found that the "patch" is required.

Now have 9 separate installs all running with no issue`s in W10.

The only thing I found when install my WOFF, is that V1 was not working in W10.

There are two solutions to this. Add Ankors shaders to WOFF V1 or upgrade to V2.

Kev

starbage1
October 6th, 2015, 09:56
I believe that CFS3, being made before Vista was released (when UAC first came out) there is mass undiscovered saving/running problems even with windows 7. Either read only problems or some major privilege problems preventing the game from running and SAVING correctly as it should. XP never had all these run as admin options etc for security, and problem never really existed. I'm doing constant testing.

hairyspin
January 5th, 2016, 13:04
I'm now not getting CFS3 to run in Windows 10 at all. Oh bother.

Daiwilletti
January 8th, 2016, 12:15
I'm now not getting CFS3 to run in Windows 10 at all. Oh bother.

Hi Hairyspin, I'm having the same problem with Win10 and my half-dozen or so installs. Discovered I couldn't run Pat's BoB yesterday.

Solution: set up to WinXP SP3 compatibility mode by right clicking on the cfs3exe and going into properties.

Suspect: Sodding recent Win 10 update. These are now forced on us with no user choice. I could start ranting about how we are now, as owners of PCs and payers for the privilege of MS software, held HOSTAGE to our software and the software CONTROLS access to our own sodding hardware!! Switch on PC for a quick flight or to test something, and in the background PC performance grinds down as background updates for innumerable things occur, even when I try to disable them in the Startup menu....grumble rant rave....:banghead:.

Incidentally I was running CFS3 installs directly on my root pathway to D: drive. Now I've created a Program files (x86) additional folder in my D drive for cfs3 installs, can't see any difference really, but maybe running cfs3 would be better if install is outside of program files folder, like I had originially?? Given the problems (speculative) with Win10 upgrades.

HTH,

hypercide
March 14th, 2016, 10:06
Hi folks,

Bought CFS3 from old-games yesterday because I wanted to buy WOFF. Initially no joy under Win 10 Home, with XP SP3 compatibility mode, running as Admin--the only suggestions I could find on the net.

Then, in a what-if kind of moment, I toyed with the "Settings" options under the Compatibility tab in the cfs3.exe Properties. I've enabled "reduced color mode" at 16-bit, "Run in 640-480 screen res" and "Display display scaling" (in addition to XP SP3 and run as admin). This works, and in game you can then fiddle with the display options. Additionally, I have it running in its own directory in my second hard drive. And I've successfully installed the current WOFF bundle (also on second hard drive) and did three different mission types over 45 mins with no problems. Joy.

(I have a Dell XPS with a GeForce GTX 745)

Tim

hairyspin
March 14th, 2016, 14:24
... I toyed with the "Settings" options under the Compatibility tab in the cfs3.exe Properties. I've enabled "reduced color mode" at 16-bit, "Run in 640-480 screen res" and "Display display scaling" (in addition to XP SP3 and run as admin). This works, and in game you can then fiddle with the display options...

Tim, you are a steely-eyed missile man. And I have my CFS3 running again in 1680x1050, full colour, YAY! :jump:

garykidman
March 20th, 2016, 04:06
I know that any patches are taboo on SOH. But the WOFF team have developed a patch that will make WOFF run in windows ten, so it would be
nice if there is one for CFS3, otherwise I am trying to avoid upgrading to windows 10. And so far I feel I have made a wise choice.

as far as the DVD version of CFS3 I can't find that anywhere.

Autothrottle
April 5th, 2016, 17:00
No luck at all with changed admin settings

hairyspin
April 11th, 2016, 08:34
Patched W10 to latest update last night and had to redo the compatibility settings as per Tim's advice above, but I have CFS3 running in W10 as before.

hairyspin
April 16th, 2016, 12:12
Much tweaking and experimentation later, here's the lowdown on CFS3 in Windows 10. My thanks again to Tim (hypercide) for his discovering this. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/applause.gif

Install CFS3 from your original CDs (or DVD if you're lucky). Make life easier by not installing to the default folder, use something like C:\CFS3 and avoid UAC problems later. Don't run the sim yet!
Apply the 3.1 and 3.1a patches. Don't run the sim yet!
Replace cfs3.exe with the unmentionable patch but don't run the sim yet!

Now set the patch program's compatibility as shown :–

https://i.imgur.com/z10IVKG.jpg

Yes, the program is being set to run in 640x480 display mode and reduced colour. Don't panic!

Now run CFS3 and once the sim starts (in ghastly 1998–style graphics) you can set the display resolution and colour depth to suit your system (in my case 1680x1050 and 32-bit colour.) CFS3 will run happily but to exit the program use Control-Shift-Q.

With this done you can now use cfs3config.exe (run in XP SP3 compatibility) to set your preferences: disable intro movie, switch off dual-pass render, switch on high resolution z-buffer, the usual suspects. But one thing you must not do is switch on anti-aliasing. If you do there's a crash to desktop every time.

If your experience differs, let us know!

langshan
April 25th, 2016, 11:38
Thanks for the info. Prior to the last update I was running it, now this one is a no go. Will give it a try. Thanks.

lthump
June 10th, 2016, 22:17
Hi fellas, I have only just reinstalled CFS3 after not using it for a loooong time. This thread peaked my interest as I have installed it on win 10 and had no problems (yet). I have the single DVD version. When installing, I have a CFS3, setup folder. In it I have 10 sub folders ordered 1-10.(Doesn't include aircraft) Number one has the 3.1 and 3.1a patches of which you only need 3.1a if you have the DVD version apparently.Number 2 has the unmentionable thingy which is possibly why I didn't hit problems.3 has the NEK's . 4 foxes super effects package. 5 Winding Mans scenery and so on. I have spent all day installing planes trains, automobiles , airfields and have quite a size able install . I only just tried it ,before coming on here, and it is working fine ...... touch wood. The point is don't be afraid of win 10 with CFS3. This is the first time I can play it with all sliders up to max due to a new computer. I am looking forward to playing again.
Tony

popsaka
June 10th, 2016, 23:50
Just to throw in me tuppence... Win7... using a variety of patched versions... win7 bitches: "no cd"...
but I just hit what(?) retry or something 3 times and cfs3 loads ok (ETO & MAW) ...a few (8 or 20)
pc win7 reboots later and lo and behold its no longer prompting me for the cd :dizzy:and is back to normal...

go figure :engel016:

lthump
June 13th, 2016, 02:27
OK just to update, I have run into problems, (serves me right) But it seems to be aircraft installs rather than windows. Also I have noticed a huge difference between air files for 1% aircraft and earlier planes. I am going to redo the whole install and only use the 1% AIRCRAFT . They fly better. I have downloaded the new bump map files but yet to install . they sound very good. I have high hopes for these. I play Warthunder online and I can say the aircraft models are the best. They look real. However it's missing some of the playability of CFS3 like more than one player in the same bomber. I'm not impressed with the mix of aircraft they have in a game too. Late or post war aircraft in a game with early war aircraft. Very unfair.
Tony

popsaka
June 13th, 2016, 07:40
Yeah Tony the stock flight models are weird and geared for the arcade crowd IMHO.
Go 1% and you'll never regret it. :encouragement:

lthump
June 16th, 2016, 05:04
yes I can see what you mean Popsaka

Threedp
June 24th, 2016, 19:29
New clean install of Win10. Installed original CFS3 to C:\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3 (i.e. the default path minus the "Program Files"). Patched to 3.1a. Works perfectly with no special settings. After installing PTO to the same directory (C:\Microsoft Games\CFS3 PTO Solomon Islands), when I fire it up it looks good until I go to select another plane and then the attached where the screen is being painted onto all the planes! I've tried 'Run as administrator' and different compatibility options to no avail. Same thing with MAW. In fact, although I am not entirely sure, the problem was not present until I tried MAW. I have not tried ETO or Rising Sun yet until I get this ironed out. I've never installed into Win10 directly before. Anyone?
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39287&stc=1

Threedp
June 28th, 2016, 04:27
I noticed there was an nvidia update, so I trashed PTO and MAW, updated, and reinstalled both and now they're working. I'm new to nVidia and I never had such a problem with ATI, but things seem good, so I'm not complaining! ETO next.

mongoose
June 28th, 2016, 08:12
Haven't checked through all the posts here but have recently upgraded to win 10 on my C drive but have various versions of CFS3 on D and E drives. Initially I tried to fresh install from discs on to C with issues, so I copied a vanilla CFS3 version from D to C. Firstly the D CFS3 vanilla seems to work with no issues and it seems also the C copy version also. Haven't checked all by other 6 or so CFS3 versions yet, but will get to that and let y'all know.

mongoose
July 3rd, 2016, 11:22
QUOTE hairyspin

Much tweaking and experimentation later, here's the lowdown on CFS3 in Windows 10. My thanks again to Tim (hypercide) for his discovering this. :applause:

Install CFS3 from your original CDs (or DVD if you're lucky). Make life easier by not installing to the default folder, use something like C:\CFS3 and avoid UAC problems later. Don't run the sim yet!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/hairyspin/CFS3WXcompatibility_zpsy4orfx0w.jpg

Yes, the program is being set to run in 640x480 display mode and reduced colour. Don't panic!

Now run CFS3 and once the sim starts (in ghastly 1998–style graphics) you can set the display resolution and colour depth to suit your system (in my case 1680x1050 and 32-bit colour.) CFS3 will run happily but to exit the program use Control-Shift-Q.

With this done you can now use cfs3config.exe (run in XP SP3 compatibility) to set your preferences: disable intro movie, switch off dual-pass render, switch on high resolution z-buffer, the usual suspects. But one thing you must not do is switch on anti-aliasing. If you do there's a crash to desktop every time.

END

The only advice I took from here was the last re anti aliasing. Don't know why but all my D drive installs then worked (without changing compatibility beyond win XP SP3) Prior to that my vanilla C drive CFS3 was fine but all D drive installs crashed after initial screen.

MajorMagee
July 24th, 2016, 05:09
I've just spent 30 hours upgrading my Win 7 machine to Win 10, and I'm not through everything yet. I have 16 different installs and when I did the upgrade it managed to keep them all in place but annoyingly delete all of the folders set up by MultiCFS3. (I wish I had thought ahead to save them all somewhere to avoid having to customize each one again) :dizzy:

They won't run in Win 10 as is, but I'm successfully running them all in Win 7 compatibility mode.

Because I had a copy of my recent configoverrides posted here a few days ago I was able to use those without needing to go through the whole low color, low rez start-up trick posted above.

I did discover that my G-Sync monitor was not wanting to play nice with Win 10 in that it would only work in a few of my installs. After much sleuthing around I discovered that it was only the versions that were using both AnKor's Shaders and SweetFX that were getting G-Sync to kick in properly. (nothing at all, or each one by itself is not enough for G-Sync to work) Since I can run it with null settings it's no big deal, other than needing to set each of them up with all the needed SweetFX files.

mongoose
July 24th, 2016, 07:59
Sooner or later we are going to need a definitive (as can be:mixed-smiley-010:) position WRT SweetFX and Ankor's stuff. At the moment I am confused!:dizzy:

JohnCT-4
August 13th, 2016, 22:07
Updated to Win 10 om the last free day. FSX worked fine. No joy on CFS3.

Found Hairyspins dance routine of 17 April. Worked a treat. Took a few tries to replace the original cfs.exe with the no CD version, but then on startup it automatically adjusted to my 3 screen 3840 x 1024.

Thankyou to all the contributors to this "Revival Package" for CFS3. Next step is to figure the steps to get ETO up again.

Cheers,

JOHn

Autothrottle
August 28th, 2016, 21:26
I have tried everything but this sim isnt working on my Windows 10.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and helped.

Im hanging up my wings for good I guess.

Good luck to everyone and God bless.

mongoose
October 21st, 2016, 13:11
Works outside Program files in SP3 compatability. Now to solve mb problem and missing dlls which aren't missing!:banghead:

gosd
October 28th, 2016, 08:14
Came across this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV9hezCU9Dk

havent tried it yet.

bwchaney14
November 29th, 2016, 05:23
So I get cfs3 in 2 days. I have looked thru all ways in this thread to get the game to work; if I install to a different directory like cfs3 will the game work as is or do I have or will I have to do all the voodoo that others have posted. I play silent hunter 4 and did not have to jump thru all the hoops to make it work I just installed in a different directory. I have d/l the unmentionable fix and am prepared to use it if necessary. will let you know the outcome. Brian

htpcorsica
December 2nd, 2016, 08:01
After upgrading to win10x64 from win7x64, flying in qc the game crashes when exiting qc, is there a simple fix for this? I have all the .exe files set to xp sp3.
My ETO install is from win7 and on a separate HDD from win10 upgrade. A CFS3 vanilla install from about 2 years ago works without problems. So is there a way around this or should I reinstall ETO5 and will that exit ok? see pic below and thanks for your help.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz290/htpcorsica/CFS3/shutdown.jpg

italflyer
December 2nd, 2016, 10:49
are you running cfs3.exe as admin?

mongoose
December 2nd, 2016, 11:45
Try installing all but the vanilla in root C.

Dave(Dangerous)Boynton
December 13th, 2016, 10:14
Thank you guys for the great info... I have Win 10 and installed CFS3 after what must be 10 years ish and it wouldn't work but thanks to you guys I now have a working CFS3. Now just gotta make time to fly and get back to doing modelling.

NSS
December 13th, 2016, 11:35
Thank you guys for the great info... I have Win 10 and installed CFS3 after what must be 10 years ish and it wouldn't work but thanks to you guys I now have a working CFS3. Now just gotta make time to fly and get back to doing modelling.

Greetings Dave.

I am still around as well.

Spend more time on my RC planes than siming, but have recently installed 10 separate CFS3 installs into W10.

No issue`s.

Kev

Ickie
December 14th, 2016, 05:25
I followed the simple instructions to the letter, and wow it works in windows 10 thanks for the info.
:very_drunk:

westview
January 18th, 2017, 11:34
So here's what I did:

Installed CFS3 to the root directory using my two CD's (C:/Combat Flight Simulator 3).
Updated to 3.1 (maybe I have a bad update patch?)
Cut and pasted the Thingy into the main CFS3 folder
Right Clicked on the thingy.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3, Reduced Color Mode 16-bit, Run in 640 x 480, Disabled display scaling on high DPI setting.
Then started for the first time. Once I start the splash screen comes up for a few seconds at full screen then crashes back to the desktop.

Any thoughts on where I'm going wrong? Sorry, I'm not the most knowledgeable user, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

hairyspin
January 18th, 2017, 12:06
Okay, that's consistent with another problem that occasionally crops up. Run cfs3config.exe (as Administrator) – it's in your CFS3 main directory – and wait until it reports "CFS3 has been configured". Close the program only with File/Exit or the configuration won't be saved.

Then try running CFS3 again.

edit: since recent Win 10 updates I've had to reset the Compatibility settings for the CFS3 thingy: that done, it runs just as well as before. :engel016:

mongoose
January 18th, 2017, 15:04
My experience so far is that I have not had to mess with the config other than XP SP3 compatibility and running as admin. Plus outside program files and use thingy.
Since it's only $5 or so a day for all downloads, I downloaded CFS3 from here (http://www.old-games.com/download/6809/combat-flight-simulator-3-battle) I haven't used it yet so not sure if it is good inc 3.1 but assume no CD.

westview
February 9th, 2017, 11:06
Update: Followed the above instructions, still without success, even tried the old-games d/l. It tries to load but it seems like it gets to a point in the process and then crashes.
My computer is brand new HP, so I'm wondering if there some setting on my computer that needs to be changed or something else I'm missing. How about DirectX? I haven't installed it yet on my computer but I saw it mentioned in another thread. I downloaded it and tried to install, but I wasn't sure where to install to.

Any help appreciated! Really excited to get this resolved so I can play with the new P-61's and P-40's!

hairyspin
February 9th, 2017, 13:16
The DirectX 9.0c June 2010 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109) download should be run and it will ask for a destination folder: this is where it will unpack the files, so make a new folder somewhere handy for this.

Once the files have unpacked, you'll find an executable DXSETUP.exe in the folder you created. Run that.

westview
February 9th, 2017, 17:35
Thanks! Gave it a try and still no dice. Sorry about my incompetence, I last installed CFS3 in 2009 and even then on Vista.
I might try to install CFS3 on another computer with Windows 10 to see if it works, that'll tell me if i'm doing something wrong or if it's a problem with my computer. It's my work computer though so I'll have to remove it right after though even if it works.
Thanks for all of the help!

GhostGuy
March 26th, 2017, 03:44
Works outside Program files in SP3 compatability. Now to solve mb problem and missing dlls which aren't missing!:banghead:

You have to create a shortcut for mb.exe where the Target says something like this "C:\Combat Flight Simulator 3\mb\mb.exe" while Start in would say this "C:\Combat Flight Simulator 3\". It's looking for the files in the main Combat Flight Simulator 3 main root. At least, this works for me. I hope this help.:jump:

GhostGuy
March 26th, 2017, 04:11
Thanks for narrowing down the problem regarding Windows 10. I did not know about the CD detection which does not work. I am fortunate enough to have the unmentioned patch in my library which permits me to narrow down the Multiplayer aspect of it. Multiplayer does work which I am lucky to do. In my case, I have copied my full installation of Combat Flight Simulator 3 from my Windows 7 64 bit hard drive (using a thumb drive) and transfer to the Windows 10 laptop. The same instructions regarding Windows 7 for multiplayer still implied. However, the new created .EXE of "cfs3.exe" (which need to be renamed something else other than cfs3.exe still need to be applied in order to work in Multiplayer), need to be changed to the compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and Disable display scaling on high DPI settings checked only. Run this program as an administrator does not work in multiplayer--it would hang at the Loading screen when trying to join the server. Also deleting (or moving) the oleacc.dll still need to be done as well.

:jump:

GhostGuy
April 14th, 2017, 04:21
I have made an edited gameplay video of Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell running under Windows 10 if anyone interesting. It's about 13 minutes long. I have found out that I had to do a clean vanilla install of OFF to make it work (couldn't copy the main folder from Windows 7). The clean install does work (however, the apply of the unmentioned .EXE need to be done on this one as well). You want to apply this patch before starting OFF for the first time. I have also found out that you don't need to delete or move the oleacc.dll file for multiplayer to work on CFS3 or OFF. Enjoy the video.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonlD4Ht_Wg/

BeauBrummie
May 2nd, 2017, 13:28
I thought I'd look in here as after a FB chat with the Hobbit, I thought I'd look in as I have Win 10 and fancied dipping my toe back in CFS3, but Sweet Jesus there's a lot to take in!

mongoose
May 2nd, 2017, 15:05
Welcome back mate. Go for it as really improved sooo much! Ankor plus Wiekniera, new ac like the P51. All sorts of goodies. :wavey:

Bravo/4
May 2nd, 2017, 16:49
Hi Jeff good to see you back, CFS3 will work fine in W10 just follow the instructions in this thread. It's a new sim now, it's never looked so good!

BeauBrummie
May 3rd, 2017, 05:56
Thanks guys, for the welcome. It's been a long while. I'll just take my time and get everything ready. It's great to see so many old faces still about. TTFN.:untroubled:

Pat Pattle
May 3rd, 2017, 21:55
Nice to see you pop in Jeff! :wavey: have missed your input!

drewm3i
June 12th, 2017, 14:21
Do ankors shaders work in Windows 10 with ETO and these workarounds?

hairyspin
June 12th, 2017, 21:16
Yes, they do.

Saxon_Krieger
July 6th, 2017, 18:03
Greetings,
I am a returning member, been away for too long & nice to be back (details are in my profile). I have the opportunity to buy a DVD version of CFS, and would like your opinions, please. Here are the details:

The package literally says "Microsoft Combat Flight Sim" ("Europe", below). No version # is listed, it is cc in 1998. The picture is of a P-51, at about the 10 o'clock level position (no combat, shinny silver in color). I have my original 2 CD version of CFS3 and ALL of the patches and updates (including the cyanide-laced one). Will this copy be of any value to me when I try to do a fresh install into Win10-64? Or is it too old? My buddy is asking $15.00 USD. DVD is in Great shape, and I know where he lives...Not having much (read:ANY) exp with CFS3 and Win10, I would appreciate any help or input.

Best to all,

Saxon

sixstrings5859
July 7th, 2017, 11:35
Read this entire sticky and you will find the answer to your questions. I run Win 7 64 bit and have no problems if instructions are followed. All should be straight forward and easy to understand. Buy the DVD version it's worth the price. Good luck and remember to read all you can on the latest shaders and other mods available also.

mongoose
July 7th, 2017, 12:05
Have you tried the CFS forum?

hairyspin
July 8th, 2017, 08:29
You're talking about Combat Flight Simulator 1 and there is another forum for that sim on SOH where Ivan and the rest of that merry gang should be able to answer your questions.

MajorMagee
July 13th, 2017, 09:51
I recently decided to update my CPU (core i7-7700k 4.2 OC to 4.7) and MB (ASUS Strix Z270H Gaming), but hesitated because I had gone from Win 7 to Win 10 using the free update on my old machine (AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black 3.2 OC to 3.8), and was concerned that it would invalidate my Activation. My son had done a similar update, and now has a MS nag notice to reactivate that he can't make go away.

After a bit of research I found this:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

I went ahead and set up the Microsoft Account and linked my Activation to it before I changed any hardware. After that all went smoothly, and I had far less trouble with losing my program install settings than I did during the major OS updates (Anniversary and Creators) Microsoft pushed out this past year.

ganesh
July 14th, 2017, 01:20
Hi guys,
I got a new computer and installed the newest windows 10 version on it.
Have been running win10 with cfs3 in the past without any problems.
Installed the game, pasted the .exe to desktop. gave it xp service pack 3 compatibility.
ran the config
Started the game and it works.

Then i wanted to go play online...........
Opened multiplayer options tab
changed the connection type to T1
clicked okay.......
Crash

BTW the oleacc.dll i had already deleted

Changing anything in the multiplayer options tab results in crash after clicking okay (connection type, or country, or Player name, or pilot)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51790&stc=1

If I open the multiplayer tab for joining a game it also crashes
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51791&stc=1

reinstalled the game 20 times now (on ssd program files (x86) on D:\ now straight into the root directory of C:\ nothing helps
switched off firewall, switched off antivirus. made all exclusions, nothing helps51792

On my other computer win10 wouldn't update properly but CFS3 always ran fine there.
Unfortunately i wiped that win10 installation and did a clean install so my wife can use that computer.

Now i figured, on that computer it always ran fine so it must be a hardware problem, no worries, i will install the game there so at least i can still play online games on sunday.

@#$^&*(*&^%$$ after wiping and installing the latest win10 on the old computer it has the exact same problem.

The game runs fine but multiplayer doesn't

dxdiag.txt tells me this

+++ WER6 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: cfs3- multi player win7.exe
P2: 3.1.0.30203
P3: 3e3ebe85
P4: COMMON.DLL
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 3e3ebd1c
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000f079
P9:
P10:

+++ WER7 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P1: cfs3- multi player win7.exe.exe
P4: gundll.dll
P5: 0.50.152.1
P6: 3d9cf6c1
P8: 00030668
P9:
P10:

+++ WER8 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P4: gundll.dll
P5: 0.50.152.1
P6: 3d9cf6c1
P8: 00030668
P9:
P10:

+++ WER9 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0

Problem signature:
P4: cfs3- multi player win7.exe.exe
P5: 3.1.0.30203
P6: 3e3ebe85
P8: 0034ba18
P9:
P10:

Please, if anybody has a clue what it could be?

Antivirus exclusions done
Firewall exclusions done
Router ports opened

2300-2400
86663-86667
dmz activated in wired ip 192.168.1.67

Must be something in win10 that screws it up

my realtime protection on my antivirus showed 3 files while the crash happened
C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Softwa reProtectionPlatform\SvcRestartTask
dx diag
timestamp nvidia

Maybe this can help one of you online whizkids in the community

Any help is very very very much appreciated

Cheers

Hanko

gosd
July 19th, 2017, 16:59
joining the win10 crowd with a new rig.
The vanilla install went flalesly, the other installs of six different versions are not so good ; I get a config overide error on all of them even afther making shure the compatibility setting where as edited and the game was run as administrator.
Any suggestion would be welcomed

hairyspin
July 19th, 2017, 21:42
Make sure you run MultiCFS3 and CFS3config as Administrator.

gosd
July 20th, 2017, 16:12
Hairyspin, before I do this should I delete something in the appdata folder of the games and should I re-eniciate the multicfs3 ?

mongoose
July 20th, 2017, 16:52
You could delete from the appddata and then run yr multicfs3 and re run the config file; all as admin.

ganesh
July 21st, 2017, 21:21
It's the newest version of win10

Did a new install win10 2016, same problem

Just did a reinstall win10 64 2015

and...............

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAW, BACK TO NORMAL

When i started multiplayer windows asked to install one small program like some playerthing, now i forgot to remember the name. age........hahaha
Anyway, windows asked to install the player i clicked yes and Voila

Thx everyone that tried to help,

Really appreciate it

gosd
July 23rd, 2017, 18:45
Almost there; when I remove Ankors shaders from the games they run well but if I attemp to put them back in the game d3d8 and shaders30 are ok but not d3d8.dll that causes the game from not running "config override fie is either corrupt or missing" . Tried running the config file and updating it but no success. So I cannot get the Ankors shaders to work.

gosd
July 28th, 2017, 19:34
:jump:Found the solution : afther downloading DirectX 9.0c June 2010 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109) I forgot to run the exect :dizzy::dizzy:

MajorMagee
October 18th, 2017, 20:09
I had a bit of trouble with the Creators Update that installed itself last night. The game still ran once I reinstalled the User files in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft, but all of my Anti-Aliasing was disabled.

I tried new video drives, reinstalling DX9c, and a wide range of other control panel settings changes both in the game and in the NVCP all to no effect. What I finally found to work was using NvidiaProfileInspector to set the AA Compatibility bits. In the past this was not needed, and the value could remain at the default 0x00000000. Now it needs one of several that end with 40, 41, or C1.

F0C1
100C1
4412C1

There are subtle effect differences between each one, but generally they fall into the three main groups defined by the last two digits. Right now I've settled on the last one, as it's biased toward darkening the edges its aliasing.

rtoolooze
November 18th, 2017, 08:51
So after spending hours installing ETO, for some reason "windows can't find cfs3.exe. This only happened after updating TO 1.50. Everything worked perfect till 1.5
Having only limited time to do my hobby, (you know, work, wife ect.) I'm loath to start all over again when I'm sure I followed everything to the letter.

Win 10
i7 6700
GTX 980

rtoolooze
November 18th, 2017, 12:50
Never mind, I'm stupid and all is well. You chaps have a fine weekend while I go set everything up now. Love this sim! ( notice I said sim not game ;)

Ianfs
December 19th, 2017, 07:01
Hello everyone and thanks to all the guys who took the time to post how to get CF3 working in Windows 10.

For me though, I couldn't for the life of me get mine to work. I had to replace my hard drive recently and rather than just re-installing from the external drive which had the back ups, I did a clean install with the most up to date version of Windows 10, having read that I wouldn't have to buy a new one because it reads the Digital Signature from my motherboard.

I read all the posts over and over thinking I missed something and the only thing that wasn't clear to me (my limited knowledge) was a post from Mongoose which mentioned an unmentionable patch. I searched everywhere on here to see if someone had posted it somewhere but unsuccessfully, maybe I'm just thick. I couldn't see his photobucket photo so maybe it was there.

It was the bit about replacing cfs3.exe which I didn't get wholly.

Quote:- 1/ Install CFS3 from your original CDs (or DVD if you're lucky). Make life easier by not installing to the default folder, use something like C:\CFS3 and avoid UAC problems later. Don't run the sim yet!
2/ Apply the 3.1 and 3.1a patches. Don't run the sim yet!
3/ Replace cfs3.exe with the unmentionable patch but don't run the sim yet!

I'm not completely software illiterate but my general knowledge is limited, however when a solution drops into my lap BINGO! :wiggle:

So, there was me thinking that if I downloaded 3.1 and 3.1a and more importantly the NoCd patch (which I found online and I think is the unmentionable patch, not really sure) I would just pop it straight into the main files of the programme which I happen to put onto my D drive. Sure it goes in there OK and it opens and unzips fine but it still didn't work. I stupidly expected it to fix itself and that it would automatically replace and fix the correct extensions. Then I read somewhere that you cannot have two of the same .exe files in the same folder, they don't work.

So here's what I did for those of you who still can't get it to run.

I followed Mongooses instructions once again (thank you Mongoose and hairyspin for this Topic) but this time I saved the NoCd file separately to my D drive as a stand alone folder and opened it. I unzipped it again to my D drive (I have my HD partitioned to C for the OS, D for games and other programmes and E,F and G for anything else like photos, music etc.). I then took the pretty pictured file out of the D drive (same as the one arrowed in the pic) and copied it to the same file (arrowed) in the Combat Flight Simulator 3 programme folder.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56426&stc=1

I now have a working Sim having changed the Compatibility settings.

Thanks again guys and I hope this post helps others.
Cheers for now.

dirttrev
January 24th, 2018, 21:51
Thank to you all, follow the earlier posts and ran great, I did the patch, no cd, direct9 and install at C: The only problem it doesn't recognise my Phantom Hawk joystick, so a bit stuck on calibrating and programming the joystick buttons, the SIM just hangs and I've use task manager to kill it
Trevor, wanttobeapilot

Squiffy
February 12th, 2018, 18:23
Well hello gents! I just had my Win7 rig checked tonight and the mobo is gone caput. Ah well... time to order a new rig. I think I will go for another i7 nvidia setup and get an external cd-rom as the only one I saw on Best Buy was almost as old as my liquid cooled rig from 2012. I will follow the procedures listed here in the next couple weeks. Wonder if my avatar still works?

Cheers! :ernaehrung004:

Squiffy
February 12th, 2018, 18:49
Nope, but here's a new one. "Mornin' Squadron Leader!" Now to find that rig...

Pat Pattle
February 14th, 2018, 12:33
Hey Squiffy! You snuck in the back door, how are you old boy?

gecko
February 14th, 2018, 17:18
Now there's a name from years gone by. Welcome back Squiffy!:icon29:

MajorMagee
March 19th, 2018, 08:43
I had a bit of trouble with the Creators Update that installed itself last night. The game still ran once I reinstalled the User files in \AppData\Roaming\Microsoft, but all of my Anti-Aliasing was disabled.

I tried new video drives, reinstalling DX9c, and a wide range of other control panel settings changes both in the game and in the NVCP all to no effect. What I finally found to work was using NvidiaProfileInspector to set the AA Compatibility bits. In the past this was not needed, and the value could remain at the default 0x00000000. Now it needs one of several that end with 40, 41, or C1.

F0C1
100C1
4412C1

There are subtle effect differences between each one, but generally they fall into the three main groups defined by the last two digits. Right now I've settled on the last one, as it's biased toward darkening the edges its aliasing.

This still applies, but I discovered another work around.

If you set NoMultisampling=0 in d3d8.ini, and apply in game Multisampling (8X) through cfs3config.exe, and use "Enhance the Application Setting" versus "Override any Application Setting", then you can still apply custom anti-aliasing settings like SGSSAA to reduce shimmering through Nvidia Profile Inspector. Doing it this way produces almost exactly the same effect as using the compatibility bits I listed above.

Capt. Winters
October 31st, 2018, 13:02
Hi All,

Just installed stock CFS3 to Win10 Home system via the 2 original disks, applied the patches followed the instructions for the exe file settings and all is working perfectly. the only extra step I took was to add the 4gb memory patch to the exe file.

now to attempt ETO and Ankor's shaders..

regards Rob.

System specs.

Model

PRY-INF2-1070

Processor Brand

Intel

Processor Type

Core i7

Processor Model

Processor Speed (GHz)

Processor Max Speed (GHz)

Cooling System

Fan

Installed RAM

16GB

RAM Type

DDR4

Primary Storage Capacity

2TB

Storage Type

HDD

Additional Storage Capacity

256GB

Additional Storage Type

SSD

Wireless Networking

IEEE 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0

GPU Chipset Manufacturer

NVIDIA

GPU Chipset

GeForce GTX 1070

Graphics Card Memory

8GB

Monitor 1

LG 32” Class QHD gaming monitor 2560x1440 144Hz

Monitor 2

LG 22” Flatron 1680 x 1050 60Hz

Operating System

Windows 10 Home

System Type

64 bit

System Peripherals

Thermaitake – Ttesports gaming keyboard and mouse.

Joystick

MS Sidewinder 2 (no force feedback)

Flight Sim Peripherals

CH rudder pedals, CH throttle quadrant, CH Yoke, TrackIR-4.

Sound

MSi 5.1-7.1 using Razor Headset.

mongoose
October 31st, 2018, 13:05
Glad it's going well so far.

Capt. Winters
October 31st, 2018, 20:03
Hi All,

ETO installed and working well. C:\Microsoft Games\CFS3 ETO Expansion edited the bat files to match directory, no discernable issues with switching era's etc noticed yet.

I do have one problem across both current installs of CFS3 though. The F7 key doesn't seem to be recognised, which means I cant select bomb aimer view. all the other 'F' keys are working as they should. Has anybody else experienced this?

regards Rob.

mongoose
November 1st, 2018, 07:11
I find I've had to hold the key longer than usual; especially as I have day and night bomb sights so need to press it 2x for night ones. I don't think it is the keybiard as no other issues and have the same issue with F7 binding on my joystick.

Capt. Winters
November 1st, 2018, 12:11
Hi All,

F7 key issue fixed. with the update of trackIR software to version 5 there is a tick box for each program button (F7, F8, F9, F12) called trap. If you untick this option you have the ability for other keybindings to use the key in question, I can now get to bomb aimer view.

So have a perfect multiple install of CFS3 working on windows 10. Ankor shaders (Nov 17 2017 build) working in stock CFS3 - WOW.....

regards Rob.

Daiwilletti
November 1st, 2018, 17:34
Hi All,

F7 key issue fixed. with the update of trackIR software to version 5 there is a tick box for each program button (F7, F8, F9, F12) called trap. If you untick this option you have the ability for other keybindings to use the key in question, I can now get to bomb aimer view.

So have a perfect multiple install of CFS3 working on windows 10. Ankor shaders (Nov 17 2017 build) working in stock CFS3 - WOW.....

regards Rob.

hi Rob, I agree, stock CFS3 is unrecognisable now with Ankors latest shaders. Even some of the stock textures look great if you have a hi-res monitor. The firetrucks and the bog standard opel Blitz have hitherto unseen variations and subtle changes in the skins in UHD. Not to mention even the stock effects! That is why I uploaded the upgrade of stock, it all looks great on a WQHD 34" monitor, Win 10 64 bit.

MajorMagee
November 13th, 2018, 20:15
I had a complete loss of computer about 6 weeks ago. Sadly, most of my CFS3 development work was lost in the process. I've got things running again finally with the newest version of Win 10 installed.

An install of CFS3 is running, but it is being relentlessly capped at 50 fps by something in Win 10 (I've eliminated all the other possible sources). With last Fall's version of Win 10, running at 77-100 FPS in G-Sync was never even an issue.

I've done a bunch of Internet searching to no avail. Either the answer is that you can't outfox Windows from doing this, or the known tricks like disabling fullscreen optimizations don't seem to work on my system. I have Game Bar turned off, but there is no longer any way to disable Game Mode.

Has anyone else seen this, and figured out a workaround? I'd hate to think my high speed monitor is going to have to run at half speed all the time.

*** After hours of messing around it started working normally without doing anything in particular to stop it. :dizzy: ***

MajorMagee
November 14th, 2018, 03:59
Of course I get up this morning to see that Win 10 1803 has decided it needed to do a monthly update after I went to bed last night, and the 50 FPS lock is back... :dejection:

I can see that the game starts okay, and then a few seconds after the User Interface comes up the monitor framerate drops from 99 to 50.

I went into the registry and added a DWORD command to disable Game Mode, and in the Windows Gaming Control Panel I can see that it's now turned off. Still no joy so the problem must be caused by something else.

It does not happen in my 3D benchmarking tool, so this seems to be something peculiar to CFS3.

sixstrings5859
November 14th, 2018, 04:27
That's why i'm sticking with Win 7 64bit ! No issues... get to choose Win updates. Run at 91 fps. Ever thought about running dual Windows programs ?

MajorMagee
November 14th, 2018, 04:54
I used to have a dual boot system, but lost that capability when I changed computers a few years ago, and the MB wouldn't let me boot off the DVD to load the OEM operating system disks I had.

So it turns out that the cfs3.xml in the Default folder had the maxFPS set at 77. In the past this always worked with no problem, and helped to reduce micro-stutters. Evidently now Win 10 misinterprets it. Settings less than 50 work as requested, but anything over 50 gets set to half my 100 MHz monitor's refresh rate (ignores V-Sync).

Daiwilletti
November 14th, 2018, 12:19
So it turns out that the cfs3.xml in the Default folder had the maxFPS set at 77. In the past this always worked with no problem, and helped to reduce micro-stutters. Evidently now Win 10 misinterprets it. Settings less than 50 work as requested, but anything over 50 gets set to half my 100 MHz monitor's refresh rate (ignores V-Sync).

Just seen this post. My guess would have been cfs3.xml. But I didn't know about the strange business of halving the refresh rate.....I tend to set cfs3.xml to my monitor's (pathetic) refresh rate of 60Hz. When I press Z it tells me that it is working fine, giving me around 58-59 Hz.

sixstrings5859
November 14th, 2018, 13:35
Sorry, rechecked mine and it's at 54 fps. Still looks good though,just not as good as Il-2 '46.

Capt. Winters
November 14th, 2018, 23:14
Hi All,

with stock CFS3 I get 270fps all day long, stock CFS3 with Ankors shaders applied I get a consistent 60fps. my ETO install with Ankors shaders again gets a consistent 60fps. my cfs3.xml files have a max fps set to 0. Is it possible that the shaders are somehow talking to Win10 and this is the cause of the capped fps in game?

regards Rob.

MajorMagee
November 15th, 2018, 02:50
There is a line in AnKor's d3d8.ini that can force you to 60 FPS if that's what your monitor runs at.

; -1 - Off; 0 - Default; 1 - VSync On
VSyncMode=1

You can set this to -1, and see if your FPS goes up.

Capt. Winters
November 17th, 2018, 00:34
Hi All,

Thanks Andy, changing that value from 0 to -1. I now have an average FPS of 190 with shaders applied.

regarsd Rob.

mongoose
November 17th, 2018, 14:16
Yeah! that is the same for me. It will be interesting to see what it is with large formations and lots going on.

Oliver
April 3rd, 2019, 23:34
I had CFS3 running beautifully in win 10 after following Hairyspin's instructions.

Now it will not run at all. I think a windows update caused the problem.

I uninstalled followed Hairyspin's instructions again but still no joy.

Has anyone any clues?

Thanks

MajorMagee
April 4th, 2019, 02:26
Are we talking about one of the monthly patches, or a full blown version update?

I'm still at version 1803 because of the system wipe-out I suffered last October.

Oliver
April 4th, 2019, 23:21
Are we talking about one of the monthly patches, or a full blown version update?

I'm still at version 1803 because of the system wipe-out I suffered last October.

To be honest I am not sure. I will investigate!

Oliver
April 9th, 2019, 23:08

Monthly Patch around November time.

gastonj
April 10th, 2019, 02:28
Hi,

I can't play CFS3 on my W10 system (portable PC). I am certainly wrong. Can anyone do a list , order of patches to apply? I am stuck in the numerous posts of this thread!

JMC

MajorMagee
December 31st, 2019, 19:29
Well I managed to brick my previous computer by installing an Intel SATA driver update that prevented Windows from loading, or even being reinstalled because the drives went dead as soon as window tired to load.

After a day of trying everything I could think of I decided it was time to buy a new prebuilt gaming computer (Ryzen 7 3700X - GTX 2070 Super), and see if there was anything I could salvage off the old home built one.

After a bunch of rerouting their factory installed cable bundles I was able to successfully mount the 3 SSDs from the previous computer, and found that all the user files were essentially intact. The old c drive eventually had to be reformatted once I pulled the CFS3 files off of it, because the remains of the corrupted Windows 10 install were interfering with the new computer's boot cycle.

Surprisingly, the new Win 10 Pro has been able to run CFS3 using the previously working installs without so much as a "Hey, you need to register that first!". I've only had to run MultiCFS3 pointing each install to the copies of the folders I had from the old Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft directory, and then reset ConfigOverrides.xml with CFS3config.exe to recognize the new video card (DeviceID). I'm feeling extremely lucky compared to my last couple of Forced Windows Update disaster recovery efforts (3 in just over a year is way too many to deal with).

Not that I could really afford this right now, but it turns out that in going from a pretty decent for its time I7 7700K - GTX980 system to this one, my typical CFS3 FPS at 3440 x 1440 has risen from the 70s to the 120s. :gameon:

mongoose
January 1st, 2020, 07:07
I always thought the Win 10 Pro didn't have all the issues the other versions have. Your new rig sounds great!

sixstrings5859
January 1st, 2020, 08:03
I'm with you Major. Just about ready to get a new gaming pc close to yours. A Ryzen 7 3700x,(liquid cooled),Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti,32gb ram, 1TB NVME ssd, 1TB ssd and 650w gold psu. Found one cheaper than if i built it myself,( CUK ). Been away for months ,and it's been hard ! Can't wait to see what this new rig will do !!! Nervous to see how Win10 will do with CFS3. Have everything saved on a external ssd so installing shouldn't be too bad.

MajorMagee
January 1st, 2020, 11:16
I'm with you Major. Just about ready to get a new gaming pc close to yours. A Ryzen 7 3700x,(liquid cooled),Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti,32gb ram, 1TB NVME ssd, 1TB ssd and 650w gold psu. Found one cheaper than if i built it myself,( CUK ). Been away for months ,and it's been hard ! Can't wait to see what this new rig will do !!! Nervous to see how Win10 will do with CFS3. Have everything saved on a external ssd so installing shouldn't be too bad.

Yes, My CyberpowerPC Gamer Supreme came with liquid cooling on the CPU as well, and an 800W power supply. The 2080Ti versions they had on sale were going to be $2,400! Mine was still $1,400 before tax. https://www.microcenter.com/product/610246/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-liquid-cool-gaming-computer

sixstrings5859
January 4th, 2020, 08:04
The gaming rig i talked about was just too costly to get right now with new medical bills . I found a cheaper one that has all the features i need and doesn't break the bank. It should be able to handle all i could throw at it as far as CFS3 and IL-2 '46 is concerned . Here it is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y9J1PT2/?coliid=I9JT0V1MB869Z&colid=11MFEKRAGT2L6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it .About the same price as yours,major ,but without the liquid cooling. Cheers , Scott

Easy Flier
January 19th, 2020, 08:03
OK After much reading and unistalling. Like I had posted before I had ETO working but tried to fix the 5 shortcuts and messed all up. So it was running. Starting over I have just reinstalled CFS3 with the 2 updates and set up as in a previous post, but it just comes up to a black screen like it will load but then quits.
Any suggestions..
Thanks
JT

Just wondering how do I know where the 2 updates went. Will they find the correct program????

Easy Flier
January 19th, 2020, 09:07
Much tweaking and experimentation later, here's the lowdown on CFS3 in Windows 10. My thanks again to Tim (hypercide) for his discovering this. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/applause.gif

Now set the patch program's compatibility as shown :–https://i.imgur.com/z10IVKG.jpg Yes, the program is being set to run in 640x480 display mode and reduced colour. Don't panic! Now run CFS3 and once the sim starts (in ghastly 1998–style graphics) you can set the display resolution and colour depth to suit your system (in my case 1680x1050 and 32-bit colour.) CFS3 will run happily but to exit the program use Control-Shift-Q.With this done you can now use cfs3config.exe (run in XP SP3 compatibility) to set your preferences: disable intro movie, switch off dual-pass render, switch on high resolution z-buffer, the usual suspects. But one thing you must not do is switch on anti-aliasing. If you do there's a crash to desktop every time. If your experience differs, let us know!Just noticed your compatablity screen is different than mine. don'y have a disable display scaling

Easy Flier
January 19th, 2020, 10:21
Well thought I would try on another PC. This is a new Laptop with just a few programs,. Did all the install stuff and Compatabilty and got the same results no joy. I think its time to just forget it wasted almost 2 days .

Easy Flier
January 19th, 2020, 16:01
Well I kept messing and found the program on another drive. It has ETO 1.40 and I can get it to run as it did before I tried to bring back those 5 shortcuts on desktop.
Now the question is how do I reinstall the ETO from scratch. I tried once to copy this install on another drive but that didn't work.

Any help or suggestions????
Thanks,
JT

Daiwilletti
January 19th, 2020, 19:58
Well I kept messing and found the program on another drive. It has ETO 1.40 and I can get it to run as it did before I tried to bring back those 5 shortcuts on desktop.
Now the question is how do I reinstall the ETO from scratch. I tried once to copy this install on another drive but that didn't work.

Any help or suggestions????
Thanks,
JT

My suggestion is to copy the install to another drive, then run multicfs3.exe to set up the App Data pathway properly. IIRC that wee program is in the root of the ETO install.

As an interim, to get you flying why don't you take a stock copy of CFS3 and install my upgrade kit? http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/116853-CFS-3-Upgrade-package-Version-2?p=1208226#post1208226

Note there is a new link at the bottom of the thread. The upgrade kit has the multicfs3.exe program in it if all else fails!

Easy Flier
January 20th, 2020, 04:13
I can't get that download to open. It just keep adding more windows for me to sign up for something.

Easy Flier
January 20th, 2020, 04:58
Update found your link in another post and got it to download.
Now the question is when I copy over to the original CFS3 it just move the whole folder makin a new CFS# in the other one not overwriting just duplicating....Getting more cornfused as I go:pop4:

Easy Flier
January 21st, 2020, 06:50
Thanks to all I got CFS3 running now will tackle the ETO Expansion:redfire::redfire:

Oliver
April 19th, 2020, 08:44
After three years of no CFS3 I have now got it up and running again!

With a new laptop and following Hairyspins advice.

Great to be back!

Snoopy51
September 25th, 2020, 14:19
WOOF...........ggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrr

jwkreidler
November 17th, 2020, 10:36
Much tweaking and experimentation later, here's the lowdown on CFS3 in Windows 10. My thanks again to Tim (hypercide) for his discovering this. :applause:

https://i.imgur.com/z10IVKG.jpg

Tom/Hairyspin,
I have an HP Pavilion 550-126 desktop system running Windows 10 Home version 10.0.18363 build 18363. I have installed a 2-CD version of MS CombatFlightSimulator3 with files predominantly dated 2/3/03 and csf3.exe version 3.1.030203.01. The CSF3 product runs fine on my older system running Windows XP Pro svcPak 3, but program startup on my Win10 system goes immediately to full black screen for about a second, then exits (no splash screen, no exit message). Presence/absence of CD in drive has no impact. I initially thought that my copy of CSF3 might simply be Win10-incompatible, so went looking (in vain) for a later version. I then searched online for variations on 'csf3 vs win10', where most hits led eventually to SimOutHouse. I have followed most recommendations in this forum thread (install from CDs as admin, install in non-default location, install v3.1 patch, install v3.1a patch, set compatibility WinXP SP2, set 16-bit color, set 640 x 480 resolution, & run as admin). I have been unable to find a copy of the unnamed-but-oft-mentioned other patch. Perhaps I have overlooked something in my reading of the forum thread, or perhaps Windows10 has been updated further (I have accepted numerous updates since installation in Feb 2020) so as to present a new variant of the problem. I would be grateful for any advice/insight.
Thanks,
John

MajorMagee
November 17th, 2020, 14:17
Win 10 did away with the service that allows the program to check the CD for a valid license. The program gets to that point in the loading process, can't trigger access to the CD, and closes. The work around is to have a copy of the DVD version that does not require the CD check.

jwkreidler
November 17th, 2020, 18:05
Win 10 did away with the service that allows the program to check the CD for a valid license. The program gets to that point in the loading process, can't trigger access to the CD, and closes. The work around is to have a copy of the DVD version that does not require the CD check.
Major,
In response to my post, I received a PM from Priller with a link to a site from which to download the noCD patch (a replacement cfs3.exe file, perhaps snipped from a DVD CSF3 installation). I installed the new file, and my CSF3 instance now runs problem-free on my Windows10 system.
Thanks for responding,
John

mongoose
September 2nd, 2022, 08:02
Just a reminder that DX9 is needed in Win10 if re installing one's OS! It seems there is no problem with the stock, but definitely need for Shaders30!
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=directx9+install

JoeKerr
August 17th, 2023, 19:04
So I just got a new computer, and I put a copy of CFS 3 on. Gave it try this morning. It worked great. Now tonight, I'm getting this message.

hairyspin
August 18th, 2023, 04:13
You may need to install/reinstall DirectX 9.0c (June 2010).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109)

Hope this helps. :wavey:

JoeKerr
August 18th, 2023, 07:05
You may need to install/reinstall DirectX 9.0c (June 2010).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109 (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109)

Hope this helps. :wavey:

Sadly it didn't.

Allen
August 18th, 2023, 08:49
Have you tried Restarting the PC. Not Shut Down. Restart. Win10 has "Fast Startup"/"Fast Boot" that caches info to the HDD when you use Shut Down meaning the old "turn it off and turn it back on again" doesn't work. Restart doesn't cache info meaning after a Restart is the new "turn it off and turn it back on again".

JoeKerr
August 19th, 2023, 14:17
Have you tried Restarting the PC. Not Shut Down. Restart. Win10 has "Fast Startup"/"Fast Boot" that caches info to the HDD when you use Shut Down meaning the old "turn it off and turn it back on again" doesn't work. Restart doesn't cache info meaning after a Restart is the new "turn it off and turn it back on again".
Yep, tried that too. Still nothing. :(

JoeKerr
August 21st, 2023, 05:56
Okay it looks like I've got it up and running again. I followed this tutorial https://www.flightsim.com/forums/topic/42358-combat-flight-simulator-not-working-on-windows-10/

I downloaded dgvoodoo2 and put the file named "D3D8.dll" in the cfs3 folder. So far so good!

hairyspin
August 21st, 2023, 13:10
Okay it looks like I've got it up and running again. I followed this tutorial https://www.flightsim.com/forums/topic/42358-combat-flight-simulator-not-working-on-windows-10/

I downloaded dgvoodoo2 and put the file named "D3D8.dll" in the cfs3 folder. So far so good!

That's good to know, and noted for future reference! :encouragement: