View Full Version : Kitty Hawk Class Aircraft Carriers

Pages : [1] 2

expat
July 20th, 2015, 02:54
Available at simviation.com

gaucho_59
July 20th, 2015, 06:35
Available at simviation.com

When you find something of interest...and obviously YOU are one of the first to know the URL... it would
save a lot of time hunting for it... wherever it is... if you also cite the URL...
Constructive criticism intended... no "rivet counting" here...
Thanks for the heads up... Now to go hunting for it... lol

TTFN,
G.

expat
July 20th, 2015, 08:23
Point taken - of course. FYI - I saw this just as I was leaving for work today but didn't have time to post here, and certainly would have included the direct link had my firm's stupid new spam filter not blocked simviation, avsim and several other sim sites (not the SOH thank goodness - at least not yet :untroubled:). Will post the direct link when I get home - it's was on the front page under new stuff - but won't stay there for long, so will post the link for the benefit of future searchers!

expat
July 20th, 2015, 08:36
Here you go.

Try this (some times these later move to other pages on simviation but think its not good form to post the direct download link either (?)).

http://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-58-0

Bjoern
July 20th, 2015, 13:46
91 MB at 30 KBPS. Feels like 2002. :dizzy:

Link:
hxxp://simviation.com/1/download?file=KittyHawkClassV1.00.zip&fileId=49144

Copy, paste and replace the "xx" with "tt".

StormILM
July 20th, 2015, 14:24
I have the Kitty Hawk from the Aerosoft F-14X but am going to check this out anyway. Noticed just below this that there's a Forrestal Class Carrier 2.0. By chance is that a variant of the same one posted to a thread here some time back?

DaveB
July 20th, 2015, 14:29
I've had a quick look and they're not bad. You get Connie too:encouragement:

The FLOLS move a little, both carriers have yellow anchors and the deck aircraft.. as they're not modelled on the carriers.. will all bounce up in the air if you hit a lumpy bit of sea but otherwise, they're okey dokey. Lot's of deck loadouts too.. clean, launch, recovery and full;)

ATB
DaveB:)

dhasdell
July 20th, 2015, 21:37
When you find something of interest...and obviously YOU are one of the first to know the URL... it would
save a lot of time hunting for it... wherever it is... if you also cite the URL...

True, but sometimes a search result won't work when reposted, which is why I posted in another thread that Yanco carriers are at Simviation rather than posting my own search result.

fsafranek
July 21st, 2015, 15:00
I have the Kitty Hawk from the Aerosoft F-14X but am going to check this out anyway. Noticed just below this that there's a Forrestal Class Carrier 2.0. By chance is that a variant of the same one posted to a thread here some time back?
Both are by the same guy, WombRaider78.
:ernaehrung004:

navy81
July 22nd, 2015, 10:18
Anyone able to get the statics to show up?

DaveB
July 22nd, 2015, 13:35
Hi Navy81:wavey:

By statics.. do you mean the aircraft on deck?

If so.. what you have to do is add whichever deck setup you wish to use in exactly the same position as the carrier (in AICarriers that is). Here's one example taken from the conf.d file:

[formation.4]
title=USS Kitty Hawk CV-63 "Launch Cycle" (single)
unit.0=VEH_CV63, 0, 0
unit.1=VEH_CV63_Launch, 0, 0

It looks like you have 2 carriers in the same position but you haven't. VEH_CV63 is the carrier itself and appears in all Kitty Hawk formations. Unit.1=VEH_CV63_Launch, 0, 0 are the aircraft in Launch configuration 'ON DECK'. If you want a different deck setup (lets say crowded deck).. you add Kitty Hawk as above but add .. unit.1=VEH_CV63_Crowded, 0, 0 below it. This will give you a crowded deck:)

ATB

navy81
July 24th, 2015, 03:30
Thanks Dave,
That worked. Thought i had that configured properly, but... no. Details.
I am working on basic paints for both Kitty Hawk and Constellation static aircraft. Once i have Wombraider's permission, i will upload them when complete.

Deke
Navy 81

DaveB
July 24th, 2015, 04:21
No problem Deke:encouragement: When I first looked at the ships in FSX, I thought I'd make a quick formation with a few of them lined up. It was immediately obvious I'd not grasped the 'build' when I looked at them 'in sim' and saw a deck of aircraft without any ship underneath!!:biggrin-new: D'oh!!

Glad you're up and running;)
ATB

navy81
July 24th, 2015, 14:06
Thanks Dave - interesting, but i can only get the "crowded" deck option to spawn static aircraft on the deck. I checked the mdl file of the other two in model converter x and all seems okay. In the end, if i try to launch one of the ai carrier formations that has either the "recovery" or "launch" static files, all i get is the good ol' empty Connie. Havent tried that yet with Kitty Hawk as i use the Aerosoft version.

Will keep tinkering. Gotta be something i am missing.

Cheers.
Deke

DaveB
July 24th, 2015, 14:12
Rgr that mate. I'm sure I've looked at launch too but I'll check again:encouragement:

ATB

DaveB
July 24th, 2015, 14:38
Deke..

Launch and Recovery work ok too..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/kitty.jpg

Here's what I did to achieve that..
[formation.XX]
title=USS Kitty Hawk CV-63 "Launch and Recovery"
unit.0=VEH_CV63, 0, 0
unit.1=VEH_CV63_Launch, 0, 0
unit.2=VEH_CV63, 500, 0
unit.3=VEH_CV63_Recover, 500, 0

What do you reckon mate?
ATB

WombRaider78
July 24th, 2015, 18:03
Thanks for downloading my carrier. I also updated my Forrestal class. Unfortunately Sim outhouse said both files were too large, otherwise I would have uploaded them here.

I also approve of any repaints to the aircraft.

DaveB
July 25th, 2015, 01:15
Thanks for downloading my carrier. I also updated my Forrestal class. Unfortunately Sim outhouse said both files were too large, otherwise I would have uploaded them here.

I also approve of any repaints to the aircraft.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to put this together and make it available:encouragement:

ATB

navy81
July 25th, 2015, 05:32
It's weird. I have those entries in my ai carriers conf'd file. Everything else "spawns" fine - excep those two. will have to look closer.
Thanks guys.
Deke

WombRaider78
July 25th, 2015, 11:25
DaveB, what is causing the ship to bounce? I only noticed jerky ships when I put my frame rate to unlimited. I tried to model the planes on the ship, but it would lock up the sim. You can edit the textures to fix the yellow anchor.

Any other advice/critisims are welcome. I also have the source files to all of my work upon request. I even left the positions text file so you know where the cable/cat zones are.

DaveB
July 25th, 2015, 11:41
DaveB, what is causing the ship to bounce? I only noticed jerky ships when I put my frame rate to unlimited. I tried to model the planes on the ship, but it would lock up the sim. You can edit the textures to fix the yellow anchor.

Any other advice/critisims are welcome. I also have the source files to all of my work upon request. I even left the positions text file so you know where the cable/cat zones are.

Hello Mate:wavey:

Don't worry about the bumpy sea. This is a trade-off of an already dubious mesh around the UK made worse (to some degree) by Horizon and GenX. Once you get far enough away from the shore.. things flatten off;) My default flight starts at Culdrose and I'm not in the air long before I can load AICarriers.. too close it has to be said to avoid these mesh problems.

I'll look at the anchor and dosh a lick of paint over it:encouragement:

ATB

TARPSBird
July 25th, 2015, 16:12
I'm thinking the "yellow" anchors might be an attempt by the ships' creator to duplicate the Navy's Golden Anchor Award, presented to ships with sustained excellence in retention of personnel in the service.

WombRaider78
July 25th, 2015, 17:33
I'm thinking the "yellow" anchors might be an attempt by the ships' creator to duplicate the Navy's Golden Anchor Award, presented to ships with sustained excellence in retention of personnel in the service.

Exactly

:friendly_wink:

DaveB
July 26th, 2015, 04:22
Ah.. rgr that guys:encouragement: Never come across this before. We didn't have such things in the RN.. no big 'E'.. no painted medals and certainly no golden anchor. We did have a 'Golden rivet' but the least said about that the better!:biggrin-new: We had the ships battle honours listed on the ships plaque and that was our lot!

Something learned.. what could be better;)
ATB

Hooky722
July 26th, 2015, 09:18
I Still have no idea why this is but with all these american carriers I seem to be having Major Framerate issues started with the Oriskney a while back and carried on with Midway Forestall and Kitty hawk models the no issue with Lazurus majestic class or any Flying stations carriers it just seems to be the US ones i think the problem is located somewhere near the catapult but i have no idea what it could be but that's where everything grinds to a halt. Shame because they look fantastic.

Hooky

DaveB
July 26th, 2015, 09:36
Are you ok with Clemenceau, Foch and CDG Hooky? I can't think of any particular reason why things should slow down by the cat.. especially on these two as the blast shield is always up so no animation to get in the way. The French carriers are particularly 'busy' but they're pretty well optimised too. I get a bigger hit off Victorious 66 though little to none off Victorious 60.

ATB

Hooky722
July 26th, 2015, 11:36
nope Foch Clemanceu fine as are FS Victorious and the CDG by RFN. I can't make sense of it The only thing I can think is its got something to do with them being complied in sketch up as they all seem to have that in common, But there again so was majestic and that's fine, I can't understand it and its really grinding my gears

Hooky

DaveB
July 26th, 2015, 12:48
Hooky..

You might be right. Sketchup is a fine modelling tool but models made in it are generally meant for static display and not for something like flightsim. Their poly count is higher than it could be as are drawcalls.. even when optimised. I made a rather extensive Porstmouth (and Southampton) using Sketchup models (I downloaded the models then converted them to FS mdl's using MCX) and it got to the point where I couldn't fly down the Solent without going OOM in short order!! I can handle 'one' ok with deck aircraft on my old i5 but I know it's there. Still.. they're not as heavy as Javiers Nimitzv2 or SDB's Big 'E';)

ATB

Bjoern
July 27th, 2015, 06:14
The empty Kitty model is nearly 20 MB in filesize with about 270k triangles and 580k texture vertices, producing 25 drawcalls. The static aircraft add another 360k triangles, 573k texture vertices and 16 drawcalls.
The Clemenceau model all in all has 190k triangles, 230k texture vertices and 251 drawcalls at 8.5 MB filesize.

The sheer amount of texture vertices is probably choking FSX.

- Edit:
Tried a vertex weld operation in MCX on one of the Kitty models. The program crashed when it reached its allocated memory limit. Great, eh?

expat
July 27th, 2015, 07:57
with all these american carriers I seem to be having Major Framerate issues started with the Oriskney a while back and carried on with Midway Forestall and Kitty hawk models the no issue with Lazurus majestic class or any Flying stations carriers it just seems to be the US ones i think the problem is located somewhere near the catapult

As a heavy user of these boats, I have observed the same behavior. It is after trapping and moving up to the cat that an FPS dorp is most noticeable, otherwise not too bad.

Separately, I also have problems with the AS A-3D Skywarrior (not with other a/c) hitting some kind of crash box on the Oriskany, Midway and Forrestal. I trap with crash detection on (more exciting/satisfying/bloody frustrating that way) and got a good one yesterday with the Whale (rare for me on anything smaller than the Nimitz and Big E) on the Kitty Hawk, but that has a bit more acreage on the deck, and my touchdown profile was - unusually in the whale - just right and and light as possible. Suspect it is the much wider wingspan of the A-3 hitting something invisible?

DaveB
July 27th, 2015, 08:50
Yup.. just did a quick test to confirm this. Landing on is no problem at all but as soon as I got level with the FLOLS.. my FR dropped to a little over 17fps and stayed there all the way to the bow. The model I used was in 'Launch' config so there was nothing visible on deck to drag the FR's down. Odd.. very odd.

ATB

navy81
July 27th, 2015, 10:05
Dave, Wombraider, et al,
my problem was fixed by just copying the confd file directly from the unzipped download and pasting into the ai carriers conf'd folder, rather than creating separate entries - if that makes sense. All seems to be well now.
Attached are screenshots with repainted deck statics (lightened the overall color to more consistent with a light gull gray, and for the Connie, i selected VF-92 for the F-4, VA-165 for the A-6 and VA-146 for the A-7 liveries). Still working on liveries for the Kitty Hawk and some minor tweaks to these, and testing it since i will need two separate texture files for the different carriers.

More to follow in the next few days.
Very nice work and thanks for supplying the Kitty Hawk and Connie. Now, if we could just get an America and JFK... one can hope.

Deke
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25707&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25708&stc=1

DaveB
July 27th, 2015, 10:32
Ohhhh.. I'm likin' that Deke!!

Got a soft spot for Connie.. we met up with her group in the Indian Ocean.. '74 or '75.. can't quite remember now. She put on a fabulous air display for us including a live firing..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk9.jpg
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk10.jpg
Don't laugh.. camera's were not like they are now. This old lady only had a 50mm lens and you can see that can't you!!:biggrin-new:
ATB

DaveB
July 27th, 2015, 10:35
Here's another shot to confirm your screenshot..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk4.jpg

The BL deck code denotes HMS Blake;)
ATB

sparouty
July 27th, 2015, 14:04
The empty Kitty model is nearly 20 MB in filesize with about 270k triangles and 580k texture vertices, producing 25 drawcalls. The static aircraft add another 360k triangles, 573k texture vertices and 16 drawcalls.
The Clemenceau model all in all has 190k triangles, 230k texture vertices and 251 drawcalls at 8.5 MB filesize.

- Edit:
Tried a vertex weld operation in MCX on one of the Kitty models. The program crashed when it reached its allocated memory limit. Great, eh?
Hi,
You're probably right, the amount of textured vertices seems quite high regarding triangles. I'm carefully look at the ratio "textured vertices/triangles" which is, to my point of view a good indicator of mesh and mapping optimization.
The Drawcalls number is also interesting as it may shows how graphical resources are impacted, but... (there is always a "but") drawcalls number can be hard to be read as it can be highly increased by animations or visibility conditions.
That's why Clemenceau/Foch models have such high drawcalls without specific impacts on FPS : any animated parts (blastshield, shooters, FLOLS single light parts, etc...) generate drawcall but these extra drawcalls don't impact FPS as much as "basic" drawcalls. You have the same case with 3D cockpit model and all the switch animations that increase the number of drawcalls seen by MCX without any specific FPS hit.

When I modeled my carriers I didn't have a simple "recipe" for FPS, but I tried to follow some simple rules like:
- 1 texture per static aircraft model squadron =>meaning about 6 or 7 extra drawcalls max
- low poly modeling : 500 vertices max per crewman, 5000 vertices per airplane with exception for chopper or E-2C (which are not so many on the flight deck)
- vertices welding for each of my model object to decrease as much as possible the number of vertices
- try to optimize the mapping by reducing the number of textures used and by having simple/grouped mapping structure : having a mapping spread all over the texture map highly increases the number of textured vertices, the size of the mdl and at least, it may impact the FPS
Regarding this last point, I eared that mapping and material management aren't easy to handle with Skechtup....

Regards,
Sylvain

Hooky722
July 27th, 2015, 16:02
Very nice work and thanks for supplying the Kitty Hawk and Connie. Now, if we could just get an America and JFK... one can hope.

Deke

Personally Deke I'm still hoping for A Hermes of some variation or Even Eagle or one of the Centaur class carriers.
Might be waiting a while :mixed-smiley-010:

Hooky

Hooky722
July 27th, 2015, 16:05
Yup.. just did a quick test to confirm this. Landing on is no problem at all but as soon as I got level with the FLOLS.. my FR dropped to a little over 17fps and stayed there all the way to the bow. The model I used was in 'Launch' config so there was nothing visible on deck to drag the FR's down. Odd.. very odd.

ATB

Thanks Dave, Yep that's exactly what I've been getting glad I'm not going crazy or that 'Old faithful' here (meaing my rig) isn't about to give up the chase.

Hooky

WombRaider78
July 27th, 2015, 16:10
I have also noticed this large drop in FPS. I am trying to chase it down. I thought at first it was a reflection problem. But I have ruled that out.

When I chase it down, I will make an update.

Bjoern
July 27th, 2015, 16:21
Regarding this last point, I eared that mapping and material management aren't easy to handle with Skechtup....

Yep. SKU uses a different philosophy for handling materials than a "real" 3D modeling tool.

I've exported the CV63 in OBJ format from MCX (91 MB! :dizzy:) and loaded it into 3ds Max. I could bring the vertex count of the entire boat below 70k by joining all the parts together and welding all vertices within 1mm radius of each other. This, however, destroyed the materials (bad!) and produced a whole lot of double polygons (very bad!).
Reworking the Kitties to be a bit more performance friendly would probably take more time than simply doing an efficient model from scratch...

expat
July 28th, 2015, 03:57

Me too! Those paints look great and VF-92 is a long time favorite for the phlyable (AS) phantom.

sketchy
July 28th, 2015, 05:15
Here's another shot to confirm your screenshot..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk4.jpg

The BL deck code denotes HMS Blake;)
ATB

Nice shot Dave, is this one of your personal ones that survived your Ex?

DaveB
July 28th, 2015, 08:41
Nice shot Dave, is this one of your personal ones that survived your Ex?

Hiya Fraser:wavey:
Yes mate.. and the only reason it survived is because it's one of a handful I sent home to my mom and dad:banghead: This one might be more to your liking..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk5.jpg
Sorry for dragging this a bit OT but the Seaking was taken at the same time!!
ATB

Essex
July 28th, 2015, 10:54
I'm still hoping for A Hermes of some variation

There is quite a nice Hermes available at the sketchup warehouse (with the same issues). Good luck.

navy81
July 28th, 2015, 13:00

Got a soft spot for Connie.. we met up with her group in the Indian Ocean.. '74 or '75.. can't quite remember now. She put on a fabulous air display for us including a live firing..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk9.jpg
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk10.jpg
Don't laugh.. camera's were not like they are now. This old lady only had a 50mm lens and you can see that can't you!!:biggrin-new:
ATB

Dave - Nice!
Love the "wall of water". While the Phantom was great to watch, the A-6 was fantastic at showing how many fish you can kill in one pass (with 24 Mk 82's)..

Getting more work done on Wombraider's "fleet". Working on FID (Forrestal) now - will post a screenie in a few minutes. More tweaking to do on the Be-devilers of VF-74. Have VA-85 (A-6) and VA-83 (A-7) in pretty good shape. AFter that, then on to Sara (VF-31, VA-75, VA-37).

DaveB
July 28th, 2015, 13:17
That works for me mate:encouragement:

I can't remember the exact aircraft now but whatever it was.. it flew in the direction you see the Phantom flying in and dropped flares.. a whole string of the darned things.. then cleared off sharpish. Before we knew what was happening.. the Phantom appeared and opened fire on them!! Most impressive was the Vigilante. We were still in the same station to Connie (off her stbd quarter) and were told to look aft. It came in low, between the 2 ships, and was gone. God knows how fast it was going but it literally passed us and was a fair distance off before we heard it. Couldn't say if it went supersonic but it was damn fast.. damn loud too. Still gives me goosebumps thinking about it:biggrin-new:

ATB

navy81
July 28th, 2015, 14:53
CAG-17 aboard Forrestal - works in progress.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25754&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25755&stc=1

VA-85 A-6E
VF-74 F-4J
VA-83 A-7E

Need to adjust some of the markings on the Phantom.

What are the chances of getting static aircraft sets (like Wombraider has provided) using 2 different mix sets?:
F-14
F-18
S-3
and
F-4
A-4
F-8

I know Guy Diotte has several Static AI models available on simviation. Anyhow, all of these will be made available once i am satisfied with all of them, and if anyone has a desire to create additional static sets (crowded, launch, recovery) for Forrestal class, Kitty Hawk class, and possibly Oriskany (minus the F-4's) - that would be something!
Deke

WombRaider78
July 28th, 2015, 17:54

- Edit:

While I do agree that Sketchup is a pretty bad program to make large detailed objects, there has got to be something causing this FPS drop. The whole carrier is not in view when the FPS drop happens, just the bow. I get a solid 30 FPS with almost maxed out settings on approach and every time the carrier is in full view. I am thinking maybe it is the blast shields. That would require a bit of editing, but it will also kill the blast shield.

DaveB
July 29th, 2015, 01:28
I wondered if the blast shield was causing it. TBH.. I don't think the models would suffer if it was left down mate;)

ATB

expat
July 29th, 2015, 01:34
Let me just take a moment to express my gratitude to you for such fine work on the Kitty Hawk and Forrestal class carriers - really has helped fill the long standing gap between Nimitz and WWII boats. These are great freeware additions.

Re the FPS, my experience is very similar in that I don't notice much or any drop in frames on approach or when the boat is in full view and notice the drop very much around the blast shields.

sketchy
July 29th, 2015, 06:45
Hiya Fraser:wavey:
Yes mate.. and the only reason it survived is because it's one of a handful I sent home to my mom and dad:banghead: This one might be more to your liking..
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/blk5.jpg
Sorry for dragging this a bit OT but the Seaking was taken at the same time!!
ATB

You know me too well Dave! That was 826 yes?

DaveB
July 29th, 2015, 08:10
You know me too well Dave! That was 826 yes?

I know we had 820 mate. Can't recall if they were a permanent fixture though?

EDIT: This link kinda confirms it was 820 mate.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/820_Naval_Air_Squadron
ATB

navy81
July 29th, 2015, 13:40
Still painting and bringing Air Wing's to life for WombRaider 78's fleet of Supercarriers.
Completed Connie, Forrestal, and Saratoga air wings. Now to Ranger and Indy, with Kitty Hawk rounding out the group.

Here are a few of the Saratoga Air Wing (1975 time frame):

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25813&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25814&stc=1

Deke

Blood_Hawk23
July 29th, 2015, 14:41
Still painting and bringing Air Wing's to life for WombRaider 78's fleet of Supercarriers.Completed Connie, Forrestal, and Saratoga air wings. Now to Ranger and Indy, with Kitty Hawk rounding out the group.Here are a few of the Saratoga Air Wing (1975 time frame):http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25813&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25814&stc=1DekeAny chance of the America?

Blood_Hawk23
July 29th, 2015, 23:42
Sketchup will model both sides of the poly. So for every 2 polys you actually will have 4. I noticed this when I used a few models I made and imported them into GMax. To see what I'm talking about just make a simple box in sku. Add the material to it. then import it into GMax. You will see the material inside the box as well as outside. Maybe I did something wrong when I made the models. Either way I started to learn GMax after I saw that.

navy81
July 30th, 2015, 18:49
Ranger Air Wing (CAG-2) 1974 time frame.
VF-21 F-4J
VA-145 A-6A
VA-113 A-7E

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25875&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25876&stc=1

DaveB
July 31st, 2015, 00:55
Thick and fast.. just how we like em:encouragement:

ATB

WombRaider78
August 1st, 2015, 09:42
I found a Weld tool for Sketchup. I ran it on both carriers. It took a long while, but it did finish. I will be exporting the models and bringing them up to speed for FSX soon. Any other tips to something I can do to make them even more frame friendly?

Navy81 made a request for more statics. I need help finding/painting some static models! I would like an A-4, F-8, Tracer, Vigilante, and a suitable 60s era plane tender. Any help acquiring/painting these would be appreciated.

DaveB
August 1st, 2015, 10:08

Can't help with the static models I'm afraid but as a suggestion for the ship itself.. I still think it looks a little odd with the blast shield up all the time so I'd be happy to see that down. Not sure what the others might think though.
ATB

TARPSBird
August 1st, 2015, 12:00
I agree with DaveB about the raised blast deflector.

Blood_Hawk23
August 1st, 2015, 12:41
I found a Weld tool for Sketchup. I ran it on both carriers. It took a long while, but it did finish. I will be exporting the models and bringing them up to speed for FSX soon. Any other tips to something I can do to make them even more frame friendly?

Navy81 made a request for more statics. I need help finding/painting some static models! I would like an A-4, F-8, Tracer, Vigilante, and a suitable 60s era plane tender. Any help acquiring/painting these would be appreciated.

Take a look here...

http://www.freeflightdesign.org/military.html

Might be some models you can use as static. There are 2 A-4s, F-4s, A-6s, C-2a. Some are GMax and some are FSDS. All can be converted into any format you want. They may be lower quality then FSX but you did say you want them as static models.

If you look here...

http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

you might find others.

WombRaider78
August 1st, 2015, 14:28
I removed the blast shield.

Bjoern
August 1st, 2015, 18:06

How does SketchUp manage materials and mappings?

Normally, you go for as little materials on a model as possible by cramming as many parts on a single texture sheet as you can. If there's a plugin for SKU that improves material management, give it a try.

The vertex welding was a good start and might just help enough with framerates.

WombRaider78
August 1st, 2015, 18:58
It has the ability to use single sheets, but I am not skilled in the art of doing that.

Bjoern
August 2nd, 2015, 04:10
From what I could see, lots of elements of the carrier models are simply models with colors assigned instead of textures (e.g. runway markings and island numbers). Those would have to be texture mapped and added to the main texture sheet. This is very work intensive and also depends on whaether SKU can do this or not.

Did the vertex welding help in terms of performance?

gp183601
August 2nd, 2015, 05:37
From what I could see, lots of elements of the carrier models are simply models with colors assigned instead of textures (e.g. runway markings and island numbers). Those would have to be texture mapped and added to the main texture sheet. This is very work intensive and also depends on whaether SKU can do this or not.

Sketchup is pretty limited in its texturing capabilities. It doesn't have the ability to create a UVWMap nor perform texture unwrapping. Womb raider has hit the same issues I found for some of my early sketchup ships (such as oriskany and invincible) that due to sketchups limitations I would end up with over 95 materials which were applied individually to each part/component of the ship and had serious impacts on frame rates.

The trick I've found (and am testing out for my Ark Royal V model) is to manually create a texture sheet in Photoshop and then use sketchups capabilities to stretch a texture over the component to perform a crude texture map to a surface. It requires lots of trial and error though and isn't ideal.

Long term I've started experimenting with Blender as if I'm serious about producing models with animations it's the only way to go. (GMAX/Blender/3DS Max)

cheers
Gary

Blood_Hawk23
August 2nd, 2015, 08:10
While Sketchup can create some nice looking models, allow me to show you one of the biggest problems.

I took a SKU model of a F-4 Phantom II. Exported it as a .dae. then with modelconverterx, exported it as a .3ds model. From there I imported it into GMax.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26024&stc=1

Just the engine nozels alone have over 5000 polys.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26025&stc=1

The whole model is over 64000 polys. You can imagine the number of verts.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26026&stc=1

Here is the material list. Note that none of them have textures mapped. This is common with all Sketchup models. Not to mention the double polys as I stated earlier.

It is a shame that it works in this manor because it is so easy to use. It realy does make excellent looking models. The time it would take me to do those nozels like that in GMax would be ten fold the time it takes in sketchup.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

WombRaider78
August 2nd, 2015, 13:07
Just welding the model did the trick. I also cleaned up a lot of lines in the raw file. The framerate issue is gone! I get a solid locked 30FPS. Even with the fleet and the crowded deck. I also painted the anchors to the hull color.

Here is a pic that I just snapped after re-launch...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26033&stc=1

DaveB
August 2nd, 2015, 13:34
Well done mate and thanks for looking into the problem. Can't wait to get the new model and Deke's squadron repaints:encouragement:

ATB

Blood_Hawk23
August 2nd, 2015, 14:08
Just welding the model did the trick. I also cleaned up a lot of lines in the raw file. The framerate issue is gone! I get a solid locked 30FPS. Even with the fleet and the crowded deck. I also painted the anchors to the hull color.

Here is a pic that I just snapped after re-launch...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26033&stc=1

Awesome!! :applause:

WombRaider78
August 2nd, 2015, 15:05
What I really want to do is make a single texture for the decks. But for now, here is what I have so far...

http://www.filedropper.com/kittyhawkclassv150
** click the "Download this file" box and a captcha will pop up. The other Download clicks are frauds.

If someone would like my source files, so they can polish/mod this project better than I can, let me know. I will post the source files.

Bjoern
August 2nd, 2015, 17:23
From Gary's and BloodHawk's inputs, it looks like the most sensible thing is to convert SKU objects for some thorough reworking in Blender. Welding vertices, proper texture mapping and animations.
This, of course, increases the workload by quite a bit.

Well done!

What I really want to do is make a single texture for the decks. But for now, here is what I have so far...

http://www.filedropper.com/kittyhawkclassv150
** click the "Download this file" box and a captcha will pop up. The other Download clicks are frauds.

If someone would like my source files, so they can polish/mod this project better than I can, let me know. I will post the source files.

You can upload the source files at FSDeveloper, if you want. Or get in touch with the guys at fs-shipyards for hosting.

WombRaider78
August 2nd, 2015, 17:59
Oh, delete the VEH_CV63 & VEH_CV64 folders before you install. Don't know if these new files will be corrupted with the old. So delete the folders, there will be no problems.

edakridge
August 2nd, 2015, 18:34
Is there any way to "Clean up" the polys on your Forrestal class carriers? They have the same frame rate issues.

WombRaider78
August 2nd, 2015, 18:55
I was thinking of updating them too. Should I remove the blast shield from them too?

Hooky722
August 2nd, 2015, 23:44
I would recommend leaving them up on at least one to see if it makes an impact then see what happens. Just a thought

Hooky

edakridge
August 3rd, 2015, 01:48
I think so.

expat
August 3rd, 2015, 04:29
Trial and error/success makes sense. Really appreciate these refinements to these fine carriers.

navy81
August 3rd, 2015, 04:57
I will send the updated texture files (mat00 - A6, mat7 - F4, and mat18 - A7) to Warren (WombRaider78) to incorporate into his next release. Have to get Indy done to do so, but will endeavor to have that complete today.

Good stuff going on here by all.:applause:

DaveB
August 3rd, 2015, 09:39
Warren (WR78)..

I've tried the new model mate and it's still giving a massive frame hit.. on deck as I approach the fwd end. Just seen 9fps while in the default Cessna with no other ship in view. Flying around it appears ok but otherwise.. the FR issue remains I'm afraid. The previous models were deleted prior to adding the new ones.:(

ATB

WombRaider78
August 3rd, 2015, 11:05
Warren (WR78)..

I've tried the new model mate and it's still giving a massive frame hit.. on deck as I approach the fwd end. Just seen 9fps while in the default Cessna with no other ship in view. Flying around it appears ok but otherwise.. the FR issue remains I'm afraid. The previous models were deleted prior to adding the new ones.:(

ATB

If the decks are down, it is definitely the new update. What are your PC specs??

Blood_Hawk23
August 3rd, 2015, 11:19
could you send me a copy to look at? I'd like to see whats up in this area in GMax. Hopefully my comp won't rollover and die in the process. LOL.. Its only an XP machine.

WombRaider78
August 3rd, 2015, 13:34
Here are the source files. Everything, including the static models.

http://www.filedropper.com/forrestal-kittyhawkclasssourcefiles08-03-15

I really would not mind someone taking this project further than I can. There is a HUGE lack in the available ships for FSX/P3D in the post Korea-Vietnam era. That is what motivated me in this.

DaveB
August 3rd, 2015, 13:38
If the decks are down, it is definitely the new update. What are your PC specs??

Yes.. definitely the new model.. no blast deflectors.

PC spec: Intel i5 2500K (3.3-3.7gig) Win7 Ultimate (64-bit), Palit GTX560Ti 1.2gig, 8gig system ram. No monster I know but more than capable of running this. Approach to trap is fine.. the trap is fine but as I get to the end of the landing strip and move forward.. I suddenly lose a shed load of frames, same as before.
ATB

navy81
August 3rd, 2015, 14:45
While the technical pieces are being worked out for these fantastic Vietnam/cold war era beauties, i have completed Air Wing paint for WombRaider's statics for Forrestal, Saratoga, Ranger, Independence, and Connstellation. Here are Indy's aircraft - A-6 (VA-176), A-7 (VA-87), F-4 (VF-102).

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26075&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26076&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26077&stc=1

WombRaider78
August 3rd, 2015, 16:17
Those are some sweet repaints!

navy81
August 5th, 2015, 08:22
I have uploaded the texture repaints for WombRaider78's Forrestal class (4 texture sets - 1 for each Carrier) and Kitty Hawk Class (1 for each Carrier) in the FSX Ships portion of the warbirds files here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=114

There are two download links for the Indy - be sure to select the one that actually has the zip file - sorry about that one.

I am also working on the A-7's, F-4's and A-6's for Gary's 1975 Midway.

Deke

DaveB
August 5th, 2015, 08:35
Cheers Deke.. great work sir:encouragement:

ATB

YoYo
August 5th, 2015, 09:27
I am also working on the A-7's, F-4's and A-6's for Gary's 1975 Midway.

Please!!! :wavey:

DaveB
August 5th, 2015, 11:23
Warren..

I've found a problem with Connie (v1.5). The 'Recover' version isn't working. Coincidental that this is the one I had listed in AIC and it's the one that stutters like hell. I put Deke's Connie aircraft onboard today and realised there are no aircraft showing (in Recover). In case I'd made a faux pas with the texture install.. I changed the entry in AIC to show Kitty Hawks 'Recover' and that worked fine on Connie. Deleted Connie v1.5 and started again. Still the same.. heavy stutters with Recover model added and no aircraft on deck. Tried Crowded and its fine PLUS.. the stutters are gone. Tried Launch.. that's fine too. Backed up the original 3 aircraft textures to be overwritten by Deke's files then added the new files. Launch.. fine. Crowded.. fine but still no Recover.

Assuming the aircraft models are the same for each ship.. I can drag Kitty's Recover into Connie and rename it. So.. stuttery Sue is associated with just the Connie Recover model.. the rest (including Kitty) are fine:)

EDIT: Hmm.. using the Recover model from Kitty didn't work (though changing the AIC entry to display Kitty's Launch aircraft works fine). Perhaps a change of GUID's or something. No problem.. I'm happy to live with Crowded at the mo;)
ATB

YoYo
August 5th, 2015, 13:21
Warren..

I've found a problem with Connie (v1.5). The 'Recover' version isn't working. Coincidental that this is the one I had listed in AIC and it's the one that stutters like hell.

I can confirm it, the same problem with Recover CV-64 version. The rest is ok (1.5, but less FPS than USS Ent. by Team SBD), by the way Congrats! : )

http://images70.fotosik.pl/1091/739b49c4272d456f.jpg

http://images69.fotosik.pl/1091/4c18e10cef1476ca.jpg

DaveB
August 5th, 2015, 13:43
I sincerely hope that isn't a trick to make me buy that darned Phantom. Fancy posting a Constellation paint.. you KNOW I'm easily led!!:banghead:
Thanks for the confirmation YoYo;)

:very_drunk:
ATB

Blood_Hawk23
August 5th, 2015, 14:07
Here are the source files. Everything, including the static models.

http://www.filedropper.com/forrestal-kittyhawkclasssourcefiles08-03-15

I really would not mind someone taking this project further than I can. There is a HUGE lack in the available ships for FSX/P3D in the post Korea-Vietnam era. That is what motivated me in this.

the download comes up as empty. even win RAR can't open it.

Butcherbird17
August 5th, 2015, 16:14
I sincerely hope that isn't a trick to make me buy that darned Phantom. Fancy posting a Constellation paint.. you KNOW I'm easily led!!
Thanks for the confirmation YoYo

ATB
DaveB

Come on Dave, you know you want this too............:wavey:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/Tomcat_zpswzwwo9xf.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/Tomcat_zpswzwwo9xf.jpg.html)

Joe

Blood_Hawk23
August 5th, 2015, 17:00

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/Tomcat_zpswzwwo9xf.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/Tomcat_zpswzwwo9xf.jpg.html)

Joe

Now thats just playing dirty... :biggrin-new:

navy81
August 5th, 2015, 17:20
Working on last texture set - for Gary's Midway with the F-4's, A-6's and A-7's aboard.
CAG-5 (CVW-5) with VF-161 representing the Phantoms, and VA-93 the SLUF. Of course, VA-115 for the Intruder.

I was thinking of making alternate air wing paints that members can drag and drop should they want some difference - noting YoYo's Pukin' Dog phantom overflying Connie - as all know Air Wing - to - Carrier assignments change from time to time - and Connie did have CVW-14 aboard during the Vietnam war for a period. Anyhow, that may be a possibility for the future if there is a desire.

For now, here is CVW-5/Midway WIP:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26154&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26155&stc=1

DaveB
August 6th, 2015, 07:48

Now thats just playing dirty... :biggrin-new:

Aint it just!!!:rocket: I will crack.. I know I will but I'm holding strong at the moment.. until the next sale that is.

Deke.. that paint for the Alpha/Virtavia CH-46 is nice. Is it on general release? The 3 paints that come with the model never seem to fit what I want to do in the darned thing!!
ATB

navy81
August 6th, 2015, 08:08
Dave,
the HC-8 textures are free and over at AVSIM - search on "Sea Knight" and find the entry that says "CH46 Sea Knight 5 schemes". In addition to HC-8, it has HC-11, Marine Camo, RCAF SAR, and NAS Pt Mugu SAR.

Deke

DaveB
August 6th, 2015, 08:47
Rgr that mate.. cheers:ernaehrung004:

ATB

Hooky722
August 6th, 2015, 13:54
Quick question what program do you use to make the deck traffic I'm guessing it's something like Gmail correct?

expat
August 7th, 2015, 07:42
Don't wish to hijack this thread but I have the AS CH-46 and can't for the life of me figure out how to fly it. The throttle control is very odd as the rotors slow and stop if you give it full throttle and then once airborne becomes uncontrollable. Not a great helo fan or flier but don't have this issue with other copters. Have searched but not found any advice on this issue.

DaveB
August 7th, 2015, 12:34
Hmm.. I don't see that mate. Yes.. it seems slower to respond to throttle than some other helicopters but other than that.. it's quite stable and easy to fly. Are you starting it cold or with engines running?
ATB

expat
August 7th, 2015, 13:55
Thanks. Usually do a cold start - think you can only use Ctrl + E (on vacation now so unable to test fly it).

xpelekis
August 7th, 2015, 22:26
For using the CV-64 with CCP, add these lines at the end of the "PA.cfg"

[VEH_CV64]
path = VEH_CV64
VEH_CV64 = 57X
Pos1 = 7.50, 40.00, 17.65, +1.0
Pos2 = -15.50, 40.00, 17.65, -4.0
Pos3 = 20.00, -65.00, 17.65, -4.0

Spawns user's plane at the 3 working catapults. Only the "clean" version of the Carrier is supported
due to the way it is modelled.

WombRaider78
August 9th, 2015, 16:19
Warren..

I've found a problem with Connie (v1.5). The 'Recover' version isn't working. Coincidental that this is the one I had listed in AIC and it's the one that stutters like hell. I put Deke's Connie aircraft onboard today and realised there are no aircraft showing (in Recover). In case I'd made a faux pas with the texture install.. I changed the entry in AIC to show Kitty Hawks 'Recover' and that worked fine on Connie. Deleted Connie v1.5 and started again. Still the same.. heavy stutters with Recover model added and no aircraft on deck. Tried Crowded and its fine PLUS.. the stutters are gone. Tried Launch.. that's fine too. Backed up the original 3 aircraft textures to be overwritten by Deke's files then added the new files. Launch.. fine. Crowded.. fine but still no Recover.

Assuming the aircraft models are the same for each ship.. I can drag Kitty's Recover into Connie and rename it. So.. stuttery Sue is associated with just the Connie Recover model.. the rest (including Kitty) are fine:)

EDIT: Hmm.. using the Recover model from Kitty didn't work (though changing the AIC entry to display Kitty's Launch aircraft works fine). Perhaps a change of GUID's or something. No problem.. I'm happy to live with Crowded at the mo;)
ATB

OOPS!

Open up the sim.cfg file. where it says:

[fltsim.3]
title=VEH_CV64_Recover
model=
texture=

MAKE IT SAY:
[fltsim.3]
title=VEH_CV64_Recover
model=Recover
texture=

I am going to rename the file structure to make things easier. Instead of "Recover" the new model name will be "CV_63_Recover" and etc. Whatever is causing this FPS hit is in the center of the model. I was getting good FPS when I was testing for 1.5. Apparently I was looking in the wrong spot. It is above 20 FPS though.

Sorry for all of the updates and ETC. I am one guy and not a lot of time!

Warren

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 00:03
Cheers mate:encouragement: I feel a bit stupid for not spotting that. I looked at that cfg more times too:banghead:

ATB

navy81
August 10th, 2015, 03:54
I was thinking of updating them too. Should I remove the blast shield from them too?

Warren,
i noted an improvement in frame rates with the new Connie and Kitty Hawk over what i see with any of the four Forrestal class that still have the JBD (Jet Blast Deflector) on Cat1 raised. Is there still a thought of lowering (removing) the raised JBD in order to improve frame rates?

I also noted that Gary's Midway really causes frame rate drop, and that compared to the other Carriers, has a "shadow" that is considerably darker and larger than the other carriers - at the same time of day and position relative to the sun - might that be a culprit? Not sure how to lighten that up.

Finally, in my effort to take the Aerosoft Kitty Hawk - which is just a fantastic ship, and make it (for my own purpose) into CV-66 (America) by changing the 63 to 66 on the deck_1_t and island_t dds files - it looks quite good (and believable) - but when i repaint the statics on deck (as i did for all 6 of your creations) in order to get a different Air Wing, they show up with the new scheme in MCX, but not in sim. If anyone has any thoughts related to this, please feel free to weigh in.

Deke

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 04:36
Deke..

Did you manage to get rid of the island pennant number lights? Changing the number is easy enough but you're left with the outline of Kitty Hawk's '3' due to those darned lights:banghead: BTW.. the ships name on the stern is on map hull3;) I doubt the number lights can be changed as they're modelled and probably mapped to one colour.
ATB

Butcherbird17
August 10th, 2015, 05:58
Finally, in my effort to take the Aerosoft Kitty Hawk - which is just a fantastic ship, and make it (for my own purpose) into CV-66 (America) by changing the 63 to 66 on the deck_1_t and island_t dds files - it looks quite good (and believable) - but when i repaint the statics on deck (as i did for all 6 of your creations) in order to get a different Air Wing, they show up with the new scheme in MCX, but not in sim. If anyone has any thoughts related to this, please feel free to weigh in.

Deke

Deke,

I have already painted up Aerosoft's Kitty Hawk as her 3 sisters. I do need to change the names on the stern as DaveB has noted above. (good catch Dave) I can send you what I have, just PM me with email addy.

Dave,

I got your PM's but didn't have time to reply, had to go to work. Will get back to you when I get off.

Joe

DaveB
August 10th, 2015, 06:03
Deke,

I have already painted up Aerosoft's Kitty Hawk as her 3 sisters. I do need to change the names on the stern as DaveB has noted above. (good catch Dave) I can send you what I have, just PM me with email addy.

Dave,

I got your PM's but didn't have time to reply, had to go to work. Will get back to you when I get off.

Joe

Rears done and uploaded for 64, 66 and 67. Link sent to Joe.. I'll send you one too Deke:encouragement:
ATB

Dman
August 10th, 2015, 14:25
Any chance we can see a screen of the sister ships?

navy81
August 10th, 2015, 15:05
Deke,

Dave,

Joe

Joe and Dave -
Thanks for the reply, i'll make the change for America on Hull_3. With regard to the light outlines, negative - could not find those. My issue is with repainting the following textures to change the air wing. I will post a few screenshot to descirbe what i am talking about - in case anyone has any other ideas.

navy81
August 11th, 2015, 02:55
Those textures BTW are:
A7_1_t
A7_2_t
F14_1_t
F14_2_t
Airwing_1_t
Airwing_2_t

and the spec, LM and hanger (hangar) versions...

Two screenshots attached.
First and second pictures are partially completed Air Wing for Connie (CVW-9- NG)
Last one is Connie with new textures substituted - but still Kitty Hawk Air Wing (CVW-11 - NH) aboard...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26355&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26356&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26357&stc=1

DaveB
August 11th, 2015, 03:34
Great work Deke.. much appreciate your efforts:encouragement: You must be getting weary of duplicating air wings by now.. I know I would!!:dizzy:

ATB

DaveB
August 11th, 2015, 05:09
Any chance we can see a screen of the sister ships?

This is for the payware Kitty Hawk (free with the Aerosoft F-14). I'll do one for Warren's models too:encouragement:
http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/sisters.jpg
You really wouldn't want to be at the sharp end of these four girls would you. The firepower of each one is phenomenal!!

They're all carrying the same air wing at present but Deke is working on that;)

ATB

DaveB
August 11th, 2015, 05:40
Here's a couple of Warren's models. Kitty Hawk is in it's modern airwing fit loaded as 'Crowded' and Constellation has Deke's 'retro' airwing in 'Launch' config

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/sisters2.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/sisters3.jpg
ATB

Hooky722
August 16th, 2015, 09:29
I've just noticed something. Just taken Kittyhawk V 1.5 into Modelconverter X to see if there was anything obvious I could do to drive the Frames down and realized this things got over 2070 platforms on it!!!! I'm going to try and reduce it but its not easy as every upwards surface and runway marking is a platform! I'll let you know how I get on, unfortunately MDLConverterX doesn't allow you to bulk select platforms so i'm having to delete them one by one manually. I could be here some time

EDIT: SOD THAT FOR A GAME OF SOLDIERS!!!! Barely got 250 done before it crashed and expected me to start over! forget it anyone else wants to try be my guest but I'm not going through that again its like pulling teeth!

Interestingly this same issue exists with the Oriskney and the midway 1975 models both of which have frame rate issues, both of which have platform counts in excess of 2000. the Majestic class on the other hand has a platform count of nearer 40 and no fr issues.

DaveB
August 16th, 2015, 10:44
2000 platforms does sound a bit excessive even though this carrier is much larger than the Majestic class you've compared it with:dizzy: Makes you wonder doesn't it.

EDIT: Just had a look at the Kitty Hawk which comes with the F-14.. it has 305 platforms!!

ATB

Hooky722
August 16th, 2015, 10:52
2000 platforms does sound a bit excessive even though this carrier is much larger than the Majestic class you've compared it with:dizzy: Makes you wonder doesn't it.

ATB

If you look at the Mesh model in MDLConverter you can see where the decks been made up of tiny triangles hundreds of them and there all roughly around the areas of the deck where people have been having problems. I think we may have found our culprit here boys! I'd like to take one of the models delete all platforms then run auto-platform at a reduced definition (000.9 usually produces about 40 platforms) and see what happens but I genuinely don't have the time or patience to sift through and delete all those platforms unless someone knows a trick with MDLConverterX that I'm missing?

Dave, I grant what your saying about the difference in size between Oriskney, Midway, Kittyhawk and the Majestic but I've just pulled up Flying Stations Victorious and that hasn't even got a platform count higher that 27. I really do think there's something to this

DaveB
August 16th, 2015, 11:12
Did you see my edit mate?? The much more detailed 'payware' Kitty Hawk has only 305 platforms and it's the same size.. it's the same carrier in fact!

ATB

DaveB
August 16th, 2015, 13:00
Hooky..

Had a look at this model in MCX and notice the hangar is platformed too. While this is completely unnecessary at the moment.. I get the feeling that Warren was hoping someone would 'pick it up' and make a full-blown animated model out of it. I don't know what overheads these platforms make but they must impact somewhere.

ATB

Hooky722
August 16th, 2015, 14:05
Hooky..

Had a look at this model in MCX and notice the hangar is platformed too. While this is completely unnecessary at the moment.. I get the feeling that Warren was hoping someone would 'pick it up' and make a full-blown animated model out of it. I don't know what overheads these platforms make but they must impact somewhere.

ATB

Agreed mate, sorry BTW I missed your edit earlier then my internet failed just when I was in the middle of the reply!:banghead: It's been up and down like a yoyo recently but anyway, I'm going to get onto the Developer of MCX and see if they can integrate a bulk platform select if I can figure out how to submit a request on there site as looks a bit technical atm, but in reference to your point about the Payware Kitty Hawk 305 and 2065 is still a big leap I think we should start on the flight deck and work down that way we maybe able to leave the hanger alone for the most part and Warren can still have the possibility of an Animated model if someone picks it up. Btw, did you notice a frame rate hit in MCX when you looked at it It nearly caused my rig to keel over, no pun intended

Cheers

Hooky

Bjoern
August 16th, 2015, 15:45
Hammered the "Remove" button about 170 times and gave up. The awful thing is that MCX always needs a few seconds to catch up. :dizzy:

Exported as .x and tried to remove every entry for "mesh platform[number]" gave up after about 200 entries. :dizzy:

I'm angry and disappointed that this is basically an unsolvable issue. Stupid Sketchup crap.

fsafranek
August 16th, 2015, 16:00
Those textures BTW are:
A7_1_t
A7_2_t
F14_1_t
F14_2_t
Airwing_1_t
Airwing_2_t

and the spec, LM and hanger (hangar) versions...

Two screenshots attached.
First and second pictures are partially completed Air Wing for Connie (CVW-9- NG)
Last one is Connie with new textures substituted - but still Kitty Hawk Air Wing (CVW-11 - NH) aboard...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26355&stc=1
:banghead: Nice repaints but I'm a little concerned as I look at these images.

I just wanted to make it perfectly clear that all of the deck eye candy (aircraft, people, vehicles, tow bars, etc.) on the USS Kitty Hawk included in the Aerosoft F-14 package belong to Team SDB. Slightly modified by Mark Harper they are from our original 80s-90s Enterprise and the upcoming Vietnam era version. We allowed Mark to use them for his USS Kitty Hawk. This a commercial package that shall not be reverse engineered in any manner. Repaint them if you like for use on that ship but under no circumstances shall the "deck_statics.mdl" nor "hanger.mdl" be separated from the package and reused in any form anywhere else.

For folks not wanting the entire F-14 package, Team SDB has agreements in place with Mark to release the USS Kitty Hawk as a standalone package of three ships with appropriate texture (and tower number light modeling) changes for the USS Constellation and USS America. We're waiting on further development of the Enterprise to see if we will be able to include in a timely manner the option of F-4s rather than F-14's for optional earlier versions.
:encouragement:

Bjoern
August 16th, 2015, 16:12
Exporting as .x from MCX (resulting file size: 29 MB and 1.5 million lines!) and importing that into Blender made it not respond.

In case anyone wants to give this a try:
https://github.com/Littleneo/Directx_Blender/wiki

fsafranek
August 17th, 2015, 07:37
For using the CV-64 with CCP, add these lines at the end of the "PA.cfg"

[VEH_CV64]
path = VEH_CV64
VEH_CV64 = 57X
Pos1 = 7.50, 40.00, 17.65, +1.0
Pos2 = -15.50, 40.00, 17.65, -4.0
Pos3 = 20.00, -65.00, 17.65, -4.0

Spawns user's plane at the 3 working catapults. Only the "clean" version of the Carrier is supported
due to the way it is modelled.

What is CCP? Sounds interesting.

DaveB
August 17th, 2015, 07:45
Frank..

there are 2 lots of stuff going on in this thread.. the original stuff which is Warren's Kitty Hawk model (which comes with variations on deck loading) and running concurrently.. stuff about the Aerosoft/Mark Harper Kitty Hawk which again comes with variations of deck loading. AFAIK.. the deck aircraft that come with Warren's freeware model are not the ones off Marks model.
Deke.. navy81 set about doing repaints for the freeware models deck aircraft and it kinda ran into him thinking about doing repaints for Mark's model two. Deck/island repaints have already been done (as you can see by the out of place island lights) and it seemed like a good idea to have the correct aircraft paints too. I don't think there's any intention to physically remove the aircraft off Mark's model and put them onto Warren's.. there'd be no point. Why re-invent the wheel??
IF the aircraft on the freeware model ARE off Mark's model.. then that's a different ball game but I don't think they are.

What say you?

[EDIT]
For folks not wanting the entire F-14 package, Team SDB has agreements in place with Mark to release the USS Kitty Hawk as a standalone package of three ships with appropriate texture (and tower number light modeling) changes for the USS Constellation and USS America. We're waiting on further development of the Enterprise to see if we will be able to include in a timely manner the option of F-4s rather than F-14's for optional earlier versions.
Frank.. will there be any consideration for those who already have the F-14 (especially those of us who bought it to get Kitty Hawk). Much as I don't mind throwing money about.. I really don't want or need another Kitty Hawk?
ATB

Hooky722
August 18th, 2015, 00:14
Hammered the "Remove" button about 170 times and gave up. The awful thing is that MCX always needs a few seconds to catch up. :dizzy:

Exported as .x and tried to remove every entry for "mesh platform[number]" gave up after about 200 entries. :dizzy:

I'm angry and disappointed that this is basically an unsolvable issue. Stupid Sketchup crap.

Hopefully this will cheer you up I asked Over at the MCX forums if they would consider adding a select all/remove all platforms option to MCX just heard back from Arno and he's added a remove all platforms button which will be added to the development release as of Tomorrow let's see where this gets us.

DaveB
August 18th, 2015, 00:32
Talking of which.. I haven't had a new development release in longer than I can remember. It's setup to check too!

ATB

DaveWG
August 18th, 2015, 01:06
Had a dev release last night Dave.

DaveB
August 18th, 2015, 02:20
Cheers Dave:encouragement: I used to get one every time I opened the program (not that I use it all the time.. more a case of lots sometimes then not at all for ages) but they suddenly stopped. Lets see if I get one one...

No.. nada. My Update settings for check for update at startup and check for update unstable are both TRUE so WTH isn't it checking?

ATB

Bjoern
August 18th, 2015, 09:01
Changelog says the button is in, but I'm too dumb to find it at the moment.

http://scenerydesign.org/mantis/plugin.php?page=Source/list&id=1

Hooky722
August 18th, 2015, 09:11
Changelog says the button is in, but I'm too dumb to find it at the moment.

http://scenerydesign.org/mantis/plugin.php?page=Source/list&id=1

He did say to me 'from tomorrow' and that was at 8:30 GMT this morning so we may not see the revised version uploaded for another day or so but I can wait, TBH i'm just stoked the chap got back to me so quick I wasn't expecting a reply that soon, least of all to have what I asked for put in the same day!! fantastic!

Hooky722
August 19th, 2015, 12:52
IT works!!!!!!!!! Only tried it with Forrestall and Oriskney (and had to rebuild the deck polys by hand) but the frame rate issues are gone going to try Kitty Hawk and Midway now will report back just to check my findings but the Bulk platform removal tool really did the trick!

Second though I'd better not I've got work in the morning but I'll have a play tomorrow afternoon. Midways a bit of an issue if you leaving it up to Auto-platform I'll try it manually tomorrow

DaveB
August 19th, 2015, 12:59
Well done that man:encouragement:

ATB

Bjoern
August 19th, 2015, 15:43
IT works!!!!!!!!! Only tried it with Forrestall and Oriskney (and had to rebuild the deck polys by hand) but the frame rate issues are gone going to try Kitty Hawk and Midway now will report back just to check my findings but the Bulk platform removal tool really did the trick!

Second though I'd better not I've got work in the morning but I'll have a play tomorrow afternoon. Midways a bit of an issue if you leaving it up to Auto-platform I'll try it manually tomorrow

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/19928/You-da-man.jpg

Hooky722
August 20th, 2015, 09:56
Well, that's confirmed Its definitely worked! Midway is still giving a little bit of hit on Frames but I think thats more my rig that anything (It seems to jump between perfectly reasonable to slug GP from one day to the next but anyway!) so far I've identified what I believe to be a few minor Issues:-

1) You cant leave it up to Auto-Platform in the attachment tools to redraw the Platforms for you. It draws dozens more than is necessary and Links some of the more Vital ones with redundant platforms so you can't just delete the ones you don't need. (for example: removing some of the platforms from Midway's Island also lost the catapults and half the deck markings!)

2)You have to lay platforms yourself, Not an Issue necessarily but Very time consuming (I got home from work at 4:00pm, I've just finished Midway and I'm knackered. and I only did the flight deck!) Plus with the above method, even though I was getting 50 or so platforms as opposed to 3050 platforms, it still ran like sludge! although It may have been not compiling properly out of MCX I'll do more tests... but for right now I do it manually.

3)In order to cover the decks with as few Platforms as possible I've had to Sacrifice the potential for future usability of both the Lifts and Hanger decks on the models I've experimented on, Although this could be done with more careful 'platforming' I suppose

Aside from that its all gravy...

Here's a summary of the procedure i used:-

1)First make sure you have the lastest Development Release of MDLConverterX

2)Import model and head straight for the Attached Object Editor and click the new 'Remove All Platforms' Button (kindly put there by Arno for us over at FSDeveloperland!) This gets rid of all platforms but leaves all other attached objects in place (smoke, catapults, wires etc)

3)Start creating platforms (go to ADD - platforms) and start laying platforms. (You can copy and paste the co-ordinates for the deck height from one of the catapult Attach points) Depending on how defined you want your flight deck to be you can get an accurate outline of the FD using about 20 platforms (I think I got Midways down to 19 or so)

4)Then compile separately (Don't overwrite existing models I think it causes problems!) swap the original with the new one and that's it

There's probably an easier way but this how I've done it on the three I've tried so far.

Hooky722
August 20th, 2015, 10:04
Happy to Help guys, Nice to see another one of FSX's great mystery's solved. I've been wanting use the Oriskney BETA for ages now lol.

I think form now on with sketchup\3D mesh models we should recommend/adopt this procedure because I don't know what program was being used to make all these 0000's of platforms but the more i used it the more i don't think it was MCX. The maximum I could get it to Auto generate was 54, And there's no way in hell anybody did that many thousands manually, So its a side effect from some part of the conversion process I guess? Just a thought.

DaveB
August 20th, 2015, 15:41
It may be possible that MCX is falsely reporting platforms too. I know that DG recently converted a carrier to import into Max where he removed all the platforms and made one big one. On completion, he ran it back through MCX and it reported more than one there.. quite a lot more than one actually! Whatever.. he didn't get over 2000:biggrin-new:

ATB
DaveB

navy81
August 20th, 2015, 16:02
Frank..

there are 2 lots of stuff going on in this thread.. the original stuff which is Warren's Kitty Hawk model (which comes with variations on deck loading) and running concurrently.. stuff about the Aerosoft/Mark Harper Kitty Hawk which again comes with variations of deck loading. AFAIK.. the deck aircraft that come with Warren's freeware model are not the ones off Marks model.
Deke.. navy81 set about doing repaints for the freeware models deck aircraft and it kinda ran into him thinking about doing repaints for Mark's model two. Deck/island repaints have already been done (as you can see by the out of place island lights) and it seemed like a good idea to have the correct aircraft paints too. I don't think there's any intention to physically remove the aircraft off Mark's model and put them onto Warren's.. there'd be no point. Why re-invent the wheel??
IF the aircraft on the freeware model ARE off Mark's model.. then that's a different ball game but I don't think they are.

What say you?

[EDIT]
Frank.. will there be any consideration for those who already have the F-14 (especially those of us who bought it to get Kitty Hawk). Much as I don't mind throwing money about.. I really don't want or need another Kitty Hawk?
ATB

Dave,
Thanks for the "top cover" in reply to Frank - i have been on vacation and just returned last evening. Frank - Dave is correct in stating that i have not nor will not move Mark's aircraf to another deck - was just trying to repaint the existing air wing to go with the different carriers being created from the Mark's Kitty Hawk - an absolute treasure.

ATB and cheers to all.
Deke

TARPSBird
August 20th, 2015, 23:11
In the last couple pages this thread has gone to a tech level a bit over my head (easy to do) but let me throw this in...
Hooky722 mentioned tweaking the platform count on Oriskany and I assume he's referring to the beta uploaded by Gary (gp183601) last year. Gary also uploaded a 1970's Midway which has the same problem with frame rates dropping off to almost a standstill as you taxi out of the wires and move forward past the island and the "crotch" (where the angle deck and forward flight deck intersect). This deck would also be a good candidate for whatever MCX magic can be worked to resolve the FR drop.

expat
August 21st, 2015, 01:36
Yes, I think that is the master plan. We are very fortunate to have all these new post war carriers - Gary's Oriskany and Midway and Wombraider's Forrestal and Kitty Hawk class cv's. Superb freeware. While trapping and catting aren't too bad FPS-wise, you, me and others have found that the taxi to the forward cats are causing noticeable frame rate hiccups which put a damper on the fun. If these modifications result in models that have smooth frames during the whole carrier op cycle, there will be a lot of happy campers.

Hooky722
August 21st, 2015, 07:51
Well, Upon completion of the flight deck on Gary's Midway '75 last night I'm fairly certain now that I've cracked it! no frame rate issues. I would post the amended models up in the Library but I'd need to get Gary and Warren's permission before I can go uploading their stuff. Also because this was just in the experimental stage some of the deck platforms I've done are quite rough. I'd need time to refine them unless anybody else wants to try. I'm about to start work on the Kitty Hawk deck tonight.

Hooky722
August 21st, 2015, 07:59
In the last couple pages this thread has gone to a tech level a bit over my head (easy to do) but let me throw this in...
Hooky722 mentioned tweaking the platform count on Oriskany and I assume he's referring to the beta uploaded by Gary (gp183601) last year. Gary also uploaded a 1970's Midway which has the same problem with frame rates dropping off to almost a standstill as you taxi out of the wires and move forward past the island and the "crotch" (where the angle deck and forward flight deck intersect). This deck would also be a good candidate for whatever MCX magic can be worked to resolve the FR drop.

Yes that's pretty much it and you'll be happy to know the Midway model your referring to has now been 're-platformed' taking with it the FR issues but I need to speak to Gary Before I can do anything with it! I was only tweaking it to test the theory initially I'll need his permission if i'm to release it. Same for Oriskney and Warren for the Forrestal and Kitty Hawk.

TARPSBird
August 22nd, 2015, 04:13
Hooky, thanks for the update. Take the time to make whatever adjustments you need, I'm sure the originators of the carriers will give you the OK to upload your finished products. :encouragement:

Hooky722
August 24th, 2015, 15:36
Hooky, thanks for the update. Take the time to make whatever adjustments you need, I'm sure the originators of the carriers will give you the OK to upload your finished products. :encouragement:

Hi All,
Still no response from Warren or Gary at the moment I'm afraid guys but I shall keep working through the models and hopefully should have them all ready to go by the time these gents get back to me.

Hooky

Hooky722
August 24th, 2015, 15:39
Also what would make a good Plane guard for use with the 1969 Oriskney model? Or the '75 Midway for that matter Any thoughts?

Has anybody done Any Static park's for Collin Glendinning's Korean War Essex carriers? would quite fancy some static Banshee's or Skyraiders for my early 50's Ops.

Thanks,

Hooky

delta_lima
August 24th, 2015, 17:26
Also what would make a good Plane guard for use with the 1969 Oriskney model? Or the '75 Midway for that matter Any thoughts?

Has anybody done Any Static park's for Collin Glendinning's Korean War Essex carriers? would quite fancy some static Banshee's or Skyraiders for my early 50's Ops.

Thanks,

Hooky

I use the SDB CVN-65 Enterprise SH3 Sea King that was included. White paint scheme. Is already an AI "boat" - so just drop into your formations and go. It features in my SimWorks Studios F-4b screens posted here.

EDIT:

Here's s shot ... on the CVN-65 ..

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23493&d=1432826005

DL

TARPSBird
August 25th, 2015, 01:11
Aboard USS Oriskany in 1969 the plane guard helo would have been a UH-2C Seasprite from HC-1 Det 34. Aboard USS Midway in 1975 it would have been a SH-3G Seaking from HC-1 Det 2.

expat
August 25th, 2015, 01:43
It features in my SimWorks Studios F-4b screens posted here.

Show off!! :encouragement:

I have a motley collection of AI plane guards. The SDB SH-3 looks the business with prop splash and flashing strobes especially at dawn/dusk and as DL says is already an AI boat you can just spot in your AI Carriers cfg. I find the helo engine sound is neat when looking at the carrier from outside but hearing it approaching traps very unrealistic so I disabled it. I also have an S-58 Choctaw and HUP but both are pretty low poly/undetailed compared to the Sea King. What is missing is a good AI Seasprite, which as TARPSBird says is the correct guard for the Oriskany in '69.

delta_lima
August 25th, 2015, 07:54
Show off!! :encouragement:

Sorry - just from reading, I suppose it sounds that way. Was not meant that way at all. In fact, in light of the truly talented fellow testers that team, I feel like I should be taking the "short bus" to the flight line ... :biggrin-new:

Yes, I'd be enthralled with an AI Seasprite. But it feels like just yesterday that all we had for FSX post war carriers was the Nimitz and the SH-60 for plane guard... so for me, the compromise is more than acceptable.

Ex, I recall the sound discussion a while back - was there no way to lower/attenuate the sound? I still run it, and I love on it deck, but could do with it being quieter when from afar.

cheers,

dl

expat
August 25th, 2015, 08:20
Yeah, its kind of a trade off. It depends if you are an "inside only" flyer like many are here. I am both in and out and hyper actively am always changing view from VC to outside/spot view and back again, too much of which can result in a OOM or lock up, lol.

navy81
August 25th, 2015, 11:23
Great discussion! I too long for an AI Sea Sprite to go aboard Oriskany - especially with Demons, whales, scooters, and crusaders.

Good news is i have finally solved the issue with modifying the Air Wing textures for Connie, America, and JFK spawns out of the fantastic Aerosoft Kitty Hawk. Still painting which will take some time - and need to ensure i have DSB and Aerosoft permission to use them on their ship "sisters" - not any others.

ATB, Deke

DaveB
August 25th, 2015, 11:57
Nice one Deke:jump:

I don't think there'll be any restriction on repaints because they're useless without the model. Frank didn't get back on the subject so I wonder if he realised some people use MCX for viewing model paints in much the same way as they'd use FSRepainter;)

ATB

TARPSBird
August 25th, 2015, 16:32
I always thought the UH-2 was a good all-purpose helo, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention in FS. J.R. Lucariny has a SH-2 LAMPS version for FS9 but that's about all I've seen as freeware. And anyway the LAMPS birds deployed aboard destroyers and frigates, not CV's. SH-3 in HC-1 paint would be a good sub for a plane guard helo on Oriskany​, only a slight difference in time frame.

navy81
August 26th, 2015, 15:14
Thought i would give everyone an update:
Completed Connie Air Wing (CVW-9) - using the 1978-79 timeframe:
VF-211 Checkmates F-14A
VF-24 Renegades F-14A
VA-146 Blue Diamonds A-7E
VA-147 Argonauts A-7E
VA-165 Boomers A-6E
VS-37 Sawbucks S-3A
VAW-126 E-2C
HS-6 Indians SH-3H

And America AirWing (CVW-1) - using the 1982-83 timeframe:
VF-33 Starfighers F-14A
VF-102 Diamondbacks F-14A (STILL IN WORK)
VA-46 Clansmen A-7E
VA-72 Blue Hawks A-7E
VA-34 Blue Blasters A-6E
VS-32 Maulers S-3A
VAW-123 Screwtops E-2C
HS-11 Dragonslayers SH-3H

A few screen shots to keep you interested:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27769&stc=1
VF-33 and VA-72 aboard America
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27770&stc=1
VA-46 and VA-34 aboard America
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27771&stc=1
VA-146 and VF-211 aboard Connie

Cheers,
Deke

navy81
August 26th, 2015, 15:18
One more for the road:
Joe and Dave have very nicely modified the textures to not only add Connie and America to our enjoyment, but John F Kennedy (JFK) as well. Even though her island was somewhat different (smoke/gas stack canted to starboard), she still looks good to me (i made two deployments on her).

Turnover with "Big John"
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27772&stc=1

ATB,
Deke

Butcherbird17
August 26th, 2015, 16:35
Looking good Deke. Big John looks the part from a distance, hopefully Team SDB will also do JFK if it's only a little rework of the island.
Looking forward to the new airwings.

Joe

navy81
September 2nd, 2015, 12:14
Hi All,
Still no response from Warren or Gary at the moment I'm afraid guys but I shall keep working through the models and hopefully should have them all ready to go by the time these gents get back to me.

Hooky

Hooky, any luck with Gary or Warren? I can pm them if you like.
Completed JFK's air wing (CAG-3) - now working on the instructions for the folders to get the air wings to show up.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28365&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28366&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28369&stc=1

DaveB
September 2nd, 2015, 13:10
V e r y nice Deke:encouragement:

ATB

fsafranek
September 3rd, 2015, 15:33
I don't think there'll be any restriction on repaints because they're useless without the model. Frank didn't get back on the subject so I wonder if he realised some people use MCX for viewing model paints in much the same way as they'd use FSRepainter

ATB
DaveB
Sorry, real world has been a distraction lately. And yea, I use MCX the same way. Much quicker than relaunching the sim over and over. When I first typed I had forgotten that Mark made the deck candy as separate MDLs. I thought someone had chipped away at the carrier to get the deck candy for use elsewhere. Took my chill pill so all is good now. :running:

I saw some discussion on the SeaSprite. Alphasim, er Virtavia, made a nice one. We're also going to include the type on one of the Vietnam era Enterprise's as parked/folded on deck and as flying plane guard. Basic overall blue so not very interesting but will make a nice change from the SeaKing for one of the versions.

Hooky722
September 4th, 2015, 04:52
[QUOTE=navy81;977977]Hooky, any luck with Gary or Warren? I can pm them if you like.
Completed JFK's air wing (CAG-3) - now working on the instructions for the folders to get the air wings to show up. [QUOTE]

No joy as yet the Internet has been flakey recently it's possible the messages didn't send I'll try again Later I've got as far as all the Forestall class haven't got as far as kitty hawk class yet I'm busy trying to get the hang of deck Park modelling at the moment but as soon as I hear back I'll let you know. If you could send them a Pm and let them know what's going on that would be good I can't guarantee that I'll have Internet access when I get home

Thanks

Hooky

xpelekis
September 4th, 2015, 05:18
A bit lost in the lines... So, is there a Download link for the improved FPS versions of Kitty Hawk's (there was but removed)?
The only working link seams to be in first page of this thread.
Or is it going to be payware ?...

Hooky722
September 4th, 2015, 10:05
A bit lost in the lines... So, is there a Download link for the improved FPS versions of Kitty Hawk's (there was but removed)?
The only working link seams to be in first page of this thread.
Or is it going to be payware ?...

The updated models we're talking about are for the Freeware Forestall\ Kitty Hawk models available here on SOH and these updates have NOT been uploaded yet. I can't this before I have the permission of the original authors. The Payware model that has been mentioned in this thread is a completely different model (available with the Aerosoft F-14 I believe) This has nothing to do with the updates in question.

Hooky

expat
September 4th, 2015, 12:21
The updated models we're talking about are for the Freeware Forestall\ Kitty Hawk models available here on SOH and these updates have NOT been uploaded yet.

Copy that Hooky - stay with it mate!

expat
September 16th, 2015, 08:01
Well, Upon completion of the flight deck on Gary's Midway '75 last night I'm fairly certain now that I've cracked it! no frame rate issues.

Hooky, any news on fixing the frame rate issues with these various freeware carriers?

Hooky722
September 16th, 2015, 10:38
Still no contact.....wait out...... I guess? lol

Hooky

expat
September 16th, 2015, 11:07
Do you need the original code from them or just IP consent?

DaveB
September 16th, 2015, 11:53
I think it's a matter of consent mate. Warren was keen to have someone take it on so I don't think there'll be a problem. Can't see Gary minding either though I'd be keen to wait formal approval from both too;)

ATB

expat
September 16th, 2015, 12:05
OK, as this is freeware and if due credit for authorship is given clearly, can that really be a big deal? Haven't read the EULA etc so may not be with the program . .

fsafranek
September 16th, 2015, 12:38
OK, as this is freeware and if due credit for authorship is given clearly, can that really be a big deal? Haven't read the EULA etc so may not be with the program . .
It's always best to actually get written permission than to simply imply that you feel you have it by just giving credit. That said, if you can't get it then you don't have it.

expat
September 16th, 2015, 12:42
Well said.

Hooky722
September 16th, 2015, 14:13
I think it's a matter of consent mate. Warren was keen to have someone take it on so I don't think there'll be a problem. Can't see Gary minding either though I'd be keen to wait formal approval from both too;)

ATB

Dave's correct it's permission I'm waiting on. look guys I hear you I do I would love to post the files up now but we've got to play it by the book the last thing we want is for either author to pop up and take exception to what I've done and then the files get taken down (Not that Rami would even clear them without
Concent) nobody gets them and I get banished from the SOH for uploading without consent.
Btw whilst we are on the subject I haven't been able to get a reply from Mark AKA roger_wilco for the corsair deck deck park yet either anyone have any details for him

Cheers

Hooky

DaveB
September 16th, 2015, 15:04
Hooky..

This is from the Static Corsair thread posted by Mark..

There are all kinds of static corsairs in the Solomon 1943 package, see links below! Feel free to use them, but please assign new GUIDs to the models when you extract them out of the bgls and add them to another.

ATB

Hooky722
September 17th, 2015, 07:38
Thanks Dave I missed that too busy looking at the hoards of models in the screenies pondering which one to choose :jump: I'll get that posted tonight most likely

gp183601
September 17th, 2015, 12:53
Hi Hooky,

Sorry for not getting back to you. Lots of work stuff for the past few months has meant very little time to visit this site. I've been catching up with my PMs and some of the threads I've missed.

I've no problem with you uploading your updates to Midway and Oriskany. I built them for the community on this site as people were asking for something to fill the gap. If they need a mod to make them compatible with some peops PCs then it's fine with me.

My only request is that you only upload here at the outhouse. I wouldn't want them uploaded anywhere else.

Also, a couple of comments to some of the theories on the platform issues outlined in this thread:

The build of Midway and Oriskany was not terribly convoluted (which some have commented may have lead to frame rate issues). It was sketchup to MCX as a .dae file, then built as an mdl. No blender involvement in between

The platforms: I added them pretty much the way you did. When I look at midway on my version of MCX I only have 92 platforms not 3000 +. Now, I would caveat that I use an older version of MCX (for stability reasons) so maybe there is something funny with platforms when you take an mdl built in an older version of MCX and open in a newer version. I doubt it though and I'm just speculating....maybe it's something I've screwed up in the model I zipped up and uploaded. Either way you have a fix for it, and it's something I need to look into should I do the same for my next model.

Anyway, cheers for fixing the issue.
Gary

expat
September 17th, 2015, 13:20
Great to hear from you Gary + many thanks again for your Oriskany and Midway which continue to be source of endless enjoyment!

Hooky722
September 17th, 2015, 14:13
Thanks Gary I understand about the work thing I'm in the same boat but I'll double check everything before posting it will only be posted to SOH as requested I've already stated in the readme not to upload anywhere else. I need to smarten up the platforms on oriskney I only did it as a trial run and they were quite rough so it should be up by the weekend. After further experiments on other Sketchup models I think the rule of thumb should be either fit by material or manually fit platforms. Preferably the latter.

Hooky722
September 18th, 2015, 07:53
Midways Up

I'm working on Oriskney now

DaveB
September 18th, 2015, 11:37
Cheers Hooky:encouragement:

ATB

xpelekis
September 18th, 2015, 11:52
Many thanks !

Hooky722
September 18th, 2015, 14:59
Does it work?

expat
September 19th, 2015, 00:56
Does it work?

Oh, I think so!! Great work Hooky!!

http://s17.postimg.org/a7x9qlb67/cv45.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/4wid5vp3f/full/)
image hosting over 5mb (http://postimage.org/)

expat
September 19th, 2015, 01:15
http://s4.postimg.org/qh9bs96il/cv45.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/udmno8ri1/full/)

expat
September 19th, 2015, 04:06
Oriskany has smooth 30 fps from stern to bow - through the jet blast screen area.

Midway ditto - except that the deck crowd are hovering 6 feet up in the air - and stayed stationary when I set the boat in forward motion.

http://s4.postimg.org/5uk7b3inx/cv41.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ectnffp6h/full/)

expat
September 19th, 2015, 04:10
One other thing - I get a nasty building crash about amidships taxiing from the trap zone forward to the cat launch area on Collin's/Lazuras's (FSX converted) Essex models (Boxer, Valley Forge and Leyte). Can anything be done about that?

expat
September 19th, 2015, 04:54
http://s10.postimg.org/pw9rl3hpl/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/6ef455krp/full/)

Hooky722
September 19th, 2015, 08:27
One other thing - I get a nasty building crash about amidships taxiing from the trap zone forward to the cat launch area on Collin's/Lazuras's (FSX converted) Essex models (Boxer, Valley Forge and Leyte). Can anything be done about that?

If memory serves this issue came up when Lazarus first converted the carriers to FSX I think it had something to do with the crash barrier which was selectable in cfs2 but permanently 'up' when first ported over to FSX there was some issue about getting rid of it as it would require the model to be edited in order to rectify it I can't remember what happened with this but I think it was just made invisible as an interim measure I'll see if I can look into it

Hooky722
September 19th, 2015, 08:31
Oriskany has smooth 30 fps from stern to bow - through the jet blast screen area.

Midway ditto - except that the deck crowd are hovering 6 feet up in the air - and stayed stationary when I set the boat in forward motion.

http://s4.postimg.org/5uk7b3inx/cv41.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ectnffp6h/full/)

Check the static CG height entry in the sim files for both midway and the deckpark they should both be at '
'0'

Butcherbird17
September 19th, 2015, 09:17
Playing with the statics, put them on board the Mustang Tales USS Shangri-La. This is just the recovery statics, still need to do the
launch statics. Getting them to the right height is adjusted in the sim cfg (static CG height). I did notice that the tail sits to high.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/Butcherbird17/Shangri-La_zpseamqfgs4.jpg~original (http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Butcherbird17/media/Shangri-La_zpseamqfgs4.jpg.html)

Joe

WombRaider78
September 19th, 2015, 10:14
Sorry for the absence! I have been working a lot, and then my computer took a dump on me. I almost have everything back up.

So could it be the platforms causing the issue? Would re-exporting from SU and making one solid platform manually? As of now, I have it Auto-platformed using MCX.

Hooky722
September 19th, 2015, 10:52
Sorry for the absence! I have been working a lot, and then my computer took a dump on me. I almost have everything back up.

So could it be the platforms causing the issue? Would re-exporting from SU and making one solid platform manually? As of now, I have it Auto-platformed using MCX.

Hey Warren glad to see your back mate yes we've isolated an issue with Autoplatforming in mcx for some reason it
Generates loads 0000's when I looked at it so placing them manually is by far the best option I have already been through the Forestall class on my rig and done so but haven't gotten as far as kitty hawk class yet. I would be happy to share with you what I've done but I'm not home atm so it will have to be later on

Hooky

DaveB
September 19th, 2015, 11:05
It can certainly put platforms where you neither want nor need them. I let it auto-platform Mispillion a couple of weeks ago and ironically.. the only place it didn't put one was where I wanted one.. on the landing platform!!:banghead: Tried again with a converted CFS2 Knox class and it did exactly the same. For sure.. adding platforms manually would seem a lot more cost effective;)

ATB

DaveB
September 19th, 2015, 11:44
Hooky..

Just noticed Oriskany was up too. Tried this and it's fine matey:encouragement:
ATB

navy81
September 21st, 2015, 13:55

Frame rates are good! However, I confirm this strange occurrence that Expat found. Aircraft stay at the origination point. All is well if carrier is not moving. Very strange in that did not occur with the original mdl file - the objects moved together. Any ideas on how to remedy that?

Deke

Hooky722
September 21st, 2015, 15:34
Deke I think its got something to do with the Static CG height entry in the ships sim.cfg file see below the default entry is 5.0 the correct entry on the right is 0.0 see image below.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29303&stc=1

Hope this helps everyone.

Cheers,

Hooky

TARPSBird
September 22nd, 2015, 00:27
This is what I'm seeing when I select the full-deck version of Midway in AICarriers. The aircraft keep pace with the ship but they are all several hundred ft aft of where they should be positioned on the flight deck.

Cees Donker
September 22nd, 2015, 00:50
Do these carriers have a frequency by which these can be located?

:wavey:

Cees

expat
September 22nd, 2015, 01:05
I think I have sorted out the height issue by making all the sim.cfg's static cg height = 0, but like Tarpsbird I am having the deckcrowd (including F4U's on the Essex boats) left behind floating in the air and trailing the carrier once it is set to move forward in AICarriers2. It's behaviour is almost like it not having as much physics mass as the ship so it slides off as the ship accelerates. Sometimes get this with the flyable model on the deck appearing to slip backwards (actually staying stationary) after pressing "1" to start the ship moving forward, which you can quickly correct by pressing slew or brakes to get the wheels to "stick" to the deck so plane and ship are now moving together.

TARPSBird
September 22nd, 2015, 02:34
Well all right then! Changing CG height to zero in the sim.cfg file resolved the displaced aircraft problem, they stay parked now. Thank you Hooky! :encouragement:

TARPSBird
September 22nd, 2015, 03:11
Do these carriers have a frequency by which these can be located?

Cees

Sylvain Parouty's RFN TACAN Gauge has a XML file that allows you to add carriers with their own TACAN channels. I have not done it but it doesn't look difficult.

expat
September 22nd, 2015, 03:55
Wonderful add on from Sylvain - give it a go.

Hooky722
September 22nd, 2015, 04:02
I think I have sorted out the height issue by making all the sim.cfg's static cg height = 0, but like Tarpsbird I am having the deckcrowd (including F4U's on the Essex boats) left behind floating in the air and trailing the carrier once it is set to move forward in AICarriers2. It's behaviour is almost like it not having as much physics mass as the ship so it slides off as the ship accelerates. Sometimes get this with the flyable model on the deck appearing to slip backwards (actually staying stationary) after pressing "1" to start the ship moving forward, which you can quickly correct by pressing slew or brakes to get the wheels to "stick" to the deck so plane and ship are now moving together.

I don't know quite why this is still happening with Midway if you have the static CG height right because both the deckpark and carrier work of the same sim file however you might want to check the entries in the corsair deckpark sim files and see if they match the carrier (Not just height but the speed and acceleration figures aswell)

I'll let you know if I can figure it out

strykerpsg
September 22nd, 2015, 05:27
Deke I think its got something to do with the Static CG height entry in the ships sim.cfg file see below the default entry is 5.0 the correct entry on the right is 0.0 see image below.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29303&stc=1

Hope this helps everyone.

Cheers,

Hooky

Hooky, my question is a bit off topic, but similar in that I have AI flights arriving at McChord Field (KTCM) that while starting and departing from McChord, they are on the ground, but when they land, they are about 6 feet or so off the ground as they taxi off the runway to a parking spot. Apologies for hijacking a little bit, but I am ecstatic at getting FSX to function fantastic, look fantastic, but my AI is floating to their parking area's. Not a major show stopper, more of an immersion killer though.

Thoughts?

expat
September 22nd, 2015, 05:45
I'll let you know if I can figure it out

Hooky, thanks, but I will mess around with it a bit more. I do now have all the static cg height's =0. It may be 'cause I am using the same saved flight over and over testing, etc.

Now here is another idea: I noticed landing on the freeware (Wombat) Kitty Hawk and Connie the same fps drop around the jet blast area. Any chance you could work your magic on this model? It really has made a big difference on the Oriskany and Midway - thanks again!

Cees Donker
September 22nd, 2015, 06:26
Sylvain Parouty's RFN TACAN Gauge has a XML file that allows you to add carriers with their own TACAN channels. I have not done it but it doesn't look difficult.

Thank you!

Cees

xpelekis
September 29th, 2015, 20:24
Is there going to be a Fix for "Constellation" also ?

expat
September 29th, 2015, 22:43
Is there going to be a Fix for "Constellation" also ?

Yes, while Hooky's fix worked well for me on the other carriers, I now notice I have the same fps hiccups with the (freeware) Kitty Hawk class models, so the same treatment on these would be welcome.

TARPSBird
September 29th, 2015, 23:04
I believe Hooky has already fixed Kitty Hawk and Connie and he is waiting to hear back from Warren (WombRaider78) for permission to upload the fix here. Warren dropped off this thread a few weeks ago, we'll see if Hooky has an update.

expat
October 13th, 2015, 07:49
Any news on this? Would be great solve the fps issue for Warren's Super Carrier fleet.

Interestingly, on a related issue, I have been experimenting with AI boat traffic and carrier tracks. Added the deck aircraft for Gary's Midway in the Route and Boat folders, covering the exact track and times. The planes have showed up - which is cool - so you now can fly to a pre-programmed carrier route - I have 3 and growing on Yankee Station - and instead of finding an empty deck boat, you can trap on one with deck furniture. In my first test, unfortunately the aircraft pack was trailing behind the carrier. The static deck height in the sim.cfg = 0 so not sure what is the cause/solution.

expat
October 13th, 2015, 08:05
Working on last texture set - for Gary's Midway with the F-4's, A-6's and A-7's aboard.
CAG-5 (CVW-5) with VF-161 representing the Phantoms, and VA-93 the SLUF. Of course, VA-115 for the Intruder.

I was thinking of making alternate air wing paints that members can drag and drop should they want some difference - noting YoYo's Pukin' Dog phantom overflying Connie - as all know Air Wing - to - Carrier assignments change from time to time - and Connie did have CVW-14 aboard during the Vietnam war for a period. Anyhow, that may be a possibility for the future if there is a desire.

For now, here is CVW-5/Midway WIP:

Ref: post #95 - did these air wing textures for the Midway ever get posted? Could not find them here in the Library. Thanks!

WombRaider78
October 22nd, 2015, 13:42
Greetings simmers!

While life has been hacking away at my time on this project, I have not forgotten it.

I have adjusted the Kitty Hawk's and the Forrestal's platforms from auto to manually placing them to see how it effects the FPS.

So far so good. I am able to sit anywhere on deck and with any aircraft and peg a 30.0 locked FPS.

Now I need to repeat the process 4 more times. I will be releasing them as soon as I can. I have also done some other sprucing up to the models.

Thanks
Warren

DaveB
October 22nd, 2015, 14:28
Cheers Warren:encouragement:

ATB

TARPSBird
October 22nd, 2015, 15:21
Warren, thank you for your work. :encouragement:

WombRaider78
October 22nd, 2015, 16:08
Does anyone use the hangar bay? Should I add a platform for there??

EDIT: As with Hooky's fix the platforms may not be 100 percent accurate. You might be able to hover over the water in some areas of the deck. Personally, I think it is a good trade-off for the gain in FPS.

EDIT2: Another question that I have is how about a renumber of the Kitty Hawk to include the JFK and America? I did not include them because the island structures are significantly different in the stack area. It would require some remodeling for sure. Would everyone be happy if I just renumbered the Kitty Hawk with 66 and 67? It would be a while until I could revamp the island.

Cees Donker
October 22nd, 2015, 22:36
And a big thank you for your work from me too, Warren! I'm enjoying this very much! I didn't even know the hangar bay is useable? Learning something every day!

:dizzy:

Cees

TARPSBird
October 23rd, 2015, 01:24
Hi Warren,
Just speaking for myself here... I never venture into any carrier's hangar bay since it involves bringing the ship to a stop and slewing to get down there, so I don't care about a hard hangar deck. Also, I think providing additional ship #'s for America and John F. Kennedy would make everybody happy until you get the time (or the urge) to modify the islands for each ship.

DaveB
October 23rd, 2015, 01:53
Hi Warren:wavey:

I'm with TARPSBird. Don't think I've ever been down the hangar of any carrier!! Didn't realise you could get 'downstairs' on these carriers. Thought they were sans animation.

ATB

Cees Donker
October 23rd, 2015, 02:12
I just tried it on the Nimitz. The starboard aft elevator works and you can get to the hangar. Great modelling! Great animations! Off to try the hangar of the Kitty!

:biggrin-new:

Cees

TARPSBird
October 23rd, 2015, 02:17
If I could (for example) taxi a A-4 Skyhawk onto a centerline elevator like on the Oriskany, shut down the engine and ride the elevator down to the hangar deck and hear the klaxon warning as the elevator lowers, that would be fun. If any of the carriers have that capability, I haven't figured out how to do it yet. :biggrin-new: I'm just happy to trap on the back end and cat off the front end.

Edit: Cees, how did you use the elevator on Nimitz?

Cees Donker
October 23rd, 2015, 02:47
Tarps,

Just park near the elevator. The railing will come down and you can get on the elevator. It will go down after a little while. I don't know if there's a keyboard command.

Cees

TARPSBird
October 23rd, 2015, 03:05
Thanks Cees, I'll give it a try later today.

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 04:53
Thanks for the replies! I did some research on the differences between the CV-63 and the CV-66/CV-67. There is a lot that is different! I think I might leave the renumbering out as it will not look anything close to accurate.

Another thing that I did notice were some flashing textures on the cockpit glass of the F-4 and A-6. Does anyone else get this? Should I even waste time fixing it?

It would require me to redo the static aircraft setups in GSU and a re-export of the file. Which would further push back a new release.

Warren

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 08:12
Here is the latest builds on the Kitty and Connie. I have gotten a pretty good frame rate across the board with this version. The blast shields are now down as well. I added multi-lingual Read Me files in French, Spanish, and Italian.

I had mentioned about flashing textures on the deck aircraft. MIND YOU that I will have to re-export from Sketchup to fix this issue. Should not be a problem with the repaints as I am not renaming the texture files. If everyone does not mind/notice the flashing textures, I will just leave it be.

Hooky722, I gave you props for your FPS idea.

Delete the VEH_63 and VEH_64 boat folders, this is a brand new, complete file.

Here is a link for a file hosting site I googled.

http://www.filedropper.com/kittyhawkclassv175

Thanks for everyone's support
Warren

stovall
October 23rd, 2015, 09:29
I tried to download Warren, but says file does not exist. Ideas?

Cees Donker
October 23rd, 2015, 09:49
I downloaded it just now. Of to try it!

:encouragement:

Cees

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 10:07

Click on the link.
In the middle of the screen there will be a Download This File tab in gray.
When you hit that, it should come up with a code to enter.

The download link at the top is not my file and is probably adware.

Cees Donker
October 23rd, 2015, 10:19
Tested it, great improvement on the frs! Thanks Warren!

:encouragement::very_drunk:

Cees

navy81
October 23rd, 2015, 10:34

Tom,
Try copying and pasting the link either into firefox or google chrome - I IE9, and i get the "oops! this link appears to be broken" notice. Not so with Chrome.
Deke

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 10:42
Tested it, great improvement on the frs! Thanks Warren!

:encouragement::very_drunk:

Cees

Awesome! Look forward to more feedback!

Victory103
October 23rd, 2015, 13:33
I also agree about saving a few FPS with NOT detailing the hangar. That said, I was pretty shocked when I 1st downloaded the "other" freeware carriers that had spaces modeled, brought back a ton of memories for me roaming through knee knockers.

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 13:37
I added the hangars in anyway. They did not change the FPS. It now has less than 10 platform attachments. Which is a WHOLE WHOLE lot less than 2500+

For those that wanted an updated Forrestal class, I am just about done updating it and will be releasing soon. I reduced the platforms, removed the blast shield, and I corrected some errors and reduced the number of textures by a few. I am having ZERO frame errors with it either.

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 14:19
Here is a pic that I just took on the deck of the Constellation. I have my CFG set to take an average of frames. This is after sitting on the deck for a minute.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30536&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30537&stc=1

Navy Chief
October 23rd, 2015, 14:20
I also agree about saving a few FPS with NOT detailing the hangar. That said, I was pretty shocked when I 1st downloaded the "other" freeware carriers that had spaces modeled, brought back a ton of memories for me roaming through knee knockers.

Have to admit I have not downloaded this yet, but plan to. Just doing carrier ops in FSX brings back memories for me, but it truly is my favorite FSX activity.

It's interesting (to me at least) how much I choose NOT to reminisce about life aboard a carrier. The sailors nowadays have it a LOT better than I did! We didn t have Internet or satellite phones to contact home. The most we could hope for was a 3 minute ham radio call; having to say "over!" at the end of every sentence!

Showers? I remember Master At Arms standing outside the showers, timing how long we took a shower, and if it was longer than 3 minutes, you risked being written up. The water supply was critical because of steam generation for the catapults. Everything else was secondary.

Just my memories is all! NC

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 14:57
I have uploaded both the Kitty Hawk class and the Forrestal class to SoH's download server.

I will also be releasing to Simviation.

Hooky722
October 23rd, 2015, 15:58
hey folks sorry i havent been all over this like i wanted to be. I've been working flat out recently sorry about that Warren I didnt flag the post about the permissions until recently i must have skimmed over it apologies for that looks like you've pretty much nailed it already but if you need them i still have my amended files at your disposal if required. fantasic work

Hooky

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 16:10
hey folks sorry i havent been all over this like i wanted to be. I've been working flat out recently sorry about that Warren I didnt flag the post about the permissions until recently i must have skimmed over it apologies for that looks like you've pretty much nailed it already but if you need them i still have my amended files at your disposal if required. fantasic work

Hooky

Let me know what you think about the new version. I also amended the Forrestal Class. But I even went further and did some correcting on all of the models. It is a bit more than just platforms.

Working on 6 boats at once is a pain in the ass! Especially when you have to re-export from GSU to MCX, then re-add the attachments and other stuff. Luckily I have all of the positions saved in text files so it is just a matter of copy/paste the info.

Thanks a lot for your idea! I gave you credit in BOTH uploads.
Warren

lazarus
October 23rd, 2015, 21:17
Nicely done. I put the platforms on Usio's Eagle manually-not an ugly chore at all- which had been rusting quietly in her folder because of FPS death from the zillion+ platforms. While not tight to the deck outline, She's down to four platforms and runs like butter on a hot lobster(uploaded shortly). Check your model after platform export, I noticed MDLX is doubling the platforms in the initial export, they can be zipped out, and it cuts the platform count in half.

Cees Donker
October 23rd, 2015, 22:23
Let me know what you think about the new version. I also amended the Forrestal Class. But I even went further and did some correcting on all of the models. It is a bit more than just platforms.

Working on 6 boats at once is a pain in the ass! Especially when you have to re-export from GSU to MCX, then re-add the attachments and other stuff. Luckily I have all of the positions saved in text files so it is just a matter of copy/paste the info.

Thanks a lot for your idea! I gave you credit in BOTH uploads.
Warren

I tested the Forrestal Class Carriers, and I can surely say this is a vast improvement! Landings, take offs and taxiing are very smooth. I noticed somy jumpy behaviour of the plane on the deck of the Ranger? That's one thing that stood out while testing.

Great work!

:applause::applause::applause:

Cees

Just tested the Kitty Hawk Class too. Smooth sailing.........

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 23:04
I tested the Forrestal Class Carriers, and I can surely say this is a vast improvement! Landings, take offs and taxiing are very smooth. I noticed somy jumpy behaviour of the plane on the deck of the Ranger? That's one thing that stood out while testing.

Great work!

Cees

Just tested the Kitty Hawk Class too. Smooth sailing.........

Are your frames set to unlimited? I only noticed things like that when I had my frames set to unlimited.

Cees Donker
October 23rd, 2015, 23:24
Nope. It's set to 24.

Cees

WombRaider78
October 23rd, 2015, 23:46
Nope. It's set to 24.

Cees

That is odd. I will look into it.

Cees Donker
October 24th, 2015, 00:04
Taxiing to the back of the ship from the front catapult crashes the plane......

Cees

expat
October 24th, 2015, 00:41
I have uploaded both the Kitty Hawk class and the Forrestal class to SoH's download server.

What a great burst of good news! Warren, your work and updates have made a lot of people here very happy, myself included. Thanks for your generosity.

Cees Donker
October 24th, 2015, 01:04
What a great burst of good news! Warren, your work and updates have made a lot of people here very happy, myself included. Thanks for your generosity.

Hear, hear!

Cees

xpelekis
October 24th, 2015, 03:00
Thank you very much for this.

TARPSBird
October 24th, 2015, 03:21
Warren, thank you very much for your updates. :encouragement:

Cees Donker
October 24th, 2015, 05:22
Ad of course Deke for the great new textures of the deck planes!

Cees

WombRaider78
October 24th, 2015, 08:20
Taxiing to the back of the ship from the front catapult crashes the plane......

Cees

Which boat? I just did a few laps on the Forrestal and I did not crash...?

Cees Donker
October 24th, 2015, 08:34
The Ranger.....

Cees

WombRaider78
October 24th, 2015, 12:15
The Ranger.....

Cees

Have you tried other boats and not had the issue?

Edit:I just did a few laps on the Ranger. I cannot replicate this issue. I have my crash tolerance set to about 65-70%. What is your crash tolerance set to?