PDA

View Full Version : Old Airmen

Old Airman
June 29th, 2015, 08:29
First, thank you for the birthday wishes!

I'm a bit curious as to the ages of some of the Flight Simmers. At just 79 surely I'm not the oldest in the game?

Like Trap and Skeet Shooting a person can go on forever, having fun, learning and associating with good people in the Flight Simulation game.

Here's to many more years of flying and learning and admiring the talent of the programmers!:encouragement:

Old Airman

SSI01
June 29th, 2015, 08:37
Happy birthday indeed, sir!

This punk turns 62 in 2 days.

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2015, 09:25
Not sure, but I think Helldiver may be the most senior SOH member? I will be 62 soon, as well....August 7. NC

falcon409
June 29th, 2015, 09:42
Not sure, but I think Helldiver may be the most senior SOH member? I will be 62 soon, as well....August 7. NC
I'm thinking that's correct Chief (88?). . .anyway 68 here.

Dev One
June 29th, 2015, 10:23
There's hope for me yet then at a measly 77...
Keith

txnetcop
June 29th, 2015, 10:28
65 here...it's just a number!
Ted

rdaniell
June 29th, 2015, 10:40
I'll be a young 70 this September.:wiggle: I took my first flight in the backseat of a Piper J3 when I was 8. I soloed a Cessna 150 in 1966 while stationed at Charleston Air Force Base, Charleston, S.C. I spent four years in the Air Force as a C-130 loadmaster. I obtained my private pilot's license in 1977.

RD

TARPSBird
June 29th, 2015, 11:20
Turned 67 last April.

Navy Chief
June 29th, 2015, 12:04
Am starting to feel like a whippersnapper! NC:very_drunk:

ejoiner
June 29th, 2015, 13:03

I'll be a youthful 54 in September.:jump:

Blackbird686
June 29th, 2015, 13:13
Eric, you're just a baby..lol! I turned 62 last January. I've been with the SOH since the days of Netwings and CFS2 online. Anyway, Happy Birthday, Old Airman.

BB686:US-flag:

Duckie
June 29th, 2015, 13:27
Happy Birthday Old Airman! #67 coming up in October.:encouragement:

Rudyjo
June 29th, 2015, 13:38
Will be 65 in December. In many ways I still feel like I'm 30.

mikewmac
June 29th, 2015, 13:51
I turned 73 in April and had my first flight in an AT-6 Texan around 1949, which ignited a passion for military aircraft that continues to this day.

While in the VT ANG from 1966 to 1972 I had several flights in a T-33 "T-Bird", a TF-102 "Deuce" and a C-47 "Gooney Bird".

Later I got my PPL and over the years flew several different GA aircraft all around New England and upstate New York.

Bill Kestell
June 29th, 2015, 14:36
Seven Zero here!:pop4:

AussieMan
June 29th, 2015, 14:42
#69 for me in October. First flight was in a Klemm Swallow as a 4 year old sitting on my father's knee. Something that wouldn't happen today.

fsafranek
June 29th, 2015, 14:47
Only a couple years on Eric. Will be 57 in January next.
:ernaehrung004:

dexthom
June 29th, 2015, 14:58
82 in October

oldmsgt
June 29th, 2015, 17:10
The Old MSgt is 62

napamule
June 29th, 2015, 17:20
I am still a 'Spring Chicken' (according to my better half). I 'turned' 75 last May. Happy BD Old Airman. You are never too old to enjoy the Sims. that's for sure.
Chuck B
Napamule

T Square
June 29th, 2015, 19:33
Compared to most of you guys I feel like I'm not even old enough to drink yet :very_drunk: . The big 60 an April ago !!!!!!!!

jpmouse
June 29th, 2015, 22:03
Turning 75 this year. Retired from the Navy in 1988 after 30 years as a submariner. I missed the sky most of all when submerged and have been in the FS skies ever since. Will probably have done a touch and go on the day I die. LOL!

JPMouse

papab
June 29th, 2015, 23:33
64 this September 13th....

Happy Birthday Old Airman...

Rick

llanning08
June 30th, 2015, 02:45
I'll turn 71 in August. Soloed in a Piper Colt in JAN67, Private Pilot in MAY67. Got Commercial Cert. in 1976.

Crusader
June 30th, 2015, 03:06
I will be 68 in October with a possible hip replacement lingering in the future . The old bones just aren't what they use to be .

Rich :icon29:

Mazo
June 30th, 2015, 03:40
Will hit 72 in Dec this year!

Wayland
June 30th, 2015, 04:21
Rolled over the big 62 in February.

Steve:very_drunk:

Bjoern
June 30th, 2015, 04:45
This confirms my suspicion that this forum is indeed a retirement home for aviation nerds with internet access*.

Ducks and runs slowly walks away.

(Avg. age in this thread: 67.61 years. My age: 44.369% of said average age.)

txnetcop
June 30th, 2015, 05:03
This confirms my suspicion that this forum is indeed a retirement home for aviation nerds with internet access*.

Ducks and runs slowly walks away.

(Avg. age in this thread: 67.61 years. My age: 44.369% of said average age.)

Not in a wheel chair yet kid!!! LOL I may not be as good as I was once but I am still as good once as I ever was...still up for another Rodeo!
https://youtu.be/ldQrapQ4d0Y

huub vink
June 30th, 2015, 05:04
That's why I love this place. It makes me feel young. I'm "just" 56..... :biggrin-new:

Cheers,
Huub

b52bob
June 30th, 2015, 05:06
71here. Age is still a state of mind but ask me where it hurts.

the older you get, the better you was.

bob

gray eagle
June 30th, 2015, 05:11
Honest, the wrinkles don't hurt.

I'll be 70 in two weeks.

mvg3d
June 30th, 2015, 05:15
59 Here (29 October), my first flight during 1971 on an A.V.I.A. FL.3, the second one on a Tiger Moth !!!

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Wayland
June 30th, 2015, 05:31
"Never tease an old dog, he may still have one good bite left." :biggrin-new:

Steve

Paul Domingue
June 30th, 2015, 06:42
I forget zzzzzzzzzzzz

ejoiner
June 30th, 2015, 07:08
Only a couple years on Eric. Will be 57 in January next.
:ernaehrung004:

I think we are all the oldest gamers on the interwebs. My kids laugh at me. :biggrin-new:

Lane Street
June 30th, 2015, 09:27
Old enough to know better, too young to resist.

Bjoern
June 30th, 2015, 10:13
Not in a wheel chair yet kid!!! LOL I may not be as good as I was once but I am still as good once as I ever was...still up for another Rodeo!
https://youtu.be/ldQrapQ4d0Y

And apparently semi-deaf, judging by your taste in music. *Walks away slightly faster* :D

"Never tease an old dog, he may still have one good bite left." :biggrin-new:

...if he can find his teeth. :D

I think we are all the oldest gamers on the interwebs. My kids laugh at me. :biggrin-new:

Nyet. The oldest clients I've delivered the sunday paper to takes the cake. He was in his early or mid 90s and always playing card games on his PC, she was in her late 70s and a big fan of adventure games of any kind. And I'm pretty sure their son also set up an internet connection for them. And all this was ten years ago.
Loved to have a chat with her about games whenever I went around collecting the money for the paper.

rdaniell
June 30th, 2015, 10:46
Nyet. The oldest clients I've delivered the sunday paper to takes the cake.

Well, Bjoern, it's good to see that you are gainful employed.( Written with tongue firmly in cheek. ) I have a first cousin who is 74 and still works as the circulation manager for a paper in Austin, Texas. Looks like you have a future. :encouragement:

Maybe if my retirement check is late, I can get a loan from you....:biggrin-new:

RD

txnetcop
June 30th, 2015, 10:51
Young man you are messed up LOL!!! I hope I live long enough to see you get to this age...I can hardly wait...By the way thanks for all your hard work on that L-39 Albatross
Ted

And apparently semi-deaf, judging by your taste in music. *Walks away slightly faster* :D

...if he can find his teeth. :D

Nyet. The oldest clients I've delivered the sunday paper to takes the cake. He was in his early or mid 90s and always playing card games on his PC, she was in her late 70s and a big fan of adventure games of any kind. And I'm pretty sure their son also set up an internet connection for them. And all this was ten years ago.
Loved to have a chat with her about games whenever I went around collecting the money for the paper.

Dumonceau
June 30th, 2015, 12:03
I'd like to chip in to get the average age down. I'll be turning 49 in September.

You can't imagine how good that made me feel! :jump::biggrin-new::very_drunk:

Johan

Dev One
June 30th, 2015, 12:18
I'd like to chip in to get the average age down. I'll be turning 49 in September.

You can't imagine how good that made me feel! :jump::biggrin-new::very_drunk:

Johan

Looks as if SOH needs to open a Creche!
Keith:dizzy:

DaleRFU
June 30th, 2015, 12:59
I guess I'm the baby of the community at the young age of 22:biggrin-new:

huub vink
June 30th, 2015, 13:25
I guess I'm the baby of the community at the young age of 22:biggrin-new:

Depends on your birthday as I know at least one other member who isn't 22 yet. But who will become 22 later this year.

Cheers,
Huub

Odie
June 30th, 2015, 14:32
60 years in October but the wife says I'm going on 15 !!!

jtrandttr
June 30th, 2015, 15:21
Cheers, Old Airman!

60 here, with 61 creeping in (October). My wife and kids got me started with FSX about six years ago. They think it's a hoot and push me to spend more time with it (I'd say I'm a pretty lucky pup all around). Got my PPL back in 1972 in a Yankee, then onward and upward.

Tom

delta_lima
June 30th, 2015, 15:22
Will spend my last few hours of my last day (today) as a 44-year old ... you guessed it ... on my FS box ... :biggrin-new:

dl

Rudyjo
June 30th, 2015, 16:03
When this thread first started, I would have guessed that the average age would be around 35.
I don't know if I want to remain a member of SOH now that I know they allow so many old people to join.
Just kidding...... At 64, you learn that age is just a number, I wish I knew then what I know now.
I would not want to be a kid now. Life is just too noisy and complicated. I miss the days when life was much more simple.

rdaniell
June 30th, 2015, 16:42
60 years in October but the wife says I'm going on 15 !!!

Odie, that's about the age my wife says I am. She's most likely correct as I'm a firm believer that growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional :wiggle:.

Happy early Birthday to you Delta_Lima.

RD

JohnGG
June 30th, 2015, 17:17
A young 68 here. I'm still active raising a good sized vegetable garden every year and with chores around the house. I make fairly regular trips to NAS Pensacola to watch the Blues practice and enjoying the air museum.

sarwulf
June 30th, 2015, 18:05
59 here. I suppose I qualify as a "Silver Back" but alas, my hair left my head when I was 40!

delta_lima
June 30th, 2015, 18:51
Odie, that's about the age my wife says I am. She's most likely correct as I'm a firm believer that growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional :wiggle:.

Happy early Birthday to you Delta_Lima.

RD

Thanks RD - missed seeing you around for a year or so - nice to see you're back.

cheers,

DL

rdaniell
June 30th, 2015, 20:12
Thanks RD - missed seeing you around for a year or so - nice to see you're back. cheers, DL

Hey! I really appreciate your missing me. No problems I just got away from FSX sim flying for awhile. Got really into RC flying. That interest has "peaked" now.
Kinda like all hobbies I suppose.

RD

delta_lima
June 30th, 2015, 21:21
Hey! I really appreciate your missing me. No problems I just got away from FSX sim flying for awhile. Got really into RC flying. That interest has "peaked" now.
Kinda like all hobbies I suppose.

RD

How could I not. You're good peeps. Spent a lot of time on business travel down in GA, MS, and NC over the years - have a soft spot in my heart for Southern US folks. The negative broad-brush generalisations one sees in the media are often wrong. And the food ... :redfire: ... any people group who has "barbecue" as a food type (a noun, not as a verb, the way we in Canada understand it!) gets my respect. Yum!
Happy July 4th (a few days early, but going away for our July 1st national holiday, so better early than later) :ernaehrung004:

dl

PHo17
July 1st, 2015, 00:29
I feel myself something like 40.

The papers say I am 68.

My wife regard me as 12 year old boy especially while I am flying FS.

:icon_lol:

Dutcheeseblend
July 1st, 2015, 02:29
I'll keep my mouth shut...
But I have a lot of respect for you older airmen. I know a lot of people around me around the average age in this thread who don't even know how to fire up a PC...

Maj Kong
July 1st, 2015, 02:56
Flew my first solo in a J-3 in 1957 a couple of weeks after my 17th. Hard to believe that my 78th was a couple of months ago.
One thing I have noticed about my age group: Women seem more interested in us, especially nurses and widows.

Bjoern
July 1st, 2015, 08:07
The average age in here is down to 55.52 years now.

Well, Bjoern, it's good to see that you are gainful employed.( Written with tongue firmly in cheek. ) I have a first cousin who is 74 and still works as the circulation manager for a paper in Austin, Texas. Looks like you have a future. :encouragement:

Maybe if my retirement check is late, I can get a loan from you....:biggrin-new:

That was ten years ago, around my graduation from school.
With a job like that, I couldn't even pay my rent now...

(And besides, it was just the sunday edition of the country's biggest tabloid. So I didn't even do anything to further people's education. But they paid well, at least. *Ahem*)

Young man you are messed up LOL!!! I hope I live long enough to see you get to this age...I can hardly wait...By the way thanks for all your hard work on that L-39 Albatross!

Well, if you up the dosage of vitamins and make it through 100 years, you might have a chance. ;)

About the L-39, glad you like it.

rdaniell
July 1st, 2015, 08:35
That was ten years ago, around my graduation from school. With a job like that, I couldn't even pay my rent now...(And besides, it was just the sunday edition of the country's biggest tabloid. So I didn't even do anything to further people's education. But they paid well, at least. *Ahem*) .

Bjoern, I guess that's a NO :banghead: on the loan then huh?

RD

Dev One
July 1st, 2015, 10:04
Flew my first solo in a J-3 in 1957 a couple of weeks after my 17th. Hard to believe that my 78th was a couple of months ago.
One thing I have noticed about my age group: Women seem more interested in us, especially nurses and widows.

Not too sure about the women, but one does get to make acquaintances with lots more people......usually with a medical Doctorate speciality!
First flight with my father in 1946 - Auster.....1st Solo 1957....Tiger Moth.
Keith

Bjoern
July 1st, 2015, 13:19
Bjoern, I guess that's a NO :banghead: on the loan then huh?

Well, I can lend you $20 if it helps, but I want $50 back in two weeks. :D

rdaniell
July 1st, 2015, 13:50
Well, I can lend you $20 if it helps, but I want $50 back in two weeks. :D

My friend, that's an offer I believe I can refuse...:running: (I wish this thing ran in the other direction but, you get my meaning.)

RD

Blood_Hawk23
July 1st, 2015, 14:37
There is a saying.

A young man will fight you just to fight. An Old man will kill you just to save the energy.

We do have a lot of older members. I guaranty us young pups will miss you all when it your time. But its not time yet.

Happy be-lated Birthday.

n4gix
July 2nd, 2015, 07:08
Oddly enough I am active on two forums with great age disparity; SOH and ProMods. The average age at ProMods is 15, although most of us on the staff are over 18 at least. :very_drunk:

At sixty-six, I'm evidently the ancient granther of the group. :triumphant:

Bjoern
July 2nd, 2015, 08:04
My friend, that's an offer I believe I can refuse...:running: (I wish this thing ran in the other direction but, you get my meaning.)

Let me implore you to reconsider.

Now where did I leave that chopped off horse head...?

Oddly enough I am active on two forums with great age disparity; SOH and ProMods. The average age at ProMods is 15, although most of us on the staff are over 18 at least. :very_drunk:

It's always odd popping into their forums and seeing your posts there. Like "Wait, Bill has a life outside of flight simulation?".

(And I'm still bummed that every new version of any map add-on requires the Scandinavia DLC.)

Alan_A
July 2nd, 2015, 08:53
Average (thanks, Bjoern!) member here at age 55...

rdaniell
July 2nd, 2015, 09:15
[QUOTE=Bjoern;963552]Let me implore you to reconsider. Now where did I leave that chopped off horse head...? QUOTE]

AH! Classic movie...."The Godfather." I've lost count of how many times I've watched it over the years since its original release.

Now for all you youngsters here at the Outhouse, there is one thing that seems to happen to our fluid memory as we get older. We tend to forget rather easily things that we have recently learned. I've just discovered that again this week at least for myself. I wanted to do a little revision to one of my sceneries. Well....darned if I hadn't almost completely forgotten how to use SketchUp, ADEX, and Model Converter. After several revisions, however, I finally have the changes I wanted to make. I never did get my night textures to look exactly like I wanted, though.

Now where did I put that payment I owed Bjoern? I hope that's not him knocking on my front door.

RD

Bjoern
July 2nd, 2015, 14:26
Now for all you youngsters here at the Outhouse, there is one thing that seems to happen to our fluid memory as we get older. We tend to forget rather easily things that we have recently learned. I've just discovered that again this week at least for myself. I wanted to do a little revision to one of my sceneries. Well....darned if I hadn't almost completely forgotten how to use SketchUp, ADEX, and Model Converter. After several revisions, however, I finally have the changes I wanted to make. I never did get my night textures to look exactly like I wanted, though.

Sometimes, I wish I could forget the countless unfinished projects piling up on my hard drive. But instead, they are firmy lodged into the back corner of my brain like tumours. *Groan*

rvn817j
July 3rd, 2015, 06:44
(61 in December.) Two years ago the government (US) sequestration cost me my job, so I've been on a semi-permanent sabbatical since. Funny thing about a job....I'm busier now that I don't have one! I haven't flown FSX much since winter ended early here in Minnesota, but I look-in on you "old farts" every now and then. Keep up the good work OLD guys...stay healthy. (If you have any interest and get a chance, stop by and see my HO scale train blog / store at http://trainstore.j-traxtrains.com/ . This is one of the things that has been taking up my time. It is more blog than store right now, but I have lots of inventory still to add. Thanks.)

P.S. Wife says it's time to vacuum. See what I mean by busy. I guess I need to find my inner cowboy!

Old Airman
July 24th, 2015, 12:51
WOW!!!! I'm not only a rookie but I'm a younger one! I've been trying to find a teenager around town to teach me some of the tricks in FSX and flight sims. Maybe I should raise my sights a couple of decades. I also took a ride at an early age (J-3 Cub, dirty, ragged, noisy and wonderful!) but that didn't translate to becoming a pilot. After 24 years service I do qualify for the "Crimson Hemorrhoids" from flying in various military aircraft without the usual passenger comforts.

I'm very proud and pleased to belong to such an outstanding group and I hope to someday know enough to contribute something useful or at least pretty.

Old Airman

Helldiver
July 24th, 2015, 13:56
You guys kind of make me feel old. I'm still kicking around here at age 87. Haven't posted much lately. I can't offer much to you jet jockeys
Still flying with FSX and belong to UFO, United Flying Octogenation.
Monday I'll be getting a new Computer a nice new Motherboard with a hot CPU, a superclocked video card and 16 MB of RAM. I can hardly wait.

glennc
July 24th, 2015, 16:01
It took a couple sets of calculator batteries to get to 67 and climbing.

Glenn

jojohnson9
July 24th, 2015, 16:12
You guys kind of make me feel old. I'm still kicking around here at age 87. Haven't posted much lately. I can't offer much to you jet jockeys
Monday I'll be getting a new Computer a nice new Motherboard with a hot CPU, a superclocked video card and 16 MB of RAM. I can hardly wait.

Helldiver, you must be the senior (naval) aviator on the forum. Damn glad that you are with us and look forward to many more years of your inputs to this site.

PRB
July 24th, 2015, 16:19

HD! Good to see you. Hope all is well with you.

sbp
July 25th, 2015, 16:00
Hats off to you, Old Airman:encouragement: Thank you for your service to this Country. At 77 I think flight sim has kept me younger. Has kept me out of the bars and off the streets. As a kid (about 4) I remember watching Lockheed test pilots putting the new P-38's through there paces flying over my house in Glendale, CA. In 1946 I remember seeing some of the first P-80's flying over Lynwood, CA. Then, my solo flight in an old Luscome 8A at 18, was 12 Dec 1956, what a thrill, flying out of an old dirt strip, Kenmar now Jabarra airfield near Wichita, KS. SEL PPL out of Gulfport, MS. Flights in T-33 and T-6 out of Mconnell AFB while in KSANG. 20 years in USAF as a Controller. The older I get the more I LOVE aircraft! SOH has given me a lot of knowledge about flying and even more important is all the FUN it's been with being on line with all you wonderful folks! Thank you all!

sbp.

p14u2nv
July 25th, 2015, 22:15
Happy Belated Birthday Old Airman and Delta_Lima...:icon29:

Turned 58 this month myself

Pat

Cees Donker
July 25th, 2015, 22:35
I'm 59 years young.

:biggrin-new:

Cees

jmbiii
July 26th, 2015, 04:16
Darn, don't know how I didn't get on this bandwagon earlier. Happy Belated Birthday to you Old Airman. :wavey:
72 here. First airplane ride for me was a Pan Am 'connie' - 1947 - New York to Frankfort, with stops in Gander and London.

Bjoern
July 27th, 2015, 05:47
(I needed a spreadsheet for this.)

For this thread...

Members stating their age: 50
Average age: 63.58 years
Age group 0-20: None
Age group 20-30: 3
Age group 30-40: None
Age group 40-50: 2
Age group 50-60: 7
Age group 60-70: 23