January 29th, 2009, 10:11
Yes it is, take a look:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3B1U1TigJdI&feature=related

planejunky
January 29th, 2009, 10:41
Excellent, thanks for posting! :applause:

Thoe6969
January 29th, 2009, 10:44
Great movie,I love that plane.Can't wait for the restoration at Dayton to be completed and get her on display.

Richard Westcott
January 29th, 2009, 11:14
Brilliant, just love those old movies.

DennyBoy
January 30th, 2009, 02:01
Hi !

Yes - The B-17´s Flying Fortress is one of my favorite plane.

I´m remember se another B-17 at Bulltofta in Sweden during the WWII named "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" and a B-24 "Pistol Packing Mama"

The Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby whas a B-17G in natural metal

On B-24 bellylanding and stop short of my grandfathers house.

Best Regard
DennyBoy

Planes-11
January 30th, 2009, 03:06
Hi !

Yes - The B-17´s Flying Fortress is one of my favorite plane.

I´m remember se another B-17 at Bulltofta in Sweden during the WWII named "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby" and a B-24 "Pistol Packing Mama"

The Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby whas a B-17G in natural metal

On B-24 bellylanding and stop short of my grandfathers house.

Best Regard
DennyBoy

I know the 8th Air Force went to great lengths to recruit, but a door to door visit is quite much...:karate:

stansdds
January 30th, 2009, 03:07
The B-17 is one of my favorites as well. A few years ago I had the opportunity to fly on either a B-17G or a B-24J (Collings Foundation), I opted for the B-17 and it was a fantastic ride!

Bomber_12th
January 30th, 2009, 07:53
I was just thinking about the original film the other day, having a VHS of it in my collection, and how great it is that it was made, otherwise we would have far less video of this quality covering the mid-war daylight bombing raids. I have found it extremely difficult to find any B-17 documentary which does not feature footage from the original Memphis Belle film, and most are heavily based on it.

Interestingly enough, with more detailed analysis being conducted on the history of the Memphis Belle due to its current restoration, there have been a lot of rather surprising findings in recent years, mainly about how many missions it and the crew actually flew - obviously in WWII, no one would have thought that historians 65+ years later, would be digging into such details.

dogknot
January 30th, 2009, 08:40
Love these old films.

Thought I'd mention a great tool for capturing and converting these clips from youtube and other similar sites.

I use this all the time and it could not be simpler to use (one click). Great for saving to your personal film archives or sending to a friend at work whose work computers won't allow youtube links.

VDownloader -- YouTube Downloader. Search, Download and Convert videos from Youtube.
http://www.brothersoft.com/download-vdownloader-62293.html
Also, Google, Yahoo!Video, MegaVideo, etc.
with output formats in many formats, including AVI, MPG, iPOD, PSP, 3GP, VCD, SVCD, DVD, FLV and MP3 (audio only).

Works as it's own browser and has a search function!

Planes-11
January 30th, 2009, 11:52
Love these old films.

Thought I'd mention a great tool for capturing and converting these clips from youtube and other similar sites.

I use this all the time and it could not be simpler to use (one click). Great for saving to your personal film archives or sending to a friend at work whose work computers won't allow youtube links.

VDownloader -- YouTube Downloader. Search, Download and Convert videos from Youtube.
http://www.brothersoft.com/download-vdownloader-62293.html
Also, Google, Yahoo!Video, MegaVideo, etc.
with output formats in many formats, including AVI, MPG, iPOD, PSP, 3GP, VCD, SVCD, DVD, FLV and MP3 (audio only).

Works as it's own browser and has a search function!

Looks like thats a fine tool there Brent...thanks.:applause:

miketull
January 31st, 2009, 12:48
Yes thats a great video. The last copy of it that I bought was from Historic Aviation, I bought an old video of it one time at a truck stop for five bucks. I took some pitcures of the "Belle" inside and out when it was on Mud Island at Memphis. I would upload them to this forum but I do not know how. I was'nt even able to upload my own pitcure. I think that the "Belle" was one of the first one hundred "F" models B-17, that was manufactured and it had some unique features from other "F" models. It was one of only fifteen B-17s to have the Navigators Table on the right-hand side of the nose. The "Belle" had the early type Autopilot Control Panel type G1023, with the Gangbar on top of the panel instead of on the side like the later model G1047 Autopilot control panel. The "Belle" G1023 autopilot control panel also had no "tell-tale lights" and no "turning knob". The "Belle's" hatch going from the cockpit to the nose compartment was covered by a hinged wooden door. The engine oil tanks that I observed by looking in the wheel wells were made of metal instead of the self-sealing (self-vulcanizing) material that was used in later models. If someone can tell me how to upload pitcures to simouthouse I'll be glad to do it.

Wittpilot
January 31st, 2009, 13:01
If and when I get laid off coming up.... I am going to be signing up for the restoration tour at the museum... will have to take lots of pics for everyone of that other 'Belle' and of the Swoose...

-witt

Thoe6969
January 31st, 2009, 13:21
If and when I get laid off coming up.... I am going to be signing up for the restoration tour at the museum... will have to take lots of pics for everyone of that other 'Belle' and of the Swoose...

-witt I took that tour last winter,takes about three hours to do but well worth it.I go down at least once a year.Only one day a week you can take that tour,seems to me it was Wednesdays ,but wouldn't swear to it.

Wittpilot
January 31st, 2009, 15:24
I think it is on Fridays now...and it used to only be during the summer months... but now with the Memphis Belle there, they might have extended it... My dad is going there sometine soon to take pictures of the cockpit seats so we can have a better idea of what the hell we are trying to build in Urbana... Plans can only get you so far sometimes... It helps having the head of the restoration dept. at the museum be a family acquaintance......:wiggle:

-witt

miketull
February 6th, 2009, 11:02
Please pardon me, I'm somewhat confused, when you say that "other Belle", which particular aircraft are you referring to? Is there another "Belle" at the museum besides the original "Memphis Belle"?

Wittpilot
February 6th, 2009, 14:18
Miketull,

Did not mean to confuse you, it was my attempt at being humorous... I was only reffering to my signature and my avatar as I have connections with the group that owns and operates 'Liberty Belle'....

-witt