PDA

View Full Version : External Engine Sound Upgrade for the MU-2B-60

StormILM
May 14th, 2015, 20:48
This is a video I just put together after I finished making an external engine sound upgrade for the Flysimware MU-2B-60. The reason I did this was that having been in close proximity of a good number of different MU-2's over the years(and many other aircraft which use Garrett TPE331's), the sounds of the engines taxiing or at takeoff power(and approach power/prop rpm settings) is something that's kind of burned into my memory. As such, to me the high rpm buzzing/droning sound the real MU-2's generally make was missing in this model(there is little difference in the model's external engine sounds at different power/rpm settings). No offense intended against Mark or Joe but as nice job as you guys did on this model, this to me was a bit of an glaring omission. So I spent a bit of my evening last night fixing the issue using a freeware Garrett sound file(recorded from the real engine) and then making the appropriate adjustments to get the pitch of the sound as close as I could based on different videos. Overall, I am quite pleased with the results but I may tweak it a bit more before releasing it. Anyhow, here's the demo of the results and another youtube link of a real MU-2B-60 taking off. Please sound off your opinions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHdXOjRFp5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjAQhBcFarQ

Daube
May 14th, 2015, 23:12
That sounds quite good :)

I have just bought and installed that plane but couldn't test it yet. I wish I had more simming time...

Anneke
May 15th, 2015, 04:30
Indeed that seems to be what I was missing! Very nice rumble. Heard the Garret (Cessna) a few times and this is spot on!

ksheadley
May 15th, 2015, 04:50
That sounds great....adds immensely to the simulation

StormILM
May 15th, 2015, 10:51
Thanks for the input guys! There was a poster on the YT video comments section who indicated that perhaps there was going to be another update (version 1.6?) which would include a revised soundset. For now, I am going to hold off releasing this mod until the guys at Flysimware have a chance to address this with their own update (and I'd like to hear/test that one compared to my own). I am going to continue testing/tweaking of this file just in case I may want to release it as an alternate sound option.