PDA

View Full Version : A New Bit of Kit for my Pit

odourboy
April 14th, 2015, 05:30
Although I have a plethora of buttons and switches on my HOTAS (X-55 Rhino), there never seems to be enough for combat aircraft. The issue is that I want controls at my fingertips not specifically for aircraft, but for the simulator, TrackIR, FRAPS and such. I had these on my HOTAS, but they were taking up valuable buttons needed for aircraft weapons systems. So I took a flyer and picked up a new gizmo on the weekend - a Tartarus gaming keypad by Razer.

My idea is to relocate all the simulation 'environment' controls onto this separate controller (mounted beside my throttle, as it's designed for left-hand operation). So far I've put controls such as Zoom in/out, Chase Distance In/Out, Pan up/Down, View next/prev/cycle, Pause, Window/Full screen, TrackIR Centre, FRAPS screenshot and video start/stop. I just set up up, but so far it seems to be a good move. At about $75, the Tartarus seems solid and suitable for the task.

I am not affiliated in any way with this company or the product. Just thought I'd share this idea with the community. It is what it is. :very_drunk:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/fmCie5OYSmE/maxresdefault.jpg

Duckie
April 14th, 2015, 05:58
odorboy, I've been considering something like this for much the same reasons as you. How easy/difficult to program is it and can different profiles be setup for it?

Looks intersecting.

odourboy
April 14th, 2015, 06:21
It's easy enough to program (though figuring out how to set up an auto-repeat for chase distance and pan up/down so I could just hold down a key was not obvious in the UI or documentation - defining it as a macro gave me the option to hold the key) and reasonably flexible. It's basically a re-mappable keyboard - so your key assignments map to keyboard keys or sequences of keys (including timing control if necessary), mouse actions, windows shortcuts... I don't think you can assign controller buttons directly - like 'joystick button 1' - but I'm not sure since I just got the thing.

It appears to support infinite profiles, which can be optionally auto-set to load when you load a program (didn't actually try this, but it's there). They can also be manually selected (through a pop-up under the 'show hidden icons' windows toolbar icon). It also supports 8 sets of key mapping re-assignment options (like modes in the CH or Saitek HOTAS) which can be changed on the fly in game if you assign one of the keys to be a mode switcher (also something I don't need right now, but it's pretty straight forward to program).

The one thing I found extremely off-putting was that you are forced to set up a Razer account to get access to the configuration software 'Synapse'. Further, they suggest that an internet connection is required and your profiles are stored on their 'cloud'. Really though, I think it's just an annoying means of creating a market research and advertising portal at your expense. However, I sucked it up and set up the account, and once I did, I found that I could operate in 'off-line' mode just fine.

Duckie
April 14th, 2015, 08:10
odourboy, thanks for the feedback. Still chewing on options but this piece of hardware was on the list and your post was very timely for me.

Thanks again,
Steve

Naismith
April 14th, 2015, 13:47
There are never enough USB ports. :wiggle:

darklight
April 14th, 2015, 22:29
I've solved this same problem by buying a cheap keyboard and adding an overlay I print out on card, very similar to this (http://flightsim-reviews.com/store/keyboard-overlays/) actually, but a bit better looking because I used a black compact keyboard. It works really well, but I want to improve it by making interchangable overlays for different sims - no idea how to do that right now though. Keyboards are cheap though.

zswobbie1
April 14th, 2015, 22:45
Darklight's keyboard idea works like a charm. A few of us at our VA use extra keyboards with remapped keys & colour coded grouped keys. We use the keyboards placed vertically, some of us even tilt the keyboard.

You can get some nice small keyboards & can choose one with square keys.
& keyboards are a hell of a lot cheaper ( & more versitile) than paying $75!)

The realism factor is quite hightened, as this can eliminate a lot of mouse usage.
FSUIPC is amazing for this! Thanks Pete!

roger-wilco-66
April 14th, 2015, 22:53
I wish Saitek / Mad Catz would make a unmarked, stackable switch panel with maybe 20 switches in the style they already offer. I have the normal switchpanel and mapped all the functions, but there are still a lot of functions that could be assigned.

Cheers,
Mark

zswobbie1
April 14th, 2015, 23:26
Hi Mark,
For our MB-326 sim, we needed a switch panel, so we got a BU0836X controller card from http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94

& made up our own configuration of switches. Again! FSUIPC rules!
BTW, we are using 1 of the boards in our MB-326 sim & 3x in our Avro Shackleton sim.

You can build up a nice custom designed panel with these boards! (They are very small as well)

Cheers,
Robin

mjrhealth
April 15th, 2015, 02:26
Being using one of them since the Gravis Gamepad days nowRazer Nostromo. Have all my panels set to keys beiws etc so much more convenient, have mouse wheel set for Elevator trim. for teh Razer Cr**P just get the older version of the software. I havnt updated for that reason and having to use there cloud, what the heck for. I have driver v2.02 Firmware 1.02, works fine no need for online stuff.

roger-wilco-66
April 15th, 2015, 03:04
Hi Mark,
For our MB-326 sim, we needed a switch panel, so we got a BU0836X controller card from http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=94

& made up our own configuration of switches. Again! FSUIPC rules!
BTW, we are using 1 of the boards in our MB-326 sim & 3x in our Avro Shackleton sim.

You can build up a nice custom designed panel with these boards! (They are very small as well)

Cheers,
Robin

Hmmm nice reminder, Robin. I have one of those controllers lying around, leftover from a hardware project....

Cheers,
Mark