PDA

View Full Version : Captain Sim B-52 Review

Peg o my heart
April 2nd, 2015, 20:28
Normally, I very rarely (or never?) post my review link in a forum. But being as one of the best and influential MSFS forums available, I feel it may be a good idea to hear and receive inputs and critics from SOH members. During my stay here, I am aware of that the members here are pretty much serious simmers who have enormous knowledge. I believe, review should not be an ad, so with this in mind I really tried to be fair and balanced as I applied in all my reviews.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?15649-Review-Captain-Sim-B-52-Driver

I thank you beforehand for taking time to read and most importantly, your critics, and suggestions. as WarHorse47's signature says, "I'm here to learn, so fill me with knowledge," :D

Bjoern
April 3rd, 2015, 09:07
Apart from an introduction, focus on the sim rendition. Technical data, service history or else can be read on Wikipedia in much more detail.

Feature list:
"Captain Sim visual quality and realism"
Simmers not familiar with CS products will scratch their heads at this one.

Self-shadowing and 3D animations are a basic feature of every FSX native model. No need to mention these. "4X textures" should be "HD textures" or "4096² pixel textures". Support for crabbing should be listed as an exterior model feature while the TFR is a interior feature. Describe the flight model and soundset as "custom" rather than "realistic" because there's gonna be some people who will find some oddities with either.

And again: "Famous Captainsim expertise". There are still people out there who know zilch about CS.

Regarding the part on the FDE: Just mention that there is a tweak, post a link to it, but say that you didn't use it in your review as you wanted to test the out-of-the-wrapper product. Your review makes it sound as if the tweaked FDE is something highly illegal (it is not).

The short discussion of the soundset again suffers from the "nomen es omen" bug. It should be something like "Compared to other CS products I own, the soundset is a bit of a letdown. Which is sad, because the other soundsets are brilliant."

Other than that: Thumbs up!

Ian Warren
April 3rd, 2015, 12:26
Captain Sims B-52 :cool: , I brought this without hesitation on its first release, it had a default 747 VC .... a year later MILVIZ then jumped in and added the cockpit , SUPERB:encouragement: Now with that done I think we all would love to see some early variants , course the all metal (well not quite) all us B-52 fans live in the Grey world today. So without the ability to change it to metal out comes the pots and pans and come up with this - WIP
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/03/08/2.jpg

icycle
April 3rd, 2015, 14:14
Wow, that is darn near awesome! No, check that, it IS awesome!!!
Never could quite understand why just the B52H was ever done in "modern times" - Alpha has a "G", and "H" (even without the EVS "stuff"), an FS-KBT hand one - both originally for FS2002....
Given the rich history of the plane, we can only hope we see one - someday...

Thanks for the shots.

Bill

Peg o my heart
April 3rd, 2015, 20:48
Apart from an introduction, focus on the sim rendition. Technical data, service history or else can be read on Wikipedia in much more detail.

Feature list:
"Captain Sim visual quality and realism"
Simmers not familiar with CS products will scratch their heads at this one.

Self-shadowing and 3D animations are a basic feature of every FSX native model. No need to mention these. "4X textures" should be "HD textures" or "4096² pixel textures". Support for crabbing should be listed as an exterior model feature while the TFR is a interior feature. Describe the flight model and soundset as "custom" rather than "realistic" because there's gonna be some people who will find some oddities with either.

And again: "Famous Captainsim expertise". There are still people out there who know zilch about CS.

Regarding the part on the FDE: Just mention that there is a tweak, post a link to it, but say that you didn't use it in your review as you wanted to test the out-of-the-wrapper product. Your review makes it sound as if the tweaked FDE is something highly illegal (it is not).

The short discussion of the soundset again suffers from the "nomen es omen" bug. It should be something like "Compared to other CS products I own, the soundset is a bit of a letdown. Which is sad, because the other soundsets are brilliant."

Thank you very much. I think you're right, I see no reason to prolong the historical background as readers can easily find the more specific information in the net.

About the tweak, the discussion in the forum has been very extensive and it seems widely accepted as the correct one. Since the product is nearly five years old, I would like to point out - especially entry level simmer - that they got alternatives. But i think it is a good idea just to say "there's a tweak".

Again thank you Bjoern. Veru useful. Will heavily consider your inputs. :very_drunk:

Peg o my heart
April 3rd, 2015, 20:49
Captain Sims B-52 :cool: , I brought this without hesitation on its first release, it had a default 747 VC .... a year later MILVIZ then jumped in and added the cockpit , SUPERB:encouragement: Now with that done I think we all would love to see some early variants , course the all metal (well not quite) all us B-52 fans live in the Grey world today. So without the ability to change it to metal out comes the pots and pans and come up with this - WIP

Oh that one is beautiful sir

Ian Warren
April 4th, 2015, 01:44
Oh that one is beautiful sir
Thank you very much , all the books I have here on the Boeing's "who loves ya baby" B-52, a work in progress , the wings will be interesting

b52bob
April 4th, 2015, 06:03
Beautifully done. May I make a couple of observations though. The white anti-flash was applied to the upper cabin on all H models that I ever saw. The natural aluminum on the real fuselage is much to large, should a about half that size. I never saw an H with an all white engine pod. All were gray/white.

i in no way want you to think this is a critism. The paint job is lovely. This would be a great paint for a G model, wish CS would make one along with a tall tail D.

Bob

Bjoern
April 4th, 2015, 07:52
Again thank you Bjoern. Veru useful. Will heavily consider your inputs. :very_drunk:

Yay! :jump:

CanadaKen
April 4th, 2015, 08:36
Will it work under P3D?

CK

Ian Warren
April 4th, 2015, 12:41
Beautifully done. May I make a couple of observations though. The white anti-flash was applied to the upper cabin on all H models that I ever saw. The natural aluminum on the real fuselage is much to large, should a about half that size. I never saw an H with an all white engine pod. All were gray/white.

i in no way want you to think this is a critism. The paint job is lovely. This would be a great paint for a G model, wish CS would make one along with a tall tail D.

Bob
Hi Bob , still twiddling around with it, each area covers the template done , once I have complete metalated < new word invented, I will then adjust it back adjust the specific areas to look more mag/alloy affect.

Great to have your input tho, this is a bits and pieces from my library here, only a very short time the model was in its metal , more based on early variants , I love to see the Captain hook into the early variants.

Ian Warren
April 4th, 2015, 12:48
Will it work under P3D?

CK

I think you may have to ask at the Captains forums.