Navy Chief
March 26th, 2015, 09:30
Until March 30th...NC

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

ejoiner
March 26th, 2015, 09:35
Until March 30th...NC

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Im still unclear as to why anybody with a fully functioning FSX set up on their HD would want this. I figured it would just be for stray newbies.

Montie
March 26th, 2015, 09:41
I bought it at the very first release sale, I wanted a digital copy of FSX.

Dave Torkington
March 26th, 2015, 09:49
Thanks for the heads up Pete!

I figured for £3.99 it'd be worth installing on my older desktop PC and taking a look :applause:

Roger
March 26th, 2015, 10:35
Okay I'm thick! How do I just download and not install:dizzy:

Daveroo
March 26th, 2015, 10:49

i think you may have to do a full install..then uninstall parts of it..not sure...there is a Que that i believe you can have it there until you are ready for it..not sure though

Ferry_vO
March 26th, 2015, 10:50

You can't; Steam starts downloading when you install the game.

Bjoern
March 26th, 2015, 10:51
Im still unclear as to why anybody with a fully functioning FSX set up on their HD would want this.

Updates. Not the "I want 64bit so I can finally install even more useless high definition junk!" level of updates, but the "My presently installed level of high definition junk doesn't make FSX crash that often anymore!" level. Plus fixes for some other crashes.

Pete Dowson is a huge fan of FSXSE, by the way and that should tell you something...

Not possible. Downloading also means installing it.

Daveroo
March 26th, 2015, 10:52
Im still unclear as to why anybody with a fully functioning FSX set up on their HD would want this. I figured it would just be for stray newbies.

for me personally,i have an older PC and its not even made for simming..once i got FSX ready on it...i got those dreeded OOMs all the time..or it just wouldnt load on start up..ect..on and on....

i got the FSX.SE version and i can actually fly planes i never could even get to work before...i dont know if some files remain on their servers,i dont think you can even play it offline,though i did somewhere were it says offline flight has been fixed..

arrowmaker
March 26th, 2015, 11:11
I notice that there a number of Steam edition addons, for sale. Does this mean that my collection of addons won't 100% work with the Steam Edition? What's the difference between a normal addon and a SE variant?

Navy Chief
March 26th, 2015, 11:29
I notice that there a number of Steam edition addons, for sale. Does this mean that my collection of addons won't 100% work with the Steam Edition? What's the difference between a normal addon and a SE variant?

Am not completely certain, but I believe that MOST FSX addons will work with SE. There are some that do not, i.e. some sceneries), but believe the makers of such incompatible addons are working to fix that. NC

As for why I have Steam FSX? For me, it works much smoother and faster. That's enough reasons for me. I am not alone in my assessment, either. NC

arrowmaker
March 26th, 2015, 11:47
As for why I have Steam FSX? For me, it works much smoother and faster. That's enough reasons for me. I am not alone in my assessment, either. NC

I guess I'll have to investigate. As long as my Orbx sceneries work with it then I'll probably go ahead and make a purchase.

Roger
March 26th, 2015, 11:52
I guess I'll have to investigate. As long as my Orbx sceneries work with it then I'll probably go ahead and make a purchase.

ORBX has a useful forum dedicated to FsX SE.

heywooood
March 26th, 2015, 13:38
you can purchase and not download it - it just goes into your Steam library as owned but not installed.

I bought it at the first go round because I wanted to see what the new group was going to do with it...
I have the discs installed on my PC and installed the SE on my laptop so I could mess with it - see how it performs, add some scenery and aircraft.

I know my disc media wont last forever...so I bought the SE,
I know the developers plan to tweak it and try to make it better
I know current 3rd party developers are continuing to add new content and most have already made adjustments for the SE
It seems to me that 5.00 is a very cheap insurance policy if nothing else - but its much more than that.

Cirrus N210MS
March 26th, 2015, 16:30
just got a copy of it :wavey:

Naismith
March 26th, 2015, 16:31
I'll be getting it...... after my major upgrade tomorrow .... provided Purolater can deliver as promised and as long as the components all work fine ... fingers crossed. :jump: :biggrin-new:

stansdds
March 27th, 2015, 02:44
I think this is a good opportunity for me to get the Steam edition. Dovetail games did make a number of changes to the FSX engine code to improve performance. From the videos that I have seen, textures seem to load a little faster, sim play seems a little smoother and the dreaded OOM error is greatly reduced. The downside has been that you must be on the internet to fly the FSX Steam Edition (soon to be fixed) and some add-ons are not compatible. As the Steam Edition has become more popular, most add-on developers have made their products Steam compatible. No, it's not a 64-bit version of FSX, but neither is Prepar3D, but the Steam Edition is a lot less expensive than P3D and does not require DX11.

thefrog
March 27th, 2015, 03:33
I'm tempted to get it - one nagging worry though: would it interfere in any way with my existing installation of FSX?

odourboy
March 27th, 2015, 04:50
Question for the Steam users: Can I install FSX:SE on more than one machine or is my purchase for a single machine?

I'd like to test drive a dual FSX:MS and FSX:SE install on another machine and get the hang of the dual install/shared folders (a la Doug Dowson's installation) before I put my gaming machine at risk.

Double J
March 27th, 2015, 05:19
Dovetail is just trying to milk it for every penny they can before they release their next flight simulator. Microsoft Flight II.

FSX is on it's last legs.

rohan
March 27th, 2015, 05:35
I'm tempted to get it - one nagging worry though: would it interfere in any way with my existing installation of FSX?

Yes, installing the Steam version of FSX will steal your existing FSX registry key. After that, installing FSX add-ons will default to the Steam version whenever an add-on installer uses the registry key to locate where the add-on should be installed. The alternative is to use one of the FSX registry fix tools to move the key back to the non-Steam version. Another alternative is to install an add-on to a temporary folder and move the files manually to whichever FSX installation you prefer.

This Steam version of FSX is not really intended for users who already have FSX installed - it's meant to open up a new group of users who've never had FSX before. Having said that, it does contain a small number of fixes which some existing users have found to be of benefit, but given the license conditions between DTG and M$, there are unlikely to be any further fixes or updates to the FSX code within this Steam version. And, to be clear, this Steam version of FSX is actually a (slight) variation on FSX with the Acceleration update.

arrowmaker
March 27th, 2015, 05:35
People considering the steam edition should watch this first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953csUjSmCg

Daube
March 27th, 2015, 07:17
Yes, the "compatibility" with addons is not perfect. YET.
That's the thing: FSX is dead, and FSX Steam is alive. These compatibility issues are temporary.

People should get FSX Steam while it's sold at 5$, or not get it at all. There's no need to wonder at that price. Plus, nobody forces you to install it, especially if your normal FSX is still working fine.

heywooood
March 27th, 2015, 07:54
Question for the Steam users: Can I install FSX:SE on more than one machine or is my purchase for a single machine?

I'd like to test drive a dual FSX:MS and FSX:SE install on another machine and get the hang of the dual install/shared folders (a la Doug Dowson's installation) before I put my gaming machine at risk.

you can install FSX onto any machine that has Steam access - log into your Steam account - go to your Library - and install FSX - no limits

heywooood
March 27th, 2015, 07:56
Yes, the "compatibility" with addons is not perfect. YET.
That's the thing: FSX is dead, and FSX Steam is alive. These compatibility issues are temporary.

People should get FSX Steam while it's sold at 5$, or not get it at all. There's no need to wonder at that price. Plus, nobody forces you to install it, especially if your normal FSX is still working fine.

^^this is what I did - then I installed it on my laptop...to test^^

n4gix
March 28th, 2015, 10:26
Yes, installing the Steam version of FSX will steal your existing FSX registry key.
No it will not do that. If FSX is already installed, FSX:SE will create its own Registry entry:

FSX (disk) - HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0" AppPath

FSX:SE - HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator - steam edition\10.0" AppPath
Please note the difference in the two Registry entries: " - steam edition"...

The only case where the Steam version will use the same registry key is if it is installed on a VIRGIN system, meaning one on which FSX (disk) has never been installed (or at least has been completely exorcised). :engel016:

From this it should be obvious now why us developers have had to scramble to update our installers to accomodate all possibilities, as we now have potentially four different sim platforms to which our products may need to be installed!

FSX
FSX:SE
Prepar3Dv1.x
Prepar3Dv2.x

Ferry_vO
April 3rd, 2015, 06:20

Well, I just found a good reason.... For some reason (I think it was a faulty uninstaller) my entire effects folder was empty!
Now in stead of having to reinstall the entire sim, I just right-clicked on FsX in the Steam library, then go to Properties-> Local Files-> Verify integrity of game cache.. and a few moments later Steam is redownloading all my missing files! (Except the ones from payware products obviously.)

Daube
April 3rd, 2015, 07:39
Did it redownload only the missing files, or did it overwritte the files that you replaced by addons too ?
For example, if somebody modified the clouds with something like HDE, and then uses that feature to check the integrity of the cache, will the clouds be replaced by their original version ?

Ferry_vO
April 3rd, 2015, 08:43
To be honest I didn't check that, but it said it would download 8.000+ missing files. Reinstalling an add-on is easier than reinstalling the entire sim anyway.

Bjoern
April 3rd, 2015, 09:17
Did it redownload only the missing files, or did it overwritte the files that you replaced by addons too ?
For example, if somebody modified the clouds with something like HDE, and then uses that feature to check the integrity of the cache, will the clouds be replaced by their original version ?

I've used the "verify blahblah" feature. It doesn't overwrite anything.

Thing to watch out for:
The default trafficairplanes.bgl, usenglish.gvp and SDK folders will be redownloaded and reinstalled as well, so you will have to delete them manually if you use custom AI, an EVP modified voicepack and don't need the SDK.

Here's a batch file to do just this:

@echo off
echo This will delete unneded content from FSXSE!
echo.
echo Run after every verification of local files
echo or after every update!
echo.
echo.
@echo on
cd %cd%\steamapps\common\fsx
RMDIR SDK /S /Q
RMDIR gmax /S /Q
del sound\ATC\USEnglishBig.gvp
del Scenery\World\scenery\trafficAircraft.bgl
@echo off
pause

Save as "DeleteFSXSEStuff.bat" (or whatever else you want to call it) and put it into FSXSE's parent "SteamLibrary" folder (e.g. "C:\SteamLibrary" or D:\SteamLibrary" or "C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\SteamLibrary"). Then run it after every verfication or update.

rohan
April 4th, 2015, 00:18
No it will not do that. If FSX is already installed, FSX:SE will create its own Registry entry:

FSX (disk) - HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0" AppPath

FSX:SE - HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator - steam edition\10.0" AppPath

Oh yes it WILL - but only until DTG get their finger out and publish the update that they announced some two months ago, in which the changed key will be introduced ...

WhiskeyEcho
April 4th, 2015, 03:28
Oh yes it WILL - but only until DTG get their finger out and publish the update that they announced some two months ago, in which the changed key will be introduced ...

As Bill said it will not, hence the new installers, finds FSX then looks for FSX-SE. Works for me.

n4gix
April 4th, 2015, 07:36

Rohan, have you actually written an installer package, or have had any direct coding experience with this issue, or are you relying on anecdotal comments read on the internet?

I wrote my first installer package while FSX:SE was still in Beta. It has always written a unique Registry entry and used a custom path/filename structure if it detects that FSX (disk edition) is already installed.

Here are the Registry keys for all four sim products:

${If} $RadioButton1_State == 1
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKCU"Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator\10.0" AppPath
${EndIf}
${If} $RadioButton2_State == 1
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\flight simulator - steam edition\10.0" AppPath
${EndIf}
${If} $RadioButton3_State == 1
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKLM "Software\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D" SetupPath
${EndIf}
${If} $RadioButton4_State == 1
ReadRegStr $INSTDIR HKLM "Software\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" SetupPath
${EndIf}

If any of those 'keys' exist, then the actual path is returned from this routine in the variable "SetupPath" or "AppPath", which is then assigned to my installer's working variable $INSTDIR (install directory).

Using that $INSTDIR variable will allow me to direct the files to be installed to whichever of the four sim versions is chosen:

SetOutPath "$INSTDIR\SimObjects\Airplanes\Beech_Baron_B55 Milviz"
File "D:\Installer Build Folders\B55_GTN_Build Folder\SimObjects\Airplanes\Beech_Baron_B55 Milviz\*.*"