PDA

View Full Version : Warbirdsim P-51 engine sounds

ejoiner
February 19th, 2015, 16:49
Im new to the WBS P-51, however have on several occasions seen and heard real P-51s. the Packard Merlin makes a sound like no other. In listening to the WBS P-51, the engine sounds seem lacking in deep throatiness. Anybody else think this? Are there alternative engine sounds that would be better or is it just me and I need to be happy with what I bought?

E

fsxar177
February 19th, 2015, 21:56
You're not Alone...

There is an updated sound-pack being created, of which I have heard samples. Very promising..

I guess we'll have to wait, for now!

- Joseph

SpaceWeevil
February 20th, 2015, 10:33
I suppose it depends a bit on your audio setup, especially speakers / headphones. On fairly decent headphones I think the WBS P-51D sounds great from the pilot's seat (where I spend most of the time) but a bit weedy from outside, especially on 'fly-bys' in tower view. I appreciate that the 'airshow' aspect may not have been a design priority, but it is fun to do sometimes! I must admit I have aliased the sounds to my 'other' P-51D....

T6flyer
February 20th, 2015, 13:56
When I had my first P-51 flight back in the 1990s, I was amazed how noisy it was in the cockpit. By then I had also sampled other warbirds such as the T-6 and the TBM, but neither were like the Mustang. I take my hat off to all those young men that flew them in combat with just a cloth headset on. Not for me.

Happy Landings,

Martin

Off to have a go with the Warbirdsim one now, to have a listen! :)

WarHorse47
June 17th, 2015, 18:02
You're not Alone...

There is an updated sound-pack being created, of which I have heard samples. Very promising..

I guess we'll have to wait, for now!

- JosephGot me curious. Any updates on this? Who is doing the update, WBS? I should think that if its specific to the WBS Mustang series it should be available somewhere by now. Maybe?? :engel016:

fsxar177
June 17th, 2015, 22:06
It's not an official update, and it's not available yet. Fingers crossed!

- Joseph

WarBert
June 18th, 2015, 04:49
Hi Folks,

The sounds were recorded by me in the Peter Teichman example Jumpin' Jacques out of North Weald.
2 Flights were made and a mix of the best bits were edited to give what we have.
For the external recordings, Peter had just replaced an engine and invited me to go and record the run ups.
We only went to 3000 rpm and about 40" so the rest is poetic licence.

I have to admit that I do have a big bass woofer in the system, which is my preference, so if we do an update
it will be with the bass turned down to maybe give you more bottom end.

You can't please all of the people, but to my ear, turn up the volume.... it is pretty close!

At the moment currently working on a certain Allison engine with a rather strange gear noise!

Happy Landings!
Albert
www.warbirdsim.com

Maj Kong
June 18th, 2015, 05:15
I too have seen and heard quite a few P-51s, particularly Bob Hoover's and the roar is unmistakable. Warbirdsims has a very good sound and it will be nice if they touch it up a bit.
Having said that: Their "Little Friends: P-51 is the cream of the crop compared to several others I have purchased. My favorite Preddy's "Cripes A'Mighty" is as real as it gets.

WarHorse47
June 18th, 2015, 06:00
Okay. It sounds like this is not a sure thing and there is no completion in sight, so I'll just see if I can find another substitute sound. Thanks for the responses.

fsxar177
June 18th, 2015, 15:40
Hi Folks,

The sounds were recorded by me in the Peter Teichman example Jumpin' Jacques out of North Weald.
2 Flights were made and a mix of the best bits were edited to give what we have.
For the external recordings, Peter had just replaced an engine and invited me to go and record the run ups.
We only went to 3000 rpm and about 40" so the rest is poetic licence.

I have to admit that I do have a big bass woofer in the system, which is my preference, so if we do an update
it will be with the bass turned down to maybe give you more bottom end.

You can't please all of the people, but to my ear, turn up the volume.... it is pretty close!

At the moment currently working on a certain Allison engine with a rather strange gear noise!

Happy Landings!
Albert
www.warbirdsim.com (http://www.warbirdsim.com)

Thanks Albert!

I LOVE the interior.. Really, can't be improved. I think what's lacking mostly in the exterior, is the bass, and addition of 3d Cone FSX native sounds.

- Joseph

WarHorse47
March 7th, 2016, 17:50
I was doing some research again on P-51 sounds and came across this old thread. Anybody have any info on where this effort went??