PDA

View Full Version : Menasco Sounds???

Mick
January 27th, 2009, 17:24
:help: Does anyone know of a sound set for the Menasco Pirate in-line engine, as used on planes like the Granville Brothers Gee Bee Sportsters :ques: :ques:

David and I are working (slowly) on a set of Granville Brothers Gee Bee Sportsters and some of them were powered by Menascos.

OBIO
January 27th, 2009, 18:00
Being an inverted inline 4, the closest I could imagine that is readily available is the Tiger Moth package by Mike Hambly (Blue Arrow)....the Tiger Moth used the Gipsy Moth, which is also an inverted inline 4. The Canadian built Tiger Moths, once the war began, did use the California built Menasco Pirates as getting the engines from Britian to Canada became quite a risky undertaking.

OBIO

Mick
January 31st, 2009, 04:42
Being an inverted inline 4, the closest I could imagine that is readily available is the Tiger Moth package by Mike Hambly (Blue Arrow)....the Tiger Moth used the Gipsy Moth, which is also an inverted inline 4. The Canadian built Tiger Moths, once the war began, did use the California built Menasco Pirates as getting the engines from Britian to Canada became quite a risky undertaking.

OBIO

Thanks for a good idea!

Now we'll have to see if we can get permission to use some Tiger Moth sounds, or just recommend that the end user download them themselves.

BTW, check out my laters reply in your GW thread..

NAMBUS
January 31st, 2009, 15:37
Bill Lyons included a very nice set in his Ryan STA package.
He may also be able to help you with permission to use them if they are suitable.
File name is ccryan4.zip on flightsim.com if you want to have a look.

Mick
February 1st, 2009, 14:19
Bill Lyons included a very nice set in his Ryan STA package.
He may also be able to help you with permission to use them if they are suitable.
File name is ccryan4.zip on flightsim.com if you want to have a look.

I should've thought of that, since Bill's STA has been a favorite of mine since it was released.

Permission is a problem though. Bill Lyons seems to be incommunicado. Some time ago, shortly after his retirement from FS development, I tried to contact him for permission to use a file of his in the Old Rhinebeck AI+ Package, and he never got back to me. I know a couple others who also wrote to him for permissions on things and he never replied.

Under the circumstances I guess we'll release the plane with the Gipsy Major sound set, and put a note in the ReadMe about substituting the STA sounds if the user wants to do so.

First, though, I have to paint the planes, so they won't be released for a while yet. When they're ready there will be a Model D in-line Sportster, a Model E radial Sportster, a Model Y Senior Sportster and a Model C8 Eightster, the never-finished Gee Bee airliner.