PDA

View Full Version : ME 323 Giant

Curtis P40
February 1st, 2015, 11:22
I give...anybody got an idea on what is going on here ?http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19056&stc=1

burcham8
February 1st, 2015, 12:17
I'm not quite sure, but it seems highly likely to me that the fellow on the service vehicle is not nearly as close as he might appear at first glance. I mean the props were probably at least eight feet in diameter. It looks like he is holding something up to the underside of the motor; but I think it's forced perspective.

Marc

Shessi
February 2nd, 2015, 07:24
Possibly either a carb de-icer spray, used on start-up to stop ice formation at low carb temps. Or an enriching mixture to aide cold starting. It is being sprayed into the engine/carb intake.

And what looks like barbed-wire around the rear of the vehicle is possibly a straw insulation jacket to stop the fluid inside from freezing?

Cheers

Shessi

stansdds
February 3rd, 2015, 01:57
I think it was some sort of de-icing solution. The Me-323 was an interesting bird, originally designed as a glider, then redesigned for powered flight for use in the planned invasion of England.

hubbabubba
February 3rd, 2015, 22:10
Have a look HERE (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Messerschmitt_Me_323?uselang=en).

The second, third and fourth pictures, starting from the top left, are telling a story; the Me 323 has succeeded in starting engines #2-4-5-6, but number one and three are still stopped. They are all dated 1943 and described as being taken in Russia (Russland), which would place the event depicted during the airlift to help encircled Wermacht troops at Stalingrad. The last photo of the group shows a ground crew, standing on top of the same truck, trying to pry open the oil pan of #1 Gnome-Rhône 14N engine, most certainly to heat or dilute the oil.

I would think that the tank contains hot water that is being used to melt the ice to facilitate the job. The tank itself is isolated with large sisal or jute cables.

Not a sure thing though, but an educated guess.:encouragement: