PDA

View Full Version : What was the most importnt pre-war developement in military aviaion?

Cowboy1968
January 27th, 2009, 07:36
My last question brought siome great answers, so I thought I would try again.

My thoughts on this line of study is the constant speed propeller, which allowed the pilot to set the RPM of the prop allowing for a more efferent use of horsepower. This was accomplished using hydraulics (oil) feed to the prop blades through a constant speed governor to alter the pitch of the blades allowing them to get the best bite in the air. The governor would change the amount of oil as horsepower from the engine was raised or lowered. This would keep the prop spinning at the desired RPM set by the pilot. This allowed the engine to be used in its most fuel economic settings. This type of prop was first manufactured by Curtiss Electric.

Yes there were other ways and other methods used that could accomplish the same thing the constant speed propeller could, one being the variable pitch propeller. this is where the pilot can set the pitch of the blades, also by hydraulics. This type of prop can allow the pilot of an aircraft to reverse the thrust of the blades applying the power of the prop to back a plane up while still maintaining a constant horsepower and speed on the prop shaft. This type of prop is generally found on the big propliner passenger planes of the 1950's, but it was invented in 1933 by Hamilton Standard. One of the problems with the first variable pitch props was that when the pilot changed horsepower in the engine he also had to make sure and reset the pitch of the blades to the desired RPM.

This lead to most Military aircraft of the time using the constant speed props as opposed to the variable pitch propeller. Less worries for the pilot.

Though by the 1950's both Cortiss Electric and Hamilton Standard had propellers on the market that allowed for both constant speed control over the blades and the ability to reverse the thrust of the engines. Again these prop were used on airliners and larger military aircraft like the B-36, C-74 transport and ships of the kind.

Rami
January 27th, 2009, 08:54
What about the mechanical fuel injection used in Germany's Daimler-Benz engines?

Pen32Win
January 27th, 2009, 09:06
Stressed Metal Skin Airframes....

Shadow Wolf 07
January 27th, 2009, 10:51
Reliable parachutes

Collin
January 27th, 2009, 11:05
RADAR

While it may not have been part of the AC, its effect was devastating:woot:

regards Collin:ernae:

bearcat241
January 27th, 2009, 11:52
My nominees:

Retractable gear... probably did more for agility, range and ground maintenance than most any other innovation in these areas.

Autopilot...lowered fatigue on long flights

Carrier arresting gear...saved a lot of bacon...and hardware

Self-sealing fuel tanks...need i say more about it

And the greatest of all....the aircraft carrier, still the undisputed champion of the high seas and the ultimate symbol of globally extended military airpower

Irwin Forrester
January 27th, 2009, 13:37
What about the mono-plane, daihedral wing design, power assisted flaps and the norden bomb sight:welcome:

huub vink
January 27th, 2009, 13:57
I'm with Pen32Win on this one. However I can agree with Irwin as well, however although a great invention and extremely useful, I don't think the Norden bomb sight contributed to aviation ;).

Next to all thinkgs already mentioned I think radio communication and navigation contributed a lot to avaition.

Cheers,
Huub

Hern07
January 27th, 2009, 18:18
I'm not used to thinking, my head hurts. :crybaby: I cast my vote for turbo supercharging.

Cowboy1968
January 27th, 2009, 22:49
Well we have covered many of the things that made the planes during WW2 great aircraft, but i am surprised that some developments have not been mentioned yet.

The first that comes to mind is the turbojet engine developed in the 1930's by two separate men doing independent research. Frank Whittle in the United Kingdom and Hans von Ohain in Germany. Their work lead to a break through in speed and altitude improvements that just couldn't be matched by a prop plane.

Next, the development of the wind tunnel facilities all around the world. The largest facility was set up in the US at would become Langley Army Airfield (AKA Langley Air Force Base) in the US. Before WW2 this facility would have 8 separate air tunnels that were able to produce air flow as low as a light breeze to tunnels that could produce wind strong enough to simulate 700-800 mph airspeed. This facility was ran by NACA (National Advisory Committee on Aviation). This agency would eventually become NASA.

These wind tunnels at the NACA facility eventually gave rise to better airfoils. One of these airfoil experiments lead to laminar flow wings. These types of wings were to be found on the P-51 Mustang, the P-63 Kingcobra and even America's first jet, the P-59 Airacomet.

Pen32Win
January 28th, 2009, 00:35
I agree that all of the things listed here advanced Aviation to a great extent. Though I don't think many of them would have worked very well without the development of Stressed Metal Skinned Aircraft Frames to put them in and on. Canvas just wouldn't cut the mustard for most of the stuff listed..

A Canvas skinned Aircraft in that 700-800MPH wind tunnel would be entertaining for sure. You could sell tickets to that show.
Dr. Destructo's World of Wind...:costumes:

To put it in automotive terms, A Top Fuel Drag Engine and a AMC Gremlin Frame = Twisted up uncontrolable missle = Splat!
Same thing goes for Aircraft but gravity will give you a bigger splat...:costumes:

That's why I gave the answer I did. You've got to have the proper frame that will handle the size, weight and stresses involved with all of the advanced mechanical systems that followed.

Rami
January 30th, 2009, 06:41
At Cowboy's request, this thread has been closed.