PDA

View Full Version : A question about reducing the number of paints per aircraft.

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2015, 10:44
I, like most of SOH members, have a lot of aircraft in my FSX-O, FSX-S, and P3D inventories. Generally, I may only use 2 or 3 of the many possible paints for most of them.

This question has probably been answered before, but I've not really understood how to proceed.

With so many paints for most models, how can I delete the ones I KNOW I will never select? I don't see a reason to back them up, or store on a different drive, etc..., when they are simply not needed (by me, anyway).

Keeping in mind you are dealing with an old Chief, and kindly explain how to do this? Thanks! NC :encouragement:

andersel
January 18th, 2015, 11:21
Chief - I fly in FS9, but I don't imagine that things are very much, if at all, different in FSX. When I want to "remove" a paintjob from one of my aircraft it is a simple two step editing process. 1. delete the paint that you want gone from the aircraft cfg. 2. renumber the remaining cfg. entries so that they are in the proper numerical order. Done! If/when I do this I normally just leave the .texture in question in place, on the off chance that I might want to use it again.

Hope this works for you.

LA

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2015, 12:20
Chief - I fly in FS9, but I don't imagine that things are very much, if at all, different in FSX. When I want to "remove" a paintjob from one of my aircraft it is a simple two step editing process. 1. delete the paint that you want gone from the aircraft cfg. 2. renumber the remaining cfg. entries so that they are in the proper numerical order. Done! If/when I do this I normally just leave the .texture in question in place, on the off chance that I might want to use it again.

Hope this works for you.

LA

Thanks LA, easy enough to understand. The question I have about not deleting, but letting those textures remain; doesn't that take up a lot of hard drive space, overall? I mean, if I know there's no way I would choose anything other than a USN paint for a A-4 Skyhawk (for example), wouldn't that free up a lot of hd space, overall? NC

falcon409
January 18th, 2015, 12:27
Thanks LA, easy enough to understand. The question I have about not deleting, but letting those textures remain; doesn't that take up a lot of hard drive space, overall? I mean, if I know there's no way I would choose anything other than a USN paint for a A-4 Skyhawk (for example), wouldn't that free up a lot of hd space, overall? NC
Pete, I know when I get an airplane, that at best I might keep two or three out of the twenty some people include with their models. I delete the livery and remove it's info from the cfg file. . .done. Yes it does free up HD space if you have a lot of airplanes that you plan to "trim down". Also quite a few have two or three "models variations". . .I remember some that had even more than that. when I delete liveries, I also look to see what models that might eliminate and those are gone as well. . .I don't care about subtle differences in models. I get the airplane to fly, not because one has chrome trim around the windows and another is powder coated, lol.

Ferry_vO
January 18th, 2015, 12:37

In FsX just deleting the appropriate texture folder is enough, the entry won't show up in the sim without a texture folder present. No need to edit the aircraft.cfg!

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2015, 13:45
In FsX just deleting the appropriate texture folder is enough, the entry won't show up in the sim without a texture folder present. No need to edit the aircraft.cfg!

Haven't tried this method yet, but won't this cause error pop ups upon booting FSX? NC

Jafo
January 18th, 2015, 13:49
That's correct, however some aircraft share texture folders so not every 'texture' can be removed with impunity without checking the config files.
Ideally they should reference 'texture.common' or similar, but it's not uncommon to have a fallback to another separate folder...or even another aircraft entry entirely.
Bottom line....check first...;)

racartron
January 18th, 2015, 14:14
Most simple method around is to tweak the aircraft.cfg file by adding "//" in front of the texture livery call out.
Like so Texture=n4453T changed to texture=//n4453T.
FSX Will ignore the entry but you can add it back anytime you want by deleting the "//".

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2015, 15:03
Most simple method around is to tweak the aircraft.cfg file by adding "//" in front of the texture livery call out.
Like so Texture=n4453T changed to texture=//n4453T.
FSX Will ignore the entry but you can add it back anytime you want by deleting the "//".

So if if it is a texture I know I will not use, simply add the // in front of the texture livery listed in the cfg file. Simple enough. Still, am thinking that, over all, deleting those uneeded texture folders would free up a significant amount of space. NC

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2015, 15:05
Although there are a lot of programs that allow for management of FSX files, I do not recall one that specifically will tailor which texture files are associated with a model, to include cfg file editing, and deletion of unwanted texture folders. NC

WarHorse47
January 18th, 2015, 17:33
Chief, I'm trying to understand the issue you've raised.

If you want to remove some textures, just delete them and edit your aircraft.cfg by removing the corresponding [fltsim] entries and renumbering the remainder.

There are utilities like ACA2007 Light from AI Flight Support (http://aifs.pvdveen.net/)that can be used to check the aircraft.cfg for errors - like a missing texture folder.

falcon409
January 18th, 2015, 17:39
Chief, I'm trying to understand the issue you've raised.
If you want to remove some textures, just delete them and edit your aircraft.cfg by removing the corresponding [fltsim] entries and renumbering the remainder.
There are utilities like ACA2007 Light from AI Flight Support (http://aifs.pvdveen.net/)that can be used to check the aircraft.cfg for errors - like a missing texture folder.
Yea, it seems pretty cut and dried here. . .if you won't use them any more delete them. These other suggestions are fine, but the quickest, simplest, most obvious is to delete them, renumber the remaining liveries and get back to flying.

Lane Street
January 18th, 2015, 18:02
If you are looking for a tool to do this with, you might take a look at the AI-Aircraft Editor- http://www.owlsnest.eu/tools.php

I think it will do what you wnt except for the actual deleting of the texture files.

Due respect, if you are deleting texture folders because you are out of hard drive space, you need a new hard drive.

cheers,
Lane

PS. the tool works for user planes too, not just AI

WarHorse47
January 18th, 2015, 18:25
Some additional suggestions (cautions) with FSX.

Before you delete any texture folders, I would relocate them first to another location before actual deletion - in case one needs to be reinstalled.

I would then edit the aircraft.cfg file and maybe load the Select Aircraft menu to make sure everything shows as expected.

With the remaining folders I would also check the texture.cfg files to make sure the remaining texture folders are not referencing any of the folders you want to delete.

Kinda sounds like I've "been there, done that" doesn't it..

Navy Chief
January 18th, 2015, 18:39
With the remaining folders I would also check the texture.cfg files to make sure the remaining texture folders are not referencing any of the folders you want to delete.

Yep, it is this step that somewhat confuses me, and why I've been hesitant to do this:dizzy: NC

WarHorse47
January 18th, 2015, 19:23
Yep, it is this step that somewhat confuses me, and why I've been hesitant to do this:dizzy: NCWhich is why you backup everything before you start. You can make a copy of the entire aircraft folder for insurance, then make the changes until you get familiar with the various aspects of removing the individual textures. If you screw up, you restore the folder. Great thing about FSX is that you learn as you go.

expat
January 19th, 2015, 01:22
I tend not to delete textures (which mount up on HD space I admit). However, like others I usually narrow down to 1-3 paints I like best and keep active. The trick I learned here - even easier than having to renumber the air.cfg - is simply to add a "minus" sign next to the panel entry on the paints you want to disapply, i.e., panel=-, or panel.2-. This removes all these extra paints from the boot up of FSX and keeps your aircraft main menu nice and short.

padburgess
January 19th, 2015, 01:25
Hi Navy Chief

Try this application at Flightsim.com
Dave Nunez's Repaint Manager X. It shows your aircraft listing of paints and allows you to select and delete those you don't want. It will either delete the cfg entry and leave the texture folder or delete both the cfg entry and texture folder.
I use it all the time and have never had a problem.

FSX - FSX Utilities
FSX RepaintManagerX

Name: repaintmanagerx_1_01.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=145305)
Size: 1,413,884 Date: 04-06-2010 Downloads: 3,205

Regards
Paul

Navy Chief
January 19th, 2015, 03:48
Hi Navy Chief

Try this application at Flightsim.com
Dave Nunez's Repaint Manager X. It shows your aircraft listing of paints and allows you to select and delete those you don't want. It will either delete the cfg entry and leave the texture folder or delete both the cfg entry and texture folder.
I use it all the time and have never had a problem.

FSX - FSX Utilities
FSX RepaintManagerX

Name: repaintmanagerx_1_01.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=145305)
Size: 1,413,884 Date: 04-06-2010 Downloads: 3,205

Regards
Paul

Will take a look at that Paul; had never heard of it. Thanks! NC

falcon409
January 19th, 2015, 04:44
Was also going to give that a try but it has it's limitations. In my case I only have the default aircraft in the Aircraft folder the rest are divided into sub-folders by type and this program has no way to search those sub-folders.

ejoiner
January 19th, 2015, 04:44
I, like most of SOH members, have a lot of aircraft in my FSX-O, FSX-S, and P3D inventories. Generally, I may only use 2 or 3 of the many possible paints for most of them.

This question has probably been answered before, but I've not really understood how to proceed.

With so many paints for most models, how can I delete the ones I KNOW I will never select? I don't see a reason to back them up, or store on a different drive, etc..., when they are simply not needed (by me, anyway).

Keeping in mind you are dealing with an old Chief, and kindly explain how to do this? Thanks! NC :encouragement:

Really all you have to do is remove the entry from the aircraft.cfg and renumber the remaining entries in sequence. Then up to you as to whether you leave the texture file for a rainy day, or just delete it to free space. I have to do this periodically myself. I really only need a handful of A-4 and A-7 skins but I probably have 25 of the suckers. So much good work!

DaveB
January 19th, 2015, 10:24
An easier way to 'not see' paints you don't want is to add 'n after the panel in the aircraft.cfg.. eg panel=n. If a paint has a defined panel (eg panel=1.. just change it to panel=n //1.. it will read the n and nothing after the // but you'll still know which panel the paint used. If you want to use the paint again.. just remove the n;) Works for me.

ATB
DaveB:)

Naismith
January 19th, 2015, 10:59
Can I just point out that it is often necessary, especially if you are running FSX (or the variants) whilst editing out the repaints, to go into

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Si mObjects

and delete the entry for the a/c you are editing otherwise this can cause issues within the sim. i.e. it is looking for a texture within that file and cannot find the entry which results in a blank texture or sometimes even freezes up the sim.

That directory is hidden normally and you will have to unhide it.

You cannot do any damage to the sim in deleting entries here as it is rebuilt every time the select aircraft screen is clicked upon. In fact you may well ind aircraft you have deleted previously still have basic entries lurking here clogging up resources.

Lane Street
January 19th, 2015, 11:36
Can I just point out that it is often necessary, especially if you are running FSX (or the variants) whilst editing out the repaints, to go into

C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Si mObjects

and delete the entry for the a/c you are editing otherwise this can cause issues within the sim. i.e. it is looking for a texture within that file and cannot find the entry which results in a blank texture or sometimes even freezes up the sim.

That directory is hidden normally and you will have to unhide it.

You cannot do any damage to the sim in deleting entries here as it is rebuilt every time the select aircraft screen is clicked upon. In fact you may well ind aircraft you have deleted previously still have basic entries lurking here clogging up resources.

The only info stored in those folders is the engine run time and any changes you have made to the reg number in the plane selection GUI.

No harm in deleting them except all of your Hobbs meters will be reset to 0.

Those folders have nothing to do with texture usage and are irrelevant to this conversation.

cheers,
Lane

Naismith
January 19th, 2015, 14:47
The only info stored in those folders is the engine run time and any changes you have made to the reg number in the plane selection GUI.

No harm in deleting them except all of your Hobbs meters will be reset to 0.

Those folders have nothing to do with texture usage and are irrelevant to this conversation.

cheers,
Lane

Entirely relevant, take some textures out of an aircraft you have flown with the texture. Then remove the texture and try reflying any aircraft of that same type but of another texture. You will find it all messed up.

Lane Street
January 19th, 2015, 15:35
Entirely relevant, take some textures out of an aircraft you have flown with the texture. Then remove the texture and try reflying any aircraft of that same type but of another texture. You will find it all messed up.

Not because of anything in the C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Si mObjects folder.

I have added and deleted hundreds of textures over the years and never had a problem caused by the state.cfg files in those folders.

If you had a problem, you did something else wrong.

cheers,
Lane

Obie311
January 22nd, 2015, 05:21
I tend not to delete textures (which mount up on HD space I admit). However, like others I usually narrow down to 1-3 paints I like best and keep active. The trick I learned here - even easier than having to renumber the air.cfg - is simply to add a "minus" sign next to the panel entry on the paints you want to disapply, i.e., panel=-, or panel.2-. This removes all these extra paints from the boot up of FSX and keeps your aircraft main menu nice and short.

Hmm... interesting. I've not tried this method. Does commenting out (//) the texture remove said aircraft from FSX boot up as well?

expat
January 22nd, 2015, 05:50
Hmm... interesting. I've not tried this method. Does commenting out (//) the texture remove said aircraft from FSX boot up as well?

Yes, but don't comment out (//) - could cause error messages - but simply add "-" or "n" or "anything" after each panel= " " and this will exclude it from boot up and your in game aircraft menu, i.e, it should I think be the same as taking the entire aircraft folder out of your simobjects/airplane folder.

Pepere
January 22nd, 2015, 06:42

I do almost the same thing only I use "Off" i.e. panel=Off Makes it easier to see. And, after checking, you can delete the texture file if you want and you don't have to edit the air.cfg numbering. Also, I think, lets FSX use it for AI if you leave the texture file.

David

DaveB
January 22nd, 2015, 07:23
Putting n after each panel= entry is all you have to do. Those paints will not show in 'Select Aircraft' but will still be available for use as AI. You don't need to delete anything.:encouragement:

ATB

Lane Street
January 22nd, 2015, 11:02
FWIW, any [fltsim.nn] section in any aircraft.cfg that points to a nonexistent folder will be treated by FSX as AI and will not show up in the plane selection window.

It doesn't matter what you put in the panel= line as long as there isn't a panel folder with that name in that airplane's folder.

Also, panel=//whatever is the same thing as panel=

FSX ignores everything after //, so that will not work in an airplane folder that has a folder named panel in it.

cheers,
Lane

DaveB
January 22nd, 2015, 13:05
Before this gets too complicated.. my mention early of using // was if a model had multiple panels.. eg panel=1, panel=, panel=2 e t c. Rather than just adding =n.. it's easier to name such entries as panel=n //1.. panel=n //2 e t c so if you want to go back to them at some point and can't remember which panel it had.. just delete the n // and Bob's your uncle. If a paint/model combination doesn't have a unique panel id.. then n will do.

There really isn't any need to over complicate what should be an easy task;)

ATB
DaveB

falcon409
January 22nd, 2015, 14:43
. . . . .There really isn't any need to over complicate what should be an easy task;)
ATB
DaveB

I agree and since his original question was "how do I get rid of repaints "I KNOW" I'll never select. . .the easiest is to simply delete them. All these others are fine if you intend to maybe go back to a few later, but he wants to be rid of them, gain a bit of extra HHD space and so, once again. . .simply delete them.

DaveB
January 23rd, 2015, 01:08
You're right Falcon and I apologise for missing that important point:encouragement: I'm not sure how many of us actually get 'short' of HD space these days but should I ever reach critical mass.. an instant saving would be to delete the unwanted paints;)

ATB

falcon409
January 23rd, 2015, 03:43
You're right Falcon and I apologise for missing that important point:encouragement: I'm not sure how many of us actually get 'short' of HD space these days but should I ever reach critical mass.. an instant saving would be to delete the unwanted paints;)
ATB
No apology necessary, I think it's a throwback to when HDD space was at a premium and deleting old files and defraging was even more of a necessity than it is now. I have three HDD's and well over a TB of free space combined and yet I still dump every livery I'll never use from any aircraft I purchase then defrag and optimize at the end of every week. When I used to fly Military almost exclusively, I would pick one loadout and one or two liveries and dump the other10 or so that would come with an airplane plus the models associated with those loadouts/liveries. Until TacPac came along most loadouts were nothing more than eye-candy that only I was ever going to see and I really didn't care much what was hanging under the wings and I only flew US assigned aircraft so all foreign AF liveries were gone as well. . .I was just interested in flying that Jet. Anyway I just got into the habit of deleting all the irrelevant "eye-candy" and keeping the HDD's "junk free", lol