PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Way.....???

Devildog73
January 16th, 2015, 06:10
I have placed the volcano on the deck of BPF carriers hit by kamikaze aircraft after the fact.

In other words, I start missions after the impact with player aircraft as CAP already in the air.

It is pretty impressive looking, actually.

In order to do this though, I have to slow the carrier to 1 knot or all stop, which was not the case for BPF carriers.
They kind of shrugged their shoulders, put out the fires, cared for the wounded, evacuated the remains of their dead and continued the missions at speed.

Is there a way to make the smoke from the volcano move with the ship?

I have tried reducing the health of the carriers and it doesn't produce the smoke I want. Plus, it is also not accurate for BPF carriers.

On one mission I have aircraft in the air or landing on sister carriers until the fires are extinguished on their home carriers.

It would be nice to have the black smoke move with the carriers in formation with the fleet.

UncleTgt
January 16th, 2015, 06:45
Hi DD,

Just thinking out loud, but the wake effect is called for in the dp dile, so if you created an extra line in that section & called for the volcano effect (positioned accordingly), I think it would move with the ship?

Wayland
January 16th, 2015, 07:45
Guys,

I seem to remember a burning ship effect from some years back, maybe from Nibbio? I don't have access to my storage drive right now, but I will look later. I think it was for a tanker, so it should resemble a volcano erupting.

Steve

UncleTgt
January 16th, 2015, 12:53
DD,

I tried it, & it works. If you think the volcano is too big, you could try some of the other burning oil type effects, they'll work in the same way.
Personally I think this is a better method than the updated BOBs vehicle volcano object in this instance.
The vehicle object method has the advantage of being spawned during the mission, but then the vehicle path must match the course & speed of the vessel.
This method stays with the ship all the time, but stays on from the moment the ship first appears in the mission.

Devildog73
January 16th, 2015, 16:42
DD,

I tried it, & it works. If you think the volcano is too big, you could try some of the other burning oil type effects, they'll work in the same way.
Personally I think this is a better method than the updated BOBs vehicle volcano object in this instance.
The vehicle object method has the advantage of being spawned during the mission, but then the vehicle path must match the course & speed of the vessel.
This method stays with the ship all the time, but stays on from the moment the ship first appears in the mission.

Yes, I tried it also and it works nicely.

Here is what I did and need guidance on putting the fire on the deck. I don't know what the numbers mean.

I took the stack numbers and put the volcano under the lowest stack numbers.

[EXTRA.0]
location=0,0,120.6
effect=fx_wake_l

[EXTRA.1]
location=0,0,-109.3
effect=fx_stern_l

[EXTRA.2]
location=12,31,3.5
effect=fx_smokestack_w

[EXTRA.3]
location=12,31,9.5
effect=fx_smokestack

[EXTRA.4]
location=0,0,120.6
effect=fx_bow_m

[EXTRA.5]
location=12,31,1.5
effect=fx_volcano

Kind of looks like the photos I have seen.

Your thoughts?

Blood_Hawk23
January 16th, 2015, 17:13
DD do you have DPed?

these are the locations in meters.

--first number is Left/Right "-" is left 0 is center.

--next number is height 0 is center or ground/water level and again "-" is below.

--last number is Forward/backwards, 0 is center "-" is backwards.

[EXTRA.5]
location=12,31,1.5
effect=fx_volcano

so your location is 12m starboard, 31m high, 1.5m forward. this may not be the spot you want.

also try one of these effects

fx_engfire_l
fx_engsmoke
fx_fireball_l
fx_gasfire_l
fx_ship_l

If you use DPed you can add the extra location and see it in the blue print.

Devildog73
January 16th, 2015, 18:34
Yes,
I have DPED121 in my external storage HD.

I will give it a try.

Also, after seeing the volcano, I am not sure the other effects will be anywhere close to what the ships actually looked like.

The volcano looks pretty accurate.

Blood_Hawk23
January 16th, 2015, 19:19
Yes,

I will give it a try.

Also, after seeing the volcano, I am not sure the other effects will be anywhere close to what the ships actually looked like.

I think it will work for the larger capital ships. It will work very well for the carriers.

UncleTgt
January 17th, 2015, 11:47
Yes,

I will give it a try.

Lee, agree for the most part, but it's bit excessive if some time has passed since the strike ("sweepers, man your brooms!"), or there has been a glancing blow :monkies:

Can a Carrier outmanoeuvre a diving Zero? In the right hands, you betcha!

http://www.armouredcarriers.com/hms-victorious-kamikaze

Another effects I've seen (made for Sully's barges IIRC)

fx_burningoil_XXL

Devildog73
January 17th, 2015, 13:02
I am going to play around with the effects Blood_Hawk suggested and see what the different smoke effects look like to my returning aircraft.

I have to temper my views in light of UK metal decks versus the USN wood decks, though, the website you gave me does talk about Admiral Rawlings being able to see the smoke from the carriers from his position near Miyako Jima.

That tells me there was a lot of fuel burning on that metal flight deck.

Blood_Hawk23
January 17th, 2015, 13:56
I am going to play around with the effects Blood_Hawk suggested and see what the different smoke effects look like to my returning aircraft.

I have to temper my views in light of UK metal decks versus the USN wood decks, though, the website you gave me does talk about Admiral Rawlings being able to see the smoke from the carriers from his position near Miyako Jima.

That tells me there was a lot of fuel burning on that metal flight deck.

To see the results of a fire on a more modern carrier, with an armored deck, look at footage of the USS Forrestal.

Granted not the same class of ship. Though the results of fuel and ordnance on fire would be about the same.