PDA

View Full Version : Good tweaks for P3D

Dumonceau
January 15th, 2015, 11:55
Hello,

I've recently switched to P3D after years of tweaking FSX and never being happy with the results. So I ditched FSX. Running P3D v2.4 now.

Could anyone tell me about or point me to the good tweaks for FSX please? FPS don't seem to be a problem, but I do find I have the blurries sometimes.

Here are the specs of my rig:

MSI P67A-GD65 Motherboard
i7 2600K running at 4.3 Ghz
8 Gb of RAM @1600 Mhz
EVGA GTX970 factory superclocked with 4 Gb
P3D on a ozx SSD (same as Windows and other apps)

I've already explored some of the better known FSX tweaks, but none seem to work in the same way.

Thanks a million in advance!

Dumonceau

roger-wilco-66
January 15th, 2015, 12:16
There's a thread at LM about some tweaks referring to FPS and blurries. I tried it with positive results.

See

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/how-to-get-a-40-fps-increase-in-p3d/

Cheers,
Mark

Dumonceau
January 15th, 2015, 22:52
There's a thread at LM about some tweaks referring to FPS and blurries. I tried it with positive results.

See

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/how-to-get-a-40-fps-increase-in-p3d/

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks Mark!

Daube
January 16th, 2015, 05:31
Basically, putting tweaks in the P3D.cfg is not such a good idea.
You might try that TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT value increase if you want, you might get a small performance increase, but you should also expect some graphic corruption, just like what happens in FSX.

The only tweak that was worth testing, for me, was the pop_free_autogen (I'm using P3D 2.3 only, I have never found the courage to install the 2.4 patch).
With *some* very dense/detailled sceneries, the new P3D autogen can become very heavy on the FPS. There are some rare situation where P3D would perform worse than FSX.
When setting the pop_free_autogen to zero in the P3D.cfg, you force it to reuse the old FSX autogen system (with which you can spot the autogen objects popping in while getting closer).
It's uglier, but it's also much lighter on the FPS if your video card is a bit old (like mine, I have a GTX480).

falcon409
January 16th, 2015, 06:39
Yea, I am of the same opinion. . .I'm running V2.4 after running just the patch. It was the first patch update I'd done and it went perfectly and I haven't made any changes/tweaks. On my system, which is a less than optimum system I get an average of 30fps with most sliders to the right of center and quite a few maxed. That's also running the HDR Lighting, Tesselation (a must) and shadows, especially the cloud shadows which are very cool. You can find folks who still swear by certain tweaks but I haven't found any need to touch the cfg file at all and it's the best Sim I've ever seen.

Naismith
January 16th, 2015, 11:08
I am wondering if anyone uses the "Pseudo Full Screen" program. I use it successfully in FSX running DX10 as I find FSX more stable with it and I benefit from better fps with no screen tearing. Plus it frees up a second screen for a moving map like Plan G and /or FS Commander which is nice.
I mention this as I seem to have a lot of unexplained crashes in P3D (it just vanishes with no explanation or warnings), sometimes immediately after the sim boots up. Running with 2 screens if this is the problem would be a pain every time having to go into the Nv settings and switching off dual display. Alt and Enter without doing so sometimes causes a crash anyway. It's a damnable thing this simming business. :dizzy: At the moment my P3D is virgin ('cept for the payware FSUIPC) and this constant instability is the one thing that keeps me using FSX.

Anyone?

falcon409
January 16th, 2015, 13:05
I am wondering if anyone uses the "Pseudo Full Screen" program. I use it successfully in FSX running DX10 as I find FSX more stable with it and I benefit from better fps with no screen tearing. Plus it frees up a second screen for a moving map like Plan G and /or FS Commander which is nice.
I mention this as I seem to have a lot of unexplained crashes in P3D (it just vanishes with no explanation or warnings), sometimes immediately after the sim boots up. Running with 2 screens if this is the problem would be a pain every time having to go into the Nv settings and switching off dual display. Alt and Enter without doing so sometimes causes a crash anyway. It's a damnable thing this simming business. :dizzy: At the moment my P3D is virgin ('cept for the payware FSUIPC) and this constant instability is the one thing that keeps me using FSX.

Anyone?
I had to go search "pseudo full screen" just to see what that is. . .never heard of it before. I might try it sometime although the window mode bar doesn't bother me really. Anyway. . .just something to check, do you have "Tessellation" checked in the P3D setup window? That has been the cause of similar problems in the past and actually needs to be checked as it opens up the graphic card to handle all texture loading and frees up the CPU for other sim tasks.

Naismith
January 16th, 2015, 18:16
Thanks I will experiment with tessellations. I had changed nothing from a fresh install so I don't know if it is on or not.

Dumonceau
January 18th, 2015, 05:25
I had to go search "pseudo full screen" just to see what that is. . .never heard of it before. I might try it sometime although the window mode bar doesn't bother me really. Anyway. . .just something to check, do you have "Tessellation" checked in the P3D setup window? That has been the cause of similar problems in the past and actually needs to be checked as it opens up the graphic card to handle all texture loading and frees up the CPU for other sim tasks.

Falcon,

How high is your tessalation set at? i checked my cfg file and it is at 85.

But IMHO, I should not be experiencing these problems as my rig should be able to handle it.

Well, this being a whole new ball game, it is also a new learning curve! Seems to me that things are handled compeletely differently than with FSX...

Dumonceau

falcon409
January 18th, 2015, 06:37
Falcon,

How high is your tessalation set at? i checked my cfg file and it is at 85.
But IMHO, I should not be experiencing these problems as my rig should be able to handle it.
Well, this being a whole new ball game, it is also a new learning curve! Seems to me that things are handled compeletely differently than with FSX...
Dumonceau
Actually I have no idea what it's set at, I'll have to look (set at 1, which means it's active). I just made sure it was checked so that the option for the graphics card to handle all texture loading was active. Also, nothing works like FSX....you can basically take everything you did with FSX and throw it out the window.

Dumonceau
January 18th, 2015, 07:16
Actually I have no idea what it's set at, I'll have to look (set at 1, which means it's active). I just made sure it was checked so that the option for the graphics card to handle all texture loading was active. Also, nothing works like FSX....you can basically take everything you did with FSX and throw it out the window.

Thanks for the reply Falcon! The value of tesselation can be found in the P3D.cfg!

Johan

falcon409
January 18th, 2015, 08:26
Thanks for the reply Falcon! The value of tesselation can be found in the P3D.cfg!
Johan
Yes, there are 2 settings for Tessellation"0" for off, or "1" for on (under [GRAPHICS]). . . .and a "Tessellation Factor" (under [TERRAIN]) which mine is set to 90.

Dumonceau
January 18th, 2015, 09:20
Yes, there are 2 settings for Tessellation"0" for off, or "1" for on (under [GRAPHICS]). . . .and a "Tessellation Factor" (under [TERRAIN]) which mine is set to 90.

Ah ok! Thanks Falcon!!