PDA

View Full Version : Leaving SOH for good(and why)

StormILM
January 6th, 2015, 14:22
Sorry to say, I am leaving SOH for good. Reason why, I just got done writing a carefully crafted and very civil response to my thread regarding the F-35 report only to at the very end of typing and hitting the post button to get a message the thread was closed. So I just wasted 30+ minutes of my time for absolutely nothing!!! Yes, there was a bit of debate going on with that but to be very blunt, the hair trigger moderation here sometimes is just a bit too jumpy to kill discussion(yes, even ones that are a "little" contentious at times). Debate is not an unhealthy thing so long as people do not reduce it to name calling & such. Sorry, as much as I admire and respect many here in this community and all that many put into it for our enjoyment of Flight Simulation and Aviation Topics, the time has come for me to move on and I'll leave it at that.

Take care all, StormILM logging off for the last time....

Roger
January 6th, 2015, 15:17
Well Storm,

The "hair trigger moderation" as you know was down to me. Other members in your thread were continuing a fight that had previously started in another thread and it was turning uncivil. So I did as I always did and will do in future, to quash those disputes so members can see in the cold light of day that their dispute was unnecessary. This I believe is preferable to issuing short term or permanent bannings, with which I hope you agree. I believe that careful and considered moderation has kept this collection of forums, one of the most civil and respectful on the net.

It is unfortunate that your missive found the thread closed and if you pm me with the reply you wished to post, I will include it in the closed thread.

Kind regards,

Roger.

ColoKent
January 6th, 2015, 15:23
Storm...you can't beat Roger's offer-- very decent, I think. I'd take him him up on it, and move forward-- with SOH.

Just my .02 cents....course, I enjoy your musings!

Kent

Anthin
January 6th, 2015, 16:36
Please reconsider Storm.

Anthin.

TARPSBird
January 6th, 2015, 16:51
Storm, please consider Roger's offer and come back to the crew.

Meshman
January 6th, 2015, 17:37
Isn't it funny how a little computer game can bring out the drama queen in all of us?

What's the Golden Rule about forums? Don't discuss religion or politics. Seems so gosh darn simple to me.

I come here for a computer game and the entertaining value that it has. Then I'm confronted with "people and their agendas" syndrome. And heaven forbid that a moderator might try to rein things back into this place being a forum about computer games. Oh, the drama and how it turns so many (too many!) into little drama queens.

To the OP: If you want to leave, goodbye. Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your final way out. I hope you will find some place where your agenda will be welcomed. No, I really don't care about that. But having one less middle aged "alpha male" drama queen to read their drivel from will be all right by me.

Bye, bye now! :wavey:

HorusJ
January 6th, 2015, 18:01
Well said Meshman,well said!:encouragement:

Now back to that thing called...uh...flightsim!

glh
January 6th, 2015, 18:22
Meshman: You're correct. As Truman said, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Also, folks, if these discussions are saved to the server(s), it just drives up the dollar costs over time.
Why retain a thread on the F-35 for years in the history files ?? Roger was right to cut it off.

I do believe we need to stop keeping argumentative threads in the historical archives unless we want to
continue to pay for the storage costs. Let the admins close them as they see fit and/or retain them for
no more than 30 days.

StormILM
January 6th, 2015, 20:29
Roger, I cannot and will not argue with you nor the mods of the forum about how you guys run the forum, in the end it's your decision & not mine and I will respect that even if there are things I might do different. I stated my opinion and stand by it. To add to both of our views on the matter, I agree that when things get edgy to downright ragged, you have to do something and having been a moderator not just in internet based forums, but in live debate forums(the latter over much of the last two decades), I have seen it all, finger pointing, shoving matches, fist fights, and have been literally the "crushed meat padding" between waring parties & individuals with differing views. How would I deal with inflammatory postings/posters on thread like I posted, I agree that there has to be a stop to such things but for me, culling out(editing) posts that are clearly "attacking/argumentative" are preferable to closing off posters who are actually offering true and valuable information. In regards to my post, the intent was never meant nor actually one of political nature, purely an objective point with actual technical discussion regarding a relevant point on the subject matter. No more, no less. Having worked in Aviation Maintenance/Ground Support over the years and being in a large family who've had careers in or related to Aviation(Civil and Military), I know all too well about false information & bad press which sadly too many folks buy into without having the means nor opportunity to receive true and/or explanatory followup information. It's a never ending battle and yes, sadly there's dirty politics of some sorts behind a lot of disinformation.

One final point on this thread, posts like the one above:

To the OP: If you want to leave, goodbye. Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your final way out. I hope you will find some place where your agenda will be welcomed. No, I really don't care about that. But having one less middle aged "alpha male" drama queen to read their drivel from will be all right by me.

Bye, bye now!

Quite frankly sir, I am no "Drama Queen" nor does the remainder of your belittling and standard-less comments deserve any further review or regard. My standards are much higher than that! I have no personal beefs with you and will not start now. Enough said.

So far as where I stand here now, I will take the advice of Roger and the other members who have taken a kind and objective position on the matter and I'll simply "cool off" for now. My purpose here has always been about the hobby we share and aviation related matters, sans personal or "other" agendas.

ColoKent
January 6th, 2015, 21:16
Thanks, Storm...Good to hear-- have a beer http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/icon29.gif and call it "good". As for a few of the follow-on comments-- not helpful or a representative reflection of the "SOH Attitude", IMHO. Out.

Kent

StormILM
January 6th, 2015, 23:11
Thanks, Storm...Good to hear-- have a beer :icon29: and call it "good". As for a few of the follow-on comments-- not helpful or a representative reflection of the "SOH Attitude", IMHO. Out.

Kent

Thanks for the comments and PM Kent, means a lot!

One other thing I forgot, I Apologize to ALL regarding my original post here. Just not the best of days, couple bits of good news followed by some gut checks after which I opened that thread by chance to see things had suddenly gotten into a ping-pong match of sorts. I began my headache influenced attempt at cooling some jets there by offering my own moderated counter points & bringing things back upwards a notch or two on the civility scale. Just as I finished writing my post(which got interrupted by real world events & phone calls), I hit the post button & saw the thread was locked. I didn't blow my top, I sat here a moment and just stared at the screen quietly irked I just typed all that and lost it when it didn't go in. So after that, I felt compelled to make this original post which BTW I violated one of my personal "Canons of conduct in Life" which is: When angry, count to 10. before you speak; if very angry, to 100.

Again, sorry guys......

Roger
January 7th, 2015, 04:10
Thanks Storm,

It takes a lot to apologise!
So welcome back:ernaehrung004:

gray eagle
January 7th, 2015, 05:24
To all concerned,

I too extend a Mea culpa for any transgressions that I may of caused.

From this fiasco, I think that I have learned to control my temperament and not let things get the best of me.

I extend well wishes all concerned :adoration:

Pax vobis

n4gix
January 7th, 2015, 08:32
...I felt compelled to make this original post which BTW I violated one of my personal "Canons of conduct in Life" which is: When angry, count to 10. before you speak; if very angry, to 100.
That's a wise suggestion. In many ways the old "bulletin board system" had one major advantage over the current web forums system. Given that one had to create their replies to threads while 'off-line' and only when completed call the local BBS to upload the new mail, it forced a certain amount of delay in actually commiting one's perhaps ill-chosen prose.

More than once I went back and either deleted or revised replies before sending the mail to my local BBS for further distribution. Of course when I ran my own BBS things were even simpler. :encouragement: