PDA

View Full Version : Conversions to FSX Troubles - Simple Fix I Hope?

Bookman1960
January 4th, 2015, 12:45
Gentlemen,

I've been successfully converting aircraft from older copies of FS and CFS2 into FSX (Acceleration SP2) -- with great success (after a bit of patience and tinkering mind you), but...

As one can see from my screenshots, I still occasionally find myself stymied. Case in point here: I converted the Iris Simulations Curtiss P-40 (Iris_Japanese_P-40.zip) in Japanese livery working just fine in FSX with the exception of the canopy glass (I think). Whats frustrating is that from inside it displays just fine. But outside...well, as can be seen...it's all black. I've already tried replacing the "glass" texture but still haven't cracked this nut. Anyone offer some suggestions?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17810&stc=1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17811&stc=1

falcon409
January 4th, 2015, 13:19
I don't have that airplane so I don't know what textures are in the texture folder but normally it's not so much replacing the texture as it is adjusting the alpha channels. For Glass it should be solid black to start (0,0,0). Then if you want to experiment you can lighten the alpha a bit to allow the glass to show more from the external view. If changing the alpha doesn't work, it's also possible that the external glass is controlled by a very small patch of color somewhere on the texture sheets. I've found some that were almost too small to notice and only found it by looking closely at all the textures.

Finally, if none of those renders any success, the only other possibility is that it's handled within the mdl file and could be corrected using the program MDLMat, which allows modifications to the materials used in the model and which is also a very hit and miss proposition as none of the materials are labeled.

Bookman1960
January 4th, 2015, 13:45
falcon409,

Thank you for the information. I suspected that last clue myself (the "little bit" somewhere that controls glass). I'll have to try and see what I can find.

Bookman

roger-wilco-66
January 4th, 2015, 14:01
You can open the model in ModelconvertX and mark the checkbox "show texture" in the texture editor to identify the texture that resembles the glass.
I say that because older models often use a large number of texture maps.
If it is a solid color (not a texture map, also often used in FS9 or earlier models) it's a bit more complicated. Don't know if MDLMAT can modify solid color values...

Cheers,
Mark