PDA

View Full Version : River "waves" @ Clive, Daniel and anyone else with ideas!

mongoose
January 2nd, 2015, 06:52
Looking at some of the pics here reminded me of one of my pet hates about CFS3 scenery: waves on the rivers!:redfire: I know Clive and I have had discussions on this a couple of years ago and maybe also Daniel. I've lost track of what we tried to do about it, if anything. This is particularly relevant at night when the "waves" really show up when they shouldn't be there at all.

gecko
January 2nd, 2015, 09:28
Do you mean shorelines? The next version of Ankor's shaders will keep it from being too bright at night, or if you aren't using them, my new environment effects also fix this. Just don't try to use them together.

But otherwise it's all or nothing in terms of shorelines, they're either everywhere, or you delete them and they're nowhere.

MajorMagee
January 2nd, 2015, 10:50
I believe he's referring to the surface animation that looks like waves. Without remapping them as streams the rivers, estuaries, and oceans are all treated the same.

gecko
January 2nd, 2015, 12:09
Oh, I see. This shouldn't be a factor at night, because with any of the newer work the water is dark. As for wave animation, Ankor and I were just discussing possibilities for having different water animations in different locations. So we may eventually see some improvement, but no guarantees of timeline as of yet.

Pat Pattle
January 3rd, 2015, 03:05
If I was involved I don't remember that discussion James :shame:. There is a way around it I'm sure, Bob Park would be the man to ask, he still pops by very occasionally.

mongoose
January 3rd, 2015, 06:20
I mean the shorelines; the white breakers; the waves in a river proper are not a real problem at night with altitude. Clive, I remember some discussion on the Thames a few years back. I will have to check out if I still have a record. Daniel, will check out your ideas when get home.

AnKor
January 3rd, 2015, 09:45
As for wave animation, Ankor and I were just discussing possibilities for having different water animations in different locations. So we may eventually see some improvement, but no guarantees of timeline as of yet.
It is relatively simple to change my shaders to draw different waves on rivers. I just need to run a few tests and someone needs to prepare a map similar to cfs3h2o.dds but I'm currently busy with the (not initially planned) addition of better sun glare effects which take more effort that I expected.

As for shorelines - it seems more difficult. It might be possible to use the same map and make my shaders reduce or even remove the shoreline on rivers, but I'm not sure. Otherwise there is no built-in way to tell the large river and sea/ocean apart in CFS3 code.

rocketred
January 3rd, 2015, 13:58
WHOEVER SIR ANKOR IS , has and is bringing in the final touches on cfs3 , with and for it masters the launching pad of a sim" that soon will have no

end to its growth ....and scenes and effects , hobbit i know will work well with and be a great elf , in his workshop ...soon i will be sending him another computer to work with , and hoping this will add to his working tools and help and add to the masters workload

so thank you sir ankor , from canada

and from around the world for keeping the memeories and effects and life alive from the men and women and civilains, of WW2

ankcor clap of thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Pat Pattle
January 3rd, 2015, 23:22
I mean the shorelines; the white breakers;

These are hard coded I think, although you can choose to have them displayed or not via the config.exe. Other than that it would be a case of modding the shoreline textures to provide a compromise twixt sea and rivers.

Some stuff we have to live with! ;0)

Old Tiger
January 4th, 2015, 16:29
:wavey:Hi Clive I just reinstalled BOB from ozs. Does it have a bdp zapper?

Thanks,
Len

Pat Pattle
January 5th, 2015, 00:07
:wavey:Hi Clive I just reinstalled BOB from ozs. Does it have a bdp zapper?

Thanks,
Len

Hi Len, no it doesn't but you could use the one from ETO if you need it.

Clive :0)

Old Tiger
January 5th, 2015, 04:20
Hi Len, no it doesn't but you could use the one from ETO if you need it.

Clive :0)

Thanks Clive:very_drunk: I usually delete em manually, all aircraft, objects, vehicles and weapons.

Len:gameon:

Daiwilletti
January 5th, 2015, 11:31
Thanks Clive:very_drunk: I usually delete em manually, all aircraft, objects, vehicles and weapons.

Len:gameon:

OMG Old Tiger, there is an easier way!!

In some older package (maybe the early MAW?) there was a bat file set up to delete ALL bdps in the install whereas the bdp zapper exe only does some of them.

I can send you the file if you like, it will just need editing to point to your install as the pathway is built in to the script. I can send it as a .txt file, to get around virus checkers, it just needs to be renamed .bat

D

grizzly50
January 5th, 2015, 11:46
Uh, guys?

AvH's Nuke CFS-3 bdp.zip: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=90

Drop it into your install and run it from there, or send to desktop as shortcut.

Can't remember right now if you need to edit it. Maybe.

Daiwilletti
January 6th, 2015, 11:38
Uh, guys?

AvH's Nuke CFS-3 bdp.zip: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=90

Drop it into your install and run it from there, or send to desktop as shortcut.

Can't remember right now if you need to edit it. Maybe.

Thanks for the reminder, Grizzly50 :wavey: Good to see you emerging from under the load of 1.50.....