PDA

View Full Version : AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Devildog73
December 31st, 2014, 06:23
All,

If you are ever tempted to go out and buy an AMD Radeon R7 200 Series vid card with 2GB of video RAM,

DON'T BOTHER! Get that thought out of your head.

I did and regret it. I am switching back to my nVidia GeForce 9800GT with only 1GB of vid RAM.

Here is my experience:
When I installed it, it needed new drivers. Okay-typical.
Twice. Okay, not so typical.

It has 2 cooling fans on the card. They are noisy beyond belief.

Then, in CFS2 it will not render 2D cockpits properly, so there is no manually starting engines.

At any point in flight the screen will go black and there is no recovery key to bring the screen back on.
I have turned OFF every screen/power saving setting. My display should remain on continually forever with the settings I have.

I have a massive power supply unit that more than meets the specs for the video card. I have all the proper connections plugged in and cooling fans work just fine except for the noise.

I contacted AMD. They answered me back right away and they do not provide service for "their" AMD Radeon R7s because they are sub-contracted out to some nefarious Communist Chinese company on mainland China. When I tried to contact the sub-contractor, twice, no reply back. It has been about a month now. (I am fairly certain they are not out celebrating Christmas or western New Years).

Bottom Line: Avoid AMD video cards like you avoid Ebola.

(Climbing down off my soapbox).

Blackbird686
January 1st, 2015, 09:41
Sorry to hear you had so much headache with the AMD Radeon. I have had similar trouble with NVidia chipsets and have always gone back to ATI Radeon based cards. I reckon it all depends on your system, if anything.

BB686:US-flag:

Penzoil3
January 3rd, 2015, 19:58
The R-7 is and old model anyway. The R 9 series is great. I ran an R 7 series card with FSX for 2 years quite happily however. But I prefer Saphire Radeon cards. Never had a problem with one, in 16 years of flight simming. Bought one Nvidia, ripped it out and sent it back about 5 years ago. Never again.
Sue