PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Factory Corsairs

ejoiner
December 30th, 2014, 11:34
OK, since John Terrell started me on this... Now I have some questions... :)

1. Is there a 3rd party sound set that matches the F4U or FG-1D? The defaults sound a bit wimpy.

2. This isnt a new aircraft, so whats the general consensus on the FDE? This plane was capable of 400 kts. I have yet to get it there.

Eric

Dangerousdave26
December 30th, 2014, 11:52

2. This isnt a new aircraft, so whats the general consensus on the FDE? This plane was capable of 400 kts. I have yet to get it there.

Eric

On the FDE I can tell you it is poor at best. That is my opinion. this was the only aircraft I ever bought that was immediately uninstalled.

fsxar177
December 30th, 2014, 12:30
Good-day.

To answer:

1.) Yes, it is a bit wimpy. There are some other options out there for the R-2800, plus a new set on the way that is catered especially for this model.

2.) The default FDE is pretty poor. For an entirely new experience, and the best available, you can download the Expansion Pack (http://www.fsxairsports.com/air_racing/classes/unlimited/AF_FG-1D_Expansion/).

- Joseph

fsxar177
December 30th, 2014, 12:32
Oh..and if you had question, the other repaints that are available, can be made to work with the expansion. There's an instruction txt file for how to do this, included with the download.

- Joseph

gray eagle
December 30th, 2014, 12:33
Good-day.

To answer:

1.) Yes, it is a bit wimpy. There are some other options out there for the R-2800, plus a new set on the way that is catered especially for this model.

2.) The default FDE is pretty poor. For an entirely new experience, and the best available, you can download the Expansion Pack (http://www.fsxairsports.com/air_racing/classes/unlimited/AF_FG-1D_Expansion/).

- Joseph

Joseph,
I got that one and it is pretty good :encouragement:

roger-wilco-66
December 30th, 2014, 12:35
The AF F4U is one of my most cherished aircraft. There are also plenty of excellent repaints (JanKees made a lot of them).

Our SOH member Fliger747 made a very agreeable alternative FDE for it.

Cheers,
Mark

Bomber_12th
December 30th, 2014, 13:00
Eric, please see my thread, as I have attached a copy of Fliger747's better FDE for the AF Corsair, including the required modifications to get it to work correctly.

I've always actually liked the AF Corsair soundset (one of my favorite parts of the product), but if you go to Flightsim.com there is a soundset recently released for it, by Skysong Soundworks, which has been praised: vcorsairsnz.zip

DangerousDave26, given the change in FDE (and some repaints), you may want to give the aircraft another try. Flying it with Fliger747's FDE is an absolute pleasure, allowing for a very authentic/accurate experience - it brings forth the type of quality of flight handling and performance you'd expect.

Ian Warren
December 30th, 2014, 13:14
New sound package ... lotta fun MP for carrier landings ... cheap as chips as Mark mentioned JKs paints and your rocking :encouragement:

gray eagle
December 30th, 2014, 15:25
Wow and that soundset is freeware. Going to give it a try. Thanks John for the HU :encouragement::adoration:

DaveB
December 31st, 2014, 01:02
The old girl is certainly more responsive with the new fd.. in fact it's positively lively! Control surface response is much increased and that 'oh so annoying' rebound/damping on the main gear seen in the original is gone. The overall increase in feel does come at a cost though and this manifests itself both on the ground and in the air. Where the original will track faithfully down the runway.. the revision will have you off the runway in 2 shakes of a little lambs tail if you don't keep it straight with the rudder. Likewise.. the revision pulls the right wing down in flight regardless of torque/P-factor settings.
The advertised soundset isn't bad.. not as throaty as I'd expected though like bomber_12th.. I didn't think the originals were in dire need of change.

Overall.. the new files make the old girl a completely different model to fly. Whether you like them or not will be down to personal preference;-)

ATB
DaveB:)

Bomber_12th
December 31st, 2014, 09:36
Regarding flying and display-flying the Corsair, there are some superb cockpit-POV videos out there of some various examples flown/displayed today:

The "Old Stick and Rudder Company's" FG-1D Corsair, displayed by Corsair pilot extraordinaire Keith Skilling (Keith flies the Corsair with all get-out, and unlike anyone else out there, and he's been doing it for years (he was put in-charge of flying The Fighter Collection's Corsair at this past summer's Flying Legends airshow)):

Omaka: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB97lLzQTj4
Masterton: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HHyWkG9aNM

From the ground:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7lqMWUOyD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4lDk2bCyWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa0ySI6T6oo

Rob Patterson flying the Planes of Fame F4U-1A (with B-25 and P-40): https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152553047622828&set=vb.642427827&type=2&theater

The Planes of Fame F4U-1A Corsair, displayed by Steve Hinton: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=277242072314367&set=vb.23688958789&type=3&theater

The CAF FG-1D flown by Chris Avery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nka-m8YajXk

One of the classic (must watch) Roaring Glory films, with Steve Hinton taking us along to fly the Planes of Fame F4U-1A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nubn_QpkHnI

Eric Goujon flying the Red Bull F4U-4 (a repaint that I'm working on right now):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCOXv95kYaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKVrc9vFXis

Ed Shipley flying his old (combat-vet) FG-1D Corsair together with Jim Beasley in the P-51: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT-3VsCWn30

Dan Damio flying the FG-1D "Skyboss": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxjF-PX1i3M

Another older video, an interview with Bill Harrison on what it's like to fly the Corsair (the F4U-4 in the video has since been on static display in the EAA museum for a number of years): http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=69557938001

In this last video, I've always enjoyed his comments most especially toward the end, about having to have the right mindset before climbing in and flying these aircraft.

Bomber_12th
December 31st, 2014, 10:34
Where the original will track faithfully down the runway.. the revision will have you off the runway in 2 shakes of a little lambs tail if you don't keep it straight with the rudder. Likewise.. the revision pulls the right wing down in flight regardless of torque/P-factor settings.

Dave, I'd have a look at your fuel, and see if you had more fuel in the right than in the left. For my personal use, having never flown the Corsair on any distance flights, I always just put 120-gallons in the main fuselage tank, or less, and that's it. I have all of the realism settings all the way to the right, and with the Fliger747 FDE, I've never felt the aircraft want to pull to the right/wing down in-flight, and also it's always been quite easy to control on take-off. I use 50% right rudder trim on take-off (marked as 10-degrees), remembering to remove that trim as the airspeed builds (also making sure to have the tailwheel locked). When on the runway, the standard procedure is to smoothly come up on the power up to 52" MP, and I tend to hold just a little forward stick as the airspeed increases so that the aircraft doesn't become airborne prematurely (just as with the real aircraft, it typically wants to fly before you have the power all the way up to take-off setting). The airplane will rotate at about 110 KIAS, and best climb-speed is 150 KIAS (42" MP, 2550 RPM in climb).

One thing for everyone to always remember is that the airspeed in the Corsair is marked in knots, not mph (so the airspeed readings will naturally seem lower than you will find in USAAF aircraft). As with operating the real aircraft, you want to approach the initial overhead at about 200 KIAS. Just prior to rolling into the overhead break, start reducing throttle, and then roll immediately into the downwind leg. The landing gear is then lowered, flaps positioned to 30 degrees, and the oil cooler doors opened while on downwind. On base (on the perch), with the gear and flaps configured for landing, you want to be at about 120 KIAS. Rolling out onto final, you want to start bleeding the speed back to about 95 KIAS for the final segment of the approach/over the threshold, and the prop should be set full-forward/full-increase. The landing is made in a three-point attitude, and with such a low landing speed, the landing roll-out is typically short.

Adding more to the discussion on flying the Corsair, this is what the warbird pilot/restorer Brad Hood has to say about flying the Corsair, compared to the P-51 and P-47:

"The Corsair is a delight to fly. The ailerons are very light compared to any other World War II fighter. The engine is smooth and powerful and almost gives the illusion of jet engine trust (the P-47 has been described similarly, as being as smooth as a jet to fly)... I have considerable flight time in the P-51 and P-47 which are both excellent airplanes and each has its particular assets. The Corsair, in my opinion, is a blend of the two. Its climb and turn performance are phenomenal. Like most high performance wings, the magnificent wing on the Corsair is a compromise. It flies exceedingly well at low and high speed but it does sacrifice some top end speed and energy in turns in comparison to the P-51. The airplane will out-turn the P-51 but bleeds energy quicker than the Mustang. It outperforms the P-47 in most regimes... Aerobatic maneuvers are effortless in the machine and it is easy to see why combat Corsair pilots loved it."

DaveB
December 31st, 2014, 11:09
Thanks for that John;)

The things you've mentioned are quite contrary to the AF fd and as I said.. it is now a completely different model and as such.. will take a little re-learning:) The way it flies now is as the 51/47 pilot describes. I thought it was over sensitive at first but the release fd is sooo slow at even basic manoeuvres, the fault obviously lies with that and not this version.
Re fuel.. yes, it's always a good one to check. I took off with full (default load) fuel and simply binned the drop tanks as soon as I remembered (at around 100ft I reckon). In pretty short order, it started dropping the right wing which needed almost constant adjustment. I didn't attempt to trim it out as I suspected P-torque rather than fuel. The Flying Stations Sea Fury has a very similar feel and even with equal amounts of fuel in the tanks and realism sliders set full left.. it will still pull the right wing down.

I'll recheck the main tanks (sans drop tanks) and make a note to lock the tailwheel before the takeoff run.

Thanks again

ATB

Bomber_12th
December 31st, 2014, 12:52
Okay, having taken another look at this, I made another update to the FDE's of Fliger747, this time replacing the fuel tank entries with those of the original FDE/product files, so that they are located properly, and so that they differ accordingly between the different variants (for instance, two external drop tanks for the -1D and -1C, rather than just one, as the F4U-1A has). You should actually now feel that the aircraft isn't so sensitive on the controls and easier to trim-out.

DaveB
December 31st, 2014, 12:57
John..

I've had another look at this tonight. Instead of just dropping the external tanks as I'd always done with the original FD.. I checked the tanks, sizes and positions and these differ. The revised fd has 5 tanks and they're not equidistant (4 are but one isn't).. the original has only 4 and all these are equal in size and position. This is what has been causing the right wing down. Even with the tail wheel unlocked.. it now tracks straight down the runway when using the 'equal' tanks. Left Aux is the offending tank;) Use any of the others in equal amounts and it's straight and level.. add the left aux and off she wanders!

To infinity.. and beyond!:encouragement:

ATB

DaveB
December 31st, 2014, 13:00
Oops.. we passed in the post there John:biggrin-new:

I'll pull the 'new' revised set but I'm happy to stay with these now I know what the hell is happening;)
ATB

Katoun
December 31st, 2014, 13:36
Hi,

We will have an announcement to make on this aircraft (with a completely revised and corrected model, external and VC, soundset and FDE) in the new year.

Thank you and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Kat

Scratch
December 31st, 2014, 19:31
Hi,

We will have an announcement to make on this aircraft (with a completely revised and corrected model, external and VC, soundset and FDE) in the new year.

Kat

HOT DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause::jump:

Ian Warren
January 1st, 2015, 01:18
Hi,

Kat

That dose sound intriguing .. New VC .. :encouragement:

Adrian Petford
January 1st, 2015, 01:53
Hi,

Kat

Excellent news! Here's hoping it might be Accu-Sim...

dhasdell
January 1st, 2015, 02:00
Excellent news! Here's hoping it might be Accu-Sim...

Maybe a clipped wing version for the Fleet Air Arm?

Dumonceau
January 1st, 2015, 02:19
Maybe a clipped wing version for the Fleet Air Arm?

+1! I would like to see that version too!!

Dumonceau

Katoun
January 1st, 2015, 02:28
Hi,

This will not be in conjunction with A2A, so no Accusim. So sorry.

However, the code will be significantly enhanced.

I will ask about the clipped wings.

Thank you.

Kat

EDIT: Colin tells me that I have made a serious mistake. The product that we will be releasing is NOT a F4U-1A/C/D Corsair. You have my apologies.

Stickshaker
January 1st, 2015, 03:41
Fantastic, Kat! Accusim is nice but I can live without it as long as the FDE is realistic. However, I hope it will be TacPacked.

Edit: only now I saw your latest post. Whatever you will release will be interesting!

roger-wilco-66
January 1st, 2015, 06:15
Thanks for the new FDE, John!
Off to try it now!

:ernaehrung004:
Cheers,
Mark

DaveB
January 1st, 2015, 06:26
Hi,

This will not be in conjunction with A2A, so no Accusim. So sorry.

However, the code will be significantly enhanced.

I will ask about the clipped wings.

Thank you.

Kat

EDIT: Colin tells me that I have made a serious mistake. The product that we will be releasing is NOT a F4U-1A/C/D Corsair. You have my apologies.

Come on then Kat.. a clue would be nice. Your secret will be safe here!:encouragement:

ATB

Dumonceau
January 1st, 2015, 06:51
The Birdcage Corsair then?? :jump:

Katoun
January 1st, 2015, 07:03
Hi,

I have been given the go-ahead to make the announcement.

We will be releasing in Q1 or Q2, the MV FG-1D Corsair. Tacpack is uncertain.

We have redone the VC completely and will be making a decision as to whether or not we redo the external UV's later this month. We will also be adding new tech including our night lighting and, possibly, including the Real Engine tech into the product. The soundset is being redone and the FDE will be tweaked a bit though Tom Falley (aka Fliger747) did a bang up job as far as we're concerned.

I will post pics later on today or tomorrow.

Thank you!

Kat

DaveB
January 1st, 2015, 09:00
Works for me.. cheers Kat:encouragement:

ATB

Stickshaker
January 1st, 2015, 11:08
The new FDE feels fine, but each time I land on a carrier and have almost come to a stop, the plane tips over on its nose very slowly. No matter how slowly I land, the problem persists. I also had it with the Seafury but not with the original AF Corsair files. Does anybody else have this problem, and is it perhaps related to Gray Eagle’s problem with the tailhook, as mentioned in another thread?<o:p></o:p>
Good news on the new release, Kat!<o:p></o:p>

fsxar177
January 1st, 2015, 12:01
Kat,

The Materials could certainly use an update, with proper env. map inclusion, and use of refined spec. textures.

- Joseph

Bomber_12th
January 1st, 2015, 14:07
Regarding doing an update of the model - the FG-1D, being the exact same as an F4U-1D (a Goodyear-built F4U-1D) - when looking at the AF Corsair, the primary spots that need correcting include the tail gear, the canopy and windscreen, and the notch cut-out in the flap needs to be on the starboard/right side, not the port/left side. The canopy, from within the VC, could also use additional details. Scratch could go into a lot more detail about it all.

(All of the surviving clipped-wing RNZAF and RN Corsairs in the world today (flying and static), are versions of Goodyear-built FG-1D's, including the time capsule example on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum (which has a braced canopy), the original RNZAF Corsair ZK-COR that flies in New Zealand, and the other original RNZAF Corsair N43FG that has now been flying in the US since earlier 2014. Early F4U-1D's and FG-1D's had braced canopies like the F4U-1A/FG-1A.)

Regarding the existing aircraft materials, I've been more than pleased with the specular maps, but it definitely needs support for alpha channels in order to properly recreate the exact look of late-44/1945 glossy sea blue.

I've seen others in the past get confused about the "FG-1D", thinking it to be the "Super Corsairs", where in-fact those are the "F2G-1" and "F2G-2". The "FG-1D" is virtually identical to the "F4U-1D", but built under license by Goodyear. The Brewster company also built the F4U-1A/D Corsair under license, and it was called the "F3A-1", of which one still survives today, and is in the middle of a complete restoration to airworthy. There are no Vought-built F4U-1D's flying today, only Goodyear-built FG-1D's, of which there are several. There is one Vought-built F4U-1A that flies, operated by Planes of Fame, and of course a number of Vought-built F4U-4's, F4U-5's, and F4U-7's that fly today.

Katoun
January 1st, 2015, 15:28
Hi John,

Thank you for your information but, we feel that you're oncorrect about the differences in the two types.

Thank you

Kat

Bomber_12th
January 1st, 2015, 15:35
Stickshaker, try something more like this [TailHook] section instead, replacing the one in the Tom Falley/Fliger747 Aircraft.cfg files.

[TailHook]
tailhook_length = 3
tailhook_position = -25, 0, 0
cable_force_adjust = 1

Bomber_12th
January 1st, 2015, 15:43
Hi John,

Thank you for your information but, we feel that you're oncorrect about the differences in the two types.

Thank you

Kat

I would love to learn more, if you can back it up with 1945 material. Sure, there were superficial differences between the two (F4U-1D/FG-1D) - placards, inspection stamps, construction numbers, and I'm sure other factory processes differed a bit, but the main airframe remained identical - perhaps a slightly later variant of the R-2800, however? I, as much as anyone, am interested in seeing a new/updated Corsair of WWII and post-WWII era, done accurately/faithfully.

fsxar177
January 1st, 2015, 16:16
Excellent info John.

Katoun
January 1st, 2015, 18:31
Hi,

Quote from Colin: "as always John, your information is going to be very hard to disprove and is probably correct anyway. There are no manuals that clearly show any differences in any of the models. As well, the pics available on the net for the F4U-1D are so low rez as to be useless. The only really valid visual representation is a panorama of a FG1-D here: http://www.airspacemag.com/panoramas/fg-1d-corsair-180953750/

This is the plane that we used as our reference for the revamped VC"

Due to some issues with the original release, this will be for P3D 1.4 up. There will be no locks on the product. No further comments on that will be responded and or answered.

Thank you

Kat

Stickshaker
January 2nd, 2015, 02:46
Stickshaker, try something more like this [TailHook] section instead, replacing the one in the Tom Falley/Fliger747 Aircraft.cfg files.

[TailHook]
tailhook_length = 3
cable_force_adjust = 1

Thanks, John! I’m going to try this out and will report back.<o:p></o:p>

gray eagle
January 2nd, 2015, 03:55
The dialog between John and Katoun over Corsair differences brings this to my mind. (A little levity here) :adoration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

stansdds
January 2nd, 2015, 03:56
I am very pleased to hear that the MilViz FG-1D will finally see the light of day! I think the flight sim world has needed an FG-1D for a very long time as most of the surviving -1 series of Corsairs are the FG-1D versions.

Externally, the FG-1D could be differentiated from the F4U-1D by the location where the MF/MHF radio antenna entered the fuselage. Vought continued to use the same spot for the -1, -1A, -1C/D, which was on the starboard side directly aft of the cockpit. A notch was cut into the back edge of the canopy frame to prevent the canopy for contacting the antenna. When Goodyear began to produce the -1D model, they moved the entry point to the port side and lowered the entry point to below the canopy track.

To my knowledge, Vought never installed a footstep in the starboard inboard flap of any of the -1 series Corsairs. Vought did incorporate a step in the F4U-4 design. Early production of the FG-1D may not have had the step either, but Vought was producing -4's for months while Goodyear was still fulfilling their -1D contract. I expect the flap with the step was incorporated sometime later in the production run of the FG-1D.

Inside the cockpit, I think the Vought and Goodyear -1D's were almost identical. From what I have found, there was a change in the electrical panel and the bomb arming switch panel, but otherwise they seem the same.

Katoun
January 2nd, 2015, 04:04
Hi,

We used your list of fixes to do them so thank you for that.

Thank you.

Kat

gray eagle
January 2nd, 2015, 04:45

[TailHook]
tailhook_length = 3
cable_force_adjust = 1

I made the changes to the tailhook section and now when it lands, it doesn't take a face plant into the flight deck however, the tail hook automatically retracts.
I noted on another thread here about the tail hook not fully extending to the deck when the aircraft is on the ground.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?91763-Corsair-Tailhook

This is unrealistic, I ought to know, I've been
on many an aircraft carrier and seen the tail hook of all and any aircraft preflight checked and they all would extend fully to the flight deck, if they didn't, the plane's flight
was scrubbed till it was fixed.

Here is photo of successful trap with the new tail setting and notice that it is fully retracted. I didn't press SHIFT + Q after landing. The tail hook on this particular plane will
extend fully when the plane is airborne, and only then - (weight off wheels switch function?)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17721&stc=1

Stickshaker
January 2nd, 2015, 08:51

[TailHook]
tailhook_length = 3
cable_force_adjust = 1

Hello John,<o:p></o:p>
It works fine! No problems anymore. Thanks for the tip.

dc10boy
January 2nd, 2015, 08:58
Hi guys, I added the new FDE and love it.However, after the new FDE I can't start the engine without using ctrl E.The engine just turns over and will not catch.I've followed the checklist to the letter and tried other things as well.Anybody else having this problem?
Stan

Bomber_12th
January 2nd, 2015, 09:33
Hi Stan (and everyone), this will solve that problem.

Go into the Aircraft.cfg file and find this line under [Piston_Engine]:

normalized_starter_torque=0.033471

Change it so that it reads:

normalized_starter_torque=.1

(I'm so used to simply pressing M++++ to control mags/starter, that I never have been accustom to using the actual starter switch inside the cockpit on most planes.)