PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR

ejoiner
December 27th, 2014, 09:38
Hi guys. Santa brought me a new TrackIR set up with the track clip pro. Wow! What a difference this makes. I am going to have to learn to fly all over again!

I am interested to find out if any of you guys use this and any tips in setting up. Especially if you have any FSX specific xml profiles you could share with me? I figure I could use the help!

Eric

PS: FWIW, I elected to use the baseball hat clip on instead of the headset clip on. I typically dont use a headset.

Naismith
December 27th, 2014, 10:52
Top Tip, do not forget to take the hat off before stepping outside or answering the doorbell, unless of course you seek strange looks from the mailman and passers by. :biggrin-new:

Other than that, if you d/l a profile from the TIR site, I found the one called "Seth_-_flight.xml" very satisfying to use.

Duckie
December 27th, 2014, 10:56
Hey Eric,

I've had my "5" for a few years now and absolutely love it. It will take a little getting used to but once you do you wont want to "leave home without it!"

I used the clip until something happened to the paddle alignment and it doesn't work now. So I'm headset bound. I won't do any serious flying without it.

falcon409
December 27th, 2014, 11:01
Like most here, I've had it for many years now and aside from a tweak for sensitivity or speed, I don't touch anything, don't use any special profiles or anything like that. . .just turn it on and go.

evvatc
December 27th, 2014, 11:42
I just use the stock smooth profile. Good to go

mikewmac
December 27th, 2014, 11:48
Top Tip, do not forget to take the hat off before stepping outside or answering the doorbell, unless of course you seek strange looks from the mailman and passers by. :biggrin-new:

Other than that, if you d/l a profile from the TIR site, I found the one called "Seth_-_flight.xml" very satisfying to use.
ditto!!! :ernaehrung004:

srgalahad
December 27th, 2014, 12:40

Just tell them you have a new part-time job monitoring communications for the NSA and it's a test of a new 'mobile receiver station'

My problem is that I was taught one never wore a hat indoors and that saved me many embarrassing moments when walking into a mess so I use the clip but then I'm often on TeamSpeak so it's natural

Navy Chief
December 27th, 2014, 12:51
I have an older version of TrackIR hardware.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17382&stc=1

In addition, I have EZCA (EZDOK) camera. A few months back, I went through the process of trying to configure EZCA, and had some success with that. But getting that to work with TrackIR was a hugely frustrating process. I finally gave up on both, and haven't revisited it. NC

Naismith
December 27th, 2014, 14:36
Chief, with TIR did you rename two files in the TIR directory? Namely "simconnect.manifest" & "simconnectSP2.manifest" also there is a special EZCA setting within TIR5. Plus there is a setting within the EZCA setup tweaks which I cannot for the moment remember but it is contained within this video which I found to be one of the best for setting up the system.

http://youtu.be/rEiOjB4mOUI

Navy Chief
December 27th, 2014, 15:30
Naismith,

Yep, did all that. I think the main problem I had, was understanding how to configure TrackIR. I could never get it to stop going too fast in either direction, and then, when the view was (for lack of a better description) messed up, I would have to hit the re-center key (F12?), and it just got too annoying and frustrating.

I also posted in P3D forum about this. Never even got things successfully installed in that sim. NC

ryanbatc
December 27th, 2014, 17:49
Hi guys. Santa brought me a new TrackIR set up with the track clip pro. Wow! What a difference this makes. I am going to have to learn to fly all over again!

I am interested to find out if any of you guys use this and any tips in setting up. Especially if you have any FSX specific xml profiles you could share with me? I figure I could use the help!

Eric

PS: FWIW, I elected to use the baseball hat clip on instead of the headset clip on. I typically dont use a headset.

Hi I recommend downloading a profile called "Seth - Flight" from the TIR forums, Profiles sub thread....

WombRaider78
December 27th, 2014, 19:59
I have been using FreeTrack for a while. I am pretty satisfied with it, but I think TIR is better. I was planning on buying TIR for Xmas this year, but I went with the Cessna rudder pedals by Saitek. Perhaps next year Santa will leave me a TIR...?

big-mike
December 28th, 2014, 06:23
I recommend using JAB FSX from Jackie Brouze with TIR.
This little tool deactivates TIR when you are in the outside view.
Very helpful!

http://jacky.brouze.ch/Programmes/JAB_FSX/index.php

Mike

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2014, 14:14
I recommend using JAB FSX from Jackie Brouze with TIR.
This little tool deactivates TIR when you are in the outside view.
Very helpful!

http://jacky.brouze.ch/Programmes/JAB_FSX/index.php

Mike

Is there a link to an English version of that site?

vortex
December 28th, 2014, 15:40
I have been using FreeTrack for a while. I am pretty satisfied with it, but I think TIR is better. I was planning on buying TIR for Xmas this year, but I went with the Cessna rudder pedals by Saitek. Perhaps next year Santa will leave me a TIR...?

FreeTrack is old and hasn't been updated for years. Try FacetrackNoIR (http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm). Although it works with just a webcam, if you use a 3-LED point source and set it up properly it's as good as TrackIR at a fraction of the price.

Naismith
December 28th, 2014, 15:48
No although it is not all that hard to figure it out. You have to register first then the d/l is revealed. Takes a few minutes, my retruning e-mail was sent within one minute.

Duckie
December 28th, 2014, 15:55

Hey Pete, just go to Avsim and search for the author's last name. You'll get several files to come up and the one you're looking for is among them.

Navy Chief
December 28th, 2014, 16:49
Hey Pete, just go to Avsim and search for the author's last name. You'll get several files to come up and the one you're looking for is among them.

Thanks Steve! Pete

falcon409
December 28th, 2014, 17:59
Hi I recommend downloading a profile called "Seth - Flight" from the TIR forums, Profiles sub thread....
I concur. . .I downloaded and tested this profile and it's excellent. The one I'll be using from now on. . .seems far more stable and natural than what I had been using.

Obie311
December 29th, 2014, 09:20
Do I need a webcam to use Track IR or is it all self contained? One problem I experience doing pattern (circuit) work is the loss of peripheral vision. Will the Track IR compensate for this?