PDA

View Full Version : FSX or Prepar3d

Wulf190
December 20th, 2014, 04:58
I have been running FS9 and CFS2 since they both came out, yet I have also been getting the itch about updating to a more modern sim platform. Both FSX and prepar3d look good to me, but which is 'better' (subjective I know)?

b52bob
December 20th, 2014, 05:40
I have been running FS9 and CFS2 since they both came out, yet I have also been getting the itch about updating to a more modern sim platform. Both FSX and prepar3d look good to me, but which is 'better' (subjective I know)?

Depends on your rig. P3d runs better, looks better. And is all around a better sim. You need a quad core processor and a dx 11 comparable gpu, preferably with 2 gigs of memory.

read some of the stuff at the top of this forum for some excellent info.

p3d is what Fsx 11 should have become you would be very pleased with it as are most of us running it. I don't even use Fsx anymore.

bob

Wulf190
December 20th, 2014, 06:14
Howdy Bob,

currently I am running a i7-930 @ 2.8ghz with 6gigs of DDR3 1600 Ram and a Gtx460 card.

for Christmas I am planning on replacing the card with a GTX 970 and adding in a SSD as my main system drive. Now that school is done, I also want to overclock my i7 to around 3.6Ghz. I have a Noctua DH-14 sitting on top of it.

Depends on your rig. P3d runs better, looks better. And is all around a better sim. You need a quad core processor and a dx 11 comparable gpu, preferably with 2 gigs of memory.

read some of the stuff at the top of this forum for some excellent info.

p3d is what Fsx 11 should have become you would be very pleased with it as are most of us running it. I don't even use Fsx anymore.

bob

Dimus
December 20th, 2014, 06:44
Howdy Bob,

currently I am running a i7-930 @ 2.8ghz with 6gigs of DDR3 1600 Ram and a Gtx460 card.

for Christmas I am planning on replacing the card with a GTX 970 and adding in a SSD as my main system drive. Now that school is done, I also want to overclock my i7 to around 3.6Ghz. I have a Noctua DH-14 sitting on top of it.

That rig would run P3D 2.4 very well! I have an old quad Q6600 which I run OCed from 2.4 to 3.0Ghz. I also had a 460 which run P3D at medium-low settings quite well. I did exactly the same as you propose, i.e. install a GTX970 and a 512GB SSD where I transferred my FSX and P3D installed. P3D now runs at full right settings and 2x DSR at almost twice the FPS it run on the 460. Go for it and you will not regret it.

Comparatively FSX runs worse as it is more dependent on processor and my old quad does not help.

zswobbie1
December 20th, 2014, 07:39
Wulf, I love your signature, a great movie & series. Pity just the one.

falcon409
December 20th, 2014, 09:42
The biggest system change between FSX and P3D_V2.4 is that P3D now relies heavily on the GPU to process all texture loading. It's for that reason that at least a 600 or higher Graphics card with at least 2 gig is a necessity. Also, go right to V2.4 without stopping at 1.4, lol. I know of a few folks who are running FSX, P3D_V1.4 and P3D_V2.4. . .developers mostly, but V1.4 is like a starter kit for the real thing. It's too much like FSX to consider running both and it doesn't contain any of the amazing improvements made for the current version.

Wulf190
December 20th, 2014, 10:04
So what level of license should I look at? The $60 or the $200?

The biggest system change between FSX and P3D_V2.4 is that P3D now relies heavily on the GPU to process all texture loading. It's for that reason that at least a 600 or higher Graphics card with at least 2 gig is a necessity. Also, go right to V2.4 without stopping at 1.4, lol. I know of a few folks who are running FSX, P3D_V1.4 and P3D_V2.4. . .developers mostly, but V1.4 is like a starter kit for the real thing. It's too much like FSX to consider running both and it doesn't contain any of the amazing improvements made for the current version.

falcon409
December 20th, 2014, 20:59
So what level of license should I look at? The $60 or the $200?
The Academic License. . .I haven't checked in a while but it was around $49.00

AussieMan
December 21st, 2014, 12:14
It's a no brainer ...... P3D V2.4 for sure.

Navy Chief
December 21st, 2014, 15:40
That rig would run P3D 2.4 very well! I have an old quad Q6600 which I run OCed from 2.4 to 3.0Ghz. I also had a 460 which run P3D at medium-low settings quite well. I did exactly the same as you propose, i.e. install a GTX970 and a 512GB SSD where I transferred my FSX and P3D installed. P3D now runs at full right settings and 2x DSR at almost twice the FPS it run on the 460. Go for it and you will not regret it.

Comparatively FSX runs worse as it is more dependent on processor and my old quad does not help.

Always wondered what my system would run like if I OC'ed it, but don't know enough about doing that, and was always (still am, for that matter) afraid of really messing things up. NC

roger-wilco-66
December 21st, 2014, 20:56
I had a Q6600 which I overclocked to a bit over 3 GHz. I even undervolted it and never had a problem with the setup.
It seems to me, with the newer P3D versions, the performance hog really shifted towards the GPUs. I have a GTX 970 4gb now and the difference between this card and the former GTX 660 2gb is remarkable. I'd say it at least doubled the frame rate, with sliders maxed in the 970 setup.

If I had to choose I'd definitely opt for P3D. No brainer, as Pat said :-)

Cheers,
Mark

dhazelgrove
January 14th, 2015, 05:42
I'm not going to choose. I'm running FS9, FSXA and now P3D - all on the same machine.

I'm told that P3D doesn't like VFR AI without a fix. Anyone know anything about it?

Dave

DaveWG
January 14th, 2015, 06:14
There was an issue with P3d V2.0 regarding VFR AI but that's been fixed. Don't know of any current issues.