PDA

View Full Version : Help! I've broken all Microsoft Flight Simulator Products!

Kodiak
November 14th, 2014, 19:38
Hello everyone,

I was trying to get a Boeing Model 221a installed and running in FS2004 and was having problems. Then I realized I hadn't moved a file called GaugeSound.dll into my main FS9 directory, so I did. The plane installed, but I immediately lost my elevator in not only FS9 (its a Golden Wings 3 installation), but also in a stand alone FS9, and also in my five installations of CFS3 and Wings Over Flanders Fields! In IL-2 1946 and Rise of Flight my elevator works fine.

So I moved the GaugeSound.dll out of the main FS9 directory but that didn't help. I suspect that it has broken some universal file/setting that Microsoft uses for all its flight simulators. I've rebooted my computer several times, but no joy.

Any help would be appreciated as I won't know how to fix this short of reinstalling Windows 7. At the moment I am unable to use CFS3, WOFF, or FS2004!

Thanks!

P.S. I posted this in both the CFS3 and FS2004 sections as I need expert advice wherever I can find it!

Lane Street
November 14th, 2014, 19:59
How are you controlling the elevator? Keyboard, joystick, yoke?

I very seriously doubt that the gaugesound.dll caused this. There are many addons used by many, many people that don't have this problem. That file has nothing to do with control surfaces and only gets called by gauges that are coded for it.

More likely to be a controller issue as it crosses several platforms.

cheers,
Lane

Kodiak
November 14th, 2014, 20:23
I've got a Thrustmaster T-16000m. And I forgot to mention that I've got fluid control of the y axis in Settings - Calibrate Joystick in FS9...everything looks fine there and I did recalibrate.

I can't imagine what could affect just the elevator at the plane level but not in FS9 Settings and affect all MS planes at once but not other flight sim brands.

lemonadedrinker
November 14th, 2014, 21:52
Hi,
If this is affecting all your airplanes, then it seems as Lane said, it's a controller question. Perhaps reset to the default settings for your controller and see how that works. The other day I found the side to side axis had got reversed (!) and that caused a panic, but by looking into 'assisnments' it was easy to spot... the box to reverse the command had somehow got ticked .How or why I know not, but the Assignments box is where to start I think. Is Autopilot on when you startup ? Silly question perhaps.:pop4:

TARPSBird
November 15th, 2014, 01:35
The addition of a faulty plane in one install of FS9 would not carry over to other installs, although I also suspect a controller issue here more than anything with an airplane or .dll file. You might try uninstalling your controller, then reload the software and try it in one FS9 install at default settings and see if you regain elevator control.

Mick
November 15th, 2014, 04:51
The addition of a faulty plane in one install of FS9 would not carry over to other installs, although I also suspect a controller issue here more than anything with an airplane or .dll file. You might try uninstalling your controller, then reload the software and try it in one FS9 install at default settings and see if you regain elevator control.

Along similar lines, but simpler - if you have another control stick, perhaps an older one that you haven't been using, try that one and see how it works. If it works properly, that narrows down the problem to your present control stick and/or its software.

lemonadedrinker
November 15th, 2014, 05:41
Hi,
From looking again at your post, I think there should only be 1 GaugeSound.dll and that should be in FS9/ Modules....is that what you meant when you wrote "in my main FS9 Directory"? I don't think they need to be in more folders; in fact extra ones might cause crashes.

Andy.

tgibson
November 15th, 2014, 07:25
I believe that this dll file should be in the main directory, and not in the modules folder.

lemonadedrinker
November 15th, 2014, 09:36
Hi,
I defer to you there Tom! in fact I found I had one in the Main Directory and in the Modules folder as well, which shows how much I know:dizzy:

Andy.

Motormouse
November 15th, 2014, 10:06
Hi,
I defer to you there Tom! in fact I found I had one in the Main Directory and in the Modules folder as well, which shows how much I know:dizzy:

Andy.

Either way, an extra one doesn't hurt. Some developers write their gauges to call the dll from the modules folder,
and some from main directory. Certainly won't cause loss of the controller though.

Ttfn

Pete

Motormouse
November 15th, 2014, 11:57
I've got a Thrustmaster T-16000m. And I forgot to mention that I've got fluid control of the y axis in Settings - Calibrate Joystick in FS9...everything looks fine there and I did recalibrate.

I can't imagine what could affect just the elevator at the plane level but not in FS9 Settings and affect all MS planes at once but not other flight sim brands.

Ahh. That could be it, I'll explain, when you calibrate within fs9, you computer is showing the generic game controller
calibration window that is a Windows application, not a fs9 routine...your Thrustmaster stick (I have TS hotas btw )has default flightsim profiles for Microsoft flight simulator programs within its driver, which override the normal Windows calibration application when a Microsoft flight simulation program is running, ie actually flying per se.

Try reloading your Thrustmaster driver file.

Hope this helps.

Ttfn

Pete

Kodiak
November 15th, 2014, 17:55
Problem solved, and I really appreciate everyone helping me think this through with your ideas.

I run a CH Pro Throttle with my Thrustmaster joystick. I have the profiles set in each game to look at my CH Pro Throttle for throttle, flaps, and gear etc, but ailerons, elevator and rudder on the Thrustmaster. I've had this setup for years. After a good nights sleep I checked the Assignments and sure enough the elevator had been activated on the CH Pro Throttle also. So it remained in the neutral position as I was trying to use the elevator from my Thrustmaster and they were competing with each other.

And get this, I checked one of my CFS3 installs which I haven't flown in about 2 weeks and found the same situation. How on earth this can happen I don't know. Its just me and my wife at home and she can barely use the computer for email. There is no way this could have happened, and yet it did. Friday afternoon - no conflict. Friday evening - conflict. I'm quite certain when I check all of my CFS3 installs and WOFF I'll find the same thing.

Put this one down to bizarre gremlin action...lol

Thank you everyone! :ernaehrung004:

TARPSBird
November 15th, 2014, 22:02
Glad you got it sorted out, Kodiak. :encouragement: Some of this flight sim weirdness just gets filed under "act of God".