PDA

View Full Version : OT...Anybody using PSP X7?

Duckie
November 8th, 2014, 06:34
I'm using PSP 9.01 and it does not support PSD Layer Groups. Unfortunately many new paint kits are being issued this way. For example, I can't open Razbam's A-7 PSD file layers because the layers are grouped within the file.

PSP X7 is on sale right now. I was wondering if any repainters here use it and, if so, how do you like it?

Thanks,
Steve

Javis
November 8th, 2014, 07:52
Hey Duckie,

Currently i am 'evaluating' X6, when i click the buy button i get the X7 page so i guess X6 is superceeded by X7 already. I have enjoyed working with X3 for a couple years. Few days ago all of a sudden the .exe file dissapeared.... No idea why... No more X3 to buy so i went for X6 which i'm working with now. The first thing i noticed was that it installed in just a minute ! (i do have a new monster machine... ;-) Works fine like X3 although i noticed i can't seem to get 'mirroring' from the dropdown menu anymore. However the key combo ( Ctrl/m ) does still work so no problem. Also changed from X3, if you have a lot of bitmaps open they all appear on your taskbar, don't like that but i guess it's a matter of getting used to.

Some nice new selection tools too compared to X3, like 'em ! I do have a problem with copy/paste from one bitmap to another (it doesn't seem to 'remember' the selection) found a work around and i'm only working with X6 for a couple days.

Otherwise i'm as happy with X6 as i was with X3. Not sure about PSD Layer Groups as i don't use them but i'm happy to investigate if you like. I probabely hit the buy button one of these days and buy X7.

Cheers,
Jan

rsgunner
November 8th, 2014, 08:01
I got an upgrade to it but my experience it doesn't open PS6 psd files correctly so I don't use.

Russ

Duckie
November 8th, 2014, 08:15
Hey Jan,

Thanks for the feedback. My PSP 9 is old and doesn't like 64bit but until I picked up the Razbam A-7s it work just fine for me. But now I guess it's time to move on. I don't use groups either but neither does PSP 9 :biggrin-new:

A-7 paint kit is PSD format but the layers are organized in groups so when I open one of the paint kit PSD files all layers are merged to background. I tried opening in Gimp and reorganizing layers out of their groups but then PSP won't recognize the file as a valid PSD file.

So, need to upgrade anyway and I guess this you might say is the proverbial straw!

Just want to make sure X7 will open these grouped PSD files.

==================================

Hay rsgunner - don't know what PS6 is but if it's what I'm trying to open (Razbam A-7 paint kit PSD) then I'd like to know so I won't waste my $$

Thanks
Steve

Jafo
November 8th, 2014, 13:48
X6.....X7.....?

Heck.... I'm still using PSP6 .....;)

Duckie
November 8th, 2014, 14:00
X6.....X7.....?

Heck.... I'm still using PSP6 .....;)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I started with 5, then 7, now 9. My 9 chokes on these 2048 textures but I can live with that. It's just this latest issue with PSD groups. I enjoy repainting and I'm still learning, especially since I made the jump to X. So, I need to move up to a version that will handle this issue.

DaveB
November 8th, 2014, 14:10
Steve..

Is the 'free' version of PS CS2 still available?? If so, this would enable you to get around the groups problem at no cost. I still use Elements2 for the most part and came across the same problem with one of the Cera PK's.. it just can't handle the groups. One of the psd's wouldn't even open in Elements2! I was pointed in the direction of PS CS2.. problem solved;)

ATB
DaveB:)

Jafo
November 8th, 2014, 14:38
Steve..

Is the 'free' version of PS CS2 still available?? If so, this would enable you to get around the groups problem at no cost. I still use Elements2 for the most part and came across the same problem with one of the Cera PK's.. it just can't handle the groups. One of the psd's wouldn't even open in Elements2! I was pointed in the direction of PS CS2.. problem solved;)

ATB
Ditto...when my psp/psd files get too big I switch to Elements 2 ...was a freebie with a graphic card eons ago.

I started in 'graphics' before computers could...but via them starting in Dos....first PSP was probably 3 [don't recall an earlier ver].

If you get to the point where Adobe's modern PSDs push people to upgrade....push back....google 'any' alternative and deny Adobe their imprest....;)

Javis
November 8th, 2014, 22:26
Yeah, I know what you mean. I started with 5, then 7, now 9. My 9 chokes on these 2048 textures but I can live with that. It's just this latest issue with PSD groups. I enjoy repainting and I'm still learning, especially since I made the jump to X. So, I need to move up to a version that will handle this issue.

I think you're alright with X7 handling grouped layers. I have A-7 III and just tried a fuselage.psd in X6. It says " this psd file contains unsupported functions " but opens anyway and shows all layers inside groups ( Holy Moly! ;-) If i right click a layer it shows an option to "remove grouping of layers" ( or something similar, i have a dutch version... ;-)

You can try X6 or 7 for 30 days, i'd say give it go. :cool:

Duckie
November 9th, 2014, 04:48
Jan,

Thanks very much for the test and review. Just the info I was looking for. :encouragement: :encouragement:

hairyspin
November 9th, 2014, 05:47
Is the 'free' version of PS CS2 still available??:)

You mean Adobe's great blunder? With all the agility of a glacier they have finally put that behind some protection. If you're already a signed-up Adobe customer with an Adobe ID it's easy to get: if not, tough.

huub vink
November 9th, 2014, 06:03
Duckie,

Like a few others here I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 7.04. Just to open more modern layered files I also have Gimp. When I can't open a paintkit with PSP7, I open it with gimp and export it again in PSP format.

Gimp is free and it saves me to learn hoe wo use an other program.

Cheers,
Huub

Duckie
November 9th, 2014, 08:26
Duckie,

Like a few others here I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 7.04. Just to open more modern layered files I also have Gimp. When I can't open a paintkit with PSP7, I open it with gimp and export it again in PSP format.

Gimp is free and it saves me to learn hoe wo use an other program.

Cheers,
Huub

Hey Huub,

Thanks very much for that tip. It's a good one and one I use to do exactly the same. However, with the Razbam paint kit textures, I use Gimp to open but in exporting, the textures become unrecognizable to PSP and it will not open them at all. Gimp will even remove the groups and save the layered PSD files without groups but, again, PSP will not recognize the file. It sees them as "Invalid File Type".

I had no problem at all with the Virtava A-4 paint kit layered files because the layers were not organized in groups, so my PSP 9 handled them just fine.

Hence, my search for a new, affordable PSP version to upgrade. X7 is looking more and more like my new paint program.

Steve

Jafo
November 9th, 2014, 11:58
Hey Huub,

Thanks very much for that tip. It's a good one and one I use to do exactly the same. However, with the Razbam paint kit textures, I use Gimp to open but in exporting, the textures become unrecognizable to PSP and it will not open them at all. Gimp will even remove the groups and save the layered PSD files without groups but, again, PSP will not recognize the file. It sees them as "Invalid File Type".

I had no problem at all with the Virtava A-4 paint kit layered files because the layers were not organized in groups, so my PSP 9 handled them just fine.

Hence, my search for a new, affordable PSP version to upgrade. X7 is looking more and more like my new paint program.

Steve

Might be a pain in the butt...but if you can access the psd's in Gimp....and export [save] each individual layer as a bmp you could then recompile them as a new psp [or psd] in your psp7.

Where there's a will there's a way...;)

Duckie
November 9th, 2014, 12:23
Might be a pain in the butt...but if you can access the psd's in Gimp....and export [save] each individual layer as a bmp you could then recompile them as a new psp [or psd] in your psp7.

Where there's a will there's a way...;)

:pop4:...Believe it or not, Jafo, I have indeed tried that but unfortunately there are many transparent layers and to convert to bmp kills the transparency. I have also tried copying the layer from gimp and pasting it into an open PSD and PSP file and in translation it also loses transparency, which plays the devil with panel lines and weathering and the like!

huub vink
November 9th, 2014, 13:38
Just a thought: I haven't tried Jafo's solution, but is it possible to save the seperate layers as png? I think that should save the transperancy.......

(It might in the end be easier to make your own paint kit.....)

Cheers,
Huub

Duckie
November 9th, 2014, 14:40
Just a thought: I haven't tried Jafo's solution, but is it possible to save the seperate layers as png? I think that should save the transperancy.......

(It might in the end be easier to make your own paint kit.....)

Cheers,
Huub

Hey...png works for transparency! But they don't line up just right so unless you have alignment marks on each layer :dizzy:

I think you're right Huub...it may be much easier, and faster, to make my own paint Kit!

Jafo
November 9th, 2014, 16:28
Hey...png works for transparency! But they don't line up just right so unless you have alignment marks on each layer :dizzy:

I think you're right Huub...it may be much easier, and faster, to make my own paint Kit!

You don't even need png as a format....PSP's default format [psp] will preserve trans.
Alignment can be an issue without markers...hence the bmp option [flat image] provided the layer opacity is at 100 and you have an easy fill colour to cut out again once applied to a layer set.

Life's just all too easy with these layer thingies....I spent the first decade or two of CG doing it all flat...you know, like good old 'painting'...;)

If you do go down the road of making your own....make it as big as your system can handle....4096 is the go...

You'll hit 32bit proggy memory issues sooner or later...but I've found PSE 2.0 survives better than PSP6...so when PSP chokes [and I still want to add more layers] I switch to PS Elements ...;)

ejoiner
November 9th, 2014, 17:07
Hey Jan,

Thanks for the feedback. My PSP 9 is old and doesn't like 64bit but until I picked up the Razbam A-7s it work just fine for me. But now I guess it's time to move on. I don't use groups either but neither does PSP 9 :biggrin-new:

A-7 paint kit is PSD format but the layers are organized in groups so when I open one of the paint kit PSD files all layers are merged to background. I tried opening in Gimp and reorganizing layers out of their groups but then PSP won't recognize the file as a valid PSD file.

So, need to upgrade anyway and I guess this you might say is the proverbial straw!

Just want to make sure X7 will open these grouped PSD files.

==================================

Hay rsgunner - don't know what PS6 is but if it's what I'm trying to open (Razbam A-7 paint kit PSD) then I'd like to know so I won't waste my $$

Thanks
Steve

Steve I am encouraged to see you exploring this so perhaps I will get my VA-205 bird one day? :-)

I use photoshop and have for years. However, when I went to the razbam site looking to possibly do this one myself, I found that their paint kit is no longer there! So, unless I make my own, I am SOL. (Done that before, but not time for that at the moment due to work.). Anyway, sounds like you need to upgrade anyway. Sucks most of the time with graphics packages because once you master the short cuts and various techniques, if they redesign the gui you can find yourself lost and having to relearn. Hell, I would still use PS 6.0 if it would run well on Win8. As it is, I still use PS 7.0 because its similar and i am very good with it.

Eric

DaveB
November 9th, 2014, 23:20
Eric..

As I mentioned in another thread.. the A-7 PK is part of the download. You'll find it in the RAZBAM folder inside FSX:) I've not looked at them in PS but there's one folder called A-7 Repaint Kit and this contains 5 psd's.. Droptanks, FuselageA, FuselageB, Pilot and Wings and there's another folder called Paint Kits with more A-7 bits plus files for the T-2;)

ATB

Duckie
November 11th, 2014, 18:05
OK...I picked up PSP 6X Ultimate. Played around with X7 trial but it just seemed a little, I don't know, awkward?
Read a very informative article comparing X6 with X7. It sold me on X6, and speaking of sold, I got Ultimate for about 1/2 what regular X7 cost and it was on sale to boot!

Been trying it out and it is enough like the version I have that the learning curve will probably be almost flat!