PDA

View Full Version : A very interesting thing happened to me here today -

Toastmaker
November 2nd, 2014, 11:34
I posted this over at the Quarter Moon Saloon, where I tend to hang out a lot :

This will only be significant to flight simmers. . .

While nosing around on some downloads of U.S. warbirds, I found a B-24J, named "42-Kay", 44-41056 as the repaint of an Alphasim B-24J. The creator, Jankees, described it as having been shot down over Vienna on Oct. 13, 1944.

This is the aircraft my dad was in, as top turret gunner/engineer when he bailed out of his flak damaged plane over Vienna, on Oct. 13, 1944, POW until liberation in '45.

Needless to say, I was shocked and profoundly pleased to see that I can download this aircraft and simulate flights of a generaton past !!

Of course, I sent a PM to Jankees with profuse thanks. But Yesterday, I just happened to be reading an illustrated book on the history of the 451st Bomb Grp. in WWII by Mike Hill. My father's squadron - 727 BS, was part of that BG, based at the Foggia complex of airfields in Italy.

Yesterday. . . and today I find this.

Allen
November 2nd, 2014, 12:13
Found this pic. Quite odd looking paint it has.

henrystreet
November 2nd, 2014, 12:30
This is one of the neatest, coolest stories I've heard in a while. Glad you got to experience it.

Toastmaker
November 2nd, 2014, 12:37
Thanks Allen - that's definitely it as the tail number is correct. Thanks again !

Henrystreet - it sure took me by surprise !

Allen
November 2nd, 2014, 13:01
I found a thread here http://sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?26120-Alphasim-FSX-B-24-and-A2A-B-17 In thread the B-24 is shown in full gray/silver. I wonder if the pic I found is of the B-24 in mid repaint?

Toastmaker
November 2nd, 2014, 13:33
Allen, I think the photo you posted is essentially the same bare aluminum fuselage as in Jankee's repaint version with the exception of the anti-glare patch of OD green in front of the cockpit. The photo is obviously of poor resolution and lots of shadows that make it look oddly painted.

That's the way it looks to me, anyway -

Allen
November 2nd, 2014, 13:48
The pic is not that bad. The plane is OD top and gray under side. If it was shadows that anti-glare OD would be darker than the rest of the top area and you can see the OD on the inside of the tail.

No the same plane but apart of the 451st BG.

Pic of the nose take from the ground.

Toastmaker
November 2nd, 2014, 14:38
Ok, yep. . could be exactly that. Good research !! ;)

I have noted that all the tail colors of the 451st were red, not yellow, at least according to their own history volumes. Who knows ?

Allen
November 2nd, 2014, 15:23
The info on the color side profile I found listed it as Serial: 42-52006, 724th BS, 451st BG, 15th AF, USAAF. Maybe it is a assembly ship?