PDA

View Full Version : Finally interested in FSX!

rpjkw
October 26th, 2014, 16:06
At long last I tried FSX last night and rather like it. I have a couple of questions that would have been asked and answered 8 years ago (better late than never?):

1. I really dislike virtual panels except in open cockpit aircraft. Is 2D even available for FSX and, if so, where and how do I get ti.

2. I installed FSX update 1 and (I think 2) so I was wondering about Acceleration. Everyone was talking about it years ago, but most forum post about it are a year or more old, so it's obviously out of favor.

3. Like with FS9, I'll be looking for scenery upgrades and third party freeware and payware aircraft. That will come after getting better acquainted with FSX and learning it's foibles.

My main rig is in my signature and FSX ran beautifully last night so I expect it'll easily handle what I want to do. I'm waiting for the GTX 980Ti's to come out, but that won't do much for FSX.

Thank you in advance for all info and advice.

Bob

txnetcop
October 26th, 2014, 16:29
1. To open 2D panels From the opening screen go to settings. Select Display. There is a check box there to select either 2d or 3d opening panel.
2. I have had Acceleration install from the day it came out and have had no problems with it
3. There are tons of freeware and payware addons and many are covered here in SOH
Ted

Start here for native aircraft: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?83234-Looking-for-a-Native-FsX-aircraft-Start-here!

Anthin
October 26th, 2014, 16:32
Hi.
First of all you should visit the ORBX site and have a look
at their scenery. It is quite incredible. You definetly nee
Accelleration these days.

Anthin.

ryanbatc
October 26th, 2014, 16:43
As a heads up - with FSX, many developers went away from 2D cockpits. Very few include a full 2D panel, most provide just the VC. If you're really after 2D you might just keep FS9 installed.

Or invest in Track IR and start flying VC - it's phenomenal.

mike_cyul
October 26th, 2014, 19:09
I think that using Acceleration is more-or-less a given these days. Our newer aircraft, for example, will only work properly with Acceleration installed.

Mike

Mach3DS
October 26th, 2014, 19:17
You really do need Acceleration installed. I contains the enhancements for most of the advanced features which many developers use.

trucker17
October 26th, 2014, 19:41
Hi Bob and welcome to the community.

Acceleration or SP1 and 2 are a must with a lot of addon sceneries and aircraft.
ORBX is one of the best payware available, to me anyways. They also have a number of freeware airport sceneries.
Their are also many freeware photoreal sceneries available out here as well.....
As for payware aircraft. There are many to choose from.
MILVIZ.
Alabeo.
A2A Simulations.
Carenardo
Cera sim
Vertigo Studios
Just to name a few......
Their are also many freeware aircraft available with the same quality as payware aircraft.
OZx
Manfred Jahn and team
Just to mention a couple.

Take your time and look around......You'll find your favorite aircraft and airports.
Craig.

mike_cyul
October 26th, 2014, 20:31
Just so I feel things are clear - SP1 and SP2 are not the same as Acceleration. We've tried to sum it up here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Why%20FSX%20plus%20Acceleration.htm

Mike

airattackimages
October 26th, 2014, 20:32
I too used to shun the 3D cockpits. Then one day I actually made a point to fly with the VC and realized I had been an idiot avoiding them. ;)

trucker17
October 26th, 2014, 21:06
Just so I feel things are clear - SP1 and SP2 are not the same as Acceleration. We've tried to sum it up here: http://www.flight-replicas.com/Why%20FSX%20plus%20Acceleration.htm

Mike

From what i have read.....No its not the same as acceleration, but it is equal to it.

Anthin
October 26th, 2014, 21:56
2D cockpits are a thing of the past. Vc's bring a far more realistis experience to flight simming.
Go for it. You won't look back.

regards Anthin.
:applause:

jankees
October 26th, 2014, 22:57
ORBX offer some (large) freeware (https://www.fullterrain.com/demos) chunks of their scenery, like Tasmania, so you can try it before you start buying it. Try it, and be prepared to be amazed compared to default FSX.
2D cockpits, I too preferred them, but no longer. Get an aircraft with a really nice VC and you'll see... My favorite cockpit is probably the A2A Spitfire, or the Aerosoft Catalina..

dhazelgrove
October 26th, 2014, 23:52
Welcome to 'The Dark Side'.

Dave

Naismith
October 27th, 2014, 00:10
I would recommend EZDOK as you dislike 3D cockpits. It certainly makes examining some of the harder to reach parts of the cockpit easier. It is a pest to program at first but once you get used to it, you won't want to go back. IMO. :encouragement:

BendyFlyer
October 27th, 2014, 02:19
Welcome to FSX, now it is great but like all stuff MS can be extremely frustrating but I think most of us get used to it over time, lets call it quirky and temperamental at times (why I have no idea just seems to be inherent in the MS daisy chain of OS's). Seems like you have FSX Deluxe and have had to put in SP1 and SP2. you will do yourself a big favour if you get a copy of FSX with Acceleration (I picked a copy up two weeks ago at local gamer shop on the bargain basement table fpr $30 US. It installs over the top of FSX with no issues but you have to get rid of SP2 first. In my humble and honest opinion FSX runs much better now than it did and it is quite a noticeable improvement as the Flight Replica people say it is a coding thing and is if you like a proper fix and should be considered mandatory if you want to use FSX properly. The real or modern FSX is of course now the Lockheed Martin P3D but that is a whole different ball game and if you are like me there is a lot of MS 2004 stuff that will not work properly on P3D but time will tell.

I can understand your reluctance re 2D v VC but keep at VC's it is worth it in the end once you configure a number of keystroke shortcuts, mouse controls etc it will be much easier to use and the sense of being there and overall enhancement to the sim experience is worth the time and effort. I no longer sim using any aircraft that does not have a VC and could not go back to a 2D cockpit. As some of the other posters advise, there a lot of FSX models that just dont have a 2D panel.

So many good models to use for FSX and they keep getting better particularly in the area of textures and shading and photo quality outcomes, it just depends on what your interests in aviation are, me I am basically 1930's to 1970 only and mostly props and especially flying boats. I am sure there a lots of members of SOH who will steer you in the right direction re quality freeware and payware.

Ferry_vO
October 27th, 2014, 02:41
1. To open 2D panels From the opening screen go to settings. Select Display. There is a check box there to select either 2d or 3d opening panel.

Or use F9 and F10 to switch between VC and 2D panel (Providing the aircraft comes with a 2D panel..)