PDA

View Full Version : Being dumb, blind and deaf

kelticheart
October 15th, 2014, 01:30
Hi everybody!

On Monday a huge rainstorm hit this area and, in this area, we were all :monkies:since a couple of hours ago.

The telephone company Telecom Italia HQ went under water, as two rivers meeting right in the city flash-flooded 1/3 of uptown Parma, dragging vehicles, rocks, uprooted trees, mud and all kind of debris through the city streets.

I cannot remember something like this happening since I was born and newspapers report there isn't any record of floods even in the past.

So, no telephones or Internet for almost 48 hours and connections are still faltering every now and then. No banking or working ATMs either, all the obvious consequences of an almost total communication blackout.

Thank God, at least, no one drowned, as these are are all intensely populated areas.

The area where I live was not affected by the flood, yet we had a thunderstorm with torrential rains lasting almost 4 hours in a row over our heads! All of this is happening after this year hideous summer, when it rained all along every other four or five days. We practically went from springtime directly into fall, skipping summer altogether. The ground is so soaked with water that it can't absorb a single drop anymore and rivers flood, inevitably, immediately as new rain falls. So much for those who still hold that the global weather changes are only a joke!

Being unable to use any type of telephone, home or mobile, watching the browser screen with the dreadful message that no connection could be established, offered more than one subject to meditate about.

First of all, Internet is not so invulnerable as many people think it is. Developed by military minds in the late 1950's who wanted an alternative way to communicate in case a nuclear attack would have destroyed the phone lines, here it was completely obliterated by a single flood which sent underwater the national phone company HQ.

Secondly, we all take for granted a lot of things that could disappear instantly, if someone or something pulled the plug somewhere.........:disturbed:

"Hal, open the door please........"

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Rami
October 15th, 2014, 02:19
Stefano,

I understand these life lessons well. One thing I learned from my dad is to always have some money (Read: CASH) close at hand (either in your wallet, car, or somewhere you can easily find it, even in the dark) in case the electricity goes out for long periods. This is why I hit the bank before a winter storm hits. There's a reason why people say that "cash is king."

Another lesson is to check the generator before every storm and get gasoline early, and to have a well-stocked first aid kit and at least three days of non-perishable food items. My daughter is old enough now that I am beginning to show her and teach her the ways that mom and dad work to keep them safe.

And yes, I agree about not taking the internet and phones for granted. Luckily I am part of the generation that is old enough to know how to cope without electricity and the internet. Watching younger people struggle with this is both amusing and frightening at the same time!

Blood_Hawk23
October 15th, 2014, 02:53
Though not a Mormon myself I've had a friend or two that were. They have a few practices that everyone should try to follow.

- Have 30 days worth of food and water on hand. Non perishable food. Stuff that can be eaten cold if necessary. Can goods work. Though some suggest MRE's.

- Have $5000 or more at the ready. This is Emergency funds not rainy day money. Its the type you bury in the back yard if you know what I mean.

- Have a "GET' bag with Extra clothes, First Aid Kit and/or a survival kit. One for each family member is recommended.

My self I do a modified version of this. Living up here in New England you have too.

I keep about two weeks work of non perishable food. Mostly Can goods and that sort of thing. We get a lot of power outages with the bad Nor'Easterns.

Money, Well... I try to have $100 to $500 on hand. Not that it always works out that way.

I do have a simple "GET" bag. I also have an old SEA bag with my Hunting clothes which also has my survival kit.

Technology is nice while it works. When it doesn't you have to be ready.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Sarg Willy
October 15th, 2014, 19:37
Jeepers, Kelti , ****e just happen,s ,, Taint got nuthing to do with Gobbel,s war propaganda ! Nor that faegot south of the boarder , Alis Gor-tex niether , There all carpet baggers trying to sell carbon credits , before the dollar crashes ,,,, they cana all kiss my grit,s ,,,
Did they ever get the fool,s from Greenpeace from the Ice Jam yet ??

kelticheart
October 15th, 2014, 23:21
Jeepers, Kelti , ****e just happen,s ,, Taint got nuthing to do with Gobbel,s war propaganda ! Nor that faegot south of the boarder , Alis Gor-tex niether , There all carpet baggers trying to sell carbon credits , before the dollar crashes ,,,, they cana all kiss my grit,s ,,,
Did they ever get the fool,s from Greenpeace from the Ice Jam yet ??

???????????????????????

Yo, Sarg!

What's today's code for my Enigma machine to decipher your message? :costumed-smiley-034:costumed-smiley-034

Cheers!

Blood_Hawk23
October 16th, 2014, 02:36
???????????????????????

Yo, Sarg!

What's today's code for my Enigma machine to decipher your message? :costumed-smiley-034:costumed-smiley-034

Cheers!

Its called sarcasm.

Yes there are people who talk like that. Just go to Alabama or western Georgia.

T'ain't Nut'n ta wurree about. :biggrin-new:

miamieagle
October 16th, 2014, 03:54
Thank God no one got hurt. Good times will come back come back to you!

We do not appreciate what we have until things like this happen to us.

But believe me better times will come back to you!

I wish you well my freind

kelticheart
October 17th, 2014, 01:30
Its called sarcasm.

Yes there are people who talk like that. Just go to Alabama or western Georgia.

T'ain't Nut'n ta wurree about. :biggrin-new:

Hi Blood_Hawk,

and exactly where do those people live? I lived in Atlanta for almost a year and a half back in 1993, but I never met anyone talking like that.

On the other hand, I did find a few who asked me where in the world I had picked such a Yankee accent....ayuh! :untroubled:

Cheers!