PDA

View Full Version : London Melbourne 2014: Help Thread

JimmyRFR
October 9th, 2014, 23:34
I'm really wanting to join in, as a rookie as well I guess... however, the plane I'd really like to fly is the Caudron C.460 by Restauravia. Who do I message or talk to about seeing if I can get it added to the list?

Not sure if it's a great choice, since it's a mighty exciting and temperamental thing to get into the air (much less back on the ground again), and I'm still trying to determine it's range in the sim (theoretically it should be good for 1000 km if the rendition matches the historical data).

I do have a few other choices, and I'm still not certain it wouldn't be best for a rookie like myself to fly in the modern class, but... stubbornness will likely prevail!

Moses03
October 10th, 2014, 14:04
Please post any additional questions or concerns you might have here. Rookies are especially welcome.:encouragement:

For the Race Committee,
Kevin

falcon409
October 10th, 2014, 17:28
Every time I install the Duenna. . .everything seems to go well except the "Realism Settings". . .so damned picky. Is there a how to that specifically runs down each setting?

Moses03
October 10th, 2014, 18:13
Ed, you can hover over the Duenna and it will tell you what it is looking for.

On Realism: Crash detection (on), Stress causes crash (ok), Unlimited fuel (off):

http://i62.tinypic.com/i2137s.jpg

From the rules:

Aircraft Realism. You must fly with (See Aircraft|Realism):
· the "unlimited fuel" box in realistic mode (that is, unchecked);
· crash detection enabled;
· the General and Crash Tolerance sliders set to the most realistic position (full right);
· Aircraft Stress Causes Damage enabled;

Here are my settings in FSX:

http://i62.tinypic.com/126604z.jpg

falcon409
October 10th, 2014, 19:36
Might be that P3D_V2x settings are somewhat different. The ones you mention here were set correctly in mine but there were others not included in FSX that I had checked as well and that might be the difference. I'll keep messing with it til I either break it or get a green indication. Also, in the setup there's no selection for the MacRobertson Air Race so I just selected the SOH Team for now. . . .and just like the RTWR, Realworld Weather remains yellow with FSrealWX_Lite.

This is what mine looks like. The shaded areas are what the Duenna says are the problem areas. Doesn't appear that way to me.

MM
October 10th, 2014, 20:12
Ed, for the Duenna "event" look for the following:

2014 london melbourne

We'll work to find a way to make all this work with P3D. (We'll have to trick the program a little as it is not written for P3D.)

Best,
M

falcon409
October 10th, 2014, 20:14

2014 london melbourne

Best,
M
Thanks Mike.

manfredc3
October 10th, 2014, 21:06
Sorry if it sound dumb but what is the "Duena" I am reading about, and where do I find it. Been looking all over the site, I must be dumb and blind at the same time :(

falcon409
October 10th, 2014, 21:13

2014 london melbourne

We'll work to find a way to make all this work with P3D. (We'll have to trick the program a little as it is not written for P3D.)

Best,
M
Mike, Not sure how many others will even be using P3D, but If I happen to be the only one and since I'm not flying "competitively" will it even matter really? Just a thought.

Demious
October 11th, 2014, 06:13
I'm also interested in entering with P3D2, but I'm having some problems with choosing an aircraft.

Of course I would like to do this with an age-appropriate aircraft, but looking at the list, I'm having some trouble, there. I understand the list given in the rules document is from 2009 and not many aircrafts are fit for use with P3D, already. I've been checking out aircrafts from the list, but so far I was able to find only 2 aircrafts: the Spartan Executive from Milton Shupe Team, but this one doesnt have click-spots in P3Dv2, and I've checked out the Alabeo D17S, but this one only has a VOR gauge and no ADF gauge. I dont have the experience with old-school navigation to do this whole race on dead reckoning, so I do need the use of an ADF.

Another thing would be that my experience with freeware addons is anything but positive and the same goes for trying FSX aircrafts in P3Dv2, so I only install items that have full P3Dv2 functionality and according installer.

Would it be possible to update the allowed aircraft list with some proper P3Dv2 ready aircrafts I could choose from? And it would be nice if those are indeed age-appropriate and not like the Alabeo D17S that is build with instruments that weren't even available at the time.

paiken
October 11th, 2014, 07:00
Sorry if it sound dumb but what is the "Duena" I am reading about, and where do I find it. Been looking all over the site, I must be dumb and blind at the same time :(

You can find links for the Duenna in Appendix B of the official rules for the 2014 race, as well as instructions on setting it up for the race.

http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/

Moses03
October 11th, 2014, 14:07
None of us on the race committee have P3D (or have ever used it as far as I know). As Mike said, we will have to come up with some solutions on that front for you P3D users.

flyon
October 11th, 2014, 14:50
Mike, Not sure how many others will even be using P3D, but If I happen to be the only one and since I'm not flying "competitively" will it even matter really? Just a thought.

I would also like to try this London-Melbourne thing out in P3D, but do it as Ed is flying it, as a non-competitive entry. I haven't decided on which turboprop to use yet, although I do like the Seneca V a lot (as seen in my avatar).

As far as the duenna goes for those who are flying competitive, an option to consider (for those using P3D) could be using FS Flying School for P3D (http://www.fsflyingschool.com/demo-p33.asp). It's about the price of a decent payware plane -which means it's not cheap, but worth every penny imo. I do own it, and it works very nicely in P3D...
For the record, I am not affiliated with FS Inventions in any way, shape or form. I simply think it's a good product that works as advertised, and it's a great alternative to the duenna- which -let's be honest about- we might not ever see made for use in P3D.

epwatson
October 11th, 2014, 16:17
Any chance we can have John Mueller update the duenna to make it compatible and allow it to be used?

Or if anyone has contact info for him, perhaps ask if one of us could take the project over and one of us can update it. :) Especially if we keep doing the RTWRace it will help include P3D in future or possible future FS versions if dovetail actually makes the franchise go somewhere

falcon409
October 11th, 2014, 17:59
Any chance we can have John Mueller update the duenna to make it compatible and allow it to be used?

Or if anyone has contact info for him, perhaps ask if one of us could take the project over and one of us can update it. :) Especially if we keep doing the RTWRace it will help include P3D in future or possible future FS versions if dovetail actually makes the franchise go somewhere
It really goes without saying that the Duenna has become rather long in the tooth at this point and is being stretched beyond it's coding. P3D isn't going away and with the RTWR looming for 2015. . .no solution to what ails it in regard to P3D will surely eliminate more and more prospective participants. Certainly, many folks still maintain several different sims on their system so falling back to FSX or FS9 is always an option. . .but there are others I would think that have dropped the older sims for the advances and performance enhancements offered by P3D. Those would be the participants that would be sidelined and participation is something that needs to be bolstered if the Races are to continue. A revamping of the Duenna is necessary. . .or an alternative found, if there is one.

manfredc3
October 11th, 2014, 18:12
You can find links for the Duenna in Appendix B of the official rules for the 2014 race, as well as instructions on setting it up for the race.

http://johannesmueller.com/fs/web/duenna/

Thanks for the link. I have been reading the rules, but have not finished it yet.

salt_air
October 12th, 2014, 03:45
As far as the duenna goes for those who are flying competitive, an option to consider (for those using P3D) could be using FS Flying School for P3D (http://www.fsflyingschool.com/demo-p33.asp). It's about the price of a decent payware plane -which means it's not cheap, but worth every penny imo. I do own it, and it works very nicely in P3D...

Hey Steve ... welcome to the foray bud!

Are you saying this program for P3D you mention will validate sim settings and generate at least a text log the same as the Duenna does for MSFS?

I know you have used the Duenna successfully in other MSFS events .... will this work to merge the two sims so they can compete together on a even playing field?

I haven't got a clue about P3D (yet) .....

MM
October 12th, 2014, 05:36
To: JimmyVFR
RE: Caudron C.460

Hi Jimmy

We took your request to Miss Nellie who accepted it with a sort of curious calm. She passed it on to Tex Winters down on the flightline. He and his pilots put the two Caudron aircraft through the a series of tests and sent the evaluations back. Here is Miss Nellie's judgment.

--
We have tested the Gilles Faulmeyer models of the Caudron C.450 and the Caudron C.460.

This is a truly wonderful rendition of a charismatic aircraft, one of real historical significance. And it fits into the era beautifully. A lovely aircraft.

However, the C.460 is just too fast for this particular competition. The top speed our test pilots obtain is about 288 KTAS which is something like 50 KTAS faster than the next competitor. The simulation numbers are fine in terms of the speed records that pilots set in 1935 and 1936. This is not a realism question, merely one of setting a competitive event in which multiple aircraft and strategies are viable.

As with other excellent aircraft of the era that break the London-Melbourne competition, the C.460 will have to remain on an "honor roll" that misses the White List. It joins the company of other splendid aircraft like the Hughes H1, the Gee Bee R6 QED, and the Laird Turner Meteor.

The Gilles Faulmeyer Caudron C.450 will be just fine for the Race. Unhappily, it appears to be a bit slow when compared to the top speed records that it produced later in 1934 and in 1935. Of course, a simulation of the (May 27, 1934) Coupe de la Meurthe race-winning C.450 need not be expected to produce world-record-setting times – which rose over time. Our test pilots' top speed at 4,000' is about 209 KTAS (knots true airspeed). Maurice Arnoux's average speed when winning the closed-circuit Coupe was just about 209 KTAS. In August of 1934, Hélène Boucher set speed records of 222 and 246 KTAS. And in May 1935 Raymond Delmotte won the Coupe at 240 KTAS. The later C.450 seems to have had installed a larger more powerful Renault engine. So perhaps Faulmeyer modeled the earlier manifestation.

For more technical details, see Leglise, Pierre. 1935. The 1934 Contest for the Deutsch de la Meurthe Trophy. L'Aeronautique (July 1934). Technical Memorandum 765. National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. (Available from Cranfield University: http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/reports/1935/naca-tm-765.pdf )

Tell the young man that if he is keen on the beautiful Caudron, he should turn his eye toward the C.450 model in which Maurice Arnoux won the Coupe.

---

So it seems that only the slower fixed-gear Caudron C.450 will make the White List. If you would like a faster "racing" plane, you might consider the Northrop Gamma which is freeware but rather old. Better, you might look at the Percival Mew Gull which is represented by two good freeware versions and by an excellent payware version by Flying Stations. The freeware Gee Bee Model Z is fast but short-legged. And the payware Gee Bee Model R-2 is fast with better range.

Or you might choose another way to go.

In any case, we are keen on encouraging your participation. The Caudron C.460 is certainly an excellent choice, but one that just won't work for this particular competition. Lots of other good choices, though.

Best,
The Committee

falcon409
October 12th, 2014, 07:27
. . . . .Are you saying this program for P3D you mention will validate sim settings and generate at least a text log the same as the Duenna does for MSFS?
I know you have used the Duenna successfully in other MSFS events .... will this work to merge the two sims so they can compete together on a even playing field?

If I were heavy into Simming and Racing I would be inclined to look into this and do some serious investigating (but I'm not, so I won't). There seems to be a ton of options available with it's use. . .actually so many that it's hard to take in at a single glance. I doubt that it will be a serious contender to the Duenna, simply because it's payware and that automatically makes it very questionable as a total replacement. Folks new to the Racing scene and those well established racers (who have moved completely to P3D) will not appreciate having to buy software in order to participate and that's the major reason I don't see FS Flying School as a viable option.

flyon
October 12th, 2014, 09:09
Hey Steve ... welcome to the foray bud!

Thanks Austin.
I'm not saying I can go from every leg from YMEN Melbourne to EGLC London City.
In fact, it's gonna be downright impossible for me to do every leg -I got too much irl stuff going on atm- but I do want to see what all the fuss is about...

Are you saying this program for P3D you mention will validate sim settings and generate at least a text log the same as the Duenna does for MSFS?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying about FS Flying School (FSFS) -sort of.
It will produce a log of your flight, which is found in your pilot's logbook in FSFS. You can also post a link to the flight map of the flight itself, as can be seen at the top in my text file linked below.
I took the liberty of posting a pic of the FSD Piper Seneca V used in this flight today, the flightmap of that flight, and a textfile of the flight log.

Now this FSFS system isn't fail/foolproof by any means, which is precisely why I am going in this event handicapped.
Keep in mind that FSFS was developed for those of us flight simmers who want to learn the more intricate details of flight in general, whereas the Duenna was created (I am assuming) for accurate and true record keeping in events such as the RTW event or an event like this London-Melbourne thingy now.
In short, without a Duenna for P3D, there really isn't any solution -strike that, there is a looming alternative: P3D simply cannot officially be used for any RTW or London-Melbourne type event -which will be a big turn-off for those who will NEVER look back to FS9 or FSX...

Overall, in all honesty, it will be a pain to have to do all of this on each and every flight from London to Melbourne or vice-versa, and it looks more and more like this event now will have to be done "officially" in FS9 or FSX, unless someone out there can figure out a solution -more on that later.

The skinny on P3D imo: it's an awesome platform, and with P3D, a new standard has been set for flight sim now. It's easy to see why so many have made it their number one choice for flight simming and flight education.

The pics and txt file from today's flight:

Anyhow, it's good to chat with you again bud, and good luck on your upcoming journey here.
I'll be in the peanut gallery rootin' for ya... :applause:

flyon
October 12th, 2014, 09:19

Personally, I think you are the man for the job.
I think anyone in the flight sim community can attest to that statement simply by looking at all of your past experience with what you have done "behind the scenes" with flight sim in general.

Also:

You can email him...when I emailed him, he responded within a day.

He went above and beyond to responding to my inquiry. And for the record, you will not meet a kinder more knowledgeable developer imo.
He is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, and I would bet the farm that he would also go "above and beyond" to help you out if you are serious (which sounds to me that you truly are) about trying to develop a version of his Duenna for P3D.
I really don't see why it isn't possible, but even as good as you are with the tech stuff, I can't see it happening this year -it's too much to ask of you in such short notice imo.
Anyways, good luck to you if you do attempt to try to do so.

PS: if you do attempt to do this Duenna for P3D down the road at some point and do come up with something, I would be more than glad to help you beta test it out for bugs or glitches, if that would be necessary.

flyon
October 12th, 2014, 09:35
There seems to be a ton of options available with it's use. . .actually so many that it's hard to take in at a single glance.

Yes, there is a lot in there,and that's not even talking about the many "detail packs" that go with it. Some are included, and some are payware addons.
I use the 737 detail pack in FSX every once in a while, but for the most part I don't use any of them, I'm happy with what is standard operating equipment within P3D.

I doubt that it will be a serious contender to the Duenna, simply because it's payware and that automatically makes it very questionable as a total replacement. Folks new to the Racing scene and those well established racers (who have moved completely to P3D) will not appreciate having to buy software in order to participate and that's the major reason I don't see FS Flying School as a viable option.

I totally agree with everything you say here. In the end, FSFS really isn't a viable solution to anything, and most certainly our conundrum here now.
I use FSFS for FS9 and FSX, and now I use it extensively in P3D. I like the product, and I only simply offered it up as a suggestion. At this time, I have yet to find anything comparable for P3D flight mapping/logging.

(Time for me to get off the :a1451: now ...lol)

To go back to what you said earlier, and as far as this event goes, going this event in FS9 or FSX is a viable option indeed, and it might be the only way one can enter this event competitively.

I'm going it in P3D to see how L-M renders different parts of the world I have seen way too many times in FS9 and FSX. Besides, for me, change is good every once in a while...:untroubled:

Thanks Ed.

JimmyRFR
October 12th, 2014, 11:38
To: The Committee
RE: Caudron C.460

Thank you for passing on Miss Nellie's ruling on the matter. I was hoping the high speed was a decent trade off against the rather short legs of the Caudron C.460. However, as I'd of had to land at almost every optional stop, and knowing very well the 'exciting' nature of the C.460 on it's ground roll, perhaps this is a good decision that may extend my health!

And of course, everyone else is afraid of the fine French construction of the Caudron... While nosing about different pubs in both merry England as well as the Continent in the month leading up to this race, I've had several attempts made by some rather shady fellows to place me in the infirmary. So far I've been lucky, but next time, who knows!

The slower speed of the C.450, along with it's short range, would make for a certain loss I'm afraid, and I'm unsure that my benefactors would agree to such an scenario. They already have me investigating a few other designs. None, I'm afraid, that would be as exciting as the Caudron, but we shall see what they decide!

Best regards!

AussieMan
October 12th, 2014, 15:10
Following a request from Mike about how I got the Duenna to work in P3D I tried to emulate my settings from when I was using P3D V1.2 but could not get them to work in P3D V2.4.

I even went to the P3D V2.4 folder in my users section and created a dummy FS9 cfg file but that would not work. You need RW for it to work. You may get away with Active Sky but I am using ASN and it does not work.

Not sure if John has updated but I am running V136 OF the RTW Duenna.

falcon409
October 12th, 2014, 16:41
Following a request from Mike about how I got the Duenna to work in P3D I tried to emulate my settings from when I was using P3D V1.2 but could not get them to work in P3D V2.4.
I even went to the P3D V2.4 folder in my users section and created a dummy FS9 cfg file but that would not work. You need RW for it to work. You may get away with Active Sky but I am using ASN and it does not work.
Not sure if John has updated but I am running V136 of the RTW Duenna.
I think once P3D moved from the V1.x versions into the V2.x it changed significantly with respect to coding across the board. The Duenna, because it hasn't been kept up in ages is now unusable for P3D participants. Is Johannes even still associated with the utility? If not, then it will require some serious rewriting I would imagine. As I mentioned in one of my posts above, those who have kept at least FSX can fall back to that sim for contests of this sort that require the use of the Duenna. . .but the number of P3D users who are leaving those sims behind is growing and it's those prospective participants that will be left out of future gatherings. As for RWW. . .that doesn't concern me. . .I get a yellow indication and that's good enough to get a good flight after 4 or 5 hours of flying, but the Realism settings in P3D_V2.4 are correct but I still get an indication that they are not set correctly and that "is" a problem. That's before even getting off the ground. . .who knows what the Duenna would find fault with once you're cruising along about 2 hours into a flight and something P3D does throws it into a tizzy.

AussieMan
October 12th, 2014, 20:23
Ed that is what I was getting with my Realism settings. Yellow for the weather but cannot remember whether the weather in earlier versions of P3D were green or yellow.

This is what I got this morning:

Realism: RED
Weather: YELLOW
All others: GREEN

falcon409
October 13th, 2014, 04:10
Ed that is what I was getting with my Realism settings. Yellow for the weather but cannot remember whether the weather in earlier versions of P3D were green or yellow.

This is what I got this morning:

Realism: RED
Weather: YELLOW
All others: GREEN
Yep, same thing I get. I'm going to do a test with the Duenna and fly a portion of one leg of the race and then send the Duenna log and map to Mike so he can look it over.

Demious
October 13th, 2014, 05:29
As far as the duenna goes for those who are flying competitive, an option to consider (for those using P3D) could be using FS Flying School for P3D (http://www.fsflyingschool.com/demo-p33.asp).

I've got FS Flying School, so that wouldnt be a problem. Any tip on how to use it for such purpose would be great, since I havent used it a lot and I'm not sure what it can do and how to use it in such manner.

I've found some pre-1938 aircrafts to test for P3D, but in the two weeks until the race it's a bit short to learn and test them. For me it's the first time I'm going to do a thing like this and even though I want to try to fly it dead reckoning, I'm think I'm going to use my old and trusted Skymaster. I'll see if I can test some aircraft and make some recommendations for golden age aircrafts for P3D, but that's going to be for the next race, I'm afraid.

About installing Duenna in P3Dv2, I read someone has tried to create a dummy FS9.cfg, but shouldnt that be a FS9.exe? Or Both?

Demious
October 13th, 2014, 05:54
A question about one model aircraft, though. What I understand is that the Waco F-series are from the 1930s, but there are also newer replicas made and I cant really find if the Alabeo Waco YMF5 would be a contester for the race, or if this is one the later build replicas.
Does anyone know if this aircraft would fit the category of golden age aircraft?

falcon409
October 13th, 2014, 06:09
. . . . .About installing Duenna in P3Dv2, I read someone has tried to create a dummy FS9.cfg, but shouldn't that be a FS9.exe? Or Both?
I did a test flight this morning of about an hour duration to get a decent readout for the Duenna Log file. Prior to takeoff and turning on the Duenna I made sure the weather engine was active (I'm using FSrealWX_Lite) and realism settings were correct, then activated the Duenna (red on realism and yellow for weather, everything else green). . .took off and climbed to altitude for the flight. After landing and the Duenna validated the flight (Not Valid by the way), I closed the flight and viewed the log file. The very first ERROR was the following:
Errors:
13.10.2014 12:21:04z ERROR: FS9.CFG is not readable: Can't open 'D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\FS2002.CFG' for reading: 53 - File not found

Further down there was this:
Info: Looks like FS2002
Info: Configuration-File: D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\FS2002.CFG
Info: REALISM/CrashDetection: '0' (NOT GOOD)
Info: REALISM/StressDamage: '' (NOT GOOD)
Info: REALISM/UnlimitedFuel: '' (NOT GOOD)
Info: Weather/LoadWeather: '0' (NOT GOOD)
Info: REALISM/CrashTolerance: '0'

So that's what it's looking for and not sure how to get around it.

MM
October 13th, 2014, 06:52
This is excellent news Ed.

Your test suggests that P3D users might use the Duenna for most purposes. The program will not be able to certify the pre-flight settings realism. The Duenna doesn't know where to find those data. (Neither do we. Does anyone here know where P3D keeps those settings? Is there some sort of initial conditions file?)

But crucially, the test confirms that the Duenna will be able to monitor the actual flight and report on successes. And also, your test was able to activate the live tracking via the Duenna website! So we can all follow along with our P3D pilots as well. And the tracker website will store a backup logfile.

In practice, for our not-so-competitive event, this means that P3D users can use the Duenna to certify their flights. You will have to be on "pilot's honor" to get the realism settings correct. But you will be able to authenticate your successful legs with all the accuracy and ease of the Duenna program. (Thanks again to John Mueller.)

Much appreciated, Ed (falcon409)! Very good news for P3Ders.

Might some other P3D pilots try this out. You want to install the Duenna as normal (see the rules appendix for help). Set your realism correctly and start your live weather program. Then set your flight and activate the Duenna. You will get errors in the Duenna panel. (You may also get a warning to restart. Ignore this and click through.) Despite the errors in the startup panel, take off and complete a flight. The Duenna should work normally for the in-flight portion of its monitoring. We hope. Please report your experiences.

Here is a question for non-P3D pilots. Would anyone feel uncomfortable with our allowing P3D pilots to authenticate their legs with a combination of (a) "pilot's honor" on the realism settings and (b) the Duenna for the rest? Without objections, we'll work on a procedure that will allow P3D pilots to move forward.

--M

SkippyBing
October 13th, 2014, 09:58
(Neither do we. Does anyone here know where P3D keeps those settings? Is there some sort of initial conditions file?)

I believe it's in the Prepar3D.cfg file located in "C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2" so pretty similar to FSX.

salt_air
October 13th, 2014, 13:45
Here is a question for non-P3D pilots. Would anyone feel uncomfortable with our allowing P3D pilots to authenticate their legs with a combination of (a) "pilot's honor" on the realism settings and (b) the Duenna for the rest? Without objections, we'll work on a procedure that will allow P3D pilots to move forward.--M

Hi Mike,

I don't want this taken wrong, but this event (everyone we've ever done) is and has been planned and considered (understood) for MSFS .... either FSX or FS9.

There has been no previous work ... actually there has (Aussieman for one), but so far no reconciliation between the two formats (second version P3D and MSFS) even though they are similar in some respects.

Again don't take this wrong anybody, but these two formats as of this writing don't gel and therefore can't be judged on a level playing field.

More important than that is it's not fair to the committee to feel the burden of providing a place for what is right now a close, but outside normal operations program that has no known way to connect to what has been offered.

I'm not mad at anybody or upset in any way ... as a matter of fact I volunteer as much help as I can muster to see this situation to resolve for the future of events in general and if working together ... on the side ... can bring about a solution before the race is complete.

However unless that condition can be met, I feel like it's just too much expected of the race organizers and committee to try to blend both the event and discovering a way to shoehorn the use of P3D .... in fact invent a way that is unknown anywhere.

Two separate tasks and operations .... lets' all try to get the duenna to work or maybe find yet another common validation system to help in future events and grow our fine hobby and broaden the field .... but unless there can be a fix or solution found in a timely manner for this specific event the P3D guys should be willing to plug along for the fun of it or fire up and instance of MSFS which I feel most of us have.

In closing it's not as much about the honesty thing (I have no reason to think that this is not resident at all times in everything we do together) as it is the use of the accumulated data that the duenna program affords to bring scoring into line on an even playing field.

After that last entrant has crossed the finish line the committee has to sort out and validate every stinkin' flight that everyone of us flew and provide a race tally of those figures that will show who did the best .... the worst .... first ... second ... third ... best fuel economy if needed .... shortest distance .... blah, blah, blah ... with data that came from the same common source.

I hope all can read my sympathy expressed for what the committee would have to accomplish .... also my enthusiasm about finding a way to work this out for the future of Sim events.

Let's make a separate thread in this forum to discuss how best to work out a useful validation for P3D and let's leave this one open for questions and assistance for registered Rookies and anyone else that may want to take the plunge for the first time.

A third a final concern is about any first timers visiting here .... trying to sort through all of this.

Most all of us have been flying and trading posts together for a very long time and that allows us to toss subject matter like this around in a positive and usually productive manner, but just imagine being a newbie or Rookie and being maybe a bit overwhelmed with all there is here to sort out ... not far to those guys either.

Cheers,

MM
October 13th, 2014, 14:58
Good idea to move the more specialized P3D discussion to its own thread. Here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?90089-London-Melbourne-2014-P3D&p=910456#post910456

We will thus open up the "Help" thread for its vital mission of helping everyone get up to speed to have fun in the event.

Let's make a separate thread in this forum to discuss how best to work out a useful validation for P3D and let's leave this one open for questions and assistance for registered Rookies and anyone else that may want to take the plunge for the first time.

PRB
October 13th, 2014, 16:18
I created this “nav panel” for one of our “no GPS” events a few years ago. It contains the gauges needed to navigate by ADF stations only. Two ADF radios, a duel ADF gauge, two stop watches, a signal strength meter, and the default DC-3 auto-pilot. The two stop watches are very useful for me. I sometimes plan my leg such that there are a couple of ADF stations along the way. I want to know the elapsed time since passing the last station, as well as the total elapsed time for the leg. So, two stop watches. The signal strength meter gives you a very basic idea of how far you might be from the station. And it makes me feel good when it jumps to the right...

You know it's quality equipment because it's from Lucas Electric...

Read the readme for installation. Pretty basic. All the gauges are freeware, and are contained in the package, so no need to add anything to your main gauges folder if you don't want to.

JimmyRFR
October 14th, 2014, 10:22
To: The Committee
RE: Caudron C.450

It's been a long week of traipsing around both England and the Continent and to tell you the truth, I'm getting worn out before this race has even begun!

The not-so-fine gentlemen at De Havilland have refused my request to let me fly one of their 'precious' Comets that they have in testing. Something about a few words I 'may' have said in a local pub... I thoroughly deny all allegations of course, but you understand how it goes.

I've also taken a look at a fine looking machine over at Percival Aircraft in Gravesend; unfortunately, while I was visiting they still seemed to be still be working out a few kinks in their new Mew Gull. It's a toss up whether they'll have it ready and running smooth for the start of the race. They seemed like fine gents, I hope they do! However, as I don't really want to spend any time stranded somewhere in the desert (or worse), I'm going to let them stick with the pilot they have!

A few other offers came (and went). A fairly interesting but poor paying offer to promote the new Beech Model 17. An offer to be one of the pilots on a second team flying the Boeing 247. An offer from the Granville brothers to fly a purpose built Model R (which I had to reject immediately... I do value my health a bit, you know!).

Alas! All this time spent and no other plane deemed suitable! My backers were suitably discouraged, and as a result only one backer is left: a Lady of considerable wealth from Montreal. I do believe she inherited... ah no matter! I shall get to my point: She prefers I fly something of French design, and is willing to support my effort in the Caudron previously indicated by this Fine Committee as being acceptable for this race, the C.450! I have assured her that we are at a disadvantage having not the upper hand in speed nor range, but she will hear none of it!

And so, before we actually come to any sort of formal agreement with the manufacturer, I would ask this Committee to re-confirm the eligibility of the Caudron C.450, along with the official handicap listing for said plane. It remains to be seen, depending on Her Stubbornness, whether we shall enter in the speed race or the handicap!

spokes2112
October 17th, 2014, 03:42
Hi All,

I just recently had problems with FSRealWX PRO. It only had to do with the "Aircraft Config" tab. Never used that feature before. Maybe I should look at the newest readme(s) , it's been awhile. I assumed that by importing an aircraft.cfg into the program would give speeds and such so planning speeds could be estimated "psuedo" after WX is injected. Plus there is a "SAVE" button. (OUCH!) What happened is as such.

In the Duenna tracked flights 2014-10-16 13:05:25 (http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=IZ8fj3HxxAneJz69AGBkgVln4c) and 2014-10-16 13:20:10 (http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFlight.php?flight=tlk15ZrMANpeLrCGHG8MjmJMs) I crashed while leisurely flying through crappy WX while trying to gain speed. KABOOM! Crash. Been flying long enough in her thinking - Whatsup? At first I thought it was wind shifts popping the MACH overspeed. NOPE. Flying without Duenna it still crashed. Then looked at the crashed Duenna outputs and found this.

Enroute:
Aircraft-Reference: Vne=184KIAS, Vcruise=213KTAS, Mmo=M0.000, Empty weight=2740.0 lbs

It seems after looking at the aircraft.cfg that it was modified,,, BADLY! When I first opened it up in "NoteTab Light" it barked saying there were multiple "illegal" characters and by clicking OK it would try to rectify. It did. With HTML. Anyhow it was a cluster ____. What I found is that The WX prog had put an extra [Reference Speeds] section at the very end of the aircraft.cfg amongst other crap.

Ended up manually removing the HTML & illegal code from all the paints then getting a raw aircraft.cfg from the archives and replacing all of that other than the paints and saving it. BS! The next flight was good..... Great actually.:jump: After a couple of hours putzing trying to find what was fubar. This is what it should look and fly like.

Enroute:
Aircraft-Reference: Vne=225KIAS, Vcruise=184KTAS, Mmo=M0.389, Empty weight=2740.0 lbs

P.S. The other 2 crashes in that timeframe were: 1. Bad scenery management, KGRB - X will crash when moving around it when crash is turned on. 2. Sub-Par Piloting, forgot to reset the elevator trim. :redfire: BOOM.

FSRealWX PRO is a very good program, for WX... This is just a heads up. If others use this feature and it works plz let me/us know via PM or other.

PRB
October 17th, 2014, 04:37
Wow. Thanks Roman. That's good to know. Just looked at my "Lite" version, and I don't think it has that "feature" included (good!)

Ron Attwood
October 17th, 2014, 10:27
Things are coming together nicely but I have a couple of questions.
1: Regarding the Baton settings. If I'm doing this on a solo basis do I select 'I have the baton' or do I put a tick in the 'Arm baton auto pick up'?
2: I start from XXXX and head off into the proverbial. At the end of my stint, wherever it may be, do I save the flight and reload when I return, setting the appropriate time?
3: Uploading Duenna file and.jpg. Do I do this at the end of every session or at specific times/intervals?

I think that's it. Thank you for your forebearance. (Should you have any left! :smile-new:)

paiken
October 17th, 2014, 11:00
Things are coming together nicely but I have a couple of questions.
1: Regarding the Baton settings. If I'm doing this on a solo basis do I select 'I have the baton' or do I put a tick in the 'Arm baton auto pick up'?
2: I start from XXXX and head off into the proverbial. At the end of my stint, wherever it may be, do I save the flight and reload when I return, setting the appropriate time?
3: Uploading Duenna file and.jpg. Do I do this at the end of every session or at specific times/intervals?

I think that's it. Thank you for your forebearance. (Should you have any left! :smile-new:)

1. I use the 'Arm baton auto pick up' ...it prevents me from forgetting to press the baton button and have to start over again (which I have done more than once). :biggrin-new:

2. Upload the Duenna and .jpg after each flight...you don't want to miss one and have Miss Nellie sending you a 'reminder'. Once you've done a couple of legs you'll be a pro...

Moses03
October 17th, 2014, 11:30
I like the auto arm too but for this event, keep in mind if you tick that setting you might paint yourself into a corner.

For example, if you get lost and land at the wrong airport your Duenna will end the flight flight there and you might get hit with a landing at an "other" airport penalty. Otherwise you can land with the Duenna still running, ask for directions (check map) and then be on your way to the intended correct airport.

From the rules:

If you are hopelessly lost, you may land and ask for directions. As long as you do not refuel, there is no official timing involved here except for the fact that your Duenna clock is running. You land and then take off without "releasing the baton". While stopped on the ground, you may consult all your maps, including your electronic moving maps, to find your location. After "asking for directions", you then take off again while the Duenna is still running.

You don't have to save your flight or time after each run but if you do decide to fly more than one segment per day you do have to keep the time linear. In other words you can't keep resetting the time back to get perfect daylight.

Rules:

When you make multiple flights on the same real life day, you must make the simulator takeoff time of each subsequent flight follow the simulator landing time for the preceding flight. For example you dedicate a Saturday afternoon to make several flights. The first lands in Karachi at 10:08 am local simulator time. The next takeoff, from Karachi, must be after 10:08 am local simulator time. You land at 12:31 pm and then take off after 12:31 pm. And so on for every subsequent flight on that Saturday.
Thus, if you wish to make several long flights in one day, you should start early in the simulator morning and may find yourself flying into the simulator night.

Make sense?
Kevin

Ron Attwood
October 17th, 2014, 12:07
Make sense?
Kevin

Perfick. :biggrin-new:

JimmyRFR
October 17th, 2014, 14:41
A question regarding multiple flights on the same day (while I await patiently the committee's number crunching for my plane of choice):

Kevin, you gave an example where the flight lands at 10:08, so the next flight must takeoff at 10:08. If partaking in the speed race, would the ground time be added in? As in, the flight lands at 10:08, ground time is a mandatory xx number of minutes, the next flight takes off at 10:08 + ground time?

Moses03
October 17th, 2014, 15:17
Jim, as long as you start your next flight later than 10:08 you will be fine. You don't have to be that precise. The aim is to keep the sim clock going in sequence so that you don't start the second flight at say 8:50.

Depending on where you land the ground time added would be:

(1) Official Required Control and Optional Checking Points.
(45 minutes for the Speed Race, 0 for the Handicap Race).

(2) Unofficial but Listed Refueling Airports.
(90 minutes for all Golden Age pilots).

(3) Other Unlisted Airports.
(150 minutes for all Golden Age pilots).

(4) “Getting Un-lost” Fields.*
(0 minutes, but ONLY if you neither reset Duenna nor take on fuel. 10 minutes if you restart without refueling. Otherwise as (3) above).

You don't have to actually wait out the times above. They will be added separately to that segment either by you or one of the committee. PRB will especially be paying attention to all the flight times and ground times to keep things in order.

*Note that (4) is currently being tweaked. Please stay tuned.

Also- We should have an answer on the Caudron any time now. Thanks for your patience!

MM
October 17th, 2014, 17:03
To: JimmyRFR.

Jim, we have already communicated directly to you and your Canadian backer. This, the formal part of the message, is published here so that everything is transparent. It is a note from "Slipstick" Williams, Tex Winter's main test pilot and part time engineer.

--------------

The charismatic Caudron C.450 by Gilles Faulmeyer is certainly eligible. The delay is generated by a need to look more closely at the handicap values.

The difficulty lies in the speed/range differences associated with runs a different altitudes. For the Handicap Race, where the number of stops matters relatively little, the key factors are speed and distance. The range is important to the extent to which a longer range allows a pilot to slice hundreds of miles off the route. For most aircraft, it is worth giving up a few knots of true airspeed in order to shorten the route.

However, in the case of the Caudron C.450 and the Gee Bee Model Z, the range stretching associated with higher and slower flying does not help on the overall distance. Thus, the question is "how much range is needed" in the tradeoff against speed.

For the short-legged racers, the race will comprise of 24 legs. The question is: how much range is necessary to fly the main number of those legs? The longest leg is from Athens to Aleppo (652.7nm). However, because most legs are much shorter, the racer will not need to fly at the speed/altitude that yields 653nm but once in the race. If we take a rough demarcation point of 500nm, we see that 18 of the 24 are shorter. Another 5 are between 507-567nm. And only one over 600nm. So a speed/altitude/range combination that yields a maximum speed for about 500nm would seem to be a reasonable standard.

Our tests (maximum throttle and automixture) show the following results for the Caudron C.450. Each set of numbers are the maximum speed, altitude, and range.

201…10,000…581
205…7,000…505
209…4,000…445

Setting a handicap speed of 205 (which yields a range of 505nm) means that for 18 legs the pilot can fly at 205 KTAS or faster. Many legs can be flown at 209 KTAS. For the remaining six legs, he will have to fly slightly slower. Given the relative number of miles at the different speeds, the pilot should be able to exceed the 205 average reference speed during the course of the race. (Of course, the need for climb/descent/approach/roll out will mean a slightly slower racing speed. And winds, weather, and pilot skill will matter a lot.)

Hope this helps understand the behind the scenes testing, calculation, and evaluation.

salt_air
October 17th, 2014, 17:05
... or officially posting your progress throughout the race.

To make up for the sim not having real spectators or a way to actually man the Compulsory Checkpoints to verify that each pilot made it ... Each pilot will start his own thread to announce his official start and what aircraft he is using.

He will make individual posts that basically substantiate each and every take off and landing from the start at Mildenhall AB London (EGUN) to his successful landing at Essendon Melbourne (YMEN) ... and ALL points in between.

With the exception of an occasional "Atta-Boy" from members of the Peanut Gallery, other pilots and such .... and maybe
[== done - da - done - done === sung to the theme from the old TV series "Dragnet" ] ..... a word from Miss Nellie ... all of the parts, legs, segments, what have ya including total time of each pilot's trip "Down Under" can be complied from that pilot's posts ... like a log or short journal.

Done correctly a total stranger to the event should be able to "walk up" and read your consecutive posts and add up all of the flight time as well as see at a glance (each post) where and when you had a crash (if at all) as well as whether or not you made every Compulsory Checkpoint or stopped for fuel or just to get directions .... whatever.

For our purpose this "Duenna" you have heard about or seen mentioned will fill the gap of no simulated witness to events by validating and documenting more than you can imagine or I want to get into now.

This is a Sample Run .... just a short hop out of Mildenhall EGUN in the deHavilland DH 80 Puss Moth ... to Crowfield EGSO

Include the departure airport's ICAO code and your intended destination airport's code and what aircraft you are flying.

Maybe a little "color" like a comment on the weather or a concern you may have as you begin the takeoff roll .... like do I have enough fuel? .... or will the current wind stay "with me" .... or why when I look in the mirror do my nose and ears look bigger every year?

Then make the post (hit submit reply) and start your takeoff roll making sure to push the "I have the baton, BEGIN" button on the Duenna or by having checked prior the Arm baton auto-pickup box.

As you climb out check that the Duenna has started recording and all is "Green" .... just like when you were sitting waiting to take off.

While you fly to your destination your post will be on your thread in the forum .... anybody reading could see that you had just taken off .... know where you intended to land and probably make a good guess as to when you would arrive depending on the aircraft you posted you were flying.

Then after landing .... plane stopped .... Duenna stopped .... you post that you have arrived safe .... down safe ..... whatever .... and then locate and attach the two files auto-generated by the Duenna .... just like you would a screenshot.

You'll need both the jpeg (Map) file and the txt Log file that will show up as a link in your post.

You can see what they look like in the next (2) post(s).

Your thread will show all of your activity in chronological order .... a rhythm of take off post .... landing post .... take off post .... landing post .... and so on and so on.

salt_air
October 17th, 2014, 17:07
Taking off a bit early to make the day longer .... maybe get in an extra flight.

Light variable winds and very hazy - foggy

Leaving now EGUN - EGSO in the deHaviland DH 80

salt_air
October 17th, 2014, 17:08
Easy going flying low on the fog the whole way ..... took the whole runway to stop.

jt_dub
October 17th, 2014, 18:37
Reading through the rules carefully I noted the following section:

Realistic Environment. Please run the simulator with realistic scenery/mesh/clouds set-tings. While you are encouraged to maximize realism, these are the absolutely minimal conditions:
 Scenery. Autogen density: Normal. Scenery Complexity: Normal.
 Mesh. Keep the terrain mesh you normally use. A minimum standard would be the default mesh (with a 38m resolution setting in FSX).
 Weather. Weather options: Real-world weather (updated every 15 minutes if the internet connection permits).
 Clouds. Cloud draw distance: 60mi. Detailed clouds/Cloud coverage density: Medium. (And for FS2004, 3-D cloud percentage: 100.)

If your computer equipment does not allow these minimum settings, please ask for a waiver and you will automatically receive one.

During testing for the Modern Era I found that I was unable to complete a planned leg into EGLC without getting VAS warnings and in several instances actual OOM. This occured with my default realism settings which are higher than the minimum. The aircraft is quite complex and the problem on this leg the route crosses the following scenery addons:

Scenery 1 - UTX Europe
Scenery 2 - FTX Global
Scenery 3 - FTX EU Landclass
Scenery 4 - FTX England
Scenery 5 - FS Genisis Mesh

I tried enabling and disabling the scenery addons but was unable to reduce the VAS in static tests by more than 3K. I have had to reduce the sliders below minimal settings to achieve a safe VAS on arrival in England. I will likely need to request a waiver prior to flying this leg.

My normal high settings have be OK for practice legs in other parts of the route where the scenery demands are less intense.

Other participants who are running complex scenery and/or aircraft may want to perform similar testing.

srgalahad
October 17th, 2014, 18:57
Thanks Austin for the demo postings.

A couple of things that I'll add...
anomalies appear, errors happen, mistakes might be made - share the agony and the details. Miss Nellie respects honesty and abhors the devious, so if something doesn't "seem right" with your flight or results, 'fess up. It's easier all around to get an early resolution to those situations so you can move on, rather than have one of the eagle-eyed auditors notice a discrepancy and raise it with the committee or the audience later. Sometimes it's simply a clerical error or oversight in posting that can be rectified with an admonishing note from "Herself" but in any case sooner is always better.

Also, while this is very independent and disjointed compared to the RTWR, we do encourage interaction, so if you feel comfortable flying online and/or lust for company, include it in your departure post so the bored ones can perhaps look over your shoulder or add moral support. The SOH flight servers are available (4 ports) and for those not familiar, we can provide guidance. Never know when it would be handy to have someone keep you awake on a 6-hour flight in the wilderness.

While the Committee will be reviewing the flights, we encourage all competitors to do the same. Look at each others' posts and Duenna files. Ask questions if there's something you don't understand. Regulatory questions that you might not wish to discuss in public can, of course, be directed to any of the Committee via PM. Otherwise you might just see something in the flight record that can give you a clue for an upcoming leg of your own.

This is an endurance event so don't rush... make sure you have all the boxes ticked or not, check your results and posts and check that you actually post and say what you mean. That way, those of us who have made all the mistakes in the past won't have anything to tease you about before we go and repeat those mistakes :dizzy:

spokes2112
October 17th, 2014, 19:41
All P3D Users,

The following are the steps for setting up P3D & Duenna for the upcoming MacRobertson 2014 race. These instructions will be included in the next rules release in the appendix section(s).

P3D SETUP

1. Setup the P3D realism dialog as shown in the picture below. During testing it was found that changes to the dialog may not stick on the first time. It would be a good idea to re-open the realism dialog after it has been closed the first time to double check and confirm that the settings indeed reflect what is required.

2. After confirmation of the settings restart P3D.

3. From this point it may be a good idea not to touch these settings until after your participation in the race. Note - Duenna will not reflect these settings. It will still show a Red Realism box and a Red or Yellow Real-WX box. Disregard any warnings that may pop up from Duenna when started.

DUENNA SETUP

1. In the Duenna settings dialog as shown in the picture below, highlighted in red, (disregard other settings as shown, it's just an example) enter the path to prepare3d.cfg into the FS9.CFG (when non-std) text field. The paths, as an example, are shown below and reflect the Windows 7 operating system. Other operating systems may vary. Replace the red USER NAME part of the path with the user name of the account used for P3D. Verify that the path to prepare3d.cfg is correct by using Windows Explorer.

Prepar3D v1 = C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D\prepare3d.cfg
Prepar3D v2 = C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\prepare3d.cfg

2. Save settings

3. Exit Duenna

4. Restart Duenna when ready to use. From this point it may be a good idea not to touch these settings until after your participation in the race.

DUENNA USAGE

Duenna will still show a Red Realism box and a Red or Yellow Real-WX box when started. Disregard (ignore/close) any warnings that may pop up. Use Duenna as normal for the flight. After the flight, and as long there were no other discrepancies, Duenna will still show an "Invalid" flight. Disregard this and upload the .txt & .jpg as required by the rules. The fs-duenna.com tracking page (http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ListFlights.php?detail=last&value=) will show the flight as "ok/errors". The MacRobertson race tracking page (http://www.sim-outhouse.net/AirRacing/Fall2014/index.php?EventID=0417551953dfc90740f2c970082323&Folder=Fall2014) will also show on their "legs" subpage that the flight was invalid. It is up to Ms. Nellie and the Race Committee to disseminate the data that was uploaded and manually verify the leg.

salt_air
October 18th, 2014, 04:13
This is awesome Roman!! ... our community just got bigger and had a new door opened up.

Way cool,

JimmyRFR
October 18th, 2014, 08:08
Thanks to all for the examples and run-throughs, it helps a lot!

Also, thanks to the committee for continuing to work on the Caudron numbers. Very much appreciated!

I noticed that auto-mixture was used in determining numbers, is this allowed / encouraged?

spokes2112
October 18th, 2014, 09:02
Just wanted to add... Wouldn't have been able to do testing without Ed (falcon409). Without his testing it would have been tough, if not impossible, to figure out what was missing and why errors were triggered.

Thanks Ed,

Roman

srgalahad
October 18th, 2014, 10:07
Thanks to all for the examples and run-throughs, it helps a lot!

Also, thanks to the committee for continuing to work on the Caudron numbers. Very much appreciated!

I noticed that auto-mixture was used in determining numbers, is this allowed / encouraged?

Jimmy,
Auto-mixture is allowed (and highly encouraged for those who may not be used to all the intimate details of powered flight or tend to forget the use of checklists). It maintains a consistent fuel/air mixture and this makes it ideal (essential) for testing and comparing aircraft performance.

Manual mixture control is a refinement that can yield benefits but also, as many can testify, lead to embarrassing moments, coughing, sputtering and even frightening silence.

Of course, use of the adjacent selection (Allow unlimited fuel) is NOT condoned :redfire:

Rob

salt_air
October 18th, 2014, 10:14
Just wanted to add... Wouldn't have been able to do testing without Ed (falcon409). Without his testing it would have been tough, if not impossible, to figure out what was missing and why errors were triggered.

Thanks Ed,

Roman

Good deal Roman!

Well then how about a round for Ed .... thanks mate!

"Suds" on my tab when you get there .... http://www.osullivansirishpub.com.au/

Both of ya.

Appreciate the work guys!

Tako_Kichi
October 18th, 2014, 10:38
Manual mixture control is a refinement that can yield benefits but also, as many can testify, lead to embarrassing moments, coughing, sputtering and even frightening silence.

Or even unintentional flat spins when flying a twin in a RTWR race leg! :banghead: :angryfire:

DAMHIKIJD OK! :dizzy:

:toilet_claw:

Old Flyin' Fool
October 20th, 2014, 12:59
Hi.
I tried several times to install the Duenna application and the update and then start it to configure it.
Each time I try to start it, the following message appears: MSInet.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."
I've checked the ...System32 directory and the file msinet.ocx is there so I'm not sure what is going on. Again, I've installed, un-installed and re-installed four times so far and all to no avail.
I install all applications using Administrator rights so that is not an issue. The operating system is Windows Vista Home (32 bit).
I hope someone can provide me with some guidance before Saturday, 10/25/2014, otherwise I'll have to back out of the race.
Thank you.

PRB
October 20th, 2014, 14:55
Hi OFF,

Not sure if this will work, but it looks possible. I've never seen the problem you are having, but after some Googling, I found an article that might help, HERE. (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/781eb79b-b96a-43a5-9b45-5d879871e2c9/component-msinetocx-or-one-of-its-dependencies-not-correctly-registered-a-file-is-missing-or?forum=w8itproinstall) Worth a try in any case.

robert41
October 20th, 2014, 15:01
Just to be sure, you have FSUIPC installed also?

PRB
October 20th, 2014, 15:19
Just to be sure, you have FSUIPC installed also?

Good point. Definitely "Step 1" in troubleshooting...

Old Flyin' Fool
October 20th, 2014, 15:39
Answer to robert41: Yes.

Answer to PRB: I had already checked this as a possible solution prior to making my post, but it didn't resolve the issue. When I ran regsver32 on the file a message indicating that the registration of the file was successful popped up; but when I tried to launch Duenna the message from my previous post re-appeared.

Moses03
October 20th, 2014, 15:53
Found this on a help forum. Maybe worth a try? (Hate to make things worse though).

"There's an old little program that may help with problems registering msinet.ocx on Vista. Search for vb6cli.exe and when found and downloaded to your computer right click on the file to execute it with administrator rights and after unpacking and running you have a good chance your problem has disappeared."

Old Flyin' Fool
October 20th, 2014, 17:00
Thanks for the suggestion Moses03 but it will not help. The application VB6cli.exe is a self-extracting application that contains some files for VB6 developers. You must have VB6 on the computer for the extracted executable file to work. I do not have VB6 ergo this will not solve my problem. But thanks for trying. I appreciate it.

As much as I would have liked to, it looks like I won't be running in this race. Miserable-Soft's Vista operating system has always been a pain in the you know where but I cannot justify the expense to upgrade both the operating system and the hardware to simply play a game. I've been keeping my ol' jalopy running for almost eight years now and there are a lot of things I don't get to do simply because of the operating system's limitations or the hardware's limitations (old 2.2 GHZ pentium).
Oh well, I still have fun traipsing solo around the virtual skies of my virtual world.

Moses03
October 20th, 2014, 17:41
We will come up with a work around, one way or the other so you can participate.

manfredc3
October 20th, 2014, 21:22
Paul, I installed your Nav PAnel, and it turned my rotating props into black disks. Is the Nav Panel for FS9 (FS2004) only?

PRB
October 21st, 2014, 03:41
Paul, I installed your Nav PAnel, and it turned my rotating props into black disks. Is the Nav Panel for FS9 (FS2004) only?

That's interesting. They are gauges that work in both FS9 and FSX. I don't have that particular configuration installed in my FSX planes at present, but something similar. Will try to duplicate when I get home. Has to be one of the gauges, and they are not all needed. Will advise...

PRB
October 21st, 2014, 15:27
Installed the Nav Panel into the FSX DC-2 with no ill effects. Installed into a couple other FSX planes just to make sure. Could not duplicate. If you take the panel out do the correct prop disk textures return?

manfredc3
October 22nd, 2014, 08:32
Paul, I'll have a look and let you know.

Thanks for the support

manfredc3
October 22nd, 2014, 10:16
Well I got it solved.

I started with this:

Then I tried selecting the different panel folders with no success and thought I found the solution after selecting the klm texture instead of the klmo, is there a file in there that affects the props?? Don't think so, but okay:

But...... while panning to the rear view...:
Darned, I smiled too early.

Since I had a backup of the compete Douglas DC-2 X (as always :adoration: ) I decided to start all over.

And now...EURECA!

It's finally working. What cause the problem, I do not know. Butr as always, having a backup of whatever you are working on proved very valuable.
Paul, I can not explain what caused the black prop discs, but now that it's working, I like the panel for events like this.

PRB
October 22nd, 2014, 10:38
Rgr good news. It's hard to imagine a gauge in a local panel folder causing such a problem, but FSX always manages to surprise... Glad it's working ok now.

Craig Taylor
October 22nd, 2014, 17:45
I took a test flight this evening to shake off the cobwebs and couldn't get a "green" status for Wx on the Duenna. Everything else appears green, but Wx is yellow (prior to baton pick-up/flight start). All the appropriate realism settings in both FSX and AS2012 appear to be checked. The text log on landing shows weather as '4' (Not Good). Everything else looks fine. Anyone else encounter something like this?

I may just go with AS textures and use the default weather if it's too much trouble to fix. That's what we do with the RTWR, so I never bothered to check on AS2012 compatibility with the Duenna before.

spokes2112
October 22nd, 2014, 18:18
Craig,

By using a external weather source (be it any) the initial duenna will catch "User defined WX" =4 which is what any external WX source needs to set in FS in order to inject their own WX. According to the rules this is OK using an external WX.

In hindsight, i am thinking about switching myself.. Going from FSrealWX Pro to the internal Jeppesen 15 minute update. It looks soooo good when everything is green on a "baton drop". :applause:. Just seems right. In my case I would like to get on Ms. Nellie's good side again. Got on her wrong side during the "Cape 2 Cape". 1st would like to get on the good side again but better, 2. Do not want to enter her office again.

Roman

Craig Taylor
October 23rd, 2014, 13:52
Roman,

Having consulted the '119 Picadilly' thread and the Rules v1.00, I feel comfortable using AS2012. I declared it and I'm sticking with it (and since I paid for it, I want to use it! :jump: ) Thanks for the clarification. Good luck in the race! :wavey:

Craig

manfredc3
October 24th, 2014, 23:04
Okay I just added the SOH TeamSpeak bookmark to the client, and was able to join. Am I missing something, or is there ne dedicated room for this event? If not, then where do I go from the main room?

Got the Duenna set up, and test went well.

Ready for Take-Off tomorrow.

spokes2112
October 24th, 2014, 23:36
Once someone sees you they will give you permissions (if necessary) to join the other room. Wherever you see the most people right click and try to move to that room. Do not know perse but it "could" be the "Liars Lounge".

Wizard
October 26th, 2014, 08:50
Hi - I'm a noobie at this event and Duenna. Duenna is yellow for the weather - I'm using the default FSX 15 minute update. The strange thing is that when I hover over the yellow weather, it tells me I'm using 15 minute update, turbulence, and winds aloft - just as it should be. Should I bother with a flight? I do have to also say, that this is my first use of FSX under Win7 - I've been running on XP for 6 years and just built a new machine.

manfredc3
October 26th, 2014, 16:14
Thanks For your info Roman, I will certainly look for that this week.

manfredc3
October 26th, 2014, 16:29
A rookie mistake!!:banghead:

This afternoon I set out to Paris for some french bread and wine, and realized an hour in to the flight that, not only did my post for start of the race not go through, but also the Duenna was not recording the flight because I forgot to press the baton button.. Cause for the post not showing on the website was my internet being down, and I didn't realize it.

I decided to continue the flight as a test flight, as I didn't have the time left to get all the way to Marseille. It surely was a good test, arrived after 1:45 hrs with no crashes or damages. And The slightly longer ate was due to my poor navigation and the gyro compass not working.
At least the french bread and wine is tasting great, lol/

BendyFlyer
October 27th, 2014, 02:31
From the entry thread - Any ideas appreciated.

"Ok all installed as per the advice and readme. When I start to run Duenna it comes up with a message that it cannot use or the file:

MSInet.ocx is invalid or cannot be accessed.

I have checked the permissions, directory structure and I have all versions of MS Net available and installed. I also have the lastest copy of FSUIPC installed as well and reinstalled the program severla times but get the same outcome.

Oh yes and this should have gone into the help thread sorry!."

Dangerousdave26
October 27th, 2014, 03:04
From the entry thread - Any ideas appreciated.

"Ok all installed as per the advice and readme. When I start to run Duenna it comes up with a message that it cannot use or the file:

MSInet.ocx is invalid or cannot be accessed.

I have checked the permissions, directory structure and I have all versions of MS Net available and installed. I also have the lastest copy of FSUIPC installed as well and reinstalled the program severla times but get the same outcome.

Oh yes and this should have gone into the help thread sorry!."

Windows 7 and Vista are missing two .ocx files that Duenna needs to run.

Let me search my system for them....

Here you go they need to be placed in C:/windows/system32

There are three msinet.ocx, mscomctl.ocx, and mswinsck.ocx.

You need to register them in with an elevated command line window. See read me in the zip file.

Wizard
October 27th, 2014, 05:09
I have 2 questions:

1 - Is it possible to take a short hop or fly a circuit around an airfield to test and make sure Duenna is working correctly - ie creating the log files? Would I encur a fueling/timing penalty? (I'd prefer to do this rather than fly another 2-6 hours and then find out it isn't working) I don't know if Duenna actually records anything other than the log.

2 - in the rules it is stated that ** airports do not require stopping - does that mean we have to overfly, land, or even go near them? In other words can we bypass them? If we have to overfly - how close do we have to get?

Thanks!

spokes2112
October 27th, 2014, 05:36
1 - Is it possible to take a short hop or fly a circuit around an airfield to test and make sure Duenna is working correctly - ie creating the log files? Would I encur a fueling/timing penalty? (I'd prefer to do this rather than fly another 2-6 hours and then find out it isn't working) I don't know if Duenna actually records anything other than the log.

Sure, practice as necessary. The leg in the race is valid when you post a take-off and a landing in the forum. No penalty if it's not a valid leg. IE Just flying around without posting, checking Duenna.

2 - in the rules it is stated that ** airports do not require stopping - does that mean we have to overfly, land, or even go near them? In other words can we bypass them? If we have to overfly - how close do we have to get?

No, No & No.. Bypass them completely if your plan dictates it.

Wizard
October 27th, 2014, 08:23
GREAT! Thanks. :redfire:

Old Flyin' Fool
October 27th, 2014, 14:38
Windows 7 and Vista are missing two .ocx files that Duenna needs to run.

Let me search my system for them....

Here you go they need to be placed in C:/windows/system32

There are three msinet.ocx, mscomctl.ocx, and mswinsck.ocx.

You need to register them in with an elevated command line window. See read me in the zip file.

I have tried this and running it under XP compatibility mode and re-starting the computer after install, etc. etc., and all to no avail. This application refuses to run on my desktop pc with Vista (Home ver. 32 bit). I install it in my laptop with the same operating system and it starts up just fine. One tiny problem though. I don't have FSUIPC nor FSX on the laptop. Why? Because FSX won't run on the laptop! Can you provide some other suggestions to get this thing to work on the desktop. Thanks.

spokes2112
October 27th, 2014, 14:46
Have you tried installing somewhere else other than "ProgramFiles" ? It's strange it works on the laptop w/o fsx but not on the desktop box.

Old Flyin' Fool
October 27th, 2014, 15:13
Have you tried installing somewhere else other than "ProgramFiles" ? It's strange it works on the laptop w/o fsx but not on the desktop box.

Yes to that. Learned long, long, long ago not to install applications into the Programs directory if at all possible.

JimmyRFR
October 27th, 2014, 21:36
This isn't a request for help, but a note to any pilots who may have FTX Vector installed: Ensure that you turn off the traffic lights in said program! A desire not to crash any further in this race has me checking the runways via taxiing in the 1934 scenery; I'm glad i did, since at LGTT there's a few traffic lights introduced with very large crash boxes that have the potential to turn the end of a great flight into a miserable affair!

Jetbldr
November 5th, 2014, 12:12
What is the SOH Teamspeak address?

Spookster67
November 5th, 2014, 12:21
What is the SOH Teamspeak address?

Try this: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/index.php?pageid=ts