PDA

View Full Version : Oh well

noddy
October 8th, 2014, 12:31
My C drive decided to go belly up, so a re-install of the operating system as well as FSX :dizzy:

stovall
October 8th, 2014, 12:56
noddy, hope you have Window Backup on a separate external hard drive. This puts a complete image of your C drive back on your new drive. Works great, had to do that once recently myself.

noddy
October 8th, 2014, 13:04
Well it did have a back up built in, but it got corrupted and would not work.

stovall
October 8th, 2014, 18:33
noddy, from now on consider buying a 1TB external drive and use it with Windows Backup which comes with Windows 7 for sure. I have been using computers for what seem like forever but somehow overlook this fabulous utility that is part of Window. I have had to use it only once but it save me. All my restore points were corrupt. All this over a power failure. First time I lost everything with a power outage.

Windows Backup is a life saver. Remember do it often, at least once weekly. It is tempting to not do it because in my case it takes 6 hours. Believe me as you know a small price to pay when you have to reinstall Window and then all the programs that need to be in the registry.

Hope this helps you and anyone else who checks this message out.

expat
October 8th, 2014, 19:59
I have been putting off doing this for too long and still suffering from my last and not first melt down last year.
how do you get this prog and how easy is it to use? Worry about running it overnight but it getting snagged on stuff and not completing the exercise.

Jafo
October 8th, 2014, 20:28
While you're at it... get a UPS ....controlled shutdowns and spike/brownout protection.
No dramas with power outages...;)

Re 'backups'....there are only 2 types of Computer User on the planet....those who back-up....and those who cry...;)

TheGrunt
October 8th, 2014, 22:02
Re 'backups'....there are only 2 types of Computer User on the planet....those who back-up....and those who cry...;)

This is so true. I have myself a Solaris based home server with fully mirrored HDs, where most of my files are and I've also backed up my most important stuff to external HDs too, which are a good way to go nowadays: 2,5" form factor discs are small in size and don't usually require any extra power supply units and are quite cheap at least on 1TB size range. With this arrangement I feel quite safe against data loss.

wombat666
October 8th, 2014, 23:44
At the moment a 4TB Seagate external drive costs under A$200.00, cheap insurance.
I've replaced several smaller WD drives with a few of these and use one as a dedicated system backup, once a week and run automatically.
You could try one of the 'Cloud' services, IIRC a couple of years of automated backups can be had for $125.00 or thereabouts, but I'm not a fan of the 'Cloud'.
Better to have full control of your data.
:encouragement:

Jafo
October 9th, 2014, 03:15
Clouds are ok in their place [like the sky] [pun] ... but never solely rely on an entirely 'outside source' for your backup SAFETY. Whatever server [in that cloud] that hosts your data could be simply turned off at a whim. You don't own/manage it, ergo it is not 'safe'.

KellyB
October 9th, 2014, 04:33
You might also want to consider EaseUS ToDo backup. You can get a free version, and it will allow you to create a rescue boot disk.

Whatever you choose to use, DO place your backups on a separate drive from the one in your computer. The 1tb usbs are not that expensive anymore, and can usually hold a couple of backups. Incremental and differential backups can also be done to keep up to date.

Jafo
October 9th, 2014, 05:39
Check out 'SyncBack' ... ideal for file backups [not images] ... eg, every morning at 9.am ....7 days a week it backs up [incrimentally] my FSX install.... mainly so any/every repaint/alteration I do is backed up to a second drive [and a third - weekly].

If needed...I can reformat...reinstall the OS....and FSX [and its updates] and simply mass-copy the entire archive back over...and apart from saying 'yes' to the odd gau .... business as usual...no 'need' to add the 200gig of 'stuff' all over again...bit by bit...;)

stovall
October 9th, 2014, 06:38
I have been putting off doing this for too long and still suffering from my last and not first melt down last year.
how do you get this prog and how easy is it to use? Worry about running it overnight but it getting snagged on stuff and not completing the exercise.

Expat, Windows backup is a program that comes with Windows 7. Not sure about the other versions. It is extremely easy to use. Once the external drive is plugged into a USB connection, you hit start and it finishes automatically. I can't believe I didn't know about this until recently. No cost and saved me about a month ago. Hope this helps everyone.

WarHorse47
October 9th, 2014, 06:46
Tom, what specifically type of flight sim files do you backup?

stovall
October 9th, 2014, 06:58
Tom, what specifically type of flight sim files do you backup?

This program isn't just for your flight sim files. It backs up your drive C: completely but especially Windows with all the registry entries. It is a complete picture of drive C:. Anything you change after the backup won't be there of course but if you back up weekly that keeps you very current when you need it.

Until now I have relied on restore for most problems and that still works great. Once in a while the restore files are hosed. That was the case for me a month ago. The Windows Backup program and my dedicated external 1TB drive saved me.

When the severe crash occurs you must use your Windows 7 disc to begin the recovery process. At on point it will ask if you have a backup. That is where the external backup drive comes in. I did find the external USB ports didn't work. I had to plug into the USB ports in the back of the computer. Just a point that may help. I have had to do this only once since finding the Windows Backup program but now I am a believer.

Daveroo
October 9th, 2014, 07:09
im waiting (hoping) mine will melt down and the sooner the better...i cant justify a new one on my new budget,so the sooner it craps out...i can say..man i cant do with out one....:encouragement: