PDA

View Full Version : Vague comment on FS future...

grunau_baby
January 25th, 2009, 01:03
Donīt know if this news is old or new news...(?).

Exactly as I thought MS will keep FS (or something similar) in itīs pockets for the future and are not willing to sell any of their present developments to any dev. Just get rid off some people (costs) in bad times quickly and resurrect when the oportunity comes. How low!
http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=17328

Alex

Lionheart
January 25th, 2009, 01:10
Yep.....

:173go1:

Bill

wombat666
January 25th, 2009, 01:29
It's called 'Business' GB, nothing more, nothing less.
:kilroy:

grunau_baby
January 25th, 2009, 01:49
I cannot help to call this kind of "human resource handling" shortsited!

In Germany after years of setting skilled employees free and not investing into the education young professionals (all too expensive) now our businesses are wining, because they acually canīt find any skilled personal no more!!! Thatīs business, too:173go1:

Alex

cheezyflier
January 25th, 2009, 05:15
there was a company i worked for back home that had an interesting way of keeping their core employees. (it was mechanical construction)
when they saw things getting slow, they would bid work at cost so they could avoid laying off key personell and enriching someone els'es work force.
for 80% of the people who worked there it was hell, but the core group had it pretty good.

i suppose m/s decided that aces wasn't part of the "core group". i would expect that to haunt them later. time will tell.

Pepere
January 25th, 2009, 05:52
I think this statement says it all if you read between the lines. A flying games is not FS. My feelings anyway.

"We can say that you should expect us to continue to invest in enabling great LIVE experiences on Windows, including flying games, but we have nothing specific to announce at this time."

However, the upside is we have a FS that can go on for several years without MS. With 3rd party payware and our great freeware developers this sim will live on. Excuse the quote but "Yes we can"!

David :kilroy:

Francois
January 25th, 2009, 06:19
It's up to the 3rd party developers now more than ever, indeed.

And to the fan communities, who need to continue to support development!

One GOOD thing about this is that it provides more opportunity for freeware developers, since they'll have more time to learn the necessary skills and acquire some (expensive) tools.

Just a thought.

grunau_baby
January 25th, 2009, 06:40
Well I did not intent to vent on MSīs business strategies. But I think what happened to FS is what happend to CFS3 (4) before, sort of. FSX and the further development by aces might not have been too commercially fruitfull for MS in an overall perspective. Give the fact that on FS-Weekend late Nov. last year I saw around 80% or more of the FS community still using and developing for fs9. So this part was the first to go! They keep their developments and start new in any direction they care for when economics are safer again. They just dropped an unloved child IMHO.

Aces did a tremendous job on the sim and I fully second Francoisīs thoughts about the future of FSX! Unfortunately good work is often not good enough when i comes to mere figures in big enterprises. But I am looking forward to the chances this downturn might bring us!

Alex

Willy
January 25th, 2009, 10:13
For those who own a copy of FS9, I'd hang on to it and protect those discs and authentician codes like they were gold. With FS9 you don't have to have it authenticated by MS to install. All you need is the codes that came with it.

euroastar350
January 25th, 2009, 12:14
For those who own a copy of FS9, I'd hang on to it and protect those discs and authentician codes like they were gold. With FS9 you don't have to have it authenticated by MS to install. All you need is the codes that came with it.

I didn't know that FS9 needed codes to be installed:wiggle:

Willy
January 25th, 2009, 12:29
Heck, I haven't had to do a new install in a few years now! :costumes: