PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire MkVIII

sdsbolt
September 20th, 2014, 03:49
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/sdsbolt/spit8_1_zps6cd13e0e.png (http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/sdsbolt/media/spit8_1_zps6cd13e0e.png.html)

conversion moving along. main external model mostly done.

hairyspin
September 20th, 2014, 06:51
I always look at the top cowling and that one looks good!

Led Zeppelin
September 20th, 2014, 10:14
How many projects are you working on? Do you sleep sometimes? :applause::untroubled:

gecko
September 20th, 2014, 11:32
Looking great Steve! She'll be a joy to fly.

Capt. Winters
September 20th, 2014, 15:53
How many projects are you working on? Do you sleep sometimes?
Led, dont tell him he's allowed to sleep! we've just convinced him he only needs to eat once a day so he has more time to build planes, this whole sleep thing will take up far to much time. :mixed-smiley-010:

great work as usual Steve, she's looking really nice.

regards Rob.

Led Zeppelin
September 21st, 2014, 00:52
ok, he has been taken prisoneer, good job Rob!! But don't forget, you must keep him alive :bump:

sixstrings5859
September 21st, 2014, 04:07
Can't wait...thanks for all the hard work:very_drunk::applause:

HouseHobbit
September 21st, 2014, 08:42
Too Cool!!
Thanks very Much..
:applause: :applause: :applause:

sdsbolt
September 24th, 2014, 06:26
I always look at the top cowling and that one looks good!

yeah, looked at a few conversion candidates and not all had the flattened cowling top. Looks just plain wrong when its too rounded.

Do you sleep sometimes?

Naw, I sleep a lot and eat a lot. Been doing this for years and I keep things simple. I am practically on autopilot:costumed-smiley-071

Cuttles
September 25th, 2014, 02:27
Professional job!

Animal
September 25th, 2014, 06:59
:redfire:Looking good! Yes, that cowling is a key feature of the MkVIII. It represents the larger engine components used late in the war.

sdsbolt
December 19th, 2014, 12:49
some adaption to fit Clive's upgraded Spitfire mk1 VC to this model. Not perfect but workable.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/sdsbolt/spit8vc0_zps2573a0bf.jpg (http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/sdsbolt/media/spit8vc0_zps2573a0bf.jpg.html)

hairyspin
December 20th, 2014, 07:16
Lovely work Steve!

Pat Pattle
December 20th, 2014, 08:04
Looks a good fit Steve, needs the later spade grip with 2 way gun button though (I think).

hairyspin
December 20th, 2014, 10:43
Good catch Clive, and the camera button:–

http://imageshack.com/a/img905/5812/uGWl27.jpg

sdsbolt
December 21st, 2014, 05:11
ok, added those parts though they're a bit simplified

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b431/sdsbolt/spit8vc2_zps62c26722.jpg (http://s1043.photobucket.com/user/sdsbolt/media/spit8vc2_zps62c26722.jpg.html)

Pat Pattle
December 21st, 2014, 09:06
Fab Steve, quick work! :-)

grizzly50
December 28th, 2014, 08:22
:bump:

:D

Bravo/4
December 28th, 2014, 08:46
I've got it in for paint!

Bravo/4
January 10th, 2015, 17:17
As it is up to now!

gecko
January 10th, 2015, 17:53
Is that pilot wearing an oxygen mask? Cool! She's looking really good guys.

Pat Pattle
January 11th, 2015, 01:19
She looks fantastic! :applause:

Daiwilletti
January 11th, 2015, 11:53
That looks like a lovely job. Being a Spitfire ignoramous, is this a better mesh than the stock IXc? If so, could it be skinned as a IXc?

Excuse my ignorance

D

gecko
January 11th, 2015, 12:50
There's already a good Mk IXC model that's been around a while -it's one of the avhistory ones. The Mk. VIII has a few details that are a bit different.

I am curious through, are there plans for this model to evolve into other variants, a long wing Mk. VII or various clipped wing models?

HouseHobbit
January 11th, 2015, 12:51
WOW!! this is GREAT!
Many Thanks..
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Frosty
January 11th, 2015, 13:27
...I am curious through, are there plans for this model to evolve into other variants, a long wing Mk. VII or various clipped wing models?

No, no, no; I need a Mk. XI (Photo Reconnaissance) version, lol.

But it's a wonderful model and a welcome addition!!

gecko
January 11th, 2015, 13:46
Well I don't mind a XI either, or an XIX or a etc etc.:mixed-smiley-010:

Bravo/4
January 12th, 2015, 15:09
Lol I don't know Steve's intentions on other versions, but I would love to have the HF variant with the extended wingtips!
Not a fan of the LF clipped version, spoils the classic looks! : )

The mesh is an FS9 conversion, Steve has done a great job getting it into CFS3!

Personally I don't think it's suitable to be used as a MKIX, and as mentioned above we already have a very nice MKIX, if you don't have it, you need to get it!:mixed-smiley-010:

eddie
January 13th, 2015, 11:04
I see you are still splashing paint on everything John!:biggrin-new: Great work, as usual!

Bravo/4
January 13th, 2015, 11:48
I see you are still splashing paint on everything John!:biggrin-new: Great work, as usual!

Cheers Scott, yea still keeping my hand in!:biggrin-new:

sdsbolt
January 14th, 2015, 09:01
Nice work John! and quick!

At this point I am planning on the 3 mk8 versions.

havent thought about it beyond that though I wont rule them out.

Bravo/4
January 14th, 2015, 14:05
Nice work John! and quick!

At this point I am planning on the 3 mk8 versions.

havent thought about it beyond that though I wont rule them out.

That's great Steve, all three MK VIII's will do very nicely!

I like the MK VIII Spitfire, especially the HF, so when I had my first look at the model, I started and didn't stop.:biggrin-new:

I'll be sending you and Rob something very soon!

gecko
January 14th, 2015, 15:28
Very cool! Does this imply that we will see Mk.VIIIs with all three wingtip designs (was there a clipped wing version?) or different performance based on the three different engine types? Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

In general I agree with you, John, on the clipped wings not looking as good, but somehow the clipped winged Mk.XII nearly tops my list for favorite looking Spitfires, not so much for elegance as for being just plain aggressive looking (Mk.IA still wins out though). And the clipped wing versions were fairly common and rather under represented to date - I had to uninstall that stock atrocity of an LF.IXE, couldn't stand it.

sixstrings5859
January 15th, 2015, 08:02
Looking great!!! Can't wait!!

hairyspin
January 15th, 2015, 10:55
Very cool! Does this imply that we will see Mk.VIIIs with all three wingtip designs (was there a clipped wing version?) or different performance based on the three different engine types?...

I'm not sure the Mk.VIII ever sported clipped wings. There was also one fitted with a cut-down rear fuselage and teardrop canopy (JF299) and tested in August 1943, so Mk.XVI and some Mk.IX airframes and most of the Griffon-engined marks were built that way. Lots of the Griffon marks had clipped wings.

I agree it wouldn't be hard to improve on the stock Mk.IX. Like most of the stock models!

Led Zeppelin
January 15th, 2015, 11:27
Beautifull!

sdsbolt
January 16th, 2015, 04:52
I'm not sure the Mk.VIII ever sported clipped wings.

is this one?

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dickson_stands_next_to_his_Spitfire.jpg

gecko
January 16th, 2015, 08:42
Sure looks like one to me.

hairyspin
January 16th, 2015, 10:48
Good catch! That's a new photo to me, carry on! :running:

Bravo/4
January 16th, 2015, 13:41
Yes there's that one and this US hack too! Info and pics of the clipped VIII are quite hard to come by though!
From all the info I've read there were three versions F, HF, LF.
The F was the normal fighter version, which used the Merlin 61,63, and 63A engines, the HF was the high altitude interceptor with the Merlin 70 and extended wing tips, and the HF was the low altitude fighter, which used the Merlin 66, and had clipped wings. All had strengthened airframes, and retractable tail wheels, and leading edge fuel tanks in the wings. The early versions had the old style rounded tail fins, the later versions, (as in this model) had the broader pointed tail fin. They also had three hard points to carry bombs/fuel, centre line rated at 500lb, and one on each wing rated at 250lb a piece.
The MKVIII was supposed to be the ultimate Spitfire at the time, but due to production problems with this version, the stop-gap MK IX stole it's thunder! The MK IX was basically a MK V airframe with the later bigger Merlin stuck on the front, and as we know proved itself to be very successful!

gecko
January 16th, 2015, 16:02
It's odd that both pictures show aircraft that weren't in frontline service anymore. Surely there would be some actually being flown on sorties?

Another question, was the Mk.VIII ever used in Europe (other than Italy/Southern France)?

hairyspin
January 16th, 2015, 23:23
Photos of clipped wing Spits are few and far between anyway and extended wingtip photos are even rarer. The Mk.VIII was used in the MTO and Far East where its stronger construction was a bonus, but European service was dominated by Mk.IX which came out first, and Mk.XVI then replaced by Griffon-engined marks.

sixstrings5859
January 24th, 2015, 22:07
Such a great knowledge base here,learn something new every day. I know a good deal about US,German ,Italian,and Russian aircraft.Sadly i know about some British aircraft,but the Spitfire has so many variants its easy to get lost! Thanks guys for the info.

sixstrings5859
January 28th, 2015, 22:17
What a lovely MK VIII !! Thanks for all the time and research involved with this project.It was,to me the most beautiful aircraft of WW2,and even now. Thanks sdsbolt :very_drunk::applause: WATCH OUT !!!!You Fw-190's !!!! HERE WE COME!!!!!

ndicki
January 29th, 2015, 02:52
Brilliant news - she looks very good!

I've seen photos of MkVIIICs with clipped wings, standard wings and somewhere, one with extended wings. As the wingtips were theoretically interchangeable, all things are possible, even if I'd be challenged to say where I saw it! There's also a well-known photo in the Osprey book of one with 4 20mm cannon and (of course) the bigger initial-type wing blisters - Sqn Ldr Eric Gibbs, 54 Sqn, Darwin, April 1944. Worth modelling, even if it is unusual.

Needless to say I'm hoping for a SAAF one for MAW!

sixstrings5859
January 29th, 2015, 04:01
I very hopeful that Steve ,and others, can make converted FSX aircraft for CFS3. I wish there was a way i could learn this process to do it myself. Hey Steve,how/were did you learn this converting process ? What programs do you use and were can i get them to start helping out the CFS3 community with more aircraft. Is there a tutorial web site or guide available for newbees,like me to get help to get through this programming hurdle? Any help would be helpful , as this seems very rewarding thing to do.

Led Zeppelin
January 29th, 2015, 11:45
Nice to see you around Nigel! ;-)

sixstrings5859
January 29th, 2015, 12:52
Hey Ndicki !!!! Ole' buddy!! (I'm the ole' sixstrings, Scott from La. ) Been in and out for a while,(health stuff). Kind'a lost touch for a while,(sorry). I still love CFS3 and all it's variations . Will try and be more active and contribute more to the CFS3 community. I have noticed that there isn't as much activity between members and ,what seems to be, a hard core few doing amazing work ie. ETO,PTO-RS,new aircraft and more . Glad to see people that has been around since the early days! Hope all is well with you. Take care buddy.

Bravo/4
January 30th, 2015, 07:22
Ok texture is pretty much where I want it to be now, I'll have to find A SAAF one for you Nigel!

htpcorsica
January 30th, 2015, 08:25
Lovely paint job they look so life like. How did you paint them so fast? Thanks to the modeller for his hard work too.

sixstrings5859
January 30th, 2015, 08:38
Amazing work!!!!! looks picture perfect!!!

Pat Pattle
January 30th, 2015, 09:53
Gets better and better AND you've taken your magic brush to the cockpit textures as well John you splendid chap :)
Now I now why you're called 'Bravo'! :applause:

ps. You've probably noticed but the gauge to the right of the gun sight has slipped a little.

phrog_phixer
January 30th, 2015, 11:33
Absolutely stunning work all 'round!!!:applause:

Led Zeppelin
January 30th, 2015, 11:39
Beautifull! :wavey:

Bravo/4
January 30th, 2015, 11:53
Gets better and better AND you've taken your magic brush to the cockpit textures as well John you splendid chap :)
Now I now why you're called 'Bravo'! :applause:

ps. You've probably noticed but the gauge to the right of the gun sight has slipped a little.

Thanks for the comments Clive, and yes got to get Steve to move the volt meter up a bit!

Bravo/4
January 30th, 2015, 12:01
Lovely paint job they look so life like. How did you paint them so fast? Thanks to the modeller for his hard work too.

Thank you!
Yea Steve has done a great job with the model.
I was a bit quicker with this one, as I've done a few Spitfires in the past and although the mapping is different, I was able to transfer a lot of things over to this new texture.

hairyspin
January 30th, 2015, 12:36
I like the SEAC textures John, and we've just got to have Grey Nurse so thank you!

Bravo/4
January 30th, 2015, 13:27
Yes Tom, got to have Grey Nurse on the MK VIII! I did a Grey Nurse skin for the MK IX (on request) over at Reg's, but it never sat well with me on the IX, so now I'm happy!:biggrin-new: Come to think of it, I'll need to sort "Killer" Caldwells mount out as well.

gecko
January 30th, 2015, 18:23
Beautiful work guys! That cockpit looks great! What are the chances of adapting it to fit the Avhistory Spits? I'd love to see an early version of it!

popsaka
January 31st, 2015, 11:24
So glad I have a chance to say: Cripes... Steve & John, y'all are more than amazing!!! :engel016:

(btw, is Reggies' site down?)

grizzly50
January 31st, 2015, 11:37
So glad I have a chance to say: Cripes... Steve & John, y'all are more than amazing!!! :engel016:

(btw, is Reggies' site down?)

Nope, pops, it just changed hands is all. Here's the new link: http://www.regshanger.net/

gosd
January 31st, 2015, 14:53
Have these been uploaded ?

sdsbolt
January 31st, 2015, 15:55
What are the chances of adapting it to fit the Avhistory Spits?

doubt it, not easy to do w/o source mesh. most seem to have pretty decent vc's anyway.

gecko
January 31st, 2015, 20:01
They aren't half bad, but this one's better. I didn't realize it was such a difficult process, I though you just had to make sure it went in the right spot relative to the model, but what do I know. At any rate it will be a joy to fly the Mk.VIII from that cockpit.

sixstrings5859
February 15th, 2015, 21:30
Just commenting to see how far this Spit is coming along.Can't wait to see it uploaded.

Bravo/4
February 16th, 2015, 11:07
It's still going nicely, just takes time to get it all right, bare with us a little longer!

Led Zeppelin
February 23rd, 2015, 11:32
Take your time, we will wait!! ;-)

Bravo/4
February 24th, 2015, 13:01
Steve has now modelled the MKVIII HF, and LF versions!

htpcorsica
February 24th, 2015, 14:48
Absolutely stunning work by yourself and Steve, really really good. The Valletta background looks good too!

gecko
February 24th, 2015, 17:03
That looks great!

gosd
February 24th, 2015, 19:32
Superb work ! :encouragement: the details are great. :biggrin-new:

Led Zeppelin
February 25th, 2015, 11:02
Outstanding!:wavey:

phrog_phixer
February 25th, 2015, 11:06
Good stuff, Team!:applause: These teasers are just about driving me....:dizzy:

dmaloof
February 25th, 2015, 19:24
can't wait. luv the us marked one.

sixstrings5859
February 26th, 2015, 13:09
The Spitfire Mk VII's pictured look FANTASTIC!!!! Hope they fly as well as they look.:applause: Great job guys!!!

dmaloof
February 26th, 2015, 14:24
you mean mk 8's

Bravo/4
March 9th, 2015, 17:34
Here's a MK VII high altitude fighter with pressurised cockpit, Steve has modelled in the de-misters!:smile-new:

gecko
March 9th, 2015, 19:14
Fantastic!

Pat Pattle
March 9th, 2015, 22:49
Here's a MK VII high altitude fighter with pressurised cockpit, Steve has modelled in the de-misters!

Luverrly jubberly! Great paint job too! :0)

Led Zeppelin
March 10th, 2015, 10:50
Fantastic, there's a mission in the Clostermann pack released a few years ago that was waiting for a "real" MkVIII High Altitude! And with the pressurised cockpit specially modelled for her... amazing work here! ;)

Frosty
March 10th, 2015, 15:40
Here's a MK VII high altitude fighter with pressurised cockpit, Steve has modelled in the de-misters!:smile-new:

Ah yes, a lovely paint job indeed!! Is there a Jerry high altitude recce bird available to chase around? Can't have them taking pictures of my precious airfields now, can we? :wink:

Bravo/4
March 11th, 2015, 12:49
Ah yes, a lovely paint job indeed!! Is there a Jerry high altitude recce bird available to chase around? Can't have them taking pictures of my precious airfields now, can we? :wink:

No Joost don't think there is, we got a few night fighters and the H1, we could do with a Ju 86p, now that's a strange one, diesel engines too!!:biggrin-new:

Bravo/4
March 11th, 2015, 12:54
Thanks for the comments all of you, there's quite a skin folder building up for these new Spitfires now, Rob's been keeping me busy!:biggrin-new:

brundu841
March 13th, 2015, 07:01
hi, always hard workers CFS3 .... it's good, I just instaler eto and maw on my laptop with windows 7 ... I take pleasure in this game, I hope that there will new aircraft to download ....
:wavey:
salut, toujours des travailleurs acharné sur cfs3.... cela fait plaisir, je viens d'installer eto et maw sur mon ordinateur portable avec windows 7... je reprends plaisir ŕ ce jeux, j'espere qu'il y aura des nouveaux avions ŕ telecharger....

gosd
March 13th, 2015, 09:36
Bonjour Brundu81 et bienvenu !

gecko
March 13th, 2015, 21:05
Jaycee and Nigel have done a few recce 109s you can chase with it. Excited to see what skins you have in store John, very much looking forward to it.

sixstrings5859
May 31st, 2015, 04:56
Just checking on the project to see how's it coming along. Haven't read anything lately. Can't wait on this one!!!!

Capt. Winters
May 31st, 2015, 21:59
Their in the work shop having Flight models built up. once done then the final pack can be assembled and released.

regards Rob.

sixstrings5859
July 27th, 2015, 10:14
:bump: Bump time! Just checking up to see how the work is coming along.

sdsbolt
July 29th, 2015, 03:25
Just checking up to see how the work is coming along.

just awaiting flight models

sixstrings5859
October 6th, 2015, 10:47
Just a bump :jump: checking on progress with this wonderful Spitfire . Thanks to all involved ... Will the Spitfire come with its own custom sounds ?

grizzly50
October 31st, 2015, 04:10
BUMP!!!!!

:bump::bump::bump:

?????

:D

gecko
October 31st, 2015, 21:32
Well, one of the holdups on my end was trying to create a working two speed supercharger, and I am happy to say that I have succeeded, meaning we can have realistic performance vs. altitude and an appreciable difference between the LF (Merlin 66), F (Merlin 61 and 63), and HF (Merlin 70 and 71) variants. Tuning it for each engine will take some time; I'm pretty sure this hasn't been done in CFS3 before. Up until now, the FM's have all functioned as if the engines were turbocharged, or at a stretch could pass for a single speed supercharger.

hairyspin
November 1st, 2015, 00:09
That will be very impressive, I didn't think it could be done in CFS3!

gecko
November 1st, 2015, 01:01
It doesn't register on the boost gauge unfortunately, but you can hear it in the engine if you listen carefully and see it in your performance at different altitudes. You get steadily increasing performance as you climb to the first speed's full throttle height, and then a steady but more gradual decrease until the automatic controller switches over to the second speed which results in a steady increase until reaching the second speed's full throttle height, above which power drops off until you reach the aircraft's service ceiling. The altitudes at which performance peaks are determined by the supercharger gearing, which is the primary difference among the above listed Merlin variants. The LF Spits had their superchargers geared to produce max power at lower altitudes while the F and HF versions peaked several thousand feet higher. These differences will be borne out in the CFS3 models, and if we're lucky I may be able to add the manual override control of the superchargers as well.

sdsbolt
November 2nd, 2015, 10:19
Well, one of the holdups on my end was trying to create a working two speed supercharger, and I am happy to say that I have succeeded, meaning we can have realistic performance vs. altitude and an appreciable difference between the LF (Merlin 66), F (Merlin 61 and 63), and HF (Merlin 70 and 71) variants. Tuning it for each engine will take some time; I'm pretty sure this hasn't been done in CFS3 before. Up until now, the FM's have all functioned as if the engines were turbocharged, or at a stretch could pass for a single speed supercharger.

sounds good!

Bravo/4
November 2nd, 2015, 12:31
Yea it does sound good!

Led Zeppelin
November 3rd, 2015, 08:39
Very impressive!

MajorMagee
November 3rd, 2015, 17:48
It doesn't register on the boost gauge unfortunately, but you can hear it in the engine if you listen carefully and see it in your performance at different altitudes. You get steadily increasing performance as you climb to the first speed's full throttle height, and then a steady but more gradual decrease until the automatic controller switches over to the second speed which results in a steady increase until reaching the second speed's full throttle height, above which power drops off until you reach the aircraft's service ceiling. The altitudes at which performance peaks are determined by the supercharger gearing, which is the primary difference among the above listed Merlin variants. The LF Spits had their superchargers geared to produce max power at lower altitudes while the F and HF versions peaked several thousand feet higher. These differences will be borne out in the CFS3 models, and if we're lucky I may be able to add the manual override control of the superchargers as well.

Is this done through the air file, the cfg file, or both?

gecko
November 11th, 2015, 18:46
the aircraft.cfg sets the basic engine parameters, getting the correct critical altitude and having auto mixture off are key there and then it's a matter of playing with the mixture, torque and prop tables in the .air file to get it to behave like a real engine.

Capt. Winters
December 3rd, 2015, 16:14
Hi All,

Spitfire MkVIII is coming along nicely, including some new loadouts not seen before in cfs3. A historically correct torpedo drop tank and pylon.

In this case being used to transport fuel for the pilots rather than fuel for the aircraft. :)

regards Rob.

Capt. Winters
December 3rd, 2015, 18:03
Hi All,

Heres some more of the various profiles for the MkVIII John has done some amazing work. These are Australian PTO area. The 79 squadron nose art 'avagrog' is Aussie slang for 'have a beer'

79 and 452 squadrons RAAF from mid 44 through to end of war. the plain aluminum aircraft is 548 RAF flying out of Darwin, Australia 1945. It was polished to enhance speed.

These are an important addition to CFS3 as we now pretty much have the full chronological set of aircraft for these squadrons in game. starting from late 1941 through to the end of the war. P40's, Spit V's and now Spit VIII's

regards Rob.

Capt. Winters
December 3rd, 2015, 18:10
Hi All,

And some more of the various profiles for the MkVIII. These are RAF Burma area.

155 and 152 squadrons RAF from mid 44 through to end of war.

Again these are an important addition to CFS3 as we now pretty much have the full chronological set of major fighter aircraft for RAF in game. starting from late 1941 through to the end of the war. Hurricanes (MkI, IIc, IIb, IV), Spit V's, Buffalo's, Mohawk's, Spit XIV's and now Spit VIII's

Overall theres 22 different aircraft in the Spitfire MkVII/VIII (F, LF and HF versions) set including ETO, MTO and PTO theaters of operations.

regards Rob.

Daiwilletti
December 3rd, 2015, 18:50
Hi All,

Again these are an important addition to CFS3 as we now pretty much have the full chronological set of major fighter aircraft for RAF in game. starting from late 1941 through to the end of the war. Hurricanes (MkI, IIc, IIb, IV), Spit V's, Buffalo's, Mohawk's, Spit XIV's and now Spit VIII's

Overall theres 22 different aircraft in the Spitfire MkVII/VIII (F, LF and HF versions) set including ETO, MTO and PTO theaters of operations.

regards Rob.

You beaut, that's fantastic! Thanks Rob and of course those toiling with digital 3D models and paint masterpieces.....

sixstrings5859
December 4th, 2015, 09:26
Simply Awesome !!!!! Thanks to all involved .

Frosty
December 5th, 2015, 12:55
Yes, that's the high quality work we've come to think of as normal. But it's easy to forget about all the hours of hard labour these guys have put into these models. Same as with that wonderful P-61 that's waiting for us somewhere. Beautiful aircraft, gentlemen!!!

Led Zeppelin
December 6th, 2015, 11:05
Splendid! :applause:

Animal
December 7th, 2015, 12:06
:jump:First rate Gentlemen!

grizzly50
January 1st, 2016, 11:34

B U M P ! ! !

dmaloof
January 1st, 2016, 15:54
ditto bump:wavey:

gecko
January 1st, 2016, 16:30
...the Spitfire Mk.VIII flight testing program has been severely impeded by massive oil leaks and over-temping engines.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/910/0HuaDH.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pa0HuaDHj)

dmaloof
January 1st, 2016, 18:24
i like that one. But the fuhrer thinks different he he:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PmzdINGZk

Frosty
January 2nd, 2016, 08:25
Ooooh, love it!! But it needs more oil, not these tiny specks which look like you have flown through a swarm of mosquitos. This is an oil leak :biggrin-new::

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2FWarthunder% 2Fcomments%2F2t5wjn%2Fcan_we_sb_pilots_get_the_opt ion_to_open_our%2F&psig=AFQjCNG4_KUCQLrWB_Eh_gZAyWAgmaNXHw&ust=1451841878228249

gecko
January 2nd, 2016, 08:52
Found that picture in my research. Good day for the pilot, BAD day for the ground crew. What I posted is WIP, and represents the moment those hot droplets of oil hit the windscreen. In the following seconds it spreads into an oily film that covers the forward panels. I'm playing with different ways of getting that transition to look good.

And thankfully a Spitfire carries nowhere near the amount of oil as a P-47!

Frosty
January 2nd, 2016, 13:32
... What I posted is WIP, and represents the moment those hot droplets of oil hit the windscreen. In the following seconds it spreads into an oily film that covers the forward panels. I'm playing with different ways of getting that transition to look good ...

Sounds great, can't wait!! :encouragement:

Led Zeppelin
January 3rd, 2016, 11:50
It reminds me "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" good old time, thanks for bringing this to CFS3! :jump:

gecko
January 6th, 2016, 20:29
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/908/PCEFad.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/p8PCEFadj)

Frosty
January 6th, 2016, 22:59
Yup!!

Another BAD day for the groundcrew :biggrin-new:

sixstrings5859
January 7th, 2016, 03:51
Awesome effects/features ! Will this aircraft be geared for CFS3 ETO ? Just the tool for those pesky FW-190's and 109's !!

gecko
January 8th, 2016, 07:42
I've driven my ground crew nearly to mutiny while making this effect. EVERY time I come back the windscreen is covered in oil! They're beginning to think I'm doing it on purpose!

sixstrings5859
January 15th, 2016, 05:16
Saw where it's posted that ETO,MTO,PTO versions will be available . In awe of the completeness in realism that this project attains . :ernaehrung004:

sixstrings5859
March 31st, 2016, 10:23
figured it would a fine time to bump

Bravo/4
April 2nd, 2016, 13:52
It's ok we haven't forgotten it!:untroubled:

grizzly50
April 24th, 2016, 06:21

airfighter55
April 24th, 2016, 07:52
Great !!!!! :applause:

Thank you.

gecko
April 24th, 2016, 08:12
Still going, nearly done with the damage effects, which will be a bit more detailed than we've seen on most of our aircraft. A few surprises there that I've not shown yet.

sixstrings5859
April 24th, 2016, 21:49
Great news!! What joy !!

popsaka
April 30th, 2016, 05:31
...pointy PR mkVII wings, pointy mkVIII's, clipped winged rollers, misty windscreens, oil covered windscreens... I canna wait!!:jump:

I wounder... will the demister help clean off the oil spray :playful:

gecko
April 30th, 2016, 15:35
It's the HF versions that have the long pointy wings, and yes, we've got them. Not sure where you heard about misty windscreens, we don't have that feature, but there will be oil. Lots and lots of oil.

popsaka
April 30th, 2016, 19:08
...I thunked I'd read there wuz a demister control in the PR's pit ...and I s'pose me imagination did the rest :playful:

Bravo/4
May 1st, 2016, 14:21
These new Spitfires are the MK VII and VIII, not PR's. The MK VII was designed as an high altitude interceptor, and had a pressurised cockpit which Steve has modelled with some of the pressurisation plumbing, so you might of thought that was a demister, but it's not?:untroubled:

popsaka
May 1st, 2016, 16:09
Thanks John. I've always really loved the way our members never leave one in a pool of ignorance :ernaehrung004:

...Keeps me comin' back again and again :triumphant:

grizzly50
May 29th, 2016, 06:06
:bump: :bump: :bump:

sixstrings5859
June 1st, 2016, 03:41
Hope all is well with the MK VII and MK VIII Spitfires .With these,Just Flight's and all the other spitfires available i'll have around the same number as my P-51 installs

gecko
June 1st, 2016, 08:07
All is well and getting better. Building the sound package now, which will include a couple new features we haven't seen in CFS3 before, and maybe not anywhere else either.

Animal
June 5th, 2016, 20:48
:jump: CFS3 Spitfires are "fightin" Spitfires!!!

popsaka
June 7th, 2016, 02:38
Okay lads, here's sumpin I've seen on and off and hope y'all can enlighten moi...
You know I don't run shy on imagination but I could've sworn I saw a blister inboard the cannon blister* and it made me think of
how some variants sported 2 50 cal. guns instead of the usual 4 303's...
Can you guys tell me whether or not I'm seein' things (again) ? :mixed-smiley-010:

BTW Gecko that work on the sounds sounds really exciting... nothin' like it to add to the all important immersion factor! :applause:

*I couldn't tell if there was an exit slot for shells beneath, but that's easy enuf ta paint in...

hairyspin
June 7th, 2016, 04:56
On some marks there's a blister to make room for the wheel; other marks have the wheel at a slightly different angle and don't need the blister.

ndicki
June 7th, 2016, 05:06
If it carries the 4 20mm cannon, it has the original bigger gun blisters introduced on the Mk Vc.

This page will explain all!

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-mk-ix-xi-and-xvi-variants-much-varied.html/3

gecko
June 7th, 2016, 10:14
The version we have has the C wing armament with 2x20mm and 4x.303cal. There are unused stubs used in other configurations, but I'm not aware of different armament being used on the VII and VIII. Yes, John has painted on the chutes for the empty casings, and I have made sure actual 20mm Hispanno and .303cal Browning casings and belt links (not just generic casings and they are correctly sized) are coming out of the ejection chutes for each round fired.

ndicki
June 8th, 2016, 05:06
I have seen the odd photo of SAAF and RAAF Mk VIIIs with 4 Hispanos, but I would agree, it's very rare.

sixstrings5859
August 13th, 2016, 05:18
Just checking in to see what been going on with this wonderful Spitfire.

sdsbolt
August 13th, 2016, 06:56
I think we are close but Rob had an HD crash so its taking him a little longer for him to organize the final package.

Capt. Winters
August 13th, 2016, 19:02
Hi All,

Yes they are very close, just need to finalise the LF versions, get them over to Kasey for a round of testing and we are good to go. the HF and F versions are done. I would say sometime in the next 2 weeks and they will be released.

regards Rob.

sixstrings5859
August 14th, 2016, 03:51
Fantastic !!!! Thanks for the updated news .

Bravo/4
August 14th, 2016, 15:31
And after that, this!

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r652/whelanjohn/cfs3%202016-08-15%2000-07-37-40_zps4uqb0zng.png
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r652/whelanjohn/cfs3%202016-08-15%2000-08-53-16_zpssnhajcbx.png
http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r652/whelanjohn/cfs3%202016-08-15%2000-14-18-06_zpswolciktq.png

Led Zeppelin
August 14th, 2016, 23:08
wow wow wow!!! :running:

Bravo/4
August 15th, 2016, 12:43
Yea, thanks to Steve we have a bubble top, Loic!:jump:

gecko
August 15th, 2016, 14:09
In three and four blade versions too!

sixstrings5859
September 2nd, 2016, 03:26
Amazed at all the work being done ! Awesome news !! How's the Spitfires coming along ?

Capt. Winters
September 3rd, 2016, 00:56
Hi All,

Spitfires are just having a few last minute FM revisions for 6 of the planes, other than that they are finished. I arrive home from work this coming Wednesday, I am hoping by the end of the week at latest for upload.

regards Rob.

sixstrings5859
September 3rd, 2016, 02:58
Fantastic News !! Thanks to all who made this Spitfire Mk III collection what it is. A great addition for CFS3. Very grateful to have people like you all who devoted so much time and effort and hair pulling to bring us all this for our enjoyment and for free to boot. Best Regards , Scott

grizzly50
September 5th, 2016, 06:04
Hi All,

Spitfires are just having a few last minute FM revisions for 6 of the planes, other than that they are finished. I arrive home from work this coming Wednesday, I am hoping by the end of the week at latest for upload.

regards Rob.

Hey, Rob, you've got mail.

;) :) :D

sixstrings5859
September 7th, 2016, 15:06
Just listen to that wonderful Merlin engine... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRVRdE42vw and this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S19Vg89a6dU nice Mk VIII's.

gecko
September 7th, 2016, 15:31
I spent a lot of time working on the sounds for this project. To date it is the most detailed sound set in CFS3 with several features we haven't had before.

Pat Pattle
September 7th, 2016, 22:51
I spent a lot of time working on the sounds for this project. To date it is the most detailed sound set in CFS3 with several features we haven't had before.

Stop teasing us and release the bl**dy things!! :jump::jump:

Capt. Winters
September 8th, 2016, 00:05
But we like teasing you Clive.... They're up :)

Once admins approve you'll find them in British aircraft addon section.

CFS3 Spitfire MkVIII and MkVII aircraft Set. (2 downloads in total - Generic to all installs and Aircraft)

MkVII-HF pressurised high altitude fighter (extended wingtips)

MkVIII-F
MkVIII-HF un-presurised high altitude fighter (extended wingtips)
MkVIII-LF low altitude fighter (clipped wingtips)

This pack contains 22 aircraft which are broken into 3 groups

1. ETO - 7 aircraft (1 x MkVIII RAF, 6 x MkVII-HF RAF.
2. MTO - 5 aircraft - 1 x MkVIII USAAF, 1 x MkVIII-HF RAF, 3 x MVIII-LF RAF & USAAF.
3. PTO - 10 aircraft - 3 x MkVIII RAF, 7 x MkVIII RAAF.

The individual aircraft names start with SJE_ (ETO) SJM_ (MAW) and SJP_ (PTO) just to help identify which theatre of operations they belong too.

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************

The following people are responsible for the package:

External fs9 model original by Paul Rebuffat then converted and upgraded by Stephen (Sdsbolt) Seybolt.

cfs3 vc by Pat Didier then upgraded by Clive (Pat Pattle) Moorely then converted to later marks by Stephen (Sdsbolt) Seybolt.

All Textures by John (Bravo/4) Whelan.

Mos File by Daniel (Gecko) Holtz. (includes new oil stains)

XDP compilation, historical content, plane set construction by Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson.

Flight Model By Daniel (Gecko) Holtz. Based off AvH Spitfire MkIXc-61 FM2.85.09 with extensive tweaking for each new model.

Effects (weapons, and damage) by Daniel (Gecko) Holtz. This set has blood splatter and bullet holes for virtual cockpit views and introduces progressive oil leaks over the windscreen and fuselage as damage increases.

Weapons and pylons by AvHistory, Stephen (Sdsbolt) Seybolt, Rob (Capt. Winters) Stevenson, Daniel (Gecko) Holtz, with new textures by John (Bravo/4) Whelan.
new weapons include 45 Gallon torpedo drop tank, standalone AvH slipper tanks with new textures. revised sounds for 200m Hispano MkII and .303 mg's for standalone weapons for spitfire 8 model set.

New Engine sounds by Daniel (Gecko) Holtz. (Gary Jones did the original Merlin sound package which was then built-on and CFS3-ified). This set introduces various sounds for compressors and super charges as well as low rpm rough running sounds.

Guy "fox" Greenburg made the dr_ prefixed effect textures. (Most will have these already from MAW and ETO and RS etc but they have been included for completeness.)

Optional Shaders for Ankors scenery work by Daniel (Gecko) Holtz. These files will be uploaded as a seperate download.

Testing: Grizzly50, Brav0/4, Geko, Capt. Winters, Sdsbolt.

Freeware items not to be loaded onto any web site without the written permission of Steve Seybolt.

Next Cab off the rank.

Pat Pattle
September 8th, 2016, 03:42
Woohoo, new Spitfires! :applause::applause::applause: Can't wait to get home and try them all, I'm sure they'll be worth the wait.

Well done to all of you splendid chaps! :wavey:

sixstrings5859
September 8th, 2016, 05:42
Just downloaded these wonderful Spits. A complex install compared to other aircraft for CFS3 but it must be, with a the new features, they will be worth it i know for sure. Best Regards , Scott

htpcorsica
September 8th, 2016, 06:07
Just downloaded and installed it works a real treat. Very well thought out instructions etc easy for me to install. Very nice well made beautifully authentic and accurate models with superb high detail paint job. Realy nice.
Thanks to all those who have done all the hard work you have made CFS3 so much better now! All i need to do now is fix my win 10 install from crashing at the end of a mission any clues?

hairyspin
September 8th, 2016, 09:33
Great stuff guys! I've posted a new sticky thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?102248-Spitfire-Mks-VII-and-VIII-are-out!)with the posts from Rob's announcement onwards copied to it. I'll close this one now.