PDA

View Full Version : JustFlight P-38

Tom Burnside
September 14th, 2014, 03:25
Im thinking about getting the Lightning would anyone recommend it and can I use my pedals to taxi it or does it use the differential braking system.

Desert Rat
September 14th, 2014, 03:54
Try the demo, http://www.justflight.com/product/p-38-lightning-download then expand the demo section, download and try. :d

I'll have to try this myself, I have the Sky Unlimited packs, been a while so can't really remember much, sorry.

http://www.skyunlimited.net/products.htm

Jamie

Motormouse
September 14th, 2014, 03:56
Why pay when there's a complete set of free ones here ---->

http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/model/index.html

But if you insist, there is a Just Flight (Aeroplane Heaven) demo at Just Flight, no time limit, one model only (Curly Six)

I have both Sky Unlimited and Just Flight, but keep going back to David Copley's free ones.

ttfn

Pete

Mick
September 14th, 2014, 04:48
... can I use my pedals to taxi it or does it use the differential braking system...

Isn't that all in the way you set up your controls in the sim, for this or any other aircraft?

Tom Burnside
September 14th, 2014, 05:22
Isn't that all in the way you set up your controls in the sim, for this or any other aircraft?

Most aircraft I have I can use the pedals.

Dangerousdave26
September 14th, 2014, 06:19
If they did the model right then you will wear out the brakes in short order using the toe brakes to steer. I know dcc's is set up that way.

both dcc's and Sky Unlimited's P-38s can be steered by the rudder pedals once you start moving. The nose wheel will not turn until there is some forward movement.

Tighter steering is done by controlling the individual engine rpms.

I do not have Just Flights P-38

I would suggest getting dcc's since they are free. After that go for the Just Flight model or the Sky Unlimited model.

vonernsk
September 14th, 2014, 06:52
Regardless of the use of foot-brakes or not, Motormouse has said it - David Copley's models of the P-38 have certainly stood the test of time and in my opinion exceed the payware offerings.

I recently decided to re-visit David's P-38s and tried out Tom Kohler's ('Gnoopey') alternative P-38J flt model that he produced for David's P-38J over half a decade ago. This flt model, for me, makes the P-38J a much more interesting a/c to hand-fly in the circuit and I ended up putting Tom's flt model into all of David's P-38s.

For control of my flt sim a/c I use the Thrustmaster 'HOTS Warthog' in conjunction with Saitek pedals. I always use a set up that gives me a steerable front wheel and conduct taxi-way turns using the L or R foot-brake. Not the way the real P-38 was controlled, but that is my choice and keeps me happy.

Would love for Dave C to give permission for some modeller to stick in a decent looking pilot model, only eye-candy - but . . .

Have not tried the payware offerings for the P-38 so cannot comment.

Rgds

Mal

Dangerousdave26
September 14th, 2014, 07:43
In truth I think Dave was a consultant on more than one Payware P-38 project. He provided the P-38 sounds and extensive knowledge into the P-38s construction.

fliger747
September 14th, 2014, 14:42
Yes pedals can be used to realistic effect for steering, rudder application yawing at higher speeds and differential braking at slower speeds. This avoid much of the over controlling that occurs when one tries to implement nose wheel steering, which these aircraft were not equipped with. I do not currently have one, but a previous Saitek joystick had dual throttles which was also a satisfying method of maneuvering such aircraft.

Cheers: tom