PDA

View Full Version : Milviz F-86 Repaint Help

Mach3DS
September 8th, 2014, 15:21
I'm trying to give the Milviz F-86 a little spit shine in certain areas, but can't seem to get it to react the same way other textures have in the past. Using Alpha channel, for example on the bare aluminum base texture, I can change the Alpha Channel from basically almost white, to complete black (and to my novice knowledge should make the thing completely reflective) yields no change in the texture whatsoever. How does one know which textures this will work with and which it won't? Has anyone been successful in attempting to get the highly polished aluminum look on this bird? I'm a novice repainter, so with any luck it's actually user error on my part!

DagR
September 8th, 2014, 23:23
MilViz opted for not enabling alpha in the diffuse textures thereby not giving the model the alpha shine it could have had. A grave mistake in my opinion and when raising the question I was met with a tone of speech not known to this forum.

Best regards
Dag

n4gix
September 9th, 2014, 11:10
Whenever I can set aside the time to prep the F86 for Prepar3D v2.3, I've made a note to enable the option in the FSX Materials to "Blend diffuse with diffuse Alpha," which will enable the "glossy" function. I will also rewrap the FSX installer at the same time. :encouragement:

Mach3DS
September 9th, 2014, 12:04
Bill you are my hero! :D

odourboy
September 9th, 2014, 12:42
Ask and ye shall receive? :applause:

Shiny chrome finish is something I've always wanted in the F-86 also. Look forward to this when you can get to it Bill.

Cheers!

Mach3DS
September 9th, 2014, 12:50
It will open up the repaint options for sure. I for one will love to see the high polished versions...will make smashing Hawk One golden eagle scheme glow brilliantly :) and the MiG Mad Marine scheme shine as the restored version!

Craig Taylor
September 9th, 2014, 16:35
It would also make a Navy blue FJ-3/4 scheme look beautiful, if someone were so inclined. May have to go, since I wouldn't want to ask of someone else what I wasn't willing to try myself.

jeansy
September 9th, 2014, 17:18
It would also make a Navy blue FJ-3/4 scheme look beautiful, if someone were so inclined. May have to go, since I wouldn't want to ask of someone else what I wasn't willing to try myself.

There are at least 2 fury schemes out there

Mach3DS
September 9th, 2014, 19:59
Jeansy I've been looking for the Fury skins for ages...I'll do another search! thanks!

gradyhappyg
September 9th, 2014, 21:28
I did a couple one Marine in gull grey/white and one Navy in blue they are uploaded here. Neither one shiny (no alphas) at all as any alpha changes made no difference. If someone can incorporate the alphas into the model I can go back and add an alpha channel.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=73776&sort=d

Craig Taylor
September 10th, 2014, 16:15
I have your VMF-451 paint but did not know there was a sea-blue skin. I will definitely be downloading that, as well as that PB4Y-1 skin you have. Thanks for the HU! :ernaehrung004: