PDA

View Full Version : Sure wish Virtavia...

ColoKent
August 2nd, 2014, 20:24
....would update their B-47 to the standard of their current releases.

Kent

Dumonceau
August 3rd, 2014, 03:33

Kent

Or the B-45, and a host of other fairly recent releases. The B-29 was just fine!

Dumonceau

DaveQ
August 3rd, 2014, 10:17
After Jafo posted his revised panels, been flying the Voodoo a bit these last few days. A beautiful model, just wish it was to current FSX standards. Never happen though, sadly...:dejection:

DaveQ

Geomitrak
August 3rd, 2014, 10:59
Their F-105 is pretty good, especially with the modified FDE. One of the best things they ever did, I think.

Very much looking forward to their Avro Lincoln.

EDIT: Link for F-105 mod:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=4&linkid=18485

Bjoern
August 3rd, 2014, 14:09
just wish it was to current FSX standards

If Virtavia posted the Gmax source files, I'd be all over that bird.

(Native FSX conversion, not a rework.)

DaveQ
August 4th, 2014, 00:59
Their F-105 is pretty good, especially with the modified FDE. One of the best things they ever did, I think.

Very much looking forward to their Avro Lincoln.

EDIT: Link for F-105 mod:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=4&linkid=18485

The description refers to the (very) old freeware Thud. I assume it can be used with the newer FSX payware version??

Bjoern - Yeah - don't think Phil would be willing to give them up.... And yes it's a great pity some of these older ex-FS9 planes will never be done to current standards. Alphasim/Virtavia has a wonderful repertoire of these.

DaveQ

tommieboy
August 4th, 2014, 12:28

Kent

That can be a double edge sword (FPS wise) for those of us with older hardware. But yeah, I'd like to see the following aircraft eventually updated:

Martin Mars (could use a better radial engine sound set too)
B-36 Peacemaker (Dave Q's repaints are the best out there!!!)
Tu-160 Blackjack (a separate VC model may help with frame rates?)

Tommy

Geomitrak
August 4th, 2014, 13:36
The description refers to the (very) old freeware Thud. I assume it can be used with the newer FSX payware version??

I have it installed in the payware version. Here's the readme that accompanies it.

May 2014 - Alphasim/Virtavia F-105D realism mod - from real Thud pilots

To install, navigate to your F-105D folder in the aircraft directory of FSX or P3D. Backup your "aircraft.cfg" and "F105DClean.air" files.

You may simply copy the new F105DClean.air file into your F-105 directory now, overwriting the original (assuming you backed it up elsewhere).

The aircraft.cfg file is a little more complex, since you'll want to preserve your selected paintjobs and models at the top of the file - replacing only the performance sections below that.

Open our aircraft.cfg file, copy all of the contents, and past into your aircraft.cfg file REPLACING ALL OF THE SECTIONS COPIED FROM OUR FILE, BUT NO OTHERS. This should leave your paintjobs, models and camera angles unchanged while introducing our performance and behavior modifications. The order of our sections is the same as the stock file, so should be one simple copy and paste action of the entire block.

These mods work with the changes in the ".air" file to create the more realistic experience you'll have when flying the Thud on t/o, approach, and in formation.

Enjoy your "improved" F-105D! If you hate it, no sweat, just copy over your backed-up files and you're back to where you were.

If you find you like this mod, let me know. If it appears there is a need, we'll post more of our performance mods driven by our real-world fighter guys for planes we've flown. We've benefitted from all the good work of others in the flight sim community, and would enjoy the opportunity to give back.

Ian Warren
August 4th, 2014, 16:01
B-36 Peacemaker (Dave Q's repaints are the best out there!!!)

Diffidently a primary, some reason that B-36 has international connections , my brother stops here regular and real words directly .. can't say that here :untroubled: and we are born and breed New Zealand'ers .. how the Jimmy Jillickers did a Convair B-36 come into the equation :pop4: that would one that requires a cockpit update .. just simply because if my Brother go's WOW ! .. not a flight simmer - mean s this has to be looked at !

mal998
August 5th, 2014, 07:06
From a business point of view, re-vamping older models make little sense as they are already out there in the market place. It is unlikely that people who own those older models would shell out more money for updated versions. Traditionally, product updates are done either to fix deficiencies in recent releases or to update flight dynamics and do not generate revenue. Having said that, I find the idea of updating older models an exciting one. Bringing older models, flight dynamics and VCs up to today's standards would be terrific because AlphaSim had such a huge variety of types, and the hobby has mades so many strides forward since those days. Still, I will consider posing the idea to Phil just to see what he thinks about it. There may come a time when he doesn't want to produce brand new models, so who knows.

glh
August 5th, 2014, 08:39
From a business point of view, re-vamping older models make little sense as they are already out there in the market place. It is unlikely that people who own those older models would shell out more money for updated versions. Traditionally, product updates are done either to fix deficiencies in recent releases or to update flight dynamics and do not generate revenue. Having said that, I find the idea of updating older models an exciting one. Bringing older models, flight dynamics and VCs up to today's standards would be terrific because AlphaSim had such a huge variety of types, and the hobby has mades so many strides forward since those days. Still, I will consider posing the idea to Phil just to see what he thinks about it. There may come a time when he doesn't want to produce brand new models, so who knows.

Just out of curiousity, can you tell us what were the Top 3 best selling models of the AlphaSim/Virtavia line? If the info is proprietary, ignore my request. It would seem the best sellers would be candidates for upgrading due to more people having them and desiring a more current model.

From a buyer's standpoint, I'll give you some info about my approach. I have a gazillion models stored on my digital external hard drive so I am at no loss to go grab whatever appeals to me at the moment. I put an upper limit of $20 for purchases of new FSX models that get my attention. I'm usually willing to wait until the holiday sales roll around to see if 25-50% off comes up on something I want in at or in excess of that price.

IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, I think developers should stick to a basic clean airframe model (and a paint kit). Incorporate airframe model accessories (external fuel, stores, both) if it is reasonably easy to add them to the basic model. Adding in developer repaints is questionable. We have a lot of repainters who produce them FREE for the community because they like to do it. To paraphrase the saying -- if the developer builds a popular model, the repaints will come !!

Just my $.02. <label for="rb_iconid_6">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon6.png</label>