PDA

View Full Version : Warbirsim P-51C-10-NT 'The West 'by Gawd' Virginian'

Epsillon
January 23rd, 2009, 01:20
North American P-51C-10-NT Mustang, #42-106914, PE-P, 'The West 'by Gawd" Virginian', flown by Lt. Robert H. "Punchy" Powell Jr., assigned to the 352nd Fighter Group, Bodney, England. Punchy hails form Wilcoe West Virginia where he was born on 21 November 1921. He attended West Virginia State University for two years before joining the Air Corps in early 1942. He was awarded his wings and commissioned a 2nd Lt. at Luke Field in January 1943. In April Bob was sent to England and after arriving was sent to Atcham to get checked out on the P-47 Thunderbolt. He had a chance to fly Spit MkV's while he was there and enjoyed its diminutive size compared to the big Jug that he was soon to be flying in combat. In November 1943 Punchy was assigned to the 328th Squadron of the 352nd Fighter Group based in Bodney, Norfolk. He flew his first mission as an Air Sea Rescue Spotter on Armistice Day. On 22 December 1943 he teamed up with Major Everett Stewart to shoot down a twin engine Me 110. He was also part of the trio that shot down an He 177 "New York" bomber on 4 January 1944-- the first time the type had been destroyed in the air by AAF pilots. Between his first mission on 11 November 1943 and August 4, 1944 Bob Punchy" Powell flew 89 missions with the 352nd FG. He claimed 5.333 enemy aircraft destroyed, 2 probables and 5 damaged. He was awarded the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters, The Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, a Presidential Unit Citation, and the European Theatre Award with three Battle Stars.

72462 72463

Uploaded exclusively on SOH. Search for Eps_P-51CFL_Virginian.zip

Best regards,

Stephan

Thunderbolt
January 23rd, 2009, 02:47
Awesome, super work !!!!!! :ernae:

jankees
January 23rd, 2009, 07:02
Hey Stephan, why are you painting all the birds I wanted to do??

Just kidding, great job!

Cees Donker
January 23rd, 2009, 07:04
Hey Stephan, why are you painting all the birds I wanted to do??

Just kidding, great job!

Should have bought the FS9 version!

:173go1:

Cees

WarHorse47
January 23rd, 2009, 15:39
Stephan, I want to thank you for your beautiful work.

It has been one of those nasty weeks at the office. I came home, found the 'Virginian,' downloaded and installed it, and went for a 30 minute flight before dinner. The work and detail you put into your repaints is truly enjoyable.

Thanks again for making my day. :amen:

--WH

Epsillon
January 23rd, 2009, 19:45
Thank you for your nice comments, guys! :wave:

Stephan, I want to thank you for your beautiful work.

It has been one of those nasty weeks at the office. I came home, found the 'Virginian,' downloaded and installed it, and went for a 30 minute flight before dinner. The work and detail you put into your repaints is truly enjoyable.

Thanks again for making my day. :amen:

--WH
WH, this is what is great with FS community, everyday a little surprise (a repaint for a plane, a great screenshot for Windows desktop), sometimes a bigger one (a great plane or scenery generously offered by a great designer or an humble "poly pusher") and sometimes both...

FS community is the promise that someone somewhere has thought of us.
Bomber has made the great surprise with is paintkit, I'm happy to make little ones with my repaints and I'm sure other repainters feel the same way.

Today, my good surprise is your post...

Thank you.:wave:

Best regards.

Stephan

huub vink
January 24th, 2009, 06:56
Beautiful work Stephan. One of the nicest "blue noses"! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Huub