PDA

View Full Version : A very unexpected connection on Facebook

Navy Chief
June 11th, 2014, 15:01
One of the groups I belong to on Facebook is for former A-7 Corsair Maintainers. A new member posted a couple days ago, named Thomas Brown. He wrote that he had been a Plane Captain with VA-195 onboard the Kitty Hawk, and that he went by the nickname "Scotty".

Well, something about that name rang a bell with me. Way back around 1973 or 74 timeframe, I went on a det from NATC Patuxent River to the Kitty Hawk to certify the ship's ACLS system prior to its next deployment. Pax River would send one of each type of aircraft that would be deployed. I was sent as a Corsair II Plane Captain; my first at-sea experience. The Kitty Hawk was berthed at North Island's pier, just forward of the Bon Homme Richard, and the Shangri-La (which were destined for the mothball fleet, I believe).

I was more than a little apprehensive about working up on the flight deck (or roof) for the first time. Up til then, I had only briefly worked as a Plane Captain, and was definitely a "newbie".

The Kitty pulled away from the pier at North Island, and headed out to sea. Most of the other Plane Captains were more experienced, but that didn't really calm my nerves.

It wasn't long before the Pax River aircraft were in the pattern. All the maintenance crew from Pax were in the catwalks, waiting. Our work space was close to VA-195's Line Div. space, and I befriended a guy named "Scotty Brown", who was from Glasgow, Scotland, complete with a very thick Scottish accent! Scotty did his best to calm my nerves, and show me how to navigate the flight deck; a most dangerous place, especially for a newbie like I was! What scared me the most was figuring out how to get to my assigned SLUF, with all the other aircraft taxiing about the deck. Scotty showed me how to crawl under aircraft while they were moving, wait for just the moment to go behind a turning aircraft, and how to go in front of the intake as well. It was all quite frightening to me. But Scotty, in his thick Scottish accent, assured me I would learn.

Well, my first flight deck experience was memorable. Crawling under a moving aircraft with six tie down chains draped over my flight deck vest was a real test. Besides the exhaust from other aircraft taxiing nearby, you had to contend with the possibility of one or more of your chains hooking a pad eye when you were underneath the aircraft! But I managed to do my job, and I credit the tutelage of Scotty Brown.

Over the years, I have told that story many times. Always wondered if maybe someday I would be able to reconnect with Scotty.

Fast forward to present day, with the internet and Facebook.

I messaged Thomas "Scotty" Brown, and related my story to him. He replied early today, saying he is indeed that same Scotty Brown! I replied, thanking him for the help he gave me, so many years ago.

He lives in Jacksonville, FL, has a wife, and works at Walmart.

With the marvels of the internet, you just never know who you might reconnect with.

Navy Chief

Daveroo
June 11th, 2014, 15:18
thats awesome...are you in a position to invite he and his wife to dinner?...you are in Florida too,are you not?....

had yoou ever heard of Joesph Satrapa?.he flew those beasts in about that time period,,they said he was a wildman,one story i read was that he was going into the pilots room,,he had all his equipment on (maybe it was earlier ,Vietnam war time?)and he had a pistol on his hip,and several hand grenades strapped to his vest,incase he was shotdown,he had something to fight back with)apparently he wasnt supposed to be armed in this room?..i dont know,im not a military vet,,dont know the rules..but the story goes that he walked in and bumped the door..one or two of the grenades fell off and rolled under some chairs...the room cleared in seconds..but Joe stood his ground and got on his knees and searched for them..and calmly strapped em back on....then asked someone near him..why did they all run off?...

Navy Chief
June 11th, 2014, 15:23
thats awesome...are you in a position to invite he and his wife to dinner?...you are in Florida too,are you not?....

had yoou ever heard of Joesph Satrapa?.he flew those beasts in about that time period,,they said he was a wildman,one story i read was that he was going into the pilots room,,he had all his equipment on (maybe it was earlier ,Vietnam war time?)and he had a pistol on his hip,and several hand grenades strapped to his vest,incase he was shotdown,he had something to fight back with)apparently he wasnt supposed to be armed in this room?..i dont know,im not a military vet,,dont know the rules..but the story goes that he walked in and bumped the door..one or two of the grenades fell off and rolled under some chairs...the room cleared in seconds..but Joe stood his ground and got on his knees and searched for them..and calmly strapped em back on....then asked someone near him..why did they all run off?...

Interesting story about Joe Satrapa. I didn't know him though!

Scotty and his wife are in Jacksonville, a long drive from where I live now in Fort Myers, and still a long drive from Pensacola, where we will be, come mid July! NC