PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate "aircraft" file for FS9?

SSI01
June 4th, 2014, 11:04
I may be about to reveal the depths of my ignorance, however, in the interests of possibly adding to the amusement of fellow members, here goes.

Recently I was in my OS drive for my machine, which is E: drive. While there, I visited Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/Microsoft/FS9 and discovered I have a complete duplicate of my "Aircraft" folder for my FS9 installation. With a few minor differences, there is one for my FSX installation, too. This could add up to a lot of space on the machine used in a duplicative manner. What is the reason for this duplication of "Aircraft" and "SimObjects/Airplanes" files?

ViperPilot2
June 4th, 2014, 11:25
The Aircraft Folders are for each individual Sim installation; they do not co-mingle with each other. If you delete one, you've deleted all of the Aircraft for that Sim installation.

The "SimObjects/Airplanes" Folder is associated with FSX. The "Aircraft" Folder is associated with FS9.

Leave everything as is, and all will be good.

tgibson
June 4th, 2014, 13:24
Hi,

That normally indicates that your OS has detected a file permissions issue with your main FS folder, and has copied the changed files to this other folder. That usually means you do not have the permissions set up correctly for your FS folder. This could have happened some time in the past, though, if you've since fixed it.

Bradburger
June 4th, 2014, 14:19
I may be about to reveal the depths of my ignorance, however, in the interests of possibly adding to the amusement of fellow members, here goes.

Recently I was in my OS drive for my machine, which is E: drive. While there, I visited Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data/Microsoft/FS9 and discovered I have a complete duplicate of my "Aircraft" folder for my FS9 installation. With a few minor differences, there is one for my FSX installation, too. This could add up to a lot of space on the machine used in a duplicative manner. What is the reason for this duplication of "Aircraft" and "SimObjects/Airplanes" files?

I think you'll find this is where the accumulated engine time data is stored for each aircraft, and not a duplicate of your FS9 'Aircraft' folder,or FSX 'SimObjects' folder.

Each folder contains a small .cfg file called 'state' which of course can be opened with notepad, so you shouldn't have any worries about excessive file size.

Cheers

Paul

Tom Clayton
June 4th, 2014, 18:12
Paul is correct. The state.cfg files contain accumulated engine time for each plane. Plus, if you change the registration number in the aircraft selection screen, that change is recorded. If you delete the contents of that aircraft folder, those engine times and custom registrations are all you'll lose. As soon as you restart the Sim, the entire contents will be rebuilt.

wombat666
June 4th, 2014, 22:30

Tom and Paul have summed it up perfectly.
And there are no 'stupid' questions, only stupid answers ....... :ernaehrung004:

SSI01
June 6th, 2014, 03:06
Thanks, everyone, for this explanatory info. BTW the folders are empty, although there copies of all cfig files for the different iterations of FS9 on my system, plus dxdiag, in there with the aircraft folders.

napamule
June 18th, 2014, 18:40
Well, no matter where (drive D:, E:, or X:) you installed Sim(s), the sim cfg (folder) and the state files (folder) will always be placed by THE SIM on your C: drive, no matter what. So, you don't have any control over that. Permissions is not involved with this. We ALL have those folders.

And as to 'file size': If you had 1000 aircraft, you would only have 1000 Kb (ie:1 Mb) of 'data' (ie: state.cfg) in that folder.

But I think Mr Gibson might have something there. Learn how to set up permissions. Google it.
Chuck B
Napamule