PDA

View Full Version : Transcontinental Tradewind

Moses03
May 31st, 2014, 20:16
On February 24th, 1955 a Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind set the turboprop transcontinental speed record with a flight of six hours flat. The record still stands today.

This was my attempt to replicate that with the Virtavia FSX model. As you can see I fell short of the record due mostly to a lackluster Jet Stream.

Overall route was North Island NAS San Diego to NAS Patuxent River Maryland. Clocking in at :06:42:01.

http://i59.tinypic.com/10z2uf6.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/t7edc0.jpg

Notes:

There were a couple of issues. One, about an hour into the flight, my 8yr old came over to take a look and there was a spilled beverage incident. In hurrying to clean up the mess, I didn’t see that the R3Y-1 had gone into overspeed and I had to pitch up to FL300 to bleed off the excess speed. (The model does not easily slow. Not sure if this is a real attribute or a Virtavia quirk). With 89.5 seconds of overspeed registered, I had to be conservative the rest of the flight.

Also suffered more overspeed time with several wind shifts over Virginia on descent. Eventually a total of 103.1 seconds!

The other nitpick is that my segment from Albuquerque to Wichita was not the most concise.

OT: This was a good test of FSX running under Windows 8.1. Knock on wood.

Taco
June 1st, 2014, 06:14
Hey Moses03, looks like Moses01 is looking to join the action! Nice presentation Kevin, thanks.

Jim

PRB
June 3rd, 2014, 15:23
Great flight. Hate it when the Jet Stream is lack luster when I have a sense of urgency. Somebody needs to light a fire under that thing. Is there a chapter in the emergency procedures checklist for spilled beverages in the cockpit?

EasyEd
June 7th, 2014, 21:38
Hey All,

I saw this post and thought - that be fun to do. Haven't flown in a while and so chose my favorite PC-12. Love this single engine turboprop. All real planes run on kerosene :a1310:. Course I'm slower (48 mins) than Moses but that isn't what its about - just a long flight historic enjoying FS. Didn't get any snaps taking off - trying to remember how to fly the plane. :mixed-smiley-010:

Attachments are - over Albuquerque, over Whichita, over whatever it was in Kentucky - Louisville?, at NAS Pastuxent, the duenna.

Very enjoyable - have at it you guys.

-Ed-

Moses03
June 8th, 2014, 09:09
Nice show Ed. :encouragement: Looks like you had a better Jet Stream.