PDA

View Full Version : "Select Aircraft" Question

dhasdell
May 31st, 2014, 02:57
This must have arisen before, but I don't remember seeing it, so here's my question.

Sometimes I have added aircraft, often portovers, which do not appear properly in the Select Aircraft menu, even as a grey shape with a question mark. However, the name of the aircraft does appear in the correct alphabetical place, and pushes everything later in the alphabet down by as many places as the new one has colour schemes. I think it must be something to do with the aircraft.cfg, but what, exactly?

dhazelgrove
May 31st, 2014, 03:07
This must have arisen before, but I don't remember seeing it, so here's my question.

Sometimes I have added aircraft, often portovers, which do not appear properly in the Select Aircraft menu, even as a grey shape with a question mark. However, the name of the aircraft does appear in the correct alphabetical place, and pushes everything later in the alphabet down by as many places as the new one has colour schemes. I think it must be something to do with the aircraft.cfg, but what, exactly?

There are entries in the aircraft.cfg file that you have to mod slightly from their FS9 versions.
As an example, from the Cloud9 F-4:

From this, in FS9:
ui_manufacturer=Cloud9
ui_type=F-4F Phantom - Clean configuration
ui_variation=Germany 38+68

To this, in FSX:
ui_createdby=Cloud9 ;MOD: USED IN FSX AIRCRAFT SELECTION SCREEN
ui_typerole=Twin Engine Jet ;MOD: USED IN FSX AIRCRAFT SELECTION SCREEN
ui_manufacturer=McDonnell Douglas ;MOD, was "Cloud9"
ui_type=F-4F Phantom ;MOD, "F-4F Phantom - Clean configuration"
ui_variation=Germany 38+68

Hope this clears things up for you.
The 'grey shape with a question mark' appears when your individual texture directories don't have a "thumbnail.jpg" file.

Dave

Dumonceau
May 31st, 2014, 04:20

David , the grey shape with a question mark is a result from the absence of a thumbnail.jpg in de texture folder.

So putting a jpg image in that texture folder and renaming it to thumbnail.jpg corrects that problem.

Take care,

Dumonceau

Stickshaker
May 31st, 2014, 05:02
Under 'general' in the aircraft.cfg, there should be the entry: category=airplane

dhasdell
May 31st, 2014, 05:42
Thank you all. It was the Category=airplane that worked. Previously I wasn't getting the thumbnail and the aircraft titles were appearing under the wrong thumbnails, but now at least I am getting the grey + question mark. Now I just have to remember which other aircraft it happened with - I think the Westland Wasp helicopter was one.