PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Defiant Gunner to actually do some work!

Oliver
May 23rd, 2014, 13:51
How do I get the Defiant Gunner to pull his finger out?

I fly into a bomber stream.....the world and his wife open up on us...we emerge from bomber stream looking like a sieve and my gunner has not fired a shot!

How can I get him to be a bit more proactive?

Thanks

Pat Pattle
May 25th, 2014, 00:26

I fly into a bomber stream.....the world and his wife open up on us...we emerge from bomber stream looking like a sieve and my gunner has not fired a shot!

Thanks

Hi Oliver, I've not seen this problem. You have to give your gunner a clear shot of course.

Also, are you in QC or a mission? It's always seems to me that cfs3 comes alive in missions or a campaign - you see things that don't occur in quick combat.

Just tried a simple mission and my man put up a good show despite the fact that I forgot to lower the turret fairings! :redface-new:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3Defiant264sqdn_zps84eb2b60.jpg?

Lt. Heinz Becker
May 25th, 2014, 09:47
I always set the autopilot on and do the work myself. Don't let the AI have all the fun.:encouragement:

Led Zeppelin
May 25th, 2014, 12:06
I've got exactly the same problem as Oliver, this is why I built missions specifically for the Defiant that starts in the air so I can get into the turret without autopilot 'yoyo'.

Oliver
May 25th, 2014, 12:21
Hi Oliver, I've not seen this problem. You have to give your gunner a clear shot of course.

Also, are you in QC or a mission? It's always seems to me that cfs3 comes alive in missions or a campaign - you see things that don't occur in quick combat.

Just tried a simple mission and my man put up a good show despite the fact that I forgot to lower the turret fairings! :redface-new:

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/CFS3Defiant264sqdn_zps84eb2b60.jpg?

I have to admit I have only used it in QC.

I will build and try some missions and or campaign and see what happens.

Also I was interested in your comment on lowering the turret fairings! Didn't know I had to do that and whilst on the subject how do I lower them?

HouseHobbit
May 25th, 2014, 12:57
I had to learn how to use Her when I built the missions for Her.
The Defiant likes to be close enough to start with to the enemy..
Too far away and the AI doesn't shoot, but within the proper range the AI managed to shoot up several of the enemy aircraft..
I too often use the auto pilot and jump into the turret and bang away myself.

They did see somewhat limited use early in the war, The idea of No forward firing guns didn't seem to work out very well.
But what seemed to be a good idea when built, didn't work out well against a determined enemy..
And the Bf 109's had a field day shooting them down..Bummer..

Oliver
May 25th, 2014, 13:16
I had to learn how to use Her when I built the missions for Her.
The Defiant likes to be close enough to start with to the enemy..
Too far away and the AI doesn't shoot, but within the proper range the AI managed to shoot up several of the enemy aircraft..
I too often use the auto pilot and jump into the turret and bang away myself.

They did see somewhat limited use early in the war, The idea of No forward firing guns didn't seem to work out very well.
But what seemed to be a good idea when built, didn't work out well against a determined enemy..
And the Bf 109's had a field day shooting them down..Bummer..

I believe that when the BF109's first encountered the Defiant they came off worse as they mistook them for Hurricanes and came in from behind only to be greeted by 4 browning machine guns. But as you say once they learnt their mistake down went the Defiants.

I think the idea of the Defiant stemmed from the 1930's when some bright spark came up with the idea that with increasing airspeeds the day of the dogfight was over and all an intercepter had to do was get among the bombers, fly along side and bang away! No need for forward firing guns!

I believe that I am correct in thinking they achieved thier best when used as a night fighter, but again the lack of forward firing armament was a limitation.

darklight
May 25th, 2014, 16:24
...I think the idea of the Defiant stemmed from the 1930's when some bright spark came up with the idea that with increasing airspeeds the day of the dogfight was over and all an intercepter had to do was get among the bombers, fly along side and bang away! No need for forward firing guns!...

Or it was an idea still left from WW1 when an observer in the back of a 2 seater (e.g. Bristol Fighter) would be very useful.

Oliver
May 25th, 2014, 22:43
Or it was an idea still left from WW1 when an observer in the back of a 2 seater (e.g. Bristol Fighter) would be very useful.

Thats an interesting point. But at least the Bristol Fighter had a forward firing gun.

swpierce
May 27th, 2014, 17:05
I have to admit I have only used it in QC.

I will build and try some missions and or campaign and see what happens.

Also I was interested in your comment on lowering the turret fairings! Didn't know I had to do that and whilst on the subject how do I lower them?

It's the same control as you use for bomb bay doors for the turret fairings, on my setup it's Shift + B.

Daiwilletti
May 28th, 2014, 01:44

Thanks

The ETO Mk1 Defiant reads:
<GunStation UpLimit="84" DownLimit="0" LeftLimit="120" RightLimit="120" RateLimit="45" SystemID="upper_chin_gun" Tracer="30" Trainable="1" Trigger="0" Type="ETO_in_gun_303cal" Name="Upper Turret Gun" UseSmallFlash="1" ConvergeDistance="250" Pitch="0" MaxAmmo="2400"/>

There were some threads on this when the Defiant came out. Something to do with Trigger="0" or Trigger="1" in the xdp file IIRC? Something that determines whether the AI gunner does his/her job? Experiment with changing the Trainable parameter.

Also ensure trainable=1 otherwise the turret will not rotate.

If that is sorted, try increasing the range in the turret gun's xdp file under the Guns folder. Don't forget to delete the gun's bdp file. Try something like range=400.

HTH,

swpierce
May 30th, 2014, 08:20
I have installed the AvHistory_gb_gun_303cal_power_turret guns which have a Range="593".
I have also modified the turret rotation to a full 360 degrees: LeftLimit="180" RightLimit="180". I did an internet search and found numerous mentions that the turret was capable of this full circle and nothing to the contrary.
My gunner now seems to be reasonably active in QC.

Oliver
May 30th, 2014, 23:28
I tried the Defiant in both missons and campaign and on both occasions the gunner just sat there admiring the view!

I will play about with the parameters now.

gaw
May 31st, 2014, 04:09
also...."rate limit" I believe is not the rate of fire but the rate at which the turret can turn.....higher #'s and the guy'll whip around like lightning!

Oliver
June 1st, 2014, 12:53
Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

All working okay now. Have a DO17 kill to our credit!!