PDA

View Full Version : Shiney Metal

gray eagle
May 5th, 2014, 09:20
Looking for a file that was posted here (perhaps in a thread) on soh that you could add to any texture and the metal work would be shiner especially if aluminum.
I think I first saw it here last year when the C47 first rolled out.

Tim-HH
May 5th, 2014, 09:28
I guess you mean Bob Rivera's Alternate GlobalEnvTest (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=alternate_globalenvtest.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search) texture :)

Greetings
Tim

Paul Anderson
May 5th, 2014, 09:43
You might want to check out envmap.bmp or GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds map for FSX, think Banana Bob and others (including payware) had one or the other for chrome reflections.
If is placed in the aircraft texture folder, takes precedence over the default file.
Hope this helps.

(dang, Tim-HH quicker than me)

gray eagle
May 5th, 2014, 14:35
Thanks guys.

That was it. All I had to do was put the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds in any texture that I wanted a boost in the aluminum reflections

Found the older file I had used before when I did a file search and it came up with: New crazy reflections aluminum
by a dude here named "Hanimical"

Drop it in the the texture folder for the repaint you wish to test it on.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ccnkb5.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/sczxwz.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/dloz7m.jpg

gray eagle
May 5th, 2014, 14:51
You might want to check out envmap.bmp or GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds map for FSX, think Banana Bob and others (including payware) had one or the other for chrome reflections.
If is placed in the aircraft texture folder, takes precedence over the default file.
Hope this helps.

(dang, Tim-HH quicker than me)

esto es correcto,

gaucho_59
May 5th, 2014, 16:39
El Correcto, A little Cinco de Mayo lingo for ya. :adoration:

I don't get it... El Correcto?????

G.

gray eagle
May 5th, 2014, 16:43
I don't get it... El Correcto?????

G.

Edit. esto es correcto = That is Correct.

gaucho_59
May 5th, 2014, 17:48
Edit. esto es correcto = That is Correct.

Really, I am a native Spanish speaker... That is correct... is not Esto es correcto... but
Eso es correcto... is the idiomatic expression...
Esto es correcto... indeed means ... literally translated... This is correct...
But Spanish, just like English... has idiomatic expressions that defy logic....

Spanish is like French... you don't say in French... Il est correct... you say c'est correct...

but you say: il fait chaud (It is hot... literally though... it means "he makes hot"...)
In English.. we simply say: It's hot (who is hot? ...the weather)
English articles have no gender... but most other languages (I speak 6 fluently) have
gender... like esto (neuter) este (masc.) esta (fem)... in French... ce cette... etc.

By the way... nice metal reflections...

olderndirt
May 5th, 2014, 17:57
Really, I am a native Spanish speaker... That is correct... is not Esto es correcto... but

Spanish is like French... you don't say in French... Il est correct... you say c'est correct...

but you say: il fait chaud (It is hot... literally though... it means "he makes hot"...)
English articles have no gender... but most other languages (I speak 6 fluently) have
gender... like esto (neuter) este (masc.) esta (fem)... in French... ce cette... etc.

By the way... nice metal reflections...Bien dicho, Senor.

Blood_Hawk23
May 5th, 2014, 18:57

I take it you haven't been to New Brunswick, Canada. I have family up there. They speak French but you'll never understand them. It is really bad. Your hear five words in French then get a word in English then some words are mixed. And they talk FAST. Thank God the rest of French Speaking Canada isn't like that.

That texture is great.
Is the shine part of the model or is it more from how the texture was made?

gray eagle
May 6th, 2014, 09:13

gracias seņor

And thanks for the Spanish Lessions

gray eagle
May 6th, 2014, 09:15
I take it you haven't been to New Brunswick, Canada. I have family up there. They speak French but you'll never understand them. It is really bad. Your hear five words in French then get a word in English then some words are mixed. And they talk FAST. Thank God the rest of French Speaking Canada isn't like that.

That texture is great.
Is the shine part of the model or is it more from how the texture was made?

A little of both; I added a different GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds to the textures files.

Javis
May 6th, 2014, 18:43
El Correcto, A little Cinco de Mayo lingo for ya.:adoration:

http://youtu.be/so8LJxOmsSw

Hanimichal
May 6th, 2014, 19:53
Here two models of GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome by me :-)
http://www.4shared.com/zip/LvwKsljTce/GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome_2_models_B.html
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j9663d6zca7zd8r/GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome_2_models_By_Hanimichal.zip
https://app.box.com/s/znxrbxw05r8jxz3gxhfr

PLUTO16
May 7th, 2014, 10:32
If you want to boost your shining effect,in addition to change your GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds,you can work also on your's airpane textures. In other words,normally you can find a file called "fresnel ramp",you can work on it to change your reflections range. Other than these two parameters,remember also that the shining effect works on the alpha channel of the diffuse texture,i.e. the darker is the alpha,the shiner is the surface you rework.
For reference,this is a part of the documentation I added to our F84F paintkit,hope it helps to understand all the procedure:

F84F_T_0x:
Also called "diffuse" texture,it represents what you will see in your simulator.

Due to the fact that the "diffuse"texture have the alpha channel (if you open the texture you will findit) there is a sub-layer,chained inside the texture,called "alpha".
The meaning of the alpha channel (that is in greyscale) in a diffuse texture is to let you "mirrorshine" or not your texture. Darker color: more mirror,lighter color,less mirror. If you are working with a metal polished livery,the metal parts have to be darker,and your decals have to bewhite.
The alpha channels work mainly on the reverse side of the direct light,so you will experience the metal shine also in non-direct spot lighted sides of the aircraft.

F84F_T_0x_specular:
This texture represents the color of the reflex your object will have under direct lightning. For example,a blue painted surface should have a specular colour more or less light blue. A red color should have an orange reflex,and so on. For the decals,you can merge all your decals from the diffuse,export them in the specular,and overlay with a 50% dense white colour. Normally it works. With the specular you can customize very well also the metal look: there are some kind of metals that reflects in blue,others in grey,others in brown: make your choice and overlay with the reflex colour that for you fits best.
The specular texture,like the diffuse,has an alpha channel.Also for this texture,the alpha channel is included in the texture,and must be worked separately. The rules for the alpha channel in the specular textures are very simple: As more as you turn to white your object, the specular colur you have choosen in the specular texture will disappear. In other words if you want to have a shiny (not "metal" shiny,for this purpose you have to use the diffuse alpha) colour,move your alpha tone to dark. Is simply a filter,and it works slightly different from the diffuse alpha: there it works as a filter for the "metal shine" effect,here it works as a filter for the specular colour.