PDA

View Full Version : The B-Triangle or T-Zone?

hellcat44
January 21st, 2009, 15:35
Flew a successful mission that took 60 actual minutes of flight/fight time.
A little shot up...but six kills and even found the task force again...or so I thought. Instead of ships though, non-moving wakes and smoke. :Banane44:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u256/hellcat44/turkey22.jpg

Tango_Romeo
January 21st, 2009, 15:47
...a quirk of CFS2 that you see when you return to the spot the task force was when you launched and they have long since moved on. What you have done in this shot is found the spot you took off from. To find your carrier, you'll need to fly 30 miles down her course.

HOW TO AVOID THIS: Since your carrier is moving at let's say 30kts, and your mission will probably last an hour (whether you fly it manually or WARP it), place your last WP before the final landing WP on the carrier about 29 miles down the carrier's course.

That may look a bit odd in MB (having that last WP before landing way out in front of the carrier.....but it works. And no ghosts. :ernae:

hellcat44
January 21st, 2009, 18:08
Well I'll be damned...and the demon behind me just said "Indeed!".
Must have missed that in the MB tut. :p:

Blue Devil
January 21st, 2009, 19:33
Or...

You can:

1. Spend a little pre-flight time with a chart to plot headings and distances from your strike zone to the carrier recovery point.

2. Follow another flight out, ...or plot your course to the strike zone, ...w/o using your way-point indicator.

3. Return using ONLY your compass, ASI, clock, and Mk.1 eye-ball to navigate back to the recovery point.

4. Use the CFS2 GPS (the one w/ only the distance and direction indicator) to triangulate your approximate present location based on airfield radio signals, ...or landmarks, ...if any.

5. Upon arrival at the boat, ...which most likely won't be there, ...begin and continue an expanding box search pattern while you watch your fuel gauge drop and you frantically work your RDF (GPS) to figure out where you are.

6. Pray.

7. A. Find the boat, ...and make a successful trap.
....B. Find the boat, ...and crash into the fantail.
....C. Find the boat, ...miss the wires, ...and crash into the island.
....D. Find the boat, ...miss the wires, ...roll off the deck, ... and crash into the bow wake.
....E. Run out of gas, ...and ditch.

8. Change your skivvies, ...and understand Naval Aviation over water during WWII from an aviator's perspective.

enjoy.