PDA

View Full Version : Hackers find Windows XP-related vulnerability

Ickie
April 27th, 2014, 13:22
vulnerability in xp found by hackers
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247940/Hackers_find_first_post_retirement_Windows_XP_rela ted_vulnerability

Allen
April 27th, 2014, 13:48
I got $5 on the MS leaked this bug...

/Tinfoil hat...

robert41
April 27th, 2014, 15:05
The computer tech that pulled a virus off my computer earlier this month has some interesting things to say about XP. Hackers are taking Windows Vista viruses and making them backwards compatible for XP. I started thinking, that is a heck of a lot of work for an old OS that few use anymore. Or so I thought. Then he told me about a local company that still uses XP for online financial/banking use. Not good.

GypsyBaron
April 27th, 2014, 16:08
Here is the salient portion of this 'disclosure':

"Computerworld - Microsoft on Saturday told customers that cyber-criminals are exploiting an unpatched and critical vulnerability in Internet Explorer (IE) using "drive-by" attacks."

IE.....if anyone is still using Internet Explorer, then you are, indeed, asking for trouble.

I completely deleted/disabled that extremely flawed entity long ago! It takes a little work in Xp to do that
but M$ did provide a 'disable' feature in Win7.

Paul

stuartcox
April 29th, 2014, 15:03
I worked for 'American Express' in their European HQ here in Britain, and most computer terminals still run XP!
Never mind confidential data - it takes time to switch to W7...!

Ickie
May 1st, 2014, 10:00
check your winders updated a fix has been provided:applause:

Allen
May 1st, 2014, 11:28
Some one wouldn't happen to have a link for the XP fix? I tried looking using the MS update website but it was not there.

Dumonceau
May 1st, 2014, 11:40
vulnerability in xp found by hackers
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9247940/Hackers_find_first_post_retirement_Windows_XP_rela ted_vulnerability

Ickie,

This vulnerability has been around since IE6 and Mickey$oft has known about it all that time. They just didn't bother telling the users about it and flat out refused to talk to Adobe on closing the hole.

On 4chan.org this has been a source of laughs for years now.

Even the NSA knew about it, but since it was so helpful for their own purposes, they didn't see a need to inform the public either.

Proof once more that the companies we rely on for software and the government agencies that are supposed to look after us are not to be trusted. They don't give a rats @ss about us.

I'll get of the soapbox now...

Dumonceau

ananda
May 1st, 2014, 14:22
Some one wouldn't happen to have a link for the XP fix? I tried looking using the MS update website but it was not there.

Just checked MS Update and it installed the fix.

George

Allen
May 1st, 2014, 15:07
You wouldn't happen to know its ID number? Still not listed for me.

ananda
May 1st, 2014, 15:54
You wouldn't happen to know its ID number? Still not listed for me.
KB2964358

http://s16.postimg.org/ms29axrat/IE_Update.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Ickie
May 1st, 2014, 16:12
here is the link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

note i use win 7 ie-11

i had 4 updates for my old xp machine

Roger
May 2nd, 2014, 11:57
Just updated with this fix and now I have an XP pc that refuses to boot past bios! Time for a Google I think,,,

Roger
May 2nd, 2014, 13:27
Just updated with this fix and now I have an XP pc that refuses to boot past bios! Time for a Google I think,,,

Google has nothing to offer so it maybe a reinstall.

Dumonceau
May 2nd, 2014, 13:59
You might just want to run windows repair before resorting to a complete reinstall. Boot from the DVD, select your language preferences and then choose repair. You'll have the option to do a system restore from a restore point, or do a startup repair. I recommend the first.

Good luck Roger!

Dumonceau

KellyB
May 3rd, 2014, 03:25
I've been where you are with the idiocy of ms updates. I hope you get it sorted out. It does not look good, but the notion of using repair from your installer is a good option to try.

A bit of humor in a humorless situation.

You could always call this guy. We have all talked to him at one time or another, Yesyes?

PSULLYKEYS
May 20th, 2014, 17:20
After using M$ operating systems for 30+ years, I've had enough of their inept behavior. Anyone who goes online with their trash needs their head examined.:a1310:

SIAI S81
May 21st, 2014, 19:31
I use my old XP not so much now, I prefer to use Ubuntu Linux and Mozilla Firefox..... no problems found :mixed-smiley-010:

napamule
May 22nd, 2014, 19:50
Just to be clear: It's a 'fix' for INTERNET EXPLORER (if used under XP). I have XP SP2 Home, and I DON'T ever use IE for any online activity (any version). I use FireFox, exclusively, to surf the web. So I don't expect to EVER have this 'problem'. Use my head.
Chuck B
Napamule

ViperPilot2
May 23rd, 2014, 08:11
Whether it's IE, FF, Safari, or whatever browser one uses to access the Internet... don't click on Links you're unfamiliar with!

:dizzy: