PDA

View Full Version : A technology question...

Rami
April 27th, 2014, 00:17
Good morning,

Just a quick question after I coaxed my daughter back to sleep...I set up my new laptop yesterday with no issues, but after making sure the new rig was up-and-running, I removed the hard drive from my old laptop, because there were some files on there that I would like to try and retrieve.

I had no way of doing this befordhand, because the old laptop was badly beat-up, and completely died after showing the "white screen of death" for about a month. I have the hard drive sitting here on my desktop in a sealed bag.

The hard drive is a 500MB Western Digital, model WD5000BEVT, the "Scorpio Blue" model.

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be helpful.

Thanks,

henrystreet
April 27th, 2014, 03:00
Something like this.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=2.5%22+disk+enclosure&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Would allow you to plug the old drive to your new laptop and to use it as a backup drive.

Ickie
April 27th, 2014, 03:29
yep the above is how i do it too.

Rami
April 27th, 2014, 05:24
Ickie and Henrystreet,

Okay, thanks. Next question...so how does this work? What does it do?

henrystreet
April 27th, 2014, 05:53
The enclosure is taken apart and the hard drive put inside it. Sounds more complicated than it is. After re-assembly, you hook the enclosure/drive to your laptop using a USB cable (included). The laptop sees it as an external hard drive.

airtj
April 28th, 2014, 06:26
You can also try this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119244

Dangerousdave26
April 28th, 2014, 07:38
Just be sure the enclosure is the right type for your drive.

IDE vs SATA

I have two of these and they are perfect for reusing old drives.

Rami
April 28th, 2014, 14:09
DangerousDave,

It is a SATA drive.

Rami
April 29th, 2014, 01:57
Good morning,

Thanks for the advice, gents. I ordered from Tiger Direct. It should be here on Thursday. :wavey:

Rami
May 1st, 2014, 14:45
Hey guys,

Thanks again! It worked like a charm. Files saved, all of them! :wavey: