PDA

View Full Version : start up time

jackryan172
April 23rd, 2014, 16:01
Hi All,

How long does FS9 take for you to start up? Mine takes upwards 4.5-5 minutes. I think I need to cull a bunch of stuff but I am not sure how or what.

Sean

nigel richards
April 23rd, 2014, 17:19
Sean, you could do what many of us do - make several installations of fs on your machine and spread some of your goodies between them.

That way, your load-up time could shorten drastically.

I currently have five installs; 1l warbirds 2; classic civvies 3; modern military 4; scenery work 5; work testing.

Tom Clayton
April 23rd, 2014, 17:39
As I understand it, the more addons you have, the longer it takes. After a box restart, mine takes about 30 seconds, then after that it's more like 10-15. including the box-stock planes, I only(?) have 101 aircraft folders. I remember when I once had to reinstall FS9 on my old XP rig that the stock install actually started up pretty quick, but then when I dumped in my entire hangar from multiple CD's, it took a couple of minutes. But again, it took much less time to start up after the first time. My guess is there's something cached somewhere that speeds things up, but I'm not sure where that is.

jackryan172
April 23rd, 2014, 19:21
Well that could be a problem. I have 833 folders in the aircraft folder. But 90% of them are AI aircraft so Im kinda stuck there.

Sean

Naismith
April 23rd, 2014, 23:12
Rejoice in the knowledge that you don't run FSX. I can go make a cup of coffee for that beauty to load up. :encouragement:

lemonadedrinker
April 24th, 2014, 05:02
Hi,
My FS9(.1) installation is 21 Gigabytes and 110,000 folders. I don't know if that is large or small , but it only takes a few seconds, maybe 5 to 10 to load and be ready at KSEA with the Cessna; I scroll through the windows and then change to the flight or aircraft I want. When you think of all the AI running about in the background as well it is a pretty amazing program.
My initial thoughts about it taking excessive time to load is that are duplicates confusing it.

Andy.

Mick
April 24th, 2014, 06:05
It's the aircraft. The more aircraft you have, the longer it takes to boot up.

On my old confuter I had about the same number of aircraft as you, and it took about as long to boot up. On my currenct system I'm just getting around to recreating my FS1954 and Golden Wings. I haven't really started on FS54 yet, but in Golden Wings I now have 90 aircraft and it boots up in seconds.

As with you, almost all my aircraft were AI, either dedicated AI planes or flyable planes that were also used as AI.

Long ago, to keep the total aircraft in triple figures, I made a "Hangar" folder to store most of my flyable planes. (For convenience I divided the hangar into sub-folders like "Propliners," "Carrier Planes," and so on, but that's a matter of personal taste.) That way I had about 900 aircraft in the Aircraft folder instead of a few thousand, so at least FS booted up the same day I started it. :playful:

What I'm doing with GW, and plan to do with FS54, is to first rework my AI scheme so as to make maximum use of the minimum number of AI planes. Secondly, I'm drastically reducing the AI and replacing as much of it as possible with static aircraft models placed at the airports I fly from or am likely to visit.

I won't be able to cut down quite as much in FS54 because I'll still use the Cal Classics AI scheme and aircraft, but I should be able to keep the number of AI planes to a couple hundred rather than almost a thousand.

If you really want your FS to boot up quickly, you have no choice but to drastically reduce the number of aircraft you have in the main Aircraft folder.

Or, now that you know the cause of the slow boots, and know that there's no harm in it, you can click to start FS, go fix yourself a sandwich and a beverage, and come back to your confuter after lunch to find FS ready to fly.

rich12545
April 24th, 2014, 08:00
You can hide your AI aircraft. I think there's a freeware program somewhere but I use Addit Pro. Or, it you have the time, you can do it manually by inserting [HIDDEN] in the air file right after the aircraft name and before the dot. That seems to work reducing startup time and you don't need to look at them when setting up your flight.

Sascha66
April 24th, 2014, 10:13
http://www.wolfgang-picheta.de/

This neat freeware program lets you manage a lot of FS stuff including your aircraft folders. There is a dl link for English language speakers on the right.

Sascha

Dev One
April 24th, 2014, 11:26
My FSX starts up a lot quicker when I've disabled my Just Flight VFR scenery.......! Its still slow though compared with FS9, which doesn't have so much addon scenery. Thats one reason why I prefer to use FS9 for creating my models.
Keith

Motormouse
April 25th, 2014, 02:30
You can hide your AI aircraft. I think there's a freeware program somewhere but I use Addit Pro. Or, it you have the time, you can do it manually by inserting [HIDDEN] in the air file right after the aircraft name and before the dot. That seems to work reducing startup time and you don't need to look at them when setting up your flight.

Thats' a neat tip.

---> off to find how to edit air files --->

ttfn

Pete

Navtech
April 25th, 2014, 04:42
FS2004 (ACOF) - Misc. FS2004/FSX Air Ed
[ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=137674) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fsview.php?do=list&fid=137674) ]
Name: godaired.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=137674)
Size: 217,305 Date: 08-06-2009 Downloads: 3,910

http://www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles/o/godaired.gif
FS2004/FSX Air Ed. This is a good copy of AirEd by William M. Roth. The uploader noticed that other versions of this utility are missing things. Like in primary aerodynamics under lift, there should be 8 records, not 6. This upload is for anyone who is trying to tweak the flight dynamics of FS2004 or FSX aircraft and might have been having a problem. Uploaded by Bob Chicilo.

UKVoodoo
April 25th, 2014, 23:58
I store all Scenery and Aircraft in separate folders and copy them into my live FS9 folders when I need them, keeps the loading to a minimum :biggrin-new:

rpjkw
April 26th, 2014, 05:33
I store all Scenery and Aircraft in separate folders and copy them into my live FS9 folders when I need them, keeps the loading to a minimum :biggrin-new:

I've never done that with scenery, but traffic between my "off FS9 hangar" and live aircraft can, at times, rivaled Atlanta. UKV, do you copy what you want before opening FS9, or is it possible to do on the fly, so to speak? I would always give a little thought as to what I wanted to fly, and move those aircraft before opening FS9. Also, do you have to "activate" freshly moved scenery in the long scenery list within FS9?

The best thing I've ever done is install SSD's in my desktop. I have three (C:, D: FS9, E: FSX), but I think one large SSD will work for both FS9 and FSX. BUT, though prices are tumbling, an SSD is not cheap. Note: An SSD will speed up all loading so everything is smoother overall, but it will NOT improve FRAPS. I honestly can't say an SSD is worth the extra cash, but I'd decided next build I would incorporate them and, so far, I'm quite happy with them. NO MORE defragging HDDs!

Bob

rich12545
April 26th, 2014, 05:34
Thats' a neat tip.

---> off to find how to edit air files --->

ttfn

Pete

It's just renaming like you'd do with any file.

UKVoodoo
April 27th, 2014, 03:26
I've never done that with scenery, but traffic between my "off FS9 hangar" and live aircraft can, at times, rivaled Atlanta. UKV, do you copy what you want before opening FS9, or is it possible to do on the fly, so to speak? I would always give a little thought as to what I wanted to fly, and move those aircraft before opening FS9. Also, do you have to "activate" freshly moved scenery in the long scenery list within FS9?

Bob

As long as your not in the current aircraft you want to move then transferring aircraft files is fine, Scenery will probably throw up problems within the scenery.cfg so I move scenery before and activate all at once before reloading

michaelvader
April 27th, 2014, 05:45
Hallo every one, every one hallo,

as I told in some of my releases I have an old "steampowered" pc:
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual
Core Processor 47200+
2.21 GHz, 2.00 GB Ram
separate graphic car
NVidea GeForce GT 520
I have two separate FS2004installations:
the "normal one with a lot of planes (about 90.4 GB of disk place)
and Add one scenery (21.5 GB of disk place)
the other which I use most the time
is a golden wings configuration
with "only" classic and warplanes ( taking 24.7 GB of place on the disk)
an add on scenery covering mainly central europe with Great britain, germany, france and benelux (with 6.24 GB)

when i start my FSGW3 configuration, with choosing my favorite airplane of the moment (Lockheed PV-2 Tanker)
on my favorite site (Vannes-Meucon, Brittany) it takes 9 minutes till I can fire up the engines of my plane.
BUT; all would be allright when I was not surfing on the net or did something else before (like working on a cockpit)
because than I would have flickering scenery and texture of the plane and shortly after a total blocking or crash to disktop.
And in summer on very hot days no need to try as the pc heats up until 75° celsius!
Hmmm a newer pc would be fine, "would"

Milton Shupe
April 27th, 2014, 09:45
One FS9 installation with mainly default everything plus the projects we are working on.

Start-up takes about 65 seconds with almost half of that waiting for the FS9 CD to spin up and validation.

I have all my other keeper aircraft in a HoldAircraft folder.

I keep a pretty clean default setup for testing against the default FS9 world, sliders full right on everything.
This way I can ensure that the aircraft we put out are tested against FS9 rather than a world of add-ons.