PDA

View Full Version : GPS and Multiple waypoints

falcon409
April 12th, 2014, 08:10
I think I know the answer to this, but I really only use the basic GPS to do single flights. I've lost my patience with the Flight Planner in P3D (or FSX for that matter) after repeated crashes after setting up a complex flight plan and having to restart the sim, I'm looking for another way to incorporate a decent flight plan without using the built-in flight planner. So, will the basic GPS perform that function and if so, how?

Alan_A
April 12th, 2014, 09:50
I've been using Plan G (freeware) to build VFR plans for P3D 2.1. Haven't used it in 2.2 yet. You need to make sure it's pointed at the right folder (IIRC it's the LM/P3D folder under Documents, but I'm doing this from memory so I can't swear to it), then export the plan in FSX (.pln) format. Good program, much more capable than the default planner. I'm running way behind in my P3D 2.2 testing, so it's possible there are issues with it, but I haven't heard of any. Hope this helps.

falcon409
April 12th, 2014, 10:49
I've been using Plan G (freeware) to build VFR plans for P3D 2.1. Haven't used it in 2.2 yet. You need to make sure it's pointed at the right folder (IIRC it's the LM/P3D folder under Documents, but I'm doing this from memory so I can't swear to it), then export the plan in FSX (.pln) format. Good program, much more capable than the default planner. I'm running way behind in my P3D 2.2 testing, so it's possible there are issues with it, but I haven't heard of any. Hope this helps.
Thanks Alan. I have used PlanG in the past but it got to the point of being so sluggish that I finally had to dump it. FSTramp will be adding the Flight Planner option with the next update, so that will solve the problem for me. I guess for now I'll just use the base GPS for Direct_To flights.

Shane Strong CYHZ
April 12th, 2014, 11:21
they have put out a patch for the flight planner gps crashing yesterday for p3d not sure if that will help you out

falcon409
April 12th, 2014, 12:01
Shane, I found the thread where several folks talked about the Flight Planner crashing, but I didn't see any follow-up for any update.

paiken
April 12th, 2014, 12:54
I installed the hotfix for the flight planner. It works as advertised and you can now use the flight planner in sim without it crashing.

falcon409
April 12th, 2014, 13:13
I installed the hotfix for the flight planner. It works as advertised and you can now use the flight planner in sim without it crashing.
That's what I'd like to find, but so far I don't see where it's posted. A link?

Dimus
April 12th, 2014, 13:15
Here you go Ed:

http://cloud.prepar3d.com/patch/prepar3d_academic_professional_(flight_planner_dll s).zip

And thread about it at the P3D forum:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=6453

falcon409
April 12th, 2014, 13:32
Ok, that's nuts, I've got two posts on that forum and was just on there earlier today and looked at the top area, and it was not there. Actually one of my questions was about that very problem and several folks posted answers and apparently neither of them saw it either or they might have mentioned it. Oh well, thanks!:dizzy:

jsapair
April 12th, 2014, 14:38
Thanks Alan. I have used PlanG in the past but it got to the point of being so sluggish that I finally had to dump it. FSTramp will be adding the Flight Planner option with the next update, so that will solve the problem for me. I guess for now I'll just use the base GPS for Direct_To flights.

PlanG has a new version out, 3.1. Far superior to previous versions. I'm running FSX in DX10. No 'stack overflow' problems and easy to export to .pln. You might want to give it a try.