PDA

View Full Version : A bit of Conversation?

falcon409
April 5th, 2014, 07:25
Just a few things to liven up a rather quiet forum: The last update on the Developers Blog concerning the V2.2 Update was two weeks ago. . .where they mentioned it would be ready in "a few weeks". Depending on what you consider "a few weeks" that could mean tomorrow. . .or a "few more". It's release and subsequent user feedback will greatly determine whether I stay with V2.0 or give the update a test. . .I'm done being a beta tester, either it works or it doesn't. We'll see.

Going back to the "quiet Forum". Not much goes on here. Certainly not like the other forums. I think even the FS9 forum has more happening than the P3D Forum does. So for the sake of conversation. . .why is that? Are folks just waiting to see what happens next. . .are you flying the sim so much you are busy with that and nothing to chat about. . .is it partly because scenery and other addons aren't coming along as much as you'd like? Some other factors that keep this forum so quiet? Just wondering.

Daube
April 5th, 2014, 07:32
The 2.2 patch has been announced somewhere for "monday 7th at the soonest", which doesn't mean much since it could be delayed...

n4gix
April 5th, 2014, 07:39
Quite a few of us "solution developers" will be testing out the release candidate v2.2 this weekend. Assuming no "show stoppers" are found, it should be released on Monday as advertised... <fingers-crossed-mode:ON> :encouragement:

falcon409
April 5th, 2014, 08:03
Good info there Daube and Bill. I look forward to the eventual customer feedback once folks start evaluating it.:applause:

Daube
April 5th, 2014, 08:19
I plan to download that 2.2 patch as soon as I reasonnably can, because that patch not only contains many memory handling fixes, it also contains THE fix for the flashing autogen trees on dense forests, which is one of the main bugs preventing me to enjoy that sim on my photoreal sceneries.
I'm not sure I'll be able to download and install it on the same day it gets released, but "as soon as I can".

paiken
April 5th, 2014, 08:39
Just waiting for the patch...again. Like you, I really have no interest in being a 'beta tester', but would rather have a stable platform that I will be able to use on a regular basis. I'm hoping the 2.2 update will do the trick for me and allow me to enjoy flying around with a useable frame rate.

SkippyBing
April 5th, 2014, 08:55
I'm looking forward to the update, mainly to see how the radar modes work and the updated flight recorder that also plays back AI traffic etc.

I think one of the reasons for the forum being relatively quiet is that most people are using P3D to run FSX add-ons so it's not yet the natural go to area unless you've got a specific problem. My guess is that as P3D diverges and developers start doing P3D only add-ons that may change. Having said that I now wonder if I should do a P3D only aircraft to see what happens...

falcon409
April 5th, 2014, 09:07
. . . . . .Having said that I now wonder if I should do a P3D only aircraft to see what happens...
Hey. . . .how 'bout the Hawker Sea Fury as a test?? lol:jump:

Naismith
April 5th, 2014, 10:10
I am awaiting to see how things pan out, I have v1.4 of P3D and felt ripped off by it that I am not willing to risk disappointment again, it sits unused on the HDD for over 1 year. Having spent so much on FS9 and FSX with add-ons, I am also loathe to abandon them, plus FSX is running so sweetly at the moment (today at least, tomorrow it will probably let me down :untroubled:) that I have little reason to move on (up?).

Mach3DS
April 5th, 2014, 11:46
Can't wait for Bill to test it...and for Milviz to start incorporating the P3Dv2x into their products. I get such amazing performance in P3Dv2 with all the additional features that it has, that it's difficult to go back to FSX -- even though I get the same performance in FSX. My only reason for going back is that not all addons are compliant with P3Dv2 at this time, meaning for some of my favorites, I get random CTD's or OOM errors, or model errors. For example, Warbirdsim Drop tanks will not load in P3Dv2x for me. Certain repaint versions of QW BAe146/RJ will give OOM errors while others don't. it's very strange in deed. Certain lights will work on certain addons, while none of the 3D lights from FSX aircraft work for me.

Clutch Cargo
April 6th, 2014, 07:41
I've been busy "planning" for the release by way of updating my GA and airliner AI with new lighting, new models, new sounds. Been moving around scenery to new HDD's, trying new cloud textures. Working on some P3D development, just lot's of housecleaning I never take the time to do. But since I have not had the issues others have I've been having some great fun flying in Montana and Wyoming as of late. If 2.2 comes tomorrow I've got the day set aside for it otherwise I have plenty to keep my busy. :biggrin-new:

n4gix
April 7th, 2014, 05:22
For whatever it's worth, I've yet to exhaust VAS in v2.2, despite having enabled all possible shadow cast/receive options, and cranked the autogen up.

I did manage to get a couple of "dings" from FSUIPC, but that was only after having "Reload(ed) User Object" about thirty times while debugging some XML gauge scripts... :redfire:

falcon409
April 7th, 2014, 05:25
For whatever it's worth, I've yet to exhaust VAS in v2.2, despite having enabled all possible shadow cast/receive options, and cranked the autogen up.
I did manage to get a couple of "dings" from FSUIPC, but that was only after having "Reload(ed) User Object" about thirty times while debugging some XML gauge scripts...
Looking forward to the release and seeing what everyone says about it. Bill do you know if this will be a cumulative update (with 2.1 updates included) or will I need to eventually update to 2.1 then add the 2.2 update?

AussieMan
April 7th, 2014, 15:33
It's available no Ed. Downloading it as I type. You have a choice of either downloading the 107MB update or the full 10GB P3D V2.2 version. Your call.

vora
April 8th, 2014, 06:41
... Bill do you know if this will be a cumulative update (with 2.1 updates included) or will I need to eventually update to 2.1 then add the 2.2 update?
Nope, it's not cumulative. I'd recommend a full install if you don't have too much addons on 2.0.
It's really worth it, 2.2 is a huuuge improvement from 2.1, almost a new sim.

jschall
April 8th, 2014, 11:42
What improvements have you noticed, vora?

Daube
April 8th, 2014, 12:18
Just tested the 2.2 version, just patched, not a full reinstall. I did however delete the shaders and other folders that are recommended to delete on the LM forums. As a consequence, I had to completely reconfigure the sim graphical options, key assignments, and re-declare my various sceneries in the scenery library, because everything was gone...
Also had to tweak a bit the Prepar3D.cfg, since I regenerated a new one. For the moment, I have only set the WideViewAspect to true, and the LOD_RADIUS to 8.5.
I haven't yet added the various modules to the DLL and EXE.xlm, will do that later.

It is indeed a huge improvement over the past two versions 2.0 and 2.1.
The FPS limit, set internally to 30 FPS, was quite stable, even with the fairly high level of details currently set in my options.
I have tested over a France VFR photorealistic scenery, with added freeware extremely dense autogen. The autogen bug is gone. I can now enjoy the scenery with the pop_free_autogen active, and no flashing areas at all. No OOMs yet, either ! :jump:

I was using the "Fair Weather" theme, in order to see some cloud shadows. That option seems to become expensive once the clouds become too dense, but in fair weather it's quite comfortable, I could maintain the 30 FPS limit, with some minor oscillations. I will soon test with unlimited FPS. The effect of the varying lighting when you fly under a cloud, in an open cockpit airplane like the Waco, is really pleasant. :encouragement:

Also, I could test a fast jet. Mach 0.8 only (annoying overspeed because of my ordnance) at low altitude: no autogen popping, no flashing, and no blurries :applause:
In 2.0, I could fly Mach 1.5 with almost no blurries, I will try that again in 2.2 (I didn't have the right plane).

So far I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results.
My computer is an old i7 960 @3,2GHz (overclocked to 3,6 GHz I believe...) with a NVidia GTX480.

falcon409
April 8th, 2014, 15:45
Nope, it's not cumulative. I'd recommend a full install if you don't have too much addons on 2.0.
Thanks, that's what I opted for. I had problems with patching 2.0 to 2.1 and ended up downloading the full install as well, so this time around I was definitely going for the full installation.

AussieMan
April 8th, 2014, 18:32
As I had reinstalled V2.1 a couple of weeks ago and got all my aircraft and scenery back to where I wanted it I opted just for the upgrade but will be downloading the full install so I am prepared for the next time.

One thing I am most impressed with is the shadowing, especially the clouds. The scenery also seem crisper and there is a great lack of the dreaded blurries.

vora
April 8th, 2014, 23:55
All problems I had with 2.1 are simply blown away. Moreover I could put all my sliders to the right and have a smooth flight... an FS premiere for me. The cloud shadows are not just a nice feature but a JUMP in immersion - the world becomes extremely 3D and believable now. For the first time in my FS career (which started with a C64) I'm actually considering a real weather addon, probably ASN.
If only all patches were like this one.

Chris Sykes
April 9th, 2014, 00:23
REX doesnt work well i found out last night, poor FPS, stuttering and lagging! No REX Prepar3d runs really well 20-30fps no stuttering or lagging. Ill agree with the look of v2.2, its more realistic, especially going through the cloud shadows.

spatialpro
April 15th, 2014, 02:41
My guess is that as P3D diverges and developers start doing P3D only add-ons that may change. Having said that I now wonder if I should do a P3D only aircraft to see what happens...

I guess the same too.

Yes Phil, please do a P3D only aircraft! How about that idea of using the new v2.2 radar functionality for the Buccaneer S1 and S2? How about making the Phantoms P3D only?

Andy

SkippyBing
April 15th, 2014, 15:54
I guess the same too.

Yes Phil, please do a P3D only aircraft! How about that idea of using the new v2.2 radar functionality for the Buccaneer S1 and S2? How about making the Phantoms P3D only?

Andy

Part of the reason for reworking the Buccaneer radar is so I can get to grips with the new tools before putting them in a new aircraft. I think what we'll probably do is start building things using all the P3D tools and materials settings etc. and then 'dumb' them down for FSX.
This is all a way off mind as I went on holiday two days after V2.2 came out so I haven't even looked at the SDK yet. I do have killer sunburn from skiing though...