PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, please - P3D or FSX for me?

jschall
April 3rd, 2014, 12:41
Like so many of you in this Forum, I have invested a lot of time, effort and money getting FSX to run reasonably well. With my new PC (Quad-core, Haswell at 3.4 GHz, Radeon HD R9 270, 256 GB SSD, 2TB HD, 24GB RAM) I get smooth graphics at 70+FPS.

I have just installed Prepar3D v2.1 on the same SSD as FSX. The only add-ons I have installed are FSForce and FSTramp. The only Tweaks to Prepar3D.CFG are TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 and WideViewAspect=True.

I have not much explored P3D as yet, but my first impression is that to get an experience similar to FSX, I have to add programs like SimStarter and Active Sky to easily create scenarios and get real-world weather.

So I am wondering whether I should continue to spend energy and cash to improve my experience with P3D, putting FSX on the back burner.

I have read many reviews and opinions saying P3D is "more stable" than FSX, without any concrete benchmarks. Are there any scenarios you could reccommend that would reveal P3D's improved "stability" vs. the same scenario in FSX? For example, I have installed the A2A C172 in both sims. If I fly it over a default area like New York City/KJFK in both sims, will the difference become apparent?

I'm sure many of you have asked yourselves the same question months or years ago. What convinced you to throw your energy and cash behind Prepar3D?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Daube
April 3rd, 2014, 12:58
Wait until patch 2.2 is available for P3D. Then you can start testing seriously.
At the moment, P3D is anything but stable.
Now is not the time to take decision. P3D is evolving quickly. FSX is not. Now is not the time to compare them.

falcon409
April 3rd, 2014, 15:06
Wait until patch 2.2 is available for P3D. Then you can start testing seriously.
Now is not the time to take decision. P3D is evolving quickly. FSX is not. Now is not the time to compare them.
I agree Daube!

Clutch Cargo
April 4th, 2014, 07:47
And according to LM 2.2 should be out this Monday. :jump:

jschall
April 4th, 2014, 07:52

Thank you, Daube and Ed. I'm sure you know what you're talking about. But what do you mean by "anything but stable"? Compared to FSX? Compared to P3D v1?

I've only flown P3D v2.1 in the 172, around the block. What would reveal its instability?

Naismith
April 4th, 2014, 09:58
Lol as if FSX could be described as stable. Hilarious. :biggrin-new:

Daube
April 4th, 2014, 10:54
Thank you, Daube and Ed. I'm sure you know what you're talking about. But what do you mean by "anything but stable"? Compared to FSX? Compared to P3D v1?

I've only flown P3D v2.1 in the 172, around the block. What would reveal its instability?

P3D 2.1 has many problems regarding the usage of the memory. From what can be read on the forums, if you manage to fly for more than 15-30 minutes without a crash to desktop, you can consider yourself lucky :)
As soon as you install addons, complex sceneries, and you push the graphic details a bit, the memory consumption of the sim becomes problematic.
LM was fully aware of that and made some very important fixes in the next patch, which will be number 2.2.
So for the moment, we're all waiting for that new patch, which is supposed to appear somewhere in the next 7 to 10 days.

In any case, for the moment, it's all about analyzing and making tests. We can't really take a decision like "that's it, I don't need FSX anymore". See what I mean ? :)

jschall
April 5th, 2014, 03:58
Thank you, gentlemen. I guess I'm just lucky - I flew around Manhattan for more than a half-hour before landing at Newark with no problems. Stock scenery was terrific, my only add-ons being FSForce and FSTramp.

I will look forward to 2.2....

Dumonceau
April 5th, 2014, 07:59
Lol as if FSX could be described as stable. Hilarious. :biggrin-new:

ROFLMAO!!! You got a point there!

Now, if LM would do something for us SLI users, I would make the plunge instantly!